• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are Microsoft comms on Xbox One X launch getting through?

The 'Pro' and 'X' aren't getting through to a general population. Outside of enthusiast console gaming circles, nobody knows there's a PS4 Pro or Xbox One X. I have friends/coworkers interested in buying a PS4 over the last 12 months who, even up to the day they were buying one, didn't know that there was a 'Pro' version, and when I asked about it just assumed that meant a bigger hard drive (similar to the SKUs from last gen). Neither Sony nor Microsoft are targeting a casual audience.

If you watch NFL football, contrast the number of Xbox One and Xbox One S commercials we got last year during NFL season to the number of Xbox One X commercials we're getting this year during NFL season. Last year, every commercial break had an ad for the S, advertising typically Madden, Forza, and 4K movies. This year, there are precisely zero Xbox One X ad spots, any ads for the Xbox One have been largely the same: Madden, Forza, and 4K movies on the S.

It's clear that Microsoft is targeting an enthusiast market.

AmyS

I know what Xbox One X is, I've been counting down the weeks and days since I preordered in August.

I also know it's going to have the best console version of Metro: Exodus! (next year).

metro-exodus.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

The 'Pro' and 'X' aren't getting through to a general population. Outside of enthusiast console gaming circles, nobody knows there's a PS4 Pro or Xbox One X. I have friends/coworkers interested in buying a PS4 over the last 12 months who, even up to the day they were buying one, didn't know that there was a 'Pro' version, and when I asked about it just assumed that meant a bigger hard drive (similar to the SKUs from last gen). Neither Sony nor Microsoft are targeting a casual audience.

If you watch NFL football, contrast the number of Xbox One and Xbox One S commercials we got last year during NFL season to the number of Xbox One X commercials we're getting this year during NFL season. Last year, every commercial break had an ad for the S, advertising typically Madden, Forza, and 4K movies. This year, there are precisely zero Xbox One X ad spots, any ads for the Xbox One have been largely the same: Madden, Forza, and 4K movies on the S.

It's clear that Microsoft is targeting an enthusiast market.

603353-xboxonexcons.ff607162557.original.jpg

Doesn't this show at the end of the game ads now? Wouldn't that count as an X advertisement?

Somnia

I do think Nov/Dec will see a good boost due to the X, but after that who knows.

Between the 3 GameStops in town the X (scorpio and regular edition) have 89 pre-orders on the X. It's going to sell pretty good for the holiday season, but beyond that is the real question.

Doesn't this show at the end of the game ads now? Wouldn't that count as an X advertisement?

They even changed the logo of the One S to actually include the S (previously the marketing just said "Xbox One") to help differentiate between it and the higher-end model. I think the presence of the X is getting communicated in a lot of small ways that are going to add up.

However, as has been stated in this thread already, it's tough to market a $500 box to the casual console consumer, even if it's a crazy good box at that price point. Sony learned this the hard way last generation.

Now, as the generation goes on and the cost of the X comes down, the marketing might shift to emphasize it even more. Right now, it still seems like a hard sell outside of the hardcore audience, but in 2019 when it can be sold for $350-400 (or even less around the holidays), it might seem like a much better value proposition. I definitely think it will take a few years to truly tell if these mid-gen upgrades are worth it. As a PS4 Pro owner, I also think that in the long term Microsoft likely adopted the better strategy with a more meaningful mid-gen upgrade, even if it's a harder sell at launch.

They even changed the logo of the One S to actually include the S (previously the marketing just said "Xbox One") to help differentiate between it and the higher-end model. I think the presence of the X is getting communicated in a lot of small ways that are going to add up.

However, as has been stated in this thread already, it's tough to market a $500 box to the casual console consumer, even if it's a crazy good box at that price point. Sony learned this the hard way last generation.

Now, as the generation goes on and the cost of the X comes down, the marketing might shift to emphasize it even more. Right now, it still seems like a hard sell outside of the hardcore audience, but in 2019 when it can be sold for $350-400 (or even less around the holidays), it might seem like a much better value proposition. I definitely think it will take a few years to truly tell if these mid-gen upgrades are worth it. As a PS4 Pro owner, I also think that in the long term Microsoft likely adopted the better strategy with a more meaningful mid-gen upgrade, even if it's a harder sell at launch.

I agree, but remember the OG X1 was $500 that included the now dead Kinect 2.0 that doesn't get support. So there are buyers out there. Hell, I was one of them. I wouldn't say I got taken, but the lack of Kinect support made me trade to a PS4 until the One S came out.

/thread ? At least MS seemed to be more clear about what this thing is and who its for (not the masses) but yea, I think the target demographic is aware....

I’ll definitely give them that. That pro conference with cerny whispering didn’t do them many favors. In regards to MS, the people who they expect to know, know.

Bickle2

What do threads on an enthusiast forum and Digital Foundry analyses have to do with official Microsoft marketing?

The fact they’ve been using DF for marketing the last six months? There’s nothing improper about getting a scoop, but they know the audience for DF is the audience for this box.

They’re not doing mainstream marketing until the end of thr month. General public doesn’t have that long a memory, and they have a lot of cross promotions with Samsung and such to flog all of November.

angelic

Banned
I know what Xbox One X is, I've been counting down the weeks and days since I preordered in August.

I also know it's going to have the best console version of Metro: Exodus! (next year).

You dont seriously believe thats the game I hope.

AmyS

You dont seriously believe thats the game I hope.

Nothing in that trailer looked like CG or anything, it looked real-time. Yeah, I expect a few minor differences here and there. In some aspects it could look slightly worse or slightly better, and obviously the console versions will be targeting 30fps, not 60.

Metro 2033 and Last Light looked amazing in their time, and it's been almost 4.5 years since Last Light came out on PC, will be about 5 years once Exodus comes out.

the week before launch and all during the holidays i can guarantee every nfl game will make sure you know who made the most powerfull console ever

Barely... it's a 1 second flash at the very end of the commercial. If it's from this Madden 18 commercial that's aired during the NFL season it doesn't even mention the X. It just flashes those consoles and says "Get the ultimate experience on Xbox One." Not "One S," "One X," etc, just Xbox One.

Beyond that, If anybody outside of the enthusiast gaming community can tell that's an Xbox One X, versus a regular Xbox One, I'd be shocked. In the Madden ad it looks like they at least print the words "Xbox One X" on the screen for that split second, though from your screenshot it doesn't look like they're doing that in every spot either.

It's pretty clear the marketing around the Xbox One X is for enthusiast gamers, YouTube, Ars Technica, tech junkies, and people who are really tuned into gaming news.

It will do fine. Its not out yet and the hardcore will eat it just like the Pro. Word of mouth will handle the rest since its something you have to experience rather than judge based on commercials

c0de

The fact they’ve been using DF for marketing the last six months? There’s nothing improper about getting a scoop, but they know the audience for DF is the audience for this box.

They’re not doing mainstream marketing until the end of thr month. General public doesn’t have that long a memory, and they have a lot of cross promotions with Samsung and such to flog all of November.

Sure. Sony did a similar thing, perhaps not to the same extent. But the visit to Guerilla a few weeks ago shows Sony and Microsoft are well aware of DF being quite influential to a certain audience and from there it spreads out to a broader audience.

Unity2012

It will do fine. Its not out yet and the hardcore will eat it just like the Pro. Word of mouth will handle the rest since its something you have to experience rather than judge based on commercials

Agreed. Once the X is out and people start playing it, the shared experience will be the best advertisement they'll have. I think is selling well now; but I feel it will sell even more once gamers get their hands on it.

Barely... it's a 1 second flash at the very end of the commercial. If it's from this Madden 18 commercial that's aired during the NFL season it doesn't even mention the X. It just flashes those consoles and says "Get the ultimate experience on Xbox One." Not "One S," "One X," etc, just Xbox One.

Beyond that, If anybody outside of the enthusiast gaming community can tell that's an Xbox One X, versus a regular Xbox One, I'd be shocked. In the Madden ad it looks like they at least print the words "Xbox One X" on the screen for that split second, though from your screenshot it doesn't look like they're doing that in every spot either.

It's pretty clear the marketing around the Xbox One X is for enthusiast gamers, YouTube, Ars Technica, tech junkies, and people who are really tuned into gaming news.

But it's there, it counts. If people go to the store for an xbox after the ad and say I want a black one. They will be directed to the X.

For sure, but no one is saying that no one is going to buy the X at launch. 6-12 months from launch, once the enthusiasts have upgraded, is the real question mark. In your case, buying consoles at launch and posting on GAF are both pretty good indicators you're in this enthusiast demographic. Breaking out of that demographic at the $500 price point is what will be challenging.

As for the original Xbox One's launch price, it wasn't that long before MS dropped the Kinect (and subsequently the price), and that broadened the market for it considerably. Since the X won't have a peripheral to unbundle, it will have to rely on manufacturing efficiencies to bring the price down.

True, but next year there will be a price drop or game bundles for sure. After they get all the sales from the early adopters and "enthusiast"

I agree, but remember the OG X1 was $500 that included the now dead Kinect 2.0 that doesn't get support. So there are buyers out there. Hell, I was one of them. I wouldn't say I got taken, but the lack of Kinect support made me trade to a PS4 until the One S came out.

For sure, but no one is saying that no one is going to buy the X at launch. 6-12 months from launch, once the enthusiasts have upgraded, is the real question mark. In your case, buying consoles at launch and posting on GAF are both pretty good indicators you're in this enthusiast demographic. Breaking out of that demographic at the $500 price point is what will be challenging.

As for the original Xbox One's launch price, it wasn't that long before MS dropped the Kinect (and subsequently the price), and that broadened the market for it considerably. Since the X won't have a peripheral to unbundle, it will have to rely on manufacturing efficiencies to bring the price down.

c0de

Also if you have a decent pc and a ps4 you have no reason to buy one.

You but perhaps others do. Like people who want to upgrade, like to play Halo, like to play OG Xbox games or their 360 games that run better than before, just to name a few.

Nutter

Durante not knowing it launches in 3 weeks actually makes sense. He is not a fan of MS and does not visit many of the threads relating to Xbox. Yes they need to market more in general, but I do think they are clearly banking this holiday on the fact that hardcore Xbox owners are the main buyers.

Top Bottom