• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARK: Survival Evolved Trailer (UE4, Dinosaur Island Survival, Beta Signup, MORPHEUS!)

legacyzero

Banned
It's nice to see an Early Access game that doesn't look like absolutely liquid shit.

Cant wait to see what 1.0 is like.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
It's nice to see an Early Access game that doesn't look like absolutely liquid shit.

Cant wait to see what 1.0 is like.

When I saw the trailer I assumed they were showing what would be possible on full release. When I heard the developer say that is current alpha gameplay I got legit hyped.

vehn

This comes out the day I go to my parents house for several days... Glad I bought them a $800 PC last christmas

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Now that's quite the announcement (^_^)

Btw, do we know already on which engine the game is developed? If it's CryEngine 3 then it sucks cuz it is one of the worst unoptimized engines ever.

Update:

Oh, so it's an UE4 game. Great! Absolutely fantastic!

g8k40gP.gif

Bahlor

I think there is going to be a slight problem. With Studio Wildcard's target of 30 fps..that might put discomfort for VR users.

But for morpheus a minimum of 60fps is required and will be "digitally enhanced" up to 120fps. As they support morpheus, I assume it will feature 60fps on console, we will have to see how much of the graphic quality this will cost. (60 fps shouldn't be a problem for pc users using vr anyway... imho)

This looks really awesome. What I really like is it seems to have a much bigger Co-op/PVE aspect compared to other survival games. That's always been the biggest issue for me in these survival games, too much PVP not enough PVE. Also really like the sci-fi aspect. Hoping this turns out as good as it looks.

Wonder if you can choose to ride dinos in first person for maximum immersion...

edit: just heard on the interview first person dino riding is in!

Haasie

Neo Member
This seems to be amazing, I love survival games and dinosaurs make it even better.

Immediately signed up for Alpa/Beta.

Gurish

It looks incredible, how the hell will it support Morpheus? PS4 can't run this fidelity at 30 fps without VR so I don't want to imagine how this will look with VR on PS4.

Javin98

Banned
It looks incredible, how the hell will it support Morpheus? PS4 can't run this fidelity at 30 fps without VR so I don't want to imagine how this will look with VR on PS4.
I think you're jumping to conclusions too early here. The game is still a year away from release and the visual fidelity shown should be within the PS4's capabilities. Maybe a few settings will be lowered but it's not too far off.

I'm skeptical about this game in so many ways. I don't know why, but my negative nancy hat was in full blast the whole trailer almost to comical proportions.

When I first saw the graphics, I immediately thought it's not going to look like that by release. I almost feel like they showed all of that pop in on purpose to make it seem more believable that they're not pulling a smoke and mirrors trick here and will actually achieve those visuals when the time comes.

The environments as we see them now do definitely look beautiful though. I want another good dinosaur game. I hope the combat is good because a few things about the trailer looked janky to me, like the dinosaurs walking on thin air or that one stegosaurus like dino almost sliding on the ground. I know it's probably early but it doesn't really give me hope that other aspects of the game wont be janky.

The parts where they are riding the animals and showing off the environments REALLY make me wish the game ends up being good. I watched the trailer a few extra times just for eye candy factor.

I'm glad the game is multiplayer focused. That confirms to me that it will at least be a good time, and i'm very intruded by the base building element that seems to be in there.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
I'm skeptical about this game in so many ways. I don't know why, but my negative nancy hat was in full blast the whole trailer almost to comical proportions.

When I first saw the graphics, I immediately thought it's not going to look like that by release. I almost feel like they showed all of that pop in on purpose to make it seem more believable that they're not pulling a smoke and mirrors trick here and will actually achieve those visuals when the time comes.

The environments as we see them now do definitely look beautiful though. I want another good dinosaur game. I hope the combat is good because a few things about the trailer looked janky to me, like the dinosaurs walking on thin air or that one stegosaurus like dino almost sliding on the ground. I know it's probably early but it doesn't really give me hope that other aspects of the game wont be janky.

The parts where they are riding the animals and showing off the environments REALLY make me wish the game ends up being good. I watched the trailer a few extra times just for eye candy factor.

I'm glad the game is multiplayer focused. That confirms to me that it will at least be a good time, and i'm very intruded by the base building element that seems to be in there.

There will definitely be some jankyness. This is a common issue in this genre. The graphics appear to be legit though. I anticipate many tears from midrange PCs.

One thing that intrigues me related to base building is your character is persistent as well. When you log off your character lays down and goes to sleep. People can drag your body out into an ocean while you're logged off according to the Dev interview. This makes having a solid made all the more valuable!

There will definitely be some jankyness. This is a common issue in this genre. The graphics appear to be legit though. I anticipate many tears from midrange PCs.

One thing that intrigues me related to base building is your character is persistent as well. When you log off your character lays down and goes to sleep. People can drag your body out into an ocean while you're logged off according to the Dev interview. This makes having a solid made all the more valuable!
I hope they have rentable servers with custom rules. I wouldn't want to wake up dead in every game.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
I hope they have rentable servers with custom rules. I wouldn't want to wake up dead in every game.

There is single player. The devs stated there will be official and user ran servers. They are also open and excited about the modding community.

I think the sleep when log off thing was implemented to prevent people from combat logging. (Logging out when they know they are going to get killed)

FinKL

I'm skeptical as well considering there's not a lot of information on the developers. Immediately from all the pop in I KNEW it was UE so I don't feel like they are trying to downplay it. It only really affects you if you purposely look for it.

I've been looking all over for just gameplay video footage or something else to get a better feel, but haven't found anything. Just kind of unusual to have this announcement so close to EA and have a nice looking, working, and 100's of hours (according to dev) game with 5 months of development.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
I'm skeptical as well considering there's not a lot of information on the developers. Immediately from all the pop in I KNEW it was UE so I don't feel like they are trying to downplay it. It only really affects you if you purposely look for it.

I've been looking all over for just gameplay video footage or something else to get a better feel, but haven't found anything. Just kind of unusual to have this announcement so close to EA and have a nice looking, working, and 100's of hours (according to dev) game with 5 months of development.

Somebody in this thread said there was some leaked alpha footage on YouTube. But it was taken down as it violated NDA.

Top Bottom