• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Armband-wearing Nazi roams Seattle instigating, gets KOed, removes armband and leaves

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can we stop with the hyperbole please. No one is doing what you say.

Let's look at a real actual possible situation. This dude gets punched, goes down, hits his head on that concrete wall behind him on the way down. Like the poster earlier stated about his friend, guy gets some brain damage and his speech patterns are messed up and is never quite the same again. Again, let me reiterate this is something that actually happened to someone from getting cold-cocked. Are you OK with that happening to this guy? Do you feel the punishment fits the crime?

nobody would cry if a nazi died

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
This is pretty much "speech is violence" territory.
Nazism is inherently an incitement of violence yes.
After Heather Heyer's death at Charlottesville
MnONPz1.gif

Christopher Cantwell: "I think a lot more people are going to die before we're done here...People die violent deaths all the time. This is part of the reason we want an ethnostate."

Why is Nazi in quotes here?
I struggle with equating idiots like this with actual WWII era Nazis. Maybe I shouldn't? I guess I just don't assign a real level of fear to a guy like this because in my mind he has no power, which is completely different from the Nazis of old who controlled Germany. There is some mental disconnect there for me.

I think part of it is not knowing the full story. The guy had a swastika armband and supposedly harassed someone on a train. Equating that to people who literally committed mass genocide is too big a mental leap for me. Hell, even assuming he'd want to do the same seems overly presumptuous, but I get the counter-argument [dude, he's literally wearing a swastika on his arm].

Nekofrog

Banned

Let's look at a real actual possible situation. This dude gets punched, goes down, hits his head on that concrete wall behind him on the way down. Like the poster earlier stated about his friend, guy gets some brain damage and his speech patterns are messed up and is never quite the same again. Again, let me reiterate this is something that actually happened to someone from getting cod-cocked. Are you OK with that happening to this guy? Do you feel the punishment fits the crime?

Yes.

If you want real talk that, we used to put bullets in the brains of Nazis. They are getting off light with a punch compared to what they used to get in the 40s.

Note that this isn't an advoction of bullets to modern day Nazi brains, it is a history lesson. Punching is totally fine.

Chjemah

Neo Member
THERE IS NO SLIPPERY SLOPE WITH VIOLENCE AGAINST NAZIS

THE SLOPE IS ALLOWING THEM A PLATFORM IN THE FIRST GODDAMNED PLACE.

While I agree with you, how long until someone is mistakenly identified as a Nazi and gets hurt/killed because someone saw a screenshot on twitter. I've seen a couple videos already without even looking of people with shaved heads being mistaken for a skinhead/Nazi.

Obviously there was no mistaking this guy, Swastika, shaved head, harassing people, etc. and he deserves more than just a punch in the face.

Let's look at a real actual possible situation. This dude gets punched, goes down, hits his head on that concrete wall behind him on the way down. Like the poster earlier stated about his friend, guy gets some brain damage and his speech patterns are messed up and is never quite the same again. Again, let me reiterate this is something that actually happened to someone from getting cold-cocked. Are you OK with that happening to this guy? Do you feel the punishment fits the crime?
Yes.
Fuck him for being a Nazi. He deserves what he gets.

Also, fuck you for trying to play hypotheticals off just because you don't want to come right off and defend him.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Man, I would love to see EvilLore's thoughts on this. I just read his incredible post in the 'NYT - When the left turns on its own' thread and I dont think people casually condoning violence is what he had in mind when he asked everyone to exchange ideas in a civil way.

There is nothing civil about knocking a man out cold. What's next? Are we going to start knocking out pedophiles? Attack people who were convicted and carried out their sentence for manslaughter? What the hell is happening to this board?

- Is wearing a nazi badge illegal? I dont think, but if it is, call the cops and have him arrested.
- Harassing minorities IS illegal. Call the cops and have him arrested.
- Punching a man IS illegal. Call the cops and have the man who knocked him out arrested.

I am a minority and I would have gone and helped him get up on his feat and call an ambulance. Maybe he sees my act of kindness and changes his opinion. Maybe he doesnt. Worst case scenario, he turns around and punches me in the face. Fine. He's a fucking nazi. That's expected of him. Why in the world are WE turning into animals?

Nokterian

I do not hit people hitting people is bad, but i do hit nazi's so don't be a fucking nazi for fucks sake, is this so hard to understand?

I always have to wonder in these instances why people insist on lecturing the normal people who oppose Nazis, instead of lecturing the actual Nazis. It's almost like people expect the far-right to be a shitty lost cause and thus there's nothing to actually do except let them be shitty, like trying to domesticate zebras.
You pretty much got it. What's the point in lecturing a mental defective? But rather than "letting" them be shitty or lecturing, it's more useful to watch them like a hawk.

It'd be poetic since Nazis despise the disabled, and it falls under self-defense. The Nazi could have attacked those guys, since he was threatening them already.

Oh cool. We are playing make believe.

What if this guy (if he didnt get punched) got more bold and went out tomorrow with a knife and stabbed some person of color.

Again, let me reiterate this is something that has actually happened when it comes to neo Nazis.

What if getting punched means this guy will rethink how free he is to harass minorities on the street.

Are you OK with this guy stabbing some poor guy? Do you feel that is something he should be allowed to do?

See, anyone can spout bullshit. ;)

Last time Nazis were peacefully allowed a platform in a country millions of innocent people were murdered en masse.

No one said anything about allowing them a platform. Hell, we're talking about Nazis, but what about everyone else?

Open transphobes cause transgender people to face extra violence in their day-to-day lives, and contribute to their suicide rate. Why not hit the non-Nazi transphobes?

Sexism goes the same way. Homophobia. Racism - racism has been the subject of a NUMBER of wars. Why not them too? Anyone who does anything despicable.

Raven117

If you wear a fucking swastika and yell on people's faces, every fucking single person that punches his fucking ass his actually engaging in self-defense. Being a nazi is by its very nature a violent act people should defend themselves off. Let everyone in the fucking street take a shot at the motherfucker.

No, it isn't.

Violence: behavior involving physical force intended to hurt, damage, or kill someone or something.

Look, I wont shed a tear for this asshole who got knocked the eff out, but whomever did it is guilty of assault and battery. A glorious bringer of street justice, but also guilty of a misdemeanor.

Man, I would love to see EvilLore's thoughts on this. I just read his incredible post in the 'NYT - When the left turns on its own' thread and I dont think people casually condoning violence is what he had in mind when he asked everyone to exchange ideas in a civil way.

There is nothing civil about knocking a man out cold. What's next? Are we going to start knocking out pedophiles? Attack people who were convicted and carried out their sentence for manslaughter? What the hell is happening to this board?

- Is wearing a nazi badge illegal? I dont think, but if it is, call the cops and have him arrested.
- Punching a man IS illegal. Call the cops and have the man who knocked him out arrested.

I am a minority and I would have gone and helped him get up on his feat and call an ambulance. Maybe he sees my act of kindness and changes his opinion. Maybe he doesnt. Worst case scenario, he turns around and punches me in the face. Fine. He's a fucking nazi. That's expected of him. Why in the world are WE turning into animals?
This is literally defence of a Nazi.

Hard to feel too bad for a neo Nazi, thankfully it was straight in the jaw, avoid any potential major damage hopefully.

Still, nonviolence is always the preferable alternative. Maybe this will lead to a few less neo Nazis mouthing off though...but a slippery slope nonetheless.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I struggle with equating idiots like this with actual WWII era Nazis. Maybe I shouldn't? I guess I just don't assign a real level of fear to a guy like this because in my mind he has no power, which is completely different from the Nazis of old who controlled Germany. There is some mental disconnect there for me.
Look at who the president is and how he struggled to fully condemn that white supremacist rally after people were injured and killed. Then think about how many innocent minorities are killed by cops who then get a slap on the wrist and that the president even encouraged the police force to "not be afraid to rough them up." It's fucking terrifying living as a minority.

I think part of it is not knowing the full story. The guy had a swastika armband and supposedly harassed someone on a train. Equating that to people who literally committed mass genocide is too big a mental leap for me. Hell, even assuming he'd want to do the same seems overly presumptuous, but I get the counter-argument [dude, he's literally wearing a swastika on his arm].
That reminds you you still haven't said what other reason a person would have for wearing that thing. What he's doing is quite literally illegal in many places outside the U.S., and for good reason.

Malyse

YES.

If he wants me to die for his ideology, I have no issue with him dying for his ideology as well.

----

5.jpg

10.jpg

stolen from Slayven.

I don't see how you can run a civilized society and also have vigilante mobs going around identifying who to attack and/or kill. There's probably a good reason why thousands of years of civilization has shown this to be a poor method of conducting a society.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
That was a killer punch. That Nazi got rocked

I don't see how you can run a civilized society and also have vigilante mobs going around identifying who to attack and/or kill. There's probably a good reason why thousands of years of civilization has shown this to be a poor method of conducting a society.

Americans like it. Second amendment is basically that. And the us government loves nazis now, so go get em antifa. Not enough nazis getting shot though . History proves shooting nazis is a SUPER good idea. It's like we can't learn from history

JSoup

Banned
What if someone kidnapped Barack Obama and forced him to dress up as a Nazi or else a bus full of children would be blown up if it goes below 55mph? How would you feel? It's something to think about.

I feel like only the first half of the movie would be interesting.
Wait, what are we talking about?

Zoon

Ok i'm gonna stop you right here. Where're you going with this hypothetical that doesn't at all apply to this specific situation? Seriously, get to the point. That violence against open nazis isn't inherently ok? That they should be able to harass people unimpeded?

If people start taking the law into their own hands it will end in chaos. There were at least 3 people there, wouldn't it be better if they immobilized him and hand him over to the police? Violence only leads to more violence.

Risible

nobody would cry if a nazi died

Oh no the nazi might have gotten brain damage

Perhaps even killed

O no

Yes.

If you want real talk that, we used to put bullets in the brains of Nazis. They are getting off light with a punch compared to what they used to get in the 40s.

Note that this isn't an advoction of bullets to modern day Nazi brains, it is a history lesson. Punching is totally fine.

This thread is insane. I'm out.

Oxn

There are some sick people on this board.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom