• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are you guys put off by patriotism in movies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

80Urm9z.gif

Aiii

So not worth it
In movies, depending on the level, it's okay.

In real sports -aside from things like the Olympics and World Cups where supporting your country is just a fun and valid part of the activity- very much so. USA chants are cringeworthy at best, worshiping a country is just weird, and as far as I'm concerned way beyond simple patriotism.

kottila

I've recently mentioned this in the "Movies I've Just Seen" thread but...

London Has Fallen has a sickening amount of Patriotism (American) ((I don't know if we can say we're put off my by patriotism of other countries)) that borders on the psychopathic.

I'm not going to explain the whole film but there are examples throughout, some top examples:

-
Gerard Butler's character spends the latter half of the film bossing around SAS and saying how useless British intelligence is and how if he was in charge of London, this wouldn't have happened.

Did he forget what happened in the previous movie? It wasn't exactly a win for US intelligence,

Enzom21

Yes, but I hate patriotism in general.
I wouldn't hate it if it was: "I love the potential of this country in spite of its many flaws."
Instead it's: "We are the greatest country, we can do no wrong! If you don't like it you can leave."

I can tell you that as a non-American, I roll my eyes every time I see a slo-mo american flag waving in a movie.

Canada's patriotism is locked in a small vial in the basement of a Bank of Montreal somewhere I think. Everyone gets a microdrop on Canada Day and back into the vault it goes.

Kevin O Leary will make us great again.... You'll see.

YOU'LL ALL SEE.

The last refuge of a scoundrel.

Although the absolute worst I've seen for this is Ip Man 2, rather than the usual tub thumping murrica stuff.

My friend, you would not tell with such high zest
To children ardent for some desperate glory,
The old Lie; Dulce et Decorum est
Pro patria mori.

mm04

Of course. I also get offended by people rooting for my local sports teams and anything that promotes the university I attended.

I love patriotic movies, then again I'm a 80's baby who didn't go to college and opted for the whole boot strap thing.

I can see why other countries viewers would cringe, how can someone love their country that much in films? Well the country was basically a character in the film's I think of, we are not just saving the hostages and killing the bad guys in 80's action films, we are saving America baby! Love that shit.

To outside viewers I can see them viewing patriotic movies as satire almost. I'm sure I would misinterpret and fringe st foreign films as well, just due to lack of cultural knowledge.

It depends on the context it is being used, but I am also a Marine who is a bleeding heart liberal. So I am confusing. I love my country despite it's faults, and I will never stop trying to make it a better more tolerant and peaceful country.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Of course. I also get offended by people rooting for my local sports teams and anything that promotes the university I attended.

Problem is, the whole west is watching your american patriotism flicks. Also, nobody is really offended, but it can get quiete annoying to have "USA! USA!" all the time in the movies.

So its not so super easy like your drive-by-post may it suggest ;)

RinsFury

Yeah, I generally find it pretty gross. Flag worship and beating your chest over where you happened to be born just seems so cringeworthy. I expect these types of movies to surge under the rule of King Cheeto.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I can handle a small amount of sincere patriotism, but generally in movies you get jingoism instead.

v1lla21

Nope. I like it. USA #1
usa-american-flag-gif-3.gif

I also don't care if I'm watching an international flick and it happens to be patriotic. I think that shit is cool.

Firebrand

Non-American here: It can be pretty cheesy, but can't say it bothers me unless it's overdone or in an otherwise serious film.

I don't like excessive patriotism in general though, whether it's Sweden, USA or North Korea.

Explosive, thundering, Jesus playing electric guitar on a battleship American patriotism will always be entertaining. The best part is the more over the top and out of control you make it the more Americans love it - so you actually can't make a parody of it.

Patriotism done right can be acceptable, see Independence Day

Patriotism that present only for the sake of patriotism is stupid, see Raimi Spider-Man

That shit makes my eyes roll, and I'm an American.

That was put in Spiderman since it was out pretty soon after 9-11

bigfurb

I find a whole lot of asian cinema is jingoistic as hell. Thought i was watching a kung fu movie about a guy avenging his masters death, suddenly it turns into China vs Japan/USA/England

Monocle

Yeah I hate patriotic bullshit. More often than not it comes off as uncritical, unearned, self-congratulatory puffery. Sentimental pandering to a simple minded audience.

That American flag part at the end of San Andreas was the cheesiest crap I've seen in a while. In that moment I was embarassed to be sitting in the theater. Good lord.

Nope. I like it. USA #1

I also don't care if I'm watching an international flick and it happens to be patriotic. I think that shit is cool.
Why are we #1 again? Surely not for our education or politics, lol.

Oppo

hey, you know what, great example. this film fucking sucks.

totally historically inaccurate, while also providing a shallow bed of tropey southern (!) sentiment alongside a dollop of absurdly jingoistic posturing. it's basically everything that is wrong with over-zealous patriotic fervour. Leni Riefenstahl would probably have adored it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom