• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are you guys put off by patriotism in movies?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it's trying to make a larger point about one's country and ideals i'm open to it.

However, if it's an attempt to dramatize or propagandize events to make America look good without justification I have an issue with it.

While I haven't seen these movies bothersome films just from how they were trailered recently were those such as Deepwater Horizon, Secret Soldiers of Benghazi, and any sort of post 9/11 film which props up America and frames Muslims in a poor light.

They bother on a conceptual level as even if they turn out all right they attempt to propagandize history and people with the intent to mislead the public more often then not. They either ignore the facts or twist them.

Finally on a side note Merchants of Doubt is a fantastic watch on this sort of opinion manipulating.

Well at least you admit talking about movies that you haven't seen.

E92 M3

Those are both terrible arguments. America IS one of the best countries precisely because people are allowed to shit on it without being jailed for it. People who complain about the USA's faults help make it a better place. Having a nation of patriots would mean a nation of blind zealots who seek no change or improvement.

So yeah, fuck patriotism of all kinds. We should care about people, not flags.

You can criticize your country without shitting on it.

Those are both terrible arguments. America IS one of the best countries precisely because people are allowed to shit on it without being jailed for it. People who complain about the USA's faults help make it a better place. Having a nation of patriots would mean a nation of blind zealots who seek no change or improvement.

So yeah, fuck patriotism of all kinds. We should care about people, not flags.

You can do this in essentially every developed nation in the world

EAPidgeon

Well at least you admit talking about movies that you haven't seen.

Yes the trailers are more what I find bothersome frequently. I'm aware Deepwater reviewed well, but the trailers for it originally did seem to be skating towards the patriotic direction. Realistically how many Americans who watch the trailer see the film? I would guess less than 1 in 4 except for the big blockbusters such as Star Wars and the like.

Similar for Benghazi even if you don't see the film the name itself says "Secret" and "Benghazi" then we paint this large dramatized struggle with American soldiers.

The trailers are what I meant to focus on by that comment about not having seen the films. Such is going to be the most common situation for anyone who has heard about it.

Mathieran

Banned
I'm okay with a little bit but a lot of movies definitely go overboard. A lot of big blockbusters seem to do it including Transformers. It's pretty ridiculous.

I'm an American but I've never bought into the hyper patriotism that a lot of folks have. It's a toxic attitude to have.

GeoGonzo

You can do this in essentially every developed nation in the world
I am aware. I'm not saying that the USA is the best, nor that they're great just because of this; I mean that self criticism is a prerequisite to being a great country, and that patriotism is literally the opposite from that.

Yes the trailers are more what I find bothersome frequently. I'm aware Deepwater reviewed well, but the trailers for it originally did seem to be skating towards the patriotic direction. Realistically how many Americans who watch the trailer see the film? I would guess less than 1 in 4 except for the big blockbusters such as Star Wars and the like.

Similar for Benghazi even if you don't see the film the name itself says "Secret" and "Benghazi" then we paint this large dramatized struggle with American soldiers.

The trailers are what I meant to focus on by that comment about not having seen the films. Such is going to be the most common situation for anyone who has heard about it.

But the title 'Secret Soldiers of Benghazi' Was correct, they weren't even supposed to be there. I mean it is what it is, a small team of security personal saved many american lives that day. Should we not tell the story because its Americans rose up and saved lives? I get it, they included some Michael Bay patriotic crap (Like the Libyans shooting at the American Flag), But most of the movie was brutal street to street/soldier to soldier battle.

I can tell you that as a non-American, I roll my eyes every time I see a slo-mo american flag waving in a movie.

Canada's patriotism is locked in a small vial in the basement of a Bank of Montreal somewhere I think. Everyone gets a microdrop on Canada Day and back into the vault it goes.

Heh, pretty much this. American patriotism displayed in Hollywood is super obnoxious and as a Canadian, I don't even get a fraction as zealous about my country.

The worst are cultural products that are borderline straight up propaganda. I just saw an ad for the Boston Marathon bombing. This line in the trailer delivered super seriously: "......it's terrorism". U S A! U S A!

