• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Armband-wearing Nazi roams Seattle instigating, gets KOed, removes armband and leaves

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a real good punch.

Does anyone else have dreams where you try to throw a punch but it feels like you're underwater and you can't get any momentum behind your fist? I hate that dream.

Trevelyon

And the aftermath

giphy.gif

Awww, baby went night-night. What a fucking loser.

MikeyB

This is the last thing I am going to say about this because I am really beating my head against a brick wall here.

Racism needs to be stopped. It is obviously harmful, stupid, and often deadly. White nationalism, nazi sympathizers, and all that shit - I think it has absolutely no place anywhere and hate speech laws should be strengthened to stomp it out wherever it rears its head.

Where you have a justice system in place, that is the appropriate means of taking action. Laws and the application of them is fundamental to complex societies. As it turns out, Washington state has a law that likely could have dealt with this guy and the police actually enforce it. As noted above, all of that system is in need of improvement.

Vigilante justice is deeply flawed and so much worse. It depends on individuals undertaking it to conform to the moral norm (which can be wrong) and relies on the fallible judgment of an individual. Random folks should not be judge, jury, and executioners.

Punching someone seems like a minor thing to do, but it can be deadly. A good friend of mine lost her brother when some dude took an offhand comment too seriously and punched him once. Just because a punch is a problem solving tool in 90% of mass media does not mean it is one that should be employed lightly.

The comparison of how to approach an angry idiot on a street corner who is wearing the garb of a genocidal empire to how allied soldiers fought nazi soldiers is ridiculous. One, this incident wasn't an armed conflict. Two, the violence wasn't state sanctioned. Three, the nazi idiot didn't need to be subdued for the laws to apply to him. And that's the biggest one. For all the flaws of your cops and your president, this Nazi moron on a corner was on an American corner. You didn't need to bomb him to subject him to your laws, you didn't need to shoot at him to protect the rights of other citizens, you didn't need to use force to give yourself authority to impose peace. This angry idiot was like the nazis at the end of the war. You have control and the tools to deal with him without force.

I get the visceral satisfaction of seeing somebody shut down like that, but the endorsement of mob rule is depressing. American institutions of democracy and justice, even as broken as they might seem, are a better shot at freedom than anything else.

Nepenthe

If I recall correctly, Americans took POWs and the Nuremburg trials and subsequent Nuremberg proceedings did not consist of American generals punching the accused out cold.

It is possible to believe both that Nazis are evil to be stopped and that one should use a legal process to determine how they should be dealt with.

Before the Nuremberg Trials, there was a whole lot of actual shooting of Nazis by Americans and their allies because the German people and government let that shit get out of hand in the first place. The Nuremberg Trials were also carried out by governments that- due to the toll of the war- weren't as sympathetic to Nazism as our current government and police force is anyway. We can barely arrest the dudes who beat DeAndre Harris in a timely manner in order to even have goddamn trials, to say nothing of the hemming and hawwing white moderates do concerning redefining Nazi displays as incitement because of the first amendment.

It's not a false equivalence because Nazi isn't a discrete state.

It's a strawman to say that doubt of guilt is the only reason people advocate against the death penalty.

And in no way does being against vigilantism normalize Nazis. You and everyone else making that argument are being intellectually lazy.

It is a false equivalence because the implication is that only murderers are affected by the death penalty in the same way only Nazis are affected by Nazi punching. People aren't going around to every single white dude with that annoying-ass Richard Spencer haircut and punching them. Nazis tend to out themselves before getting punched.

It's also a strawman to say that I said doubt of guilt is the only reason people advocate against it. I used it as an example to demonstrate the difference.

And being against vigilantism normalizes Nazis when this tut-tutting and finger-wagging about treating them as human beings is rarely applied in a consistent manner to other groups of people. No one gives a fuck when ISIS is blown up in countries no one gives a shit about, but here we are 50,000 pages in discussing the moral question of the century, that being whether or not it's okay to punch a dude who was confirmed to be harassing black people and their sympathizers because he believes they should die.

You know, I'm okay with this guy getting knocked out, but I think I would feel kind of bad if I learned that he became blind or suffered brain damage as a result, which gets me thinking about personal limits.

So, honest answers, how much violence could you have tolerated against this guy? How far could it have gone before it became "too much" for you, for whatever reason?

For example, if, instead of being found unconscious, they had found this guy's corpse in an alleyway, would you have still felt good about it? People keep mentioning that we killed Nazis during wartime...

You know, I'm okay with this guy getting knocked out, but I think I would feel kind of bad if I learned that he became blind or suffered brain damage as a result, which gets me thinking about personal limits.

So, honest answers, how much violence could you have tolerated against this guy? How far could it have gone before it became "too much" for you, for whatever reason?

For example, if, instead of being found unconscious, they had found this guy's corpse in an alleyway, would you have still felt good about it? People keep mentioning that we killed Nazis during wartime...

Nazis tried to destroy my family. My grandmother fled to America and suffered from PTSD her entire life.

If he lost his life, I wouldn't shed a tear. Scrub them from this earth.

Never going to condone this shit. If you think that violently assaulting someone solely for their political views - however reprehensible they might be - is okay, then you are not one of the good guys. Even the person who may or may not have been responsible for this happening is refusing to identify himself - because he believes that exactly the same will happen to him, at the hands of someone who thinks his political position is unacceptable.

Being a Nazi is not a "political view."

Get real.

Nepenthe

I wouldn't feel good about it, but I wouldn't give a damn, in the same way I don't give a damn if an ISIS fighter becomes disabled after a military grade missile lands too close.

Nazis tried to destroy my family. My grandmother fled to America and suffered from PTSD her entire life.

If he lost his life, I wouldn't shed a tear. Scrub them from this earth.

I don't think anyone would shed a tear. That doesn't address his question. At what point would you go, "Okay, that's far enough"

Seik

Banned
Real life violence is cool. Right guise?

Yeah, I'm sure that somewhere, we could've sit down with Hitler and find some middleground with our differences.

But no, we had to start WWII.

Going blind or suffering brain damage would be a consequence of wearing a Nazi armband and yelling at people of other races in the streets.

Like the consequence of taking a plunge into a pool of razors. lol

Nepenthe

Yeah, I'm sure that somewhere, we could've sit down with Hitler and find some middleground with our differences.

But no, we had to start WWII.

If only the Jewish people had talked things out, maybe Hitler would've gotten the mental help he so desperately needed.

Don't really know tbh because that's not what happened, but if I saw a headline reading "Nazi found dead in alley" I'd probably just say "word" and keep reading

watershed

Banned

If we had a police department that actively addressed situations like this and had some dedicated resources to monitor social media the way concerned citizens are clearly capable of in their free time, this situation could have been resolved. Instead we have a police force that itself has been under investigation from the justice department for excessive use of force. This happened in downtown Seattle, one of the most heavily policed areas in the city where both actual police officers and paid private security are constantly 'patrolling'.

To answer more directly, I wouldn't want this guy killed but I'm ok with how this situation played out, especially given the absence of police doing their job.

Apt101

All those nazis racing to get it removed from YouTube xD. WSHH will not be cowed.

Damn, that punch landed perfectly on the jaw. "No it's fine". lol

JaseMath

And we defeated the Nazi's in WW2 how again?

Did no one else have History classes in school?

But I do guess it'd be easy to ignore fucking nazis when you're ridiculously privileged.

I hope this post isn't insinuating me. That's not fair—you don't know a fucking thing about me. I'm not going to lose sleep over the fact that some Nazi scumbag got knocked out—sometimes you get what's coming to you. I'm just not going to be the one to do it. I simply mean to say that it discourages me how many of us (not just on GAF, but everywhere) are predisposed that violence is the answer.

FUME5

He got punched ONCE.

No-one laid the boot in when he was down.

No-one spat on him.

No-one stole anything from his unconscious form.

All these fucking hypotheticals.

Vamphuntr

Just curious so I have a question. Some of you would be ok with the guy being murdered simply because he was wearing the nazi symbol and was verbally bullying people and minorities right? So you would say extreme violence against bullies is fine?

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
I see a difference. They were mass murderers, proud members of a state run racist killing machine. this guy is a moronic fucking putz, by himself on the street of a major city blabbing about welfare with a swastika on his arm. they're on different levels.

I'll let this discussion of nomenclature go, though, i suppose it isn't terribly important.

You do know that the Nazis also started as moronic fuck wits blabbing on the streets right? It was exactly because people never imagined that these lunatic idiots could ever get into positions of power, that allowed them to bit by bit worm their way in. Before you know it, they've formed a party, are winning seats, and negotiating a power sharing scheme.

Nepenthe

Just curious so I have a question. Some of you would be ok with the guy being murdered simply because he was wearing the nazi symbol and was verbally bullying people and minorities right? So you would say extreme violence against bullies is fine?

So Nazis are just schoolyard bullies now?

This is the last thing I am going to say about this because I am really beating my head against a brick wall here.

Racism needs to be stopped. It is obviously harmful, stupid, and often deadly. White nationalism, nazi sympathizers, and all that shit - I think it has absolutely no place anywhere and hate speech laws should be strengthened to stomp it out wherever it rears its head.

Where you have a justice system in place, that is the appropriate means of taking action. Laws and the application of them is fundamental to complex societies. As it turns out, Washington state has a law that likely could have dealt with this guy and the police actually enforce it. As noted above, all of that system is in need of improvement.

Vigilante justice is deeply flawed and so much worse. It depends on individuals undertaking it to conform to the moral norm (which can be wrong) and relies on the fallible judgment of an individual. Random folks should not be judge, jury, and executioners.

Punching someone seems like a minor thing to do, but it can be deadly. A good friend of mine lost her brother when some dude took an offhand comment too seriously and punched him once. Just because a punch is a problem solving tool in 90% of mass media does not mean it is one that should be employed lightly.

The comparison of how to approach an angry idiot on a street corner who is wearing the garb of a genocidal empire to how allied soldiers fought nazi soldiers is ridiculous. One, this incident wasn't an armed conflict. Two, the violence wasn't state sanctioned. Three, the nazi idiot didn't need to be subdued for the laws to apply to him. And that's the biggest one. For all the flaws of your cops and your president, this Nazi moron on a corner was on an American corner. You didn't need to bomb him to subject him to your laws, you didn't need to shoot at him to protect the rights of other citizens, you didn't need to use force to give yourself authority to impose peace. This angry idiot was like the nazis at the end of the war. You have control and the tools to deal with him without force.

I get the visceral satisfaction of seeing somebody shut down like that, but the endorsement of mob rule is depressing. American institutions of democracy and justice, even as broken as they might seem, are a better shot at freedom than anything else.

People have lost faith in the justice system and law enforcement, and for good reason. That's where our anger and action needs to be directed towards. I think everyone agrees that lynch mobs, whoever the target, aren't generally a good idea.

Punching in my view accomplishes next to nothing except embarrassing the nazi and providing some laughter on the internet.

The answer lies in a complete overhaul of our criminal justice system. Social reform is too conservative.

Stop concern trolling for Nazis. The fuck is wrong with you?

Don't really know tbh because that's not what happened, but if I saw a headline reading "Nazi found dead in alley" I'd probably just say "word" and keep reading

I mean, yeah, realistically, that's how I would react too. So many good people die every day-- an avowed nazi getting got probably wouldn't even register.

Maybe the better question is how much violence would be just in this situation.

That doesn't really follow. A swastika on your arm counts for a lot.

To answer your question, I wouldn't lose sleep over a bully getting knocked out like this guy did, but anything beyond that is not justified.

He got decked on the jaw, not eyes.

Shaanyboi

Banned
I hope this post isn't insinuating me. That's not fair—you don't know a fucking thing about me. I'm not going to lose sleep over the fact that some Nazi scumbag got knocked out—sometimes you get what's coming to you. I'm just not going to be the one to do it. I simply mean to say that it discourages me how many of us (not just on GAF, but everywhere) are predisposed that violence is the answer.

He's a Nazi. His entire position is Aryan purity, and everything else is God's mistake.

lawnchair

Banned
As it turns out, Washington state has a law that likely could have dealt with this guy and the police actually enforce it. As noted above, all of that system is in need of improvement.

just wondering .. what is the law you speak of? malicious harassment?

watershed

Banned

Are you more concerned with imagined hypothetical scenarios or the real rise and attempted normalization of blatant Nazism and white supremacy in America?

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible

Somewhere, Chamberlain is shaking his head as a whole new generation of people have learned nothing from his blunders. You don't negotiate with Nazis, you don't appease them, and you sure as shit never, ever normalise or give them a platform of any kind.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
When they're eating through a straw and can't hurt anyone anymore

I only saw one person get hurt here. Violence will cause more violence. If it's in retaliation like the guy was being violent that would be one thing, but they should just be able to call the police and have this guy put away. The nazi should be put away just so I'm clear

Pizza

I think a socially acceptable beatdown is an okay amount of vigilante justice. They gave him a good sock and let him be.

If he was passed tf out and they started beating the hell out of him, Id have a harder time outright supporting it. He /is/ a nazi and is acting as one but hopefully he goes home and reconsiders his life after this, because he got wrecked and now has the opportunity to.

It'd be neat if public servants would publically condemn them and toss em in jail for a time out like other countries do, but here in the US public servants can explicitly state what ethnicities they'd prefer to protect, so I'm all for lending my countrymen a fist in times of need.

Id prefer if our justice system rehabilitated criminals instead of throwing them in a hell box, I feel like that's a viable option for these sheltered internet trolls gone wrong. They're dumbasses and shits, yes, but I'd prefer to turn them into a legit empathetic ally then murder them in an alleyway. Our system just isn't one that could possibly facilitate this though.

Huh, a troll form the that site which we should not name.

Why do you waste time making Alt accounts on a forum you hate?

I only saw one person get hurt here. Violence will cause more violence. If it's in retaliation like the guy was being violent that would be one thing, but they should just be able to call the police and have this guy put away

First amendment protects him from arrest.

I see that very few of you have actually encountered modern-day Nazis irl. Talk to anyone who was in the punk scene in the 90s. You have to put hands on Nazis. You have to. They're like parasites. They do not go away, and they consume and destroy everything they touch.

Shaanyboi

Banned
I only saw one person get hurt here. Violence will cause more violence. If it's in retaliation like the guy was being violent that would be one thing, but they should just be able to call the police and have this guy put away. The nazi should be put away just so I'm clear

Yeah I'm sure they'll get right on that.

jill-mumie-charlottesville-officer-viral-kkk.jpeg

cdyhybrid

Yeah, they should, but a lot of the cops are Nazis too.

Vamphuntr

Stop concern trolling for Nazis. The fuck is wrong with you?

There is nothing wrong with me. I'm just trying to find if this newly found thirst for blood is coming from the nazi symbol itself or some retribution against the oppressed movement.

If you want to keep your witty one liners and insults to keep your echo chamber going be my guest.

I'm certainly not a racist or nazi sympathizer. That doesn't mean I have to approve the beating of morons wearing a nazi symbol on the street. This guy certainly didn't murder minorities according to the report in the OP nor is he poisoning people with Zyklon B. He's simply bullying people with a symbol. If you think violence against him is justified then you have to accept violence against similar people is justified. Where do you draw the line then?

Huh, a troll form the that site which we should not name.

Why do you waste time making Alt accounts on a forum you hate?

Blanket accusations now. Real classy.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
I think a socially acceptable beatdown is an okay amount of vigilante justice. They gave him a good sock and let him be.

If he was passed tf out and they started beating the hell out of him, Id have a harder time outright supporting it. He /is/ a nazi and is acting as one but hopefully he goes home and reconsiders his life after this, because he got wrecked and now has the opportunity to.

It'd be neat if public servants would publically condemn them and toss em in jail for a time out like other countries do, but here in the US public servants can explicitly state what ethnicities they'd prefer to protect, so I'm all for lending my countrymen a fist in times of need.

Id prefer if our justice system rehabilitated criminals instead of throwing them in a hell box, I feel like that's a viable option for these sheltered internet trolls gone wrong. They're dumbasses and shits, yes, but I'd prefer to turn them into a legit empathetic ally then murder them in an alleyway. Our system just isn't one that could possibly facilitate this though.

I don't think getting punched will cause him to like the race of the person that punched him. Now he's gonna look for revenge against the the race of the person who did it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom