• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Armed group planning a "Draw Muhammad" contest outside Mosque

Status
Not open for further replies.
well i gave you a example, and btw i asked you questions and you didnt answer nothing so spare me your outrage.
So again do you really dont get why they are armed, if there is a good chance they get attacked?? You that naive?

You might want to check again, you didn't reply to any of my posts. And no, you did not give me an example. I said show me where this protest where Muslims were saying "kill everyone" occurred in the US, and you haven't.

What question did you ask me?

Two Words

I have nothing against the right to bear arms. I own several guns myself.

I am, however, against using those arms to intimidate people from congregating at a place of worship. Don't try and bullshit me into saying that's not what they're trying to do. Because nothing says peaceful protest like shirts that say "fuck Islam" while standing outside with guns. OF COURSE people are going to be intimidated. And guess what? You know what the definition of terrorism is? The use of violence and intimidation in the pursuit of political aims. So congrats, you're basically one step (violence) removed*.
*convenient forgetfulness of the several attacks on protestors and Muhammad cartoonists

*convenient forgetfulness of the several attacks on protestors and Muhammad cartoonists

And did ALL of these Muslims at this mosque propogate those attacks?

Maybe we should protest the existence of ALL biker gangs because of the biker gang shootouts too because a few of them killed each other?

Islam hate is wrong and all, but I don't see anything wrong with making a very public protest against Islamic extremists attacking people for drawing their prophet. I don't really care if the protest offends people. People are being and have been murdered over cartoon drawings.

And I don't really blame them for being armed.

I'd be more sympathetic to your argument if the protest weren't being deliberately held in front of a mosque. They're trying to deliberately upset completely innocent people (as far as we know) while holding guns. It's harassment.

well i gave you a example, and btw i asked you questions and you didnt answer nothing so spare me your outrage.
So again do you really dont get why they are armed, if there is a good chance they get attacked?? You that naive?

Right? Everyone knows about the basement weapon caches in Texan mosques

Two Words

How about if a bunch of people stood outside your house with guns saying "Fuck Two Words!"?
And now we've reached the point where I am expected to act as if a single person receiving the same level of attention as a religion that has violent extremists is the same.

Dryk

Two Words it doesn't matter what you may or may not feel about any specific action that people could take to try to rile you up. The point is that the (I want to stress again mostly peaceful) congregation is likely to feel insulted by this groups actions. The group know this and are doing it anyway. They could hold their rally somewhere where they're not insulting innocent people but they chose not to. That is their right under the US Constitution but that doesn't absolve them of being giant pricks.

Link

The Autumn Wind
ITT, Two Words tells us not to generalize people carrying guns while he generalizes an entire religion.

Two Words

And did ALL of these Muslims at this mosque propogate those attacks?

Maybe we should protest the existence of ALL biker gangs because of the biker gang shootouts too because a few of them killed each other?
Who cares? I don't really view religious buildings as "off limits" or something. It's not hallowed grounds to me. If it is to others, that's their problem. I don't really find it important to give value to religious places just because other people do. They could hold the protest at some park and people at the park may also find it intimidating and leave.

No, drawing cartoons of things I care about a lot does not intimidate me, even if they happen to have a gun.

That's not the point. Screw the other point, if someone with a gun stood outside of your house the whole day, you wouldn't think they were trying to intimidate you?

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Let's look for a reason to have to use our guns so we can brag about being tough on facebook.

The irony is that the majority of the people that show up claiming that people are trying to take their rights (despite the 0% chance that their right to draw a picture of muhammed will ever be taken away) would totally be willing to take away other people's rights based on shitty puritanical christian reasoning.

a religion that has violent extremists

Which one doesn't?

Siegcram

And now we've reached the point where I am expected to act as if a single person receiving the same level of attention as a religion that has violent extremists is the same.
Given you support a group that arbitrarily zero'd in on this mosque to make their point, I don't think you're in a position to complain about misappropriation of attention.

John_B

Other great ideas: draw a swastika contest outside a holocaust memorial museum, a combined burn a cross and tie a noose contest in the middle of the street in a black neighborhood, a dress up like Osama bin Laden contest on Ground Zero. Bring the family, bring your guns, it's a celebration.

Freedom of speech desperately needs a new PR agent. Deeply insulting people is not a great sales pitch.

Two Words

Would you or would you not be intimidated? Stop dancing around the question.
Yes, I would be intimidated if a dozen armed men, who have no reason to fear me attacking them, were outside my home and watching me. This is in no way relatable to people protesting a view of a religion or arming themselves due to radicalists. Just because you can form these kinds of questions doesn't make them valuable in any way. It's absurd to compare it.

Two Words

That's not the point. Screw the other point, if someone with a gun stood outside of your house the whole day, you wouldn't think they were trying to intimidate you?
Why is the person armed? Are there Two Words radicalists I don't know about who murder people that oppose me? If we're going to make this analogy work, they better exist.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
Who cares? I don't really view religious buildings as "off limits" or something. It's not hallowed grounds to me. If it is to others, that's their problem. I don't really find it important to give value to religious places just because other people do. They could hold the protest at some park and people at the park may also find it intimidating and leave.

so you agree what they are doing is intimidating? And it may intimidate a group of people regardless of background, ethnicity, culture etc.

Dryk

Yes, I would be intimidated if a dozen armed men, who have no reason to fear me attacking them, were outside my home and watching me.
What if two Tom and Jerry fans murdered a series of people with anvils? Would they have reason then?

Yes, except you aren't protesting against the people in the park. Protesting in this armed manner outside the mosque intimidates people and will most likely prevent them from congregating. That's essentially impeding another group of people's constitutional rights. You don't see a problem with this?

I wouldn't even have a problem if they had the same exact protest in the same exact location, but rather than coming armed themselves they had security in the form of police.

Why is the person armed? Are there Two Words radicalists I don't know about who murder people that oppose me? If we're going to make this analogy work, they better exist.

Why is he armed indeed? Perhaps one of your neighbors may be shady or have committed a crime, a perfectly good reason to stand in front of your house with a gun

They're going to this place to deliberately offend innocent people.

Yes. In this hypothetical, yes there are Two Worlds radical terrorists.

TheStruggler

I said people might find it intimidating.

yes however if everyday people can find it intimidating because their potential safety barrier is being threatened etc. then im sure you would as well if someone was in your safety zone doing something you may not agree with

Two Words

They're going to this place to deliberately offend innocent people.

Yes. In this hypothetical, yes there are Two Worlds radical terrorists.
If the protestors claimed they are arming themselves to prevent themselves from being attacked by my radicalists then I'd accept that. Hell, the cops will definitely be there too so this definitely isn't something where they're just trying to gun me down.

Yes, except you aren't protesting against the people in the park. Protesting in this armed manner outside the mosque intimidates people and will most likely prevent them from congregating. That's essentially impeding another group of people's constitutional rights. You don't see a problem with this?

I wouldn't even have a problem if they had the same exact protest in the same exact location, but rather than coming armed themselves they had security in the form of police.
Cops will certainly be there too.

Siegcram

So we're at the point that people aren't supposed to care about a large group of people with handguns, rifles and shotguns standing around when they go to church or shopping.

American gun culture is right up there with religious extremists in terms of willful delusion.

If it helps at all, I'd be opposed to groups of gay people staging a protest in front of a random church while making out with each other, wearing shirts that say "Fuck Jesus" and being visibly armed. Whatever the cause is, it'd be dumb harassment of innocent people.

TheStruggler

arent they infringing on the rights of the muslims as well by organising a frenzy near a place that makes them feel safe, and making them feel unwanted and unsafe while potentially harassing people in which they may never come back again.

If the protestors claimed they are arming themselves to prevent themselves from being attacked by my radicalists then I'd accept that. Hell, the cops will definitely be there too so this definitely isn't something where they're just trying to gun me down.

Cops will certainly be there too.

So...do you see a problem? Not letting you dodge the question that easily.

Two Words

arent they infringing on the rights of the muslims as well by organising a frenzy near a place that makes them feel safe, and making them feel unwanted and unsafe while potentially harassing people in which they may never come back again.
No because they are in no way impeding them from going to the mosque. You have any idea how shitty a "you made them scared so you impeded their rights" law would be?

Dryk

Nah they're not infringing on anyone's rights, they're just arseholes.

Two Words

So...do you see a problem? Not letting you dodge the question that easily.
I just said I accept that. Let me make this clear.

"Let