• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are you happy with GAF's current pace?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I am.

It doesn't feel like the same people posting 24/7 making it impossible to follow any topic anymore.

I just hope lurkers start posting a bit more and we are good, imo.

Eh, it is what it is. Someone mentioned being here for the gaming and I'm fine with that

RSP

The community threads I frequently visit are pretty much dead. I lurk most of the time, so its pretty bad at the moment.

pwingtothesky

Neo Member
I don't mind the pace right now, but I'm sure others and especially Evilore and the staff want to increase it. And I think there are plenty of ways to do that.

I also think it's possible for NeoGAF to end up being the more respected site by a good number of people and that's all that matters in the end. Less getting quoted 8 times just for having a different view that isn't even really that controversial and I'm for it.

Bluth54

The bright side is that Gaf won't collapse on next E3 when someone drops megatons.

Like it's slower since let me follow better some threads but recognize this hurts the overall forum.

I feel like it's not safe to assume that GAF will still be around for the next E3. It may get to the point where it's just not worth running the site anymore.

-Minsc-

One really can't say how things will turn out. What GAF was, is gone. I came here because it seemed to be that popular site everyone was migrating to (back in 2009). Now that I'm older I'm less interested in following the popular forum trends.

Probably the biggest thing to discuss going forward is whether GAF will remain a "Video Gaming" forum. That anchor may, or may not, be lost. If GAF can carry on as a Gaming forum, without sulking in the corner, then that would great for those who wish it so. Otherwise GAF can be something different. No clue what though.

Monocle

No, it feels dead in here. Kinda depressing. I used to check the OT daily, and gaming side only a few times a week for news or discussion of new releases.

Was always going to be slower but it's nice not to have 10 Trump threads a day.
I'd rather that problem had been solved with a policy change, not an exodus.

Booser

What pace? The OT is dead. Topics that would get hundreds / thousands of replies aren't moving at all.

I don't bother coming here as often as I used to because I know there'll be nothing new to read or discuss.

DKPOWPOW

It's slow, but... Somehow peaceful? Feels like there is less chaos on both sides (OT and Gaming). Also feels like us junior members actually have a chance to shine, whereas before we were usually ignored.

I don't mind it, I checked out the other site. Seems to have the same vibe of old GAF, and yet somehow I like it here better. A lot has changed, but I think it will end up for the better.

-Minsc-

It's slow, but... Somehow peaceful? Feels like there is less chaos on both sides (OT and Gaming). Also feels like us junior members actually have a chance to shine, whereas before we were usually ignored.

I don't mind it, I checked out the other site. Seems to have the same vibe of old GAF, and yet somehow I like it here better. A lot has changed, but I think it will end up for the better.
It will be the overlooked and former quiet people who will shape the place over the coming year. For better or for worse.

If you felt like juniors got ignored (they didn't), why didn't you just... You know... post more? You'd easily be a member if you actually contributed to discussion instead of just lurking.

And also lol at the witch hunt shit coming from a poster who posts one tenth as often as the person he's lambasting. Get a grip... if everyone left here was nearly as active as Monocle, this place wouldn't be such a fucking snore.

Finaika

I don't mind the pace right now, but I'm sure others and especially Evilore and the staff want to increase it. And I think there are plenty of ways to do that.

I also think it's possible for NeoGAF to end up being the more respected site by a good number of people and that's all that matters in the end. Less getting quoted 8 times just for having a different view that isn't even really that controversial and I'm for it.

What ways exactly?

Quonny

The pace of community threads is fucking abysmal. Threads that got dozens of posts a day may get one or two. Threads with hundreds of posts a day get the same three people talking to each other.

Plus, no Blizzcon topic? Seriously?

prag16

Banned
Do you realize how incorrect a statement this is? You have no numbers to claim even 50% of the "toxic element" moved to that website.

I doubt you have numbers either.

Seeing as gaf could be pretty toxic at times, and most of gaf moved over..

Couple that with the fact that it's way more laid back around here with no dogpiling and the like.

Plus check the new site and observe that it's basically a carbon copy of old gaf.

As I said, they seem to be laying a bit lower so far. But the people that made OT here awful are all over there now.

Biff

OT is practically dead now. Not sure what you guys are seeing.

It used to be a place to hear about news faster than literally CNN or any mainstream media outlet. Like... we learned about the Las Vegas shooting through someone posting local tweets about the shooting way before any major site had it. That stuff is priceless and now will never happen again. There simply isn't enough people who call this home to get that kind of real-time reach anymore.

"Boo hoo, so you'll have to wait 10 minutes to learn about something on CNN."

That's not the point. The point is this was a news aggregator for not only serious world events, but also tech, space, pop culture, movie trailers, memes, etc... It was a beautiful mix of things I find interesting delivered in REAL TIME as it happened.

And now it's gone.

I 100% agree NeoGAF became extremely toxic since Trump won. Any political or social thread became a mess of one-liner drive-bys all spewing the same far-left rhetoric. "No sympathy", "When is he getting impeached?", "Fuck you orange turd"... We get it, he's a bad President. But when 75% of the content is worthless echo chamber one-liners, it's a pain to sort through it for actual thoughtful content.

All this site needed was strict moderation on low-content REPLIES to a thread. It doesn't need moderation on the actual thread topics. This place would have been absolutely perfect with that.

Instead, we have where it is today. And it's never going back. And worst of all, "other site" has the worst of OldGAF, namely the drive-by one liner echo chamber responses, without the best of OldGAF, namely the real-time widespanning content reach.

It's like the community was at some critical mass before where news aggregation was extremely effective, and now that it's split neither community has that capability anymore.

Astral Dog

I doubt you have numbers either.

Seeing as gaf could be pretty toxic at times, and most of gaf moved over..

Couple that with the fact that it's way more laid back around here with no dogpiling and the like.

Plus check the new site and observe that it's basically a carbon copy of old gaf.

As I said, they seem to be laying a bit lower so far. But the people that made OT here awful are all over there now.
Also the ones that made it awesome 😢

lol guys talking OT only but Gamming side is not really much better, very slow

entremet

Also the ones that made it awesome 😢

lol guys talking OT only but Gamming side is not really much better, very slow

A lot of the better posters were in Communities and those are gone. Community forum became the bunker for those tired of the OT tenor.

Why so defensive? Something to hide?

Why can't anyone answer my question?
Just think! You've quadrupled your average posting behavior today. I'm real proud of you. If you keep up posts of this quantity and quality and everyone else endeavored to match you, you'd quickly have the supposedly toxic, dogpiling cesspool you've headcannoned old GAF to be. Keep it up!

alt27

The fact that the only threads that get over 5-6 pages are ones arguing about the state of GAF says it all really.

Gaming is dead, OT is worse. The people who posted good content are gone, the lurkers are just that, they wont replace them.

DeSo

Banned
Just think! You've quadrupled your average posting behavior today. I'm real proud of you. If you keep up posts of this quantity and quality and everyone else endeavored to match you, you'd quickly have the supposedly toxic, dogpiling cesspool you've headcannoned old GAF to be. Keep it up!
Why are you mad? Why can't anyone answer my question?

-Minsc-

yeah pretty much. its sad to see a lot of the threads I lurked now are dead as fuck. shame really

Perhaps we can post in them instead of lurking. Whether I am willing, have the energy and time to do so is another matter. It's a nice reminder that the threads are there and waiting to be posted in. Basically the short is, people can either talk about how the forum is dead or go post in the threads.

It's never been better. There was rarely anything of substance to read on oldGAF. You'd have to skip the first 5 - 6 pages of an interesting topic to get to any sort of meaningful discussion. It would usually be an endless wave of reactionary shit-posting and quoting the first dumb post so that enough people knew that you got the reference.

Mau5

Perhaps we can post in them instead of lurking. Whether I am willing, have the energy and time to do so is another matter. It's a nice reminder that the threads are there and waiting to be posted in. Basically the short is, people can either talk about how the forum is dead or go post in the threads.

a lot of the communities are just gone man, but yeah I feel you.

Froli

Neogaf threads is like a Chatroom back then in terms huge amount of replies and pages it produces.

Sure it sounds "peaceful" now, but it's close to being dead.

Erv

This place is so dead lolllll aND a mod deleted my post just because I stated my opinion lollll

It's never been better. There was rarely anything of substance to read on oldGAF. You'd have to skip the first 5 - 6 pages of an interesting topic to get to any sort of meaningful discussion. It would usually be an endless wave of reactionary shit-posting and quoting the first dumb post so that enough people knew that you got the reference.

They don't have their precious mods to protect their voices anymore, or enough of their friends to join in on a good ole fashion dog pile.
Lmao I'm super glad the community can instead be represented by lurkers like you, coming out twice a month to post completely tone deaf horseshit. See you in December.

I feel like there's a lot less shitposting and the shitposting that remains is usually funny or light and not aggravating and frankly mean spirited as it was. I feel an almost tighter camaraderie and that was never GAF's strong suit unless you were 100% part of the predominant bandwagon.

What was your question again?
His question was something idiotic like "why haven't you moved on to resetera," as if that's a question that deserves either an answer or acknowledgement. He then continued his inquisition with "u mad?" and other inane statements as if his post had any value for discussion.

sans_pants

avec_pénis

Being respected is what matters in Internet forums

I've seen it all now

pwingtothesky

Neo Member
Being respected is what matters in Internet forums

I've seen it all now

Yes for making more people join and be active in the future. For example, a lot of people holding the view that "NeoGAF is dead" wouldn't help it much. Maybe what I'm saying is too simple that you aren't understanding it.

Plus, no Blizzcon topic? Seriously?

I'm a junior so I can't, but feel free to make any topic that you think we should have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom