• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARK: Survival Evolved Trailer (UE4, Dinosaur Island Survival, Beta Signup, MORPHEUS!)

ikjpjr.gif

the logging out animation is so funky haha

squadr0n

Some parts of this game look downright amazing, it also pulls off some things really well. But ALOT of the game looks extremely amateurish, and that's saying something even in Early Access. How many more games do we need that use the minecraft style pretty much exactly the same way. Punching trees. Building tools. Gathering Resources. Build. Repeat.
Like I said before, some of it looks great, and some of it looks like crap. Not going to pay the price until they add a mix to the formula that isnt just dinos and riding them.

We need to get a gaf server or two going. It's kinda hard to get into the game on random servers need to find that "home" server.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Had a blast playing this evening. Thought we were badass, had some dilo pets leveled up to help fight. Saw some larger dinos fighting in the water, ran up to take a look, bad idea. Not 1 carnasaur, not 2, but 3 of them surged out of the water and ran us down.

Watch out for players with deformed bodies, I'm noticing a correlation between people who make avatars like that and people who KOS.

And yeah, ran like crap on a 660+x4965. Put most things on medium, a couple on high. Was still fun.

slash3584

I think there's a problem with the current "Play Local" mode.

I started a new game to tinker with the graphic settings and ended up playing with the Medium preset with an average of 30fps but I quit the game and started it again and no matter what settings I set the graphics to the game runs like crap, easily less than 15 fps.

Tried to join a server and it ran fine on medium, so maybe it's a world generation issue or something?

kcxiv

hmm.. not feelign this. game runs like ass and i have a 970. It needs big time optimization. when you move the screen looks weird. Im not a grahpics person and all, but everything gets like super blurry.

fanboi

Banned
hmm.. not feelign this. game runs like ass and i have a 970. It needs big time optimization. when you move the screen looks weird. Im not a grahpics person and all, but everything gets like super blurry.

They just dropped a new update which improve the FPS.

CoLaN

I like the concept of early access, but i think there should be some kind of standards that the game should meet (quality wise) before going up on steam, especially when people have to drop money.

I understand that the game is "fun to play with friends", but EVERYTHING is fun to play with friends.

I will wait a month and see how the game improves and if it will have legs, or join the pile of quickly forgotten survival early access games.

fanboi

Banned
I like the concept of early access, but i think there should be some kind of standards that the game should meet (quality wise) before going up on steam, especially when people have to drop money.

I understand that the game is "fun to play with friends", but EVERYTHING is fun to play with friends.

I will wait a month and see how the game improves and if it will have legs, or join the pile of quickly forgotten survival early access games.

I would say, what I have seen from streams, that this is a great example for a EA game. The fundamentals are in, but not the cream on top (and unoptomized).

JambiBum

I would say, what I have seen from streams, that this is a great example for a EA game. The fundamentals are in, but not the cream on top (and unoptomized).

There is so much more in this game already than there has ever been in any other Survival genre EA game. As long as they keep working on the optimization I can see this being really good. I already saw an improvement in my performance during the night through the different patches they put out. They also said that as long as it is during the work week they will continue to push patches that help with optimization almost every day. Once you get over the initial hump of learning everything there's a pretty good sense of progress here already. More so than any other survival game that's for sure.

fanboi

Banned
There is so much more in this game already than there has ever been in any other Survival genre EA game. As long as they keep working on the optimization I can see this being really good. I already saw an improvement in my performance during the night through the different patches they put out. They also said that as long as it is during the work week they will continue to push patches that help with optimization almost every day. Once you get over the initial hump of learning everything there's a pretty good sense of progress here already. More so than any other survival game that's for sure.

Yes, I was comparing this to Rust where this game seem to apply certain mechanics that intrest me much more then in Rust, ex:

* PVE
* RPG elements (level up)
* Mother fucking dinosaurs
* Mounts (which also have level ups)

Javin98

Banned
Now I know an early version of the game just released and everyone is talking about how it runs and how fun it is, but I'm gonna ask a different question. Has anyone come across a Spinosaurus in the game yet?

Xyber

Since the updates with these settings I am getting 44~60 fps now.

2600k @ 4.6ghz
Geforce 780 3gb

I want to see some benchmarks to prove that, sounds like bullshit to me. :p

I got a overclocked 970, i7 4770K@ 4.3GHz

I have EVERYTHING on low or turned off at 1080p, that gives me 45-60 in daytime.

I have EVERYTHING on low or turned off at 1080p, that gives me 45-60 in daytime.

My i7 2600k and gtX 580 are getting around the same as you. It's just a lack of optimisation it seems.

Some cool things going on with this game. I like how pitch black the night gets and you need to tag team I person with Fitch 4 and the other with tools. I like moments where most your tribe is out hunting and then a stego decides to rampage your base and you need to quickly call everyone back to kill it. I like how you don't see yourself on the map so you have to use the land formations and find them on the map. I like coordinating with other tribesmen to make sure everyone is learning something different to craft.

So I was surprised that on Steam they say you can play local single player

Is this viable to enjoy the game? I know that means pure gameplay and probably no cutscenes , missions etc but then again the price is low.

I only like single player, I can do PVE but like it less and never play PVP.

Armaly

So how do I find my friends? We're all on the same server but have been wandering around for hours trying to find each other. Any tips? We've found that the only way to see our coordinates is to either die or place a sleeping bag.

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat

Is this viable to enjoy the game? I know that means pure gameplay and probably no cutscenes , missions etc but then again the price is low.

I would not buy it for single player personally. You'd be better off with some like The Forest for SP.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
So how do I find my friends? We're all on the same server but have been wandering around for hours trying to find each other. Any tips? We've found that the only way to see our coordinates is to either die or place a sleeping bag.
Spawn on the same coast and meet up at a obelisk.

I think not seeing your coordinates might be intentional. Start learning the land masses and identifying them on the map.

It would take awhile because you learn new craft recipes by leveling up and spending essentially skill points. It's sort of based on the idea that you split up the crafting with your tribe.

Mirk

You are correct :p I did a test after the 1.6 update with shadowplay. I just played a bit more and with steam overlay I was getting 31~39 :/

Armaly

Spawn on the same coast and meet up at a obelisk.

I think not seeing your coordinates might be intentional. Start learning the land masses and identifying them on the map.

It would take awhile because you learn new craft recipes by leveling up and spending essentially skill points. It's sort of based on the idea that you split up the crafting with your tribe.

Yeah, can you guys see the colors of the waves of lights/structures from far away? Everything has no color until I get super close to it.

Yeah, can you guys see the colors of the waves of lights/structures from far away? Everything has no color until I get super close to it.
Yeah that's how we met up at first, "Green light beam"

But eventually we got to the point where everyone in tribe could look at the terrain and accurately estimate their coordinates

Is there a GAF server going at all? I still don't get what I'm doing but I'm cooperative and getting to grips with it. Never really sunk any time into a survival game before either but the dinosaurs sealed the deal.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Make sure you note what server you start a character on, there is no indicator in the server list whether or not you have a character on a particular server and with most of the official servers full you might have trouble finding the right server.

vypek

Wish I was able to try it out. Although from the stream I saw yesterday, it seems like a game I would do poorly in. The tribe mercilessly killed pretty much anyone they came across.

Can you play it with a tribe and PVE if you want, or is it forced PVP and you cant relax and explore

Skyzard

Banned
So are the graphics in OP bullshit?

What hardware does that take? Any way possible to get that? The screenshots posted have been... ... ... bad.

Can you play it with a tribe and PVE if you want, or is it forced PVP and you cant relax and explore
They have PVE Servers, but keep in mind exploring isn't as easy as say Minecraft. Your hunger and thirst drain quickly, food spoils fast, there's large chunks of land with no water, external factors like heat, cold, rain effecting your character, very long day night cycles so when night does hit you'll be in near pitch black for a long time unless you have a torch ready and even then you can't stitch to another item and keep the light. Still fun to explore but presents more of a challenge than typical.

The company I ordered from are having so many orders it's taking them a while to spin up the servers as they get ordered. They were saying they were getting 100 orders an hour. I'll start with a password to see if we can fill it with just GAF members/friends of members but if it doesn't fill up i'll open it up.

Ok I've found a really good balance of graphic settings for the lower powered PC's I think. I'm using a GTX 580 and 2600k to get a relatively stable 30 at high settings. You can go lower for more FPS if you want of course.

Ok so that resolution slider? Drag that way down to zero. Take all your settings and stick them on high. Slide the sky and ground scatter sliders to about half way and uncheck every box below it. This seems nice and stable joining a server but playing solo it runs slower for some reason.

If this doesn't work try dropping everything to minimum and rebooting the game before applying the settings above. If my ass old card can do it I'm sure the many 970's I'm hearing about struggling can too.

Everything in the distance will be blurry as shit but at least stuff up close looks alright.

Top Bottom