• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arkham Asylum Mafia |OT| It's time to kill the Bat

Faddy

Banned
I'm confused what I'm reading here. Not much of it really had to do with the game. I mean, even my section is just something you wanted to point out about my overall character but with no meaning behind it. Faddy's was probably the only semi serious section.

Do Sorian points exist? How many do I have?

But what if you had guessed wrong and you had more thoughts?
I would have gone back and added them in?

I'm confused what I'm reading here. Not much of it really had to do with the game. I mean, even my section is just something you wanted to point out about my overall character but with no meaning behind it. Faddy's was probably the only semi serious section.
It is loose thoughts on D1? I am not sure how that is confusing.

Nudull

Banned
Sorian being chatty isn't particularly alignment indicative. I've never played with scum Sorian but he's been equally chatty in all my games with him bar Gafia 3 maybe. Nothing else you felt like talking about I take it?

:|

I am town reading him, yes, but I failed to realize not everyone else is.

To be honest, I'm half and half with Sorian at the moment. Considering his level of experience, he seems to be a bit of a wild card. Then again, we're in early game, so anything can happen. In a Role Madness game, moreso.

Natiko

Banned
Star will have to be scum at some point I'm sure but this feels like such a wasted vote and borders on lazy depending on how well you know Star (I know you at least played with her in DR3). Lack of activity is literally her MO.
It's not about just inactivity, it's about coming in and not even attempting to engage in anything. Anytime I notice it happening I'm going to at least call it out. You're right that she's often fairly inactive but that doesn't mean she can't try to contribute when she does.

Verelios

It's not about just inactivity, it's about coming in and not even attempting to engage in anything. Anytime I notice it happening I'm going to at least call it out. You're right that she's often fairly inactive but that doesn't mean she can't try to contribute when she does.
I find that I'm often scum reading SK over the course of a game, so now I just place a reminder for myself to go back and look at problematic posts later while I direct my energy elsewhere in the meantime.

Timeaisis

You have negative 2 Time points, for whatever that's worth.

Sorian is playing like Sorian. Nothing to lead me to believe he's town or scum. Kalor's "defense" of acorn seems more like an observation than a defense, at least to me. I'm not reading a lot into it.

And furthermore...

You didn't explain why you unvoted Acohrs, so I'm going to shoot out some hypotheses and you can hit them down or let them up. Were you not entirely sure about your read direction, kind of unsure as time went by, or as Kalor mentioned, was it a reaction towards getting heat (vote/attention) on you?

Usually, when someone unvotes as a reaction to town pressure or a vote on them, I'm more likely to believe their initial vote was just fluffed up activity to seem town and not a vote with much thought behind it. Here, I'm okay with giving the benefit of doubt since they're new, but for others, not so much.

Town fluffs activity, too, ya'll know. All the damn time.

Lifeline

You didn't explain why you unvoted Acohrs, so I'm going to shoot out some hypotheses and you can hit them down or let them up. Were you not entirely sure about your read direction, kind of unsure as time went by, or as Kalor mentioned, was it a reaction towards getting heat (vote/attention) on you?

I started second guessing myself. I'm gonna wait a bit before I vote again.

batsnacks

who are these ppl

01. [m] SexyFish - New - EST
02. [m] That Dude John - New - CET
06. [m] MickD - CST
07. [m] Royal_Flush - CET
08. [m] Mazre - EDT
10. [m] Terrabyte20xx - CST
11. [m] TheWorthyEdge - CST

batsnacks

I think terabyte voted someone and royal flush posted something and John posted sort of something

Otherwise I don't really remember those people

SexyFish

Banned
who are these ppl

01. [m] SexyFish - New - EST
02. [m] That Dude John - New - CET
06. [m] MickD - CST
07. [m] Royal_Flush - CET
08. [m] Mazre - EDT
10. [m] Terrabyte20xx - CST
11. [m] TheWorthyEdge - CST
I'm the guy sitting back upset that I'll never get any of that delicious Bat Milk.

Otherwise, I'm intrigued by Kalor.

Fat4all

Banned
What do people think about the idea of more mechanics means less incentive to post for mafia?

I think there's just as much incentive for posting as little as possible to posting far too much while rolled as mafia. Both extremes build up certain other expectations alongside 'possible mafia' that can be used as deflection.

I don't usually jump to the conclusion of mafia based on post count, and at least now with the new rule about post minimums we can see the quality of a bare 10 posts and see if it seems like they are intentionally trying to go unnoticed.

batsnacks

I think there's just as much incentive for posting as little as possible to posting far too much while rolled as mafia. Both extremes build up certain other expectations alongside 'possible mafia' that can be used as deflection.

I don't usually jump to the conclusion of mafia based on post count, and at least now with the new rule about post minimums we can see the quality of a bare 10 posts and see if it seems like they are intentionally trying to go unnoticed.

I'm not talking about normal games this isn't a normal game.

If everyone (including mafia) has a role, is there more incentive to lay low than in normal games?

Fat4all

Banned
I'm not talking about normal games this isn't a normal game.

If everyone (including mafia) has a role, is there more incentive to lay low than in normal games?

That would depend on your role, I'd imagine, and whether or not you think you have to keep from having to use your ability by staying out of the conversation. I would say that laying low as town isn't very good for town in general.

Fat4all

Banned
edit: by "your role", I don't mean you specifically batsnacks, just encase you thought i was assuming sommit.

"the role" would've been more accurate to say

batsnacks

That would depend on your role, I'd imagine, and whether or not you think you have to keep from having to use your ability by staying out of the conversation. I would say that laying low as town isn't very good for town in general.

As mafia though. Example mafia team has a bunch of cool abilities, knows town probably has a bunch of cool abilities, and wants to lay lower than they would in a normal game.

As mafia I think I prefer to solve problems with abilities rather than posting in thread.

Dr. Worm

Banned
Star will have to be scum at some point I'm sure but this feels like such a wasted vote and borders on lazy depending on how well you know Star (I know you at least played with her in DR3). Lack of activity is literally her MO.

Is that tenable with enforced post minimums, do you think?

Fat4all

Banned
As mafia though. Example mafia team has a bunch of cool abilities, knows town probably has a bunch of cool abilities, and wants to lay lower than they would in a normal game.

As mafia I think I prefer to solve problems with abilities rather than posting in thread.

I don't think mafia would have to worry too much about laying super low, though. Because of the increased number of abilities at play, there's much more spectacle to distract from them as long as they don;t push a town into activating an ability directly. So I wouldn't say it's so much "laying low", but staying unassuming. It's still to mafia's benefit to try and discover important roles that can out them.

Natiko

Banned
I'm not sure that most people who roll scum even think about it so explicitly. I think sometimes they post less due to having to be more careful and being hesitant, but otherwise activity isn't alignment indicative. My entire problem with inactives is they become impossible to read beyond a gut read, so when scum is amongst them it's impossible to pick them out. The only time I was scum I don't think we ever once discussed our levels of activity or how much we should or shouldn't post.

Fat4all

Banned
by "laying low" in the traditional sense, I mean by posting as little information as possible while still nudging the post minimum. I feel like an unassuming mafia poster could post quite a bit and still do well in evading attention if done right.

I wish I was mafia with dog and worm this game lol

fun times

Fat4all

Banned
I'm not sure that most people who roll scum even think about it so explicitly.

The only time I was scum I don't think we ever once discussed our levels of activity or how much we should or shouldn't post.

I thought about it constantly. Maybe because it was my first game and I wanted to do well, but I was very conscious about how and when I posted, and even when I 'shitposted' to a degree.

Dr. Worm

Banned
I wish I was mafia with dog and worm this game lol
fun times
9bc7e6a0b68661f93ae20d269cb0ea9f.400x300x12.gif

Verelios

Yeah, sure, so long as they're not all fluff posts then there's sure to be SOME THING of value. Unless they're really all just fluff...in which case I honestly wouldn't mind voting them.
by "laying low" in the traditional sense, I mean by posting as little information as possible while still nudging the post minimum. I feel like an unassuming mafia poster could post quite a bit and still do well in evading attention if done right.

fun times
I agree with science doggy here. Scum have three modes of transport: Inactive, Unassuming and Very Active, with most scum falling into the prior two. Though, when I say unassuming, it's not related to post count or fluffing, it's the posters who are actively giving out ideas, chasing threads but never committing beyond that (ie. This guy is really scummy because of x and x and y while this guy is really scummy because z but I'll vote for t because everyone knows he's been scummy all day because of g reasons) so basically people who try and stay middle of the pack, bandwagon-ey as hell.

Sorian

Banned

0, you always find a way to lose them.

I would have gone back and added them in?

It is loose thoughts on D1? I am not sure how that is confusing.

But that's my point. The loose thoughts were mostly rubbish outside the game. People have been shit posting, I have too, but you presented your post as more than it actually was, it's just a fluff piece.

I started second guessing myself. I'm gonna wait a bit before I vote again.

Don't do that. Get back in the game. Make some reads, blow the dust off these lazy vets!

I second Faddy's answer here, obviously I disagree with your initial conclusion but shutting down for a time does nothing.

Personally don't get upset by random chance. He has no reason to pick or not pick me. Now if it started picking up I might be a little heated.

And by random chance,

VOTE: Timeaisis

I find this extremely hard to believe. And even if true, why would you be doing a random vote at this stage? There is enough material to make a real vote.

It's clear you are observing more than playing considering you always seem to pop right in if you're name is called. We don't need any of that.

VOTE: SexyFish

She still meets post minimums, it's just that most of her posts are a few words and are usually centered around misunderstandings. Which is why I read her by forcing her to vote and figuring it out from there.

Terrabyte20xx

Junior Wrestlemania XXX Champion
Role madness will always lead to less talking because people want to live long enough to use their role at least once.

When it comes to activity, I feel we as a community have a word meta issue where not posting every five seconds leads to suspicion and always lynching the highest post count. That's assuming things haven't changed much last season.

SexyFish

Banned
I find this extremely hard to believe. And even if true, why would you be doing a random vote at this stage? There is enough material to make a real vote.

It's clear you are observing more than playing considering you always seem to pop right in if you're name is called. We don't need any of that.

VOTE: SexyFish
Very good point. Pointless to not act on intuition.

VOTE: Kalor

Dr. Worm

Banned
2/2 people who gave reads on Kalor are voting Kalor I think

I don't think it counts as much as you think it counts when you're counting thinking and your count is counting your thinking.

I'm the guy sitting back upset that I'll never get any of that delicious Bat Milk.

Otherwise, I'm intrigued by Kalor.

What intrigues you?

I'm intrigued by the attention he's somehow garnered, with his six posts not doing much to intrigue me on their own. Maybe I'm just sympathetic with the indecisive? I was considering standing up for Lifeline myself.

Fat4all

Banned

seems like you were on the money there

I feel we as a community have a word meta issue where not posting every five seconds leads to suspicion and always lynching the highest post count.

In both my last two games I posted a fuckton and never got lynched.

*Splinter

Fair enough. I was busy when the game started and it wasn't until like 10pm by the time I got to the thread. Just wanted to say hello to show I didn't forget about the game. I think you are overanylzing the timing but that's fine. I'm here now.
I don't like the bolded. Is it:

"you are overanalyzing but that's fine [I don't scumread you for it. Also] I'm here now."
or
"you are overanalyzing but that's fine. I'm here now [so you can stop being suspicious of me]."
?

That's a rhetorical question. I'm saying it sounds more like the latter.

Mazre

I don't like the bolded. Is it:

"you are overanalyzing but that's fine [I don't scumread you for it. Also] I'm here now."
or
"you are overanalyzing but that's fine. I'm here now [so you can stop being suspicious of me]."
?

That's a rhetorical question. I'm saying it sounds more like the latter.

Can we avoid putting words in people's mouths? THAT's a rhetorical question.

Top Bottom