• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Armed group planning a "Draw Muhammad" contest outside Mosque

Status
Not open for further replies.
If by "terrorism" you mean "drawing pictures of a guy who died about 1400 years ago," yeah.

The KKK are also guilty of heinous religious bullshit, so I guess that one's a push.

But at this point it doesn't matter what they do. If drawing a pony pissed off Muslims these people would be drawing a pony (and bring guns to the event). :)

You are basically saying that people can be hateful as long as you agree with it.

Can you give a better location on where to protest radicalists? It's not like you can pick a spot where it is truly known that the people around the protest are radicalists.

I thought you were frustrating before, but this stupid reductive game you're playing in this and similar posts is making me legit angry. They're protesting at the mosque because they want to specifically upset those people at the mosque.

Literally anywhere else would be much better because they would be protesting against an idea rather than actual innocent people.

Muffdraul

Again, what's the win state? Do you actually want to see violence burst out? If they don't respond then is that success? So the message is for ISIS? Then why the mosque? Why the guns and the innocent people? Why not just create a Draw Muhammad website?

The win state would only come if everyone in the world were to draw pictures of Muhammad every day from now until there is nobody left who gets up in arms over it to the point where they want to kill someone. Protests generally aren't about "win states." They're about making statements to call attention and create awareness. That's the case here if these bikers are too drunk, smelly and racist to realize it.

Two Words

I thought your point was pretty easy to understand; throwing around bigoted stereotypes towards people who stereotype is in fact, hypocritical.

It's not the same as the "you are intolerant unless you accept my intolerance" lameness that bigots throw around because being intolerant of things isn't inherently bad; being a bigot is.

I wish people could be more constructive in conversations like this one; calling them bigots is all that needs to be said.. using stereotypes about their "culture" is not constructive and does in fact make people look like a hypocrite.

It would be the same as using culturally motivated insults of ISIS members; if people want a proper analogy. Calling these bigoted bikers "inbred meth heads" is similar to calling ISIS members "stupid rag-heads" or something; it's unnecessary.
Right, now I'm suddenly a racial profiling gun nut over not throwing stereotypes along with the other people here. People here are doing the same things that leads to hateful intolerance. Instead of trying to understand why somebody had a different view, they demonized them.

Would you support a Draw Muhammad Day by KKK?

-- not the guy you were asking but... --

I don't think "support" is the right word, I definitely wouldn't support a "Draw Mohammed Day," (I think it's disgusting and intentionally inflammatory) but I would recognize it as constitutionally permitted. I wouldn't say that the constitution "supports" a draw Mohammed day but it certainly permits it. The constitution is explicitly a document that forms and limits government, it does not form or limit people.

Where I go against this is that members of the protest are encouraged to brandish weapons. Whether it's a gun, a mace, a club, a brick, torch, or what have you, this is one thin line between "organized protest" and "angry mob."

(and for what it's worth, yes, the constitutional permits a Draw Mohammed Day by the KKK, as well as the anti-Catholic, anti-Jewish, anti-Black, anti-whatever protests by the KKK that have all been protected by the Constitution. I think they're disgusting and intentionally antagonistic)

Right, now I'm suddenly a racial profiling gun nut over not throwing stereotypes along with the other people here. People here are doing the same things that leads to hateful intolerance. Instead of trying to understand why somebody had a different view, they demonized them.

Go look at some of the posts on the Facebook page for this event and you may see the true intentions and colors of this group of individuals. It's fucking disgusting.

The win state would only come if everyone in the world were to draw pictures of Muhammad every day from now until there is nobody left who gets up in arms over it to the point where they want to kill someone. Protests generally aren't about "win states." They're about making statements to call attention and create awareness. That's the case here if these bikers are too drunk, smelly and racist to realize it.

And if they frighten and/or end up killing these worshipers or any number of innocent Muslims around the world, would that have been worth it? At that point how is that extremism any better than ISIS? It's just a replacement.

Muffdraul

Just a second ago you said you dont care if they were racists. You still supported the event.

Sounds like a pretty unequivocal statement to me.

Well, there are priorities to consider. I support draw Muhammad protests, I don't support the KKK. They cancel each other out.

I'm leaving, feel free to burn me in effigy along with the other strawmen built in here today.

Welp ... this is interesting.

I don't feel strongly either which way.
These guys are dicks, yeah ... but I'll never side with respecting any religion or respecting any belief that allows people to think it's ok to hurt/ kill someone for drawing some shit or doing anything that doesn't hurt anyone.

ASIS

Whatever the bikers' motives are, no matter how gross and racist, I support any form of Draw Muhammad protest. Doing it outside a mosque does make it more relevant and harder to ignore. And even if the people inside the mosque do not personally feel that death is the proper punishment for drawing Muhammad, it does send a message to those around the world who do. "We're not afraid of you and you can't force us to comply with your religious nonsense." That's what I am all for.

It's your right to say what you want but it's not your right to force other people to listen to you.

To honestly think that we Muslims find it OK to kill people over a drawing is unfortunate. No, we don't support any type of terrorist movements. Nonetheless we do find these drawings to be distasteful and disrespectful. This is a cultural thing as much as a religious one.

One last thing, we don't fear you and you don't fear us. No amount of drawings, bombings, to guns is going to change this fact. If peace is what we really want it's certainly not going to be through rude behavior.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Well, there are priorities to consider. I support draw Muhammad protests, I don't support the KKK. They cancel each other out.

I'm leaving, feel free to burn me in effigy along with the other strawmen built in here today.
But you just said this:

Whatever the bikers' motives are, no matter how gross and racist, I support any form of Draw Muhammad protest.
So now you're running away because your hypocrisy is showing? Typical.

Siegcram

These guys are dicks, yeah ... but I'll never side with respecting any religion or respecting any belief that allows people to think it's ok to hurt/ kill someone for drawing some shit or doing anything that doesn't hurt anyone.
But ... that's not the two options this incident presents ... at all. Seriously, is this the most infamous radical mosque and I'm missing something?

"Oops, I cant be seen supporting the KKK even though a second ago I said I dont care if the protestors are racists. bail.gif"

Wow, what a bunch of patriotic bad asses, doing what needs to be done to keep our beautiful country free from the ever increasing prospect of Sharia Law, while being armed to the teeth, right outside of a mosque, with no disrespect or racism intended. What a bunch of winners.

Fuck me.

but I'll never side with respecting any religion or respecting any belief that allows people to think it's ok to hurt/ kill someone for drawing some shit or doing anything that doesn't hurt anyone.

I'm no authority, but you'll be relieved to know that every Muslim I know insists the above is not true. Drawing a holy person is blasphemous/ offensive, but only someone off the deep end will kill you for it in this day and age.

If I owned that Wild Bills, I would shut down tonight. However, I assume a bar like that relies heavily on Motorcycle gang patrons, so their hands are tied as they don't want to piss off the biker community

Lamel

Banned
Whatever the bikers' motives are, no matter how gross and racist, I support any form of Draw Muhammad protest. Doing it outside a mosque does make it more relevant and harder to ignore. And even if the people inside the mosque do not personally feel that death is the proper punishment for drawing Muhammad, it does send a message to those around the world who do. "We're not afraid of you and you can't force us to comply with your religious nonsense." That's what I am all for.

Lol, amazing. Thanks for flat out saying it.

lednerg

This isn't about drawing Muhammad. This is a hate group terrorizing innocent American citizens, keeping them from practising their religion. There is no mosque in the country which supports killing for any reason, yet these fuckwits are acting like they're Al Qaeda recruitment centers. They have no idea what they're doing; they're protesting against people who don't exist outside of their own thick skulls.

Link

The Autumn Wind
I'm no authority, but you'll be relieved to know that every Muslim I know insists the above is not true. Drawing a holy person is blasphemous/ offensive, but only someone off the deep end will kill you for it in this day and age.
I liken it to this: Christian extremists have blown up abortion clinics and murdered doctors who perform abortions, but that doesn't mean we think all Christians think having an abortion means you deserve to die.

orochi91

You're in luck, because Islam doesn't advocate killing or hurting people who draw Muhammad.

Funny how racist bikers suddenly become heroes because they have a box of crayons.

Anyone in Tempe, stay safe

There's barely this much support mustered for actual peaceful protests such as the ones that have been going on against police brutality. But everyone is organizing against random mosque goers on a Friday evening for reasons that they can barely articulate on national TV.

Right? When it's a peaceful, anti-brutality protest it's "why can't those nig, I mean people find something else to do" but when a group of bikers want to post up outside a mosque with guns and coloring books it's "Go free speech! Fuck religion!"

Transparent

wildfire

Banned

They are angry. I see the irony you're talking about and your point lacks punch because you dismiss how emotions are rising in here. Few give a shit about being polite and correct when they are pissed off.