Dali

Yep. I don't watch them and no desire to watch them. That movie about seals... fuck it. That movie about the sniper... fuck it. The movie you're talking about... fuck it. Based on a true story movies that glorify that shit I just can't do. Now navy seals starring Charlie sheen is a national trensure though.

Huh? How was Deepwater Horizon skating towards a patriotic direction? Nothing that happens in the movie has anything do with America being best and whatnot

EAPidgeon

But the title 'Secret Soldiers of Benghazi' Was correct, they weren't even supposed to be there. I mean it is what it is, a small team of security personal saved many american lives that day. Should we not tell the story because its Americans rose up and saved lives? I get it, they included some Michael Bay patriotic crap (Like the Libyans shooting at the American Flag), But most of the movie was brutal street to street/soldier to soldier battle.

This is again a similar case with Deepwater according to my understanding. The film itself may be accurate (although let's agree to ignore arguing about the facts of Benghazi in this thread). Yet consider the time and circumstances when the film released. The trailer certainly had a more political role to play at the time.

Costa Kid

I don't consciously remember any patriotism in movies from any other country except America, and I generally hate it because some of it is pure propaganda. It just feels like you're being treated as a child when all that "patriotism" is featured in movies.

EAPidgeon

Huh? How was Deepwater Horizon skating towards a patriotic direction? Nothing that happens in the movie has anything do with America being best and whatnot

Patriotic was probably the wrong use for this. I mean attempting to focus only on the disaster so as to make it seem random and miraculous. Realistically we know that the event was a long build up of BP neglect. By patriotism I mean using American heroism and bravery and mostly removing BP from the long run equation. Would such work for BP probably not, but BP and oil companies do lobby opinion in any way they can and the trailer originally felt like such may be the reasoning behind making the film. Focusing not on the situation having been preventable, but instead on it just "happening".

Obviously the full film clearly wasn't to BP's liking so it's unlikely they were drawn out or minimized from the narrative.

4Tran

I'm not big on patriotism in general, but it really depends on the film and how it depicts patriotism. Something like Saving Private Ryan is on the sappy side, but it was well put together, and I found it perfectly acceptable. On the other hand, I used to do Bad Movie Night, and Stealth was the very last film there because I found it so disgusting.

PSqueak

Banned
Can_you_put_the_President_s_speech_in_Independence_Day_in_the_right_order_.jpg

This scene is entirely justified because it gave us this dude:

aAE0waE.gif

Even back then i laughed my ass off at this guy doing the most intense, ham-tacular salute ever recorded in camera.

The problem with patriotism is it can easily slide into nationalism and there's already plenty of overlap. Love for your country is great. But the moment it turns to jealousy guarding "your country" from "outsiders, turning a blind eye to faults that don't affect you directly, holding up national symbols over actual rights and ideologies above people's well being...well, I find depictions of patriotism to often be shallow and jingoistic and thus, very irritating.

Zen Aku

It depends on the reason. If someone is patriotic out of love and respect for one another. Their common man. Then I don't see why you should feel ashamed to be patriotic.

That was the message of Patriot Day (along with a lot of other disaster/sport drama movies) that through hard times, people are there for one another, and with love and time. We will overcome and rebuild.

And Make America Great Again.

I'm kidding about that last part.

KDR_11k

It always seems cringey but is nothing compared to the fact that America has a friggin' Pledge of Allegiance. That's some cult-level commitment to a concept.

All those shots full of flags everywhere in America just seem weird, in Germany you only see flags on government buildings, government uniforms and on the occasional nationalist's shack. Unless it's World Cup time of course, then everything is full of flags for a few weeks. Though not actual flagpoles, the only flagpoles around are those of businesses.

Nothing screams patriotism more then racist ass Hulk Hogan
Haha ahh yeah that's not what I'm saying at all. Is Terry Bolia a racist, sure, but Hulk Higan the character was not a racist, when he came down with that flag to the ring, shit man it made you feel good. I guess that's what it is, patriotism makes me feel good and proud and when used in film....it tugs on the heart strings. Then again it's aimed at Americans in the film's I think of.

I don't expect today's American youth to get it, we really are products of our generations.

I believe someone mentioned IP man before, that film had some Chinese patriotism going on when he was fighting back for his people and I don't know, I just thought that was awesome. Different strokes for different folks.

You can criticize your country without shitting on it.

Sometimes you have to shit on those flaws to a make it more apparent to the greater/nationwide community, we have many examples of this in the country's history.

Slavery didn't stop because people sat back and threw formal criticism at it.

Jim Crow laws and Segregation didn't stop because people sat back and threw formal criticism at it.

The Vietnam War didn't stop because people sat back, watched the televised war, and threw formal criticism at it.

Nixon didn't resign because people heard about Watergate, sat back, and threw formal criticism at him.

Clinton didn't get impeached because people heard about his affair, sat back, and threw formal criticism at him.

All these examples, most of which improved and/or changed America had the people outraged and worked to combat against. Shielding America as a "precious country undeserving of the super mean criticism" is doing a huge disservice to the country.

Pyrokai

I can tell you that as a non-American, I roll my eyes every time I see a slo-mo american flag waving in a movie.

Canada's patriotism is locked in a small vial in the basement of a Bank of Montreal somewhere I think. Everyone gets a microdrop on Canada Day and back into the vault it goes.

This is how it should be. In America, it's turning into nationalism and isolationism and it's terrifying me.

Why?

Nationalism leads to jingoism.

There's a big difference between having pride in the country you live in, pride in your country's achievements etc. and jingoism.

EXTREME nationalism leads to jingoism, but nationalism in moderation is fine. I would even argue that it is good for a country.

DOWN

Banned
Yes. I very much dislike all these Mark Wahlberg patriotism movies. Deepwater Horizon, Lone Survivor, Patriots Day. It's made me exhausted with him and the messaging. Same with some Clint Eastwood, like American Sniper.

Yes. I very much dislike all these Mark Wahlberg patriotism movies. Deepwater Horizon, Lone Survivor, Patriots Day. It's made me exhausted with him and the messaging. Same with some Clint Eastwood, like American Sniper.
Did you see Deepwater? What was so patriotic about that movie?

I just watched it a few days ago, and aside from a few shots of the flag, I don't remember anything overt or any plot points at all being about or revolving around America.

E92 M3

Why?

Nationalism leads to jingoism.

I wouldn't say that's an absolute.

Sometimes you have to shit on those flaws to a make it more apparent to the greater/nationwide community, we have many examples of this in the country's history.

Slavery didn't stop because people sat back and threw formal criticism at it.

Jim Crow laws and Segregation didn't stop because people sat back and threw formal criticism at it.

The Vietnam War didn't stop because people sat back, watched the televised war, and threw formal criticism at it.

Nixon didn't resign because people heard about Watergate, sat back, and threw formal criticism at him.

Clinton didn't get impeached because people heard about his affair, sat back, and threw formal criticism at him.

All these examples, most of which improved and/or changed America had the people outraged and worked to combat against. Shielding America as a "precious country undeserving of the super mean criticism" is doing a huge disservice to the country.

No country is perfect. I am talking about day-to-day love for your country.

I believe in always putting your countrymen first.

Did you see Deepwater? What was so patriotic about that movie?

I just watched it a few days ago, and aside from a few shots of the flag, I don't remember anything overt or any plot points at all being about or revolving around America.

I'm wondering if people think if an American overcomes obstacles to save others and people cheer that fact..it means they are patriotic?

Shadic7700

I am aware. I'm not saying that the USA is the best, nor that they're great just because of this; I mean that self criticism is a prerequisite to being a great country, and that patriotism is literally the opposite from that.
Patriotism can be done well it's when it becomes nationalism that a problem arises...

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
As a canadian, i think it's hilarious when watching some movie and then BAM, big plan on an american flag out of nowhere for no reason.

To be honest, i'm not sure what would make americans proud & patriotic now after electing Trump, but... if I was an american, I sure as hell wouldn't be after this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom