• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are Microsoft comms on Xbox One X launch getting through?

mandiller

Everyone I know left Microsoft at the start of this gen, me included. I don't see why they'd come back or be interested in an Xbox One X. It's still an Xbox.

TBiddy

Something more than "the most powerful console ever". There's precious little on Xbox Wire and the Xbox channel on Youtube. I shouldn't have to rely on Digital Foundry to tell me what my £450 gets me.

I'm sure a marketing push of some description will happen pre-release and we'll find out what that XB1X exclusive BC feature they have yet to reveal is soon enough but it would be nice to have known more and a lot sooner.

It's being marketed towards a niche of gamers, who keep up with E3, news and stuff like that. What did you expect? A worldwide campaign? It's not a new generation console.

Everyone I know left Microsoft at the start of this gen, me included. I don't see why they'd come back or be interested in an Xbox One X. It's still an Xbox.

Cool.

I am a PS user but I am not going to lie, Xbox hardware design has been much more attractive to me this generation compared to PlayStation's effort. Actually, I have not gotten any system this generation, and might just skip this generation and wait until the PS5 and the Xbox X2 comes out. :)

Syrus

Banned

Because maybe a group of people left mainly becausethe hardware was underpowered and now its not?

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
As much as they are marketing it I'm shocked anyone doesn't know if they are into video games.

Compared to how lil Sony initially marketed the Pro. Even now Sony barely does.

I think the naming doesn't help. Hopefully the iPhone X will do it some favours (by hope, I just mean hopefully it sales based on its technical merits, not its name choice), but I think before that, the name Xbox One X is a bit more like a Wii U situation again. At least with Pro (or even One S), thanks to other companies (mostly Apple) there's a little bit more familiarity with what Pro means in terms of performance improvements. I think I could make the argument without anecdotes but I've heard it a few times, too. That said, in a fortunate twist, the use of X by Apple could actually help MS out.

All that said, this mostly only affects people that were probably never even going to consider a gaming platform until holidays as anyhow. So MS has plenty of time market to them. For now they only need market to launch buyers and they know what an X is.

Spades

Those same people probably had no idea what a PS4 Pro was, either.

I'd also go so far to say that the majority of users couldn't tell you the differences between the iPhone 6 and the iPhone 6S.

It's sort of one of those things you know about if you want one.

So I've had a number of conversations with people I work with in IT lately about getting an Xbox One X, and all of them have the same question:

What's an Xbox One X?

With less than 3 weeks til launch, it feels like people don't even know this thing exists.

I know three people who dont know what a iPhone X is, what a ps4 pro is, and what a mario odyssey is.... sounds like you used your small tiny part of the world to make a negative MS thread.
All those things i mentioned earlier have, or will sell fine...and from the looks of it, the Xbox One X pre order is sold out at most retailers and will sell fine to the premium audience, just like the PS4 Pro has... but just like the PS4 Pro, individual sells probably wont be given (officially confirmed), and it will just be XBOX family sold this or that.

R_Deckard

So I've had a number of conversations with people I work with in IT lately about getting an Xbox One X, and all of them have the same question:

What's an Xbox One X?

With less than 3 weeks til launch, it feels like people don't even know this thing exists.

I thought it was already out, just goes to show.

tuco11

shit , i am still waiting for them to show me some video evidence of why it is worth upgrading to the X with a 1080p tv. Unless there really isnt any benefit.

Rymuth

Phil said, "Xbox One X isn't for everyone."

The hardcore already knows about it and that's enough since they're guaranteed to line up and upgrade their consoles. I imagine there's not much to be gained from a media blowout.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
When does it launch? I haven't seen any advertising for it here in the UK but I'm sure a couple of months beforehand they'll start to kick off the publicity for it, and a month from launch it'll be everywhere.

Bramble

The X is just a weird product, created by Microsoft as a panic reaction after the PS4 Neo rumours. It's too expensive for casual gamers because it doesn't have exclusives and it doesn't have any shocking advantages vs. PS4 Pro like 30fps vs. 60fps. And it's not interesting for die hard gamers with a lot of of cash, because they already have a PC that plays Microsoft and multiplatform games with better graphics than any console available.

So there's just not a lot of buzz, because it's simply just a weird piece of hardware without any system selling USP's and it will probably flop.

I'm sure it'll be cutting it close, but it wouldn't be surprising to find out that they want to heavily tie the upcoming releases of the Super Duper Graphics Pack for Minecraft and PUBG into their X1X rollout. Those are both likely November launches.

Keinning

This is not a new console
This will not get the market push of a new console
They'll be fine judging by pre-orders

What do threads on an enthusiast forum and Digital Foundry analyses have to do with official Microsoft marketing?

Users of enthusiast forums and viewers of digital foundry are the main target for the One X

It's too expensive for casual gamers because it doesn't have exclusives and it doesn't have any shocking advantages vs. PS4 Pro like 30fps vs. 60fps.

it does have a great advantage over pro to me, which is playing my entire X1 and some 360 and soon OG xbox games instead of rebuilding my library

the one X is not coming to steal PS4PRO users away

Yeah, my mom doesn't know what an X is either. I guess it's going to fail.

If you play video games, you know what the Xbox One X is.

What?

People who care about videogames enough know what it is. They're showcasing it at video game events showing it's the most powerful console around. It can even be played. Game ads like Shadow Of War showcase the S and X alike. Most Xbox-related news nowadays involve the X. At this point if you don't know what an X is you aren't following any videogame related website, channel or whatever. I could not hear about it almost daily even if I tried.

Took 8 replies, I'm disappointed.

It's obvious just another MS thread to shit on..

X is being showcased everywhere if there's an opportunity to do so..OP you and i know it you opened this thread to sit back and watch drama to unfold.

LycanXIII

Genuine question, but is there much point advertising a launch that's already sold through it's launch allotment pretty much? I guess you'd get some people to pick up an S. I guess also that you'd help generate buzz about the system if more people wanted it and couldn't get it.

On the other hand, if demand is currently ahead of supply, why not hold back those advertising dollars until they have more product to sell?
The Scorpio edition is sold out, but several places still have the normal version available.

gypsygib

Xbox ONE X would probably do more harm than good with large scale advertising. The average consumer wouldn't know what's the difference and would simply end up confused.

A good number of people had no idea what the Wii U was, some of my casual gamer friends that owned a Wii thought it was just a Wii with a tablet controller..while the Wii they loved slowly received no more games.

Ads for the X show up in my twitter feed with more regularity as the launch approaches. I would guess at this time next year there will be quite a few promo's along with cheaper 4k TV's for both UHD consoles. I'm not a marketing person but I suspect that when people look at the 'Apple TV 4k' they have a pretty good idea what the thing does. Not sure why Sony and MS are opposed to sticking that on the console name.

Bramble

This is not a new console
This will not get the market push of a new console
They'll be fine judging by pre-orders

Users of enthusiast forums and viewers of digital foundry are the main target for the One X

it does have a great advantage over pro to me, which is playing my entire X1 and some 360 and soon OG xbox games instead of rebuilding my library

the one X is not coming to steal PS4PRO users away

True, but I highly doubt people like you are Microsofts target audience.

There are way cheaper ways to play old 360 games. It's not like these are gonna run in native 4K or something on X1X. And if you already own an X1 (apparently), you already can do that.

Keinning

True, but I highly doubt people like you are Microsofts target audience.

You would be wrong then, because people like me are the target audience alright. Have a X1 with some games on it, part of gaming forums, usual viewer of comparison videos, felt my x1 is underperforming each new game which is coming out... i have more reasons to jump for a X1X than most people.

It's not just 360 games that will get better.

Because many of them left due to PS4 being the most powerful console, the 720p debacle and all. At that time PS4 didn't have the strong line-up it has now, and most of the people switched just because of da powa. The X aims to gain back part of these, more power-sensible, people.

Luckydog

It's the same thing as what happened when the pro launched or a new GPU/CPU launch.

The target demographic will be aware of it but it would be a waste to market the product to anybody outside of that because they wouldn't see the value in it.

/thread ? At least MS seemed to be more clear about what this thing is and who its for (not the masses) but yea, I think the target demographic is aware....

Luckydog

the messaging is being muddied somewhat by the fact it isn't the uncompromising native 4k system it was made out to be. and even if it WAS, there has been a system on the market for a year now touting 4k already (it's kind of irrelevant that it's checkerboarded)......

Hysterical, keep on fighting the good fight warrior.

Breakage

Got a feeling it's gonna sink in the UK. I just can't see many people parting with £450 for an uprated version of a 2013 platform, especially with the way the economy is looking.

ShinAmano

The X is just a weird product, created by Microsoft as a panic reaction after the PS4 Neo rumours. It's too expensive for casual gamers because it doesn't have exclusives and it doesn't have any shocking advantages vs. PS4 Pro like 30fps vs. 60fps. And it's not interesting for die hard gamers with a lot of of cash, because they already have a PC that plays Microsoft and multiplatform games with better graphics than any console available.

So there's just not a lot of buzz, because it's simply just a weird piece of hardware without any system selling USP's and it will probably flop.
Lol

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
They're doing the same thing as Sony. This is a premium console not meant to be their main offering, so they aren't pushing it everywhere with millions of marketing dollars. The S is their primary console and will get the most marketing.

MilkyJoe

Because maybe a group of people left mainly becausethe hardware was underpowered and now its not?

I would have, except for the shitty controller.

On topic, my IT team know what it is, as does my friend who's teacher. Where does op live?

The last "news" I remember seeing were those "behind the scenes" interviews that they had tech outlets write about. They are very much marketing the One X towards the "hardcore" for day one but supposedly there's a bigger push they're planning.

As many others have noted, the One X isn't going to be for everyone and they're right to focus on making the One S more known to general consumers. If they're serious about the future of the platform, I think we'll see a bigger "mainstream" push for the One X come next fall.

iswasdoes

Soft launch. Its a niche offer - not their main console or where they will drive volume for the business. Their budgets will be focused on some targeted digital advertising for launch, then do a big campaign around one s for black friday/xmas, probably with a price drop

TBiddy

Oh dear. Do you actually know how long it takes to build a friggin console?

Other than that, you're just missing "no games" from your list, and then we have a full bullshit bingo card.

mandiller

The point I'm making is that all their friends are now on Playstation. They are unlikely to buy a system they don't have any friends on. Every multiplatform MP game they will buy on PS4 anyway, even if they had an Xbox. And out of all my gamer friends only two of them have both systems. None of them have even seemed interested in the idea of upgrading to a One X.

That's not the say the One X isn't an awesome, super powerful system. It is. I've played one and been very impressed. But in my personal experience the ship has long sailed. People have chosen their teams for this generation.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
They are doing the same thing Sony did with the Pro, which is the right approach IMO, it's an upgrade for those that want it that doesn't rock the boat too much.

This makes all those hot takes from last year about the death of consoles all the more laughable.

Green Yoshi

It's the same thing as what happened when the pro launched or a new GPU/CPU launch.

The target demographic will be aware of it but it would be a waste to market the product to anybody outside of that because they wouldn't see the value in it.
Sony promoted the PS4 Pro at the Champions League (most important soccer championship in Europe) with slogans like "Supercharged PS4" and "Dynamic 4K".

It does seem exceptionally quiet, even in hardcore circles, but I think not having a highly anticipated game attached to it is a strongly related cause.

onQ123

It's not really a mass market product yet so they probably not going to do too much marketing for it until it's cheaper for them to make. PS4 Pro has been out for almost a year & it's still not really known by the masses.

Nintendo seem to get by OK.

Nintendo have released, what 4-5 major first party titles this year already? With Mario Odyssey set for next week. Two GoTY contenders in one year. It's not exactly comparable to the dire straights that the Xbox One first party line up has been in this year. There's been more cancellations/delays than new game announcements.

To the OPs point, this should have been expected. Microsoft are fully aware that this isn't going to be treated like a new console generation by anyone except their most hardcore fans. No point spending millions marketing a console that is not only expensive, but is also just going to appeal to a niche audience. Blew my mind how people on GAF were hyping this thing like it was anything more than an upgraded Xbox One.

It's a more powerful Xbox One, not a new system with a library of its own. I think it will do ok in the likes of US and UK, particularly in the first few months. A couple of my friends have it pre ordered, they have nice 4k TVs so they are ready to go. I personally begrudge giving them the money anymore though, this year from them disappointed me no end, being a passionate fan has its limits.

Duxxy3

Without any exclusives it's hard for me to justify it. Before play anywhere I would have jumped at the chance to get a more powerful XB1. Now though... why would I?

edit: It's also $100 more than I'd spend.

Top Bottom