• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARK: Survival Evolved Trailer (UE4, Dinosaur Island Survival, Beta Signup, MORPHEUS!)

Sarcasm

You said you weren't buying?

Also it will take some time for players to host their own servers.
The devs are putting up more official servers to accommodate the influx.

I am waiting in hopes that a 4 pack goes up. I am not buying if I can't get my friends in. They (and I) don't want to pay more than 20 for a game like this =S.

In the FAQ:
"Technology - How far do you guys plan to go?

There will be a sci-fi tech tier with some pretty crazy stuff, and that aspect of the game becomes ever more prevalent towards the end-game, but we'll leave revealing more about that 'till a little down the road :)

Consider me intrigued!

antonz

In the FAQ:

Consider me intrigued!

makes sense. it seems like we are basically abducted Humans who are being tested. Tech tree goes upto things like mini gun turrets and rocket launchers. likely eventually start experiencing the jerks who stole us away from Earth

Woo-Fu

Banned
I decided to go do some work while it was downloading, come back expecting it to be done but the download stopped for some reason about 5m after I left.

belmonkey

With the game looking as it does, I don't really see a non-extremely-butchered version being released on Morpheus, either in terms of graphics or performance. Unless it happens to run really well.

DrBo42

2D244097645FE85C85C9E89A5C5C05E9FD313895

That's what awaits you with a 650m, and even that ^ is 15 fps. Hopefully the Steam refund comes through. Haha.

Apparently single player servers will be up tonight. If they're not up before I got to bed I'm going to just get a refund until what they advertised as being there day 1 is actually there.

I bet steam going back on 4 packs has to do with the refund system they put in place.

It's possible. Essentially, someone could get a discounted four pack, return three of them, and then have purchased the game at a cheaper price than the single purchase one. Or something like that.

They could also just not let people do that.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
It's possible. Essentially, someone could get a discounted four pack, return three of them, and then have purchased the game at a cheaper price than the single purchase one. Or something like that.

They could also just not let people do that.

I was thinking the same thing about returning gift copies.

At this point it isn't the devs fault for not having 4 packs. Steam is the ones blocking them and not allowing them to say the reason.

JambiBum

I get a solid 50 fps with settings on high with a few things turned down to medium on a 970. The biggest killers of performance are the sky density and ground clutter settings. Turn those down and you can get a pretty significant boost.

As far as impressions go, I'm liking it a lot more than most survival games already. Just having the dinosaurs in the game and working correctly is a pretty good start but they are already far ahead of most EA games when they first launch. The leveling system is good, the crafting system makes sense and is easy to understand, plus VOIP is basically flawless which most games can't get right for a while. It also controls pretty well with a gamepad too. They have radial menus you can use to select stuff that you would normally need a M+KB for and once you figure out how it works with a controller you don't really need M+KB for anything except for scrolling through things in the inventory. Gamepad doesn't work very well for that bit.

The fact that you can join a tribe fairly easily and then gain xp for what your tribe members do is also a good touch. The only real issues I have with it so far are that sometimes the servers are laggy (to be expected) and that when you are swimming and you can run out of stamina you are basically dead if you aren't close to shore since you can't swim upwards if you are out. It makes sense in a way, but it still sucks to drown to death because of it.

Ghizz

Still can't find a server to join...might have to result to single player till all these issues are fixed....Any GAF members hosting their own server?

I get a solid 50 fps with settings on high with a few things turned down to medium on a 970. The biggest killers of performance are the sky density and ground clutter settings. Turn those down and you can get a pretty significant boost.

As far as impressions go, I'm liking it a lot more than most survival games already. Just having the dinosaurs in the game and working correctly is a pretty good start but they are already far ahead of most EA games when they first launch. The leveling system is good, the crafting system makes sense and is easy to understand, plus VOIP is basically flawless which most games can't get right for a while. It also controls pretty well with a gamepad too. They have radial menus you can use to select stuff that you would normally need a M+KB for and once you figure out how it works with a controller you don't really need M+KB for anything except for scrolling through things in the inventory. Gamepad doesn't work very well for that bit.

The fact that you can join a tribe fairly easily and then gain xp for what your tribe members do is also a good touch. The only real issues I have with it so far are that sometimes the servers are laggy (to be expected) and that when you are swimming and you can run out of stamina you are basically dead if you aren't close to shore since you can't swim upwards if you are out. It makes sense in a way, but it still sucks to drown to death because of it.

Do you mind posting your exact video settings? I have a 970 with an i5 4690k and all my stuff has to be at medium to get 30-34fps.

Apparently the game uses a lot of CPU, so you may have a better one than me.

cackhyena

Do you mind posting your exact video settings? I have a 970 with an i5 4690k and all my stuff has to be at medium to get 30-34fps.

Apparently the game uses a lot of CPU, so you may have a better one than me.
Oh, I guess this answers it for me. Sounds like it's not worth it with my 3570k and 670.

Just look at it. It's beautiful !

I just don't get it why other big publishers (EA, Ubisoft, Activision..) are not pursuing this ?

Imagine Far Cry 5 with dinosaurs : O

No no no no no no no no. We already have the game right in front of you, why the heck do you want to diverge into Ubi-design territory?

DarKshodaN

Runs like Garbage on my PC (i5-3470,GTX 970,16gb ram)
On High Settings i get a average of 22 FPS,even on low Settinge i get only 30fps

Hope we see some performance Patches this Week.

I quit the game and now Steam says "update queued" next to the game. Retstarting Steam hasn't fixed it.

Edit: never mind, it updated again. Dunno what it was though.

Edit 2: damn, they say there's gonna be an update everyday. That's a lot to promise.

Edit 3: EVERYBODY RESTART STEAM FOR THE UPDATE. I went from 30fps to 55fps. Damn.

Trace

Banned
So yea I have a GTX 670, this is about the lowest of what I'd consider a game playable framerate wise. So if you have anything under that, don't bother at the moment.

vehn

So yea I have a GTX 670, this is about the lowest of what I'd consider a game playable framerate wise. So if you have anything under that, don't bother at the moment.

Yeah I have a 560 and on lowest settings and 720p, I get 8fps when looking at the jungle. Refunded :(

anyone have like a small area around you(10 ft) that looks decent but further out it's like low resolution? It happens even if crank everything up to max.

i5 4690k
gtx 970 ftw

zedge

Can anyone else actually play this for more than a min or so? I have tried 4 times now, had to create my character again each time too..only to be disconnected each time..

Subxero

Has anyone figured out if lan play is possible.

The game seems like fun but my siblings are already getting tired of being killed before they can even move after spawning. They really want to be able to play but have a really low tolerance for griefing.

Aggressive wildlife at spawn is definitely something to be weary about. Single player is really slow because it seems like the game progression is built around tribes and specializations (one guy learn how to craft armor, another guy crafts weapons, and another guy crafts structures)

There is certainly a lot of optimization to be done. Even Star Citizen gives better performance to visuals than this and that loves to eat PC's for breakfast.

The Llama

Played for about an hour, seems pretty fun so far. Runs at 35-40fps on my 290x at 1080p/medium, which is whatever. Annoying but not enough to really distract me. I'm not really huge on survival games, but there's enough content already in the game that I felt a little bit overwhelmed at first! But after a bit it wasn't too difficult to figure out. Excited to really dive in more over the weekend.

There is certainly a lot of optimization to be done. Even Star Citizen gives better performance to visuals than this and that loves to eat PC's for breakfast.

well I mean as far as I know star citizen started development in 2011 and became playable in 2013 so....a bit of a unfair comparison unless ARK had the same amount of dev time which i doubt because of the current state of it.

JambiBum

I was thinking about setting up a GAF server but the company they partnered with to host them is currently sold out of ARK servers. I'll keep an eye on it and let you guys know if I decide to get one. Also, it seems like none of the official servers are up right now? Or at least they won't come up for me.

well I mean as far as I know star citizen started development in 2011 and became playable in 2013 so....a bit of a unfair comparison unless ARK had the same amount of dev time which i doubt because of the current state of it.

Fair point. I guess what I was really trying to say was that it currently scales extremely poorly on the lower graphics settings, getting very little performance out of reasonable systems with very poor visuals. I expect it to get better over time of course though, I read or heard something where the devs stated that almost no optimization has been done so far.

Fair point. I guess what I was really trying to say was that it currently scales extremely poorly on the lower graphics settings, getting very little performance out of reasonable systems with very poor visuals. I expect it to get better over time of course though, I read or heard something where the devs stated that almost no optimization has been done so far.

oh I agree it's pretty bad and I am 99% sure they did say that there was almost no optimization done in one of their status updates on steam but I can't seem to find it.

Restart Steam for a fairly large update (filesize), rebuilt the game with 2K textures instead of 4K for now. Should help with performance.

edit: Made it worse lmao

JambiBum

Any easy way to locate your friends? Also, how do I tame stuff? A rando I met told me to drag some meat to a turtle's inventory or something but I couldn't figure it out.

To tame something you need to know what kind of food it eats, so herbivore or carnivore. Then you knock it out and open up it's inventory and drag the type of food to it. The less food you use the higher the effectiveness of it will be which means it will have better stats when it wakes up. In order to keep it asleep long enough you need to balance it by force feeding it with narco berries. The less food you use the longer it takes though so be aware of that.

Armaly

To tame something you need to know what kind of food it eats, so herbivore or carnivore. Then you knock it out and open up it's inventory and drag the type of food to it. The less food you use the higher the effectiveness of it will be which means it will have better stats when it wakes up. In order to keep it asleep long enough you need to balance it by force feeding it with narco berries. The less food you use the longer it takes though so be aware of that.

How do I access the animal's inventory? Those sleeping berries will work to knock it out, right?

JambiBum

How do I access the animal's inventory? Those sleeping berries will work to knock it out, right?

Look at it and hold E. You should get a pop up showing it. And yeah, you need to use the sleeping berries (they're called narco berries)

Xyber

I certainly hope performance is the main focus at the moment, this shit is close to unplayable. I am running everything at low (except for textures), lowered resolution scaling a little bit and running in a window at 1600x900 or something. Still can't maintain 60fps on a 970 and i7 4770k.

But I still like what I have played. Managed to build a little house with my friends before we logged off for tonight.

JambiBum

I certainly hope performance is the main focus at the moment, this shit is close to unplayable. I am running everything at low (except for textures), lowered resolution scaling a little bit and running in a window at 1600x900 or something. Still can't maintain 60fps on a 970 and i7 4770k.

But I still like what I have played. Managed to build a little house with my friends before we logged off for tonight.

They're actively working on the performance stuff. They rebuilt the game to use 2k textures instead of 4k today to help, and they made this post about it just recently.

We understand that there are a lot of optimisation issues with the game currently. We have always been transparent about this, the game is very demanding but over the course of the next few days and the upcoming weeks we will be dedicating a lot of time to performance and optimization. You will see rapid improvement. For now some of the heavy perf killers are resolution scaling, shadows, as well as the check boxes for Distance Field Ambient Occlusion, Screen Space Ambient Occlusion, Dynamic Tessellation, Ground Clutter, and Sky Clutter sliders.

I would recommend that you guys turn your shadows down, disable both types of occlusion, tessellation and reduce your sliders. If you’re still having some perf issues, try reducing your resolution scaling down a bit and you’ll find yourself much more comfortable playing the game!

Don’t worry though, we’ll go along to improve this heavily in the upcoming weeks!

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
With adjusted settings I got it running pretty smooth on my 970.

The game is pretty fun. I leveled up enough to make some clothes, a hut, and some rudimentary items. Never ran into a hostile. The people I did run into I whistled and dropped some cooked meat. They usually thanked me and I was on my way.

I'm excited to see how this improves over the next while.

Top Bottom