Two Words

They are angry. I see the irony you're talking about and your point lacks punch because you dismiss how emotions are rising in here. Few give a shit about being polite and correct when they are pissed off.
Well they should give a shit. Being angry over this shouldn't lead you to do the same kind of demonization these people are doing. I don't usually find myself using hateful language on a group of people when I'm angry.

Siegcram

I'm not angry at all. I just don't care to be considerate of the feelings of racist morons in posts they're never going to read anyways.

wildfire

Banned
I'm not angry at all. I just don't care to be considerate of the feelings of racist morons in posts they're never going to read anyways.

Even if they aren't visiting this messageboard you and everyone else are still contributing to an attitude that will bleed over into other messageboards and social media other posters from here use.

You may not be angry but your emotional disgust is still palatable (or maybe I'm projecting my own disgust with everyone else who shares a similar opinion)

Well they should give a shit. Being angry over this shouldn't lead you to do the same kind of demonization these people are doing. I don't usually find myself using hateful language on a group of people when I'm angry.
Excuse us while we try to muster a teardrop for the feelings of a hateful, racist group that jokes about muslims as a monolothic group that indulges in sex with goats. Really, you want us to be respectful towards them? Eh, they're big boys with big motorcycles and bigger guns (and small penises). I'm sure they do not feel vulnerable or demonized esecially when they are members of quite literally the most privileged class on the face of the earth.

Even if they aren't visiting this messageboard you and everyone else are still contributing to an attitude that will bleed over into other messageboards and social media other posters from here use.

You may not be angry but your emotional disgust is still palatable (or maybe I'm projecting my own disgust with everyone else who shares a similar opinion)

Oh, there are plenty of bigots and racists who visit Gaf

And fuck each and every last one of em

Two Words

Excuse us while we try to muster a teardrop for the feelings of a hateful, racist group that jokes about muslims as a monolothic group that indulges in sex with goats. Really, you want us to be respectful towards them? Eh, they're big boys with big motorcycles and bigger guns (and small penises). I'm sure they do not feel vulnerable or demonized esecially when they are members of quite literally the most privileged class on the face of the earth.
I dunno. I guess I just don't feel like "do not hatefully stereotype people" is a conditional belief to follow.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
Quoting for new page, the guy originally stated he thinks the drawing thing is stupid to begin with, he just wants an excuse to tote around his guns and make muslims feel uncomfortable and unsafe

the guy starting the event admitted the drawing thing was stupid his main goal and I quote "is to expose and show islam for what it truly is, islam is terrorism"

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Is it though? It's kinda obnoxious and disrespectful. Freedom of speech is of course paramount but this is just exploiting the right for the sake of upsetting others, basically.

That's the point of having freedom of speech.

If saying things didn't bother other people, we wouldn't have to have it written down as a law you can say whatever you want.

Link

The Autumn Wind

If saying things didn't bother other people, we wouldn't have to have it written down as a law you can say whatever you want.
You should look up the 1st Amendment and actually read it.

JDSN

Banned

"Everyone has the right to freedom of opinion and expression; this right includes freedom to hold opinions without interference and to seek, receive and impart information and ideas through any media even if the SJWs get salty." Article 19

TheStruggler

*facepalm* someone who was just interviewed that I saw thinks there are terrorists in the Mosque and I am practising Mai rites oh boy

TheStruggler

"I am waving my flag because I am a proud American"......what makes you more American than those Muslims in the Mosque...please explain.

What's with the cage in the bed of the blue truck? Anyone make out what's in it? If guns...

post-12466-I-don-t-know-what-I-expected-g-gIlY.gif

Link

The Autumn Wind
"I am waving my flag because I am a proud American"......what makes you more American than those Muslims in the Mosque...please explain.
These people would cheerfully welcome fascism if it came wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.

TheStruggler

Imam "this story should be remembered as bigotry. We have had Christian and Jewish members and leaders come to us in support and in fact they are coming tonight to help us and show support for us and how this should not be tolerated, we have the right to come to our Mosque and feel safe as well"

good

The "much anticipated" line when he was talking about a violent confrontation is really going to bite this idiot hick in the ass if he ends up on court over a shooting.

He's a disgrace to the Marine Corps.

Indicate

Imam "this story should be remembered as bigotry. We have had Christian and Jewish members and leaders come to us in support and in fact they are coming tonight to help us and show support for us and how this should not be tolerated, we have the right to come to our Mosque and feel safe as well"

good

Saw this on CNN. There was also a joint prayer with Muslims and Christians

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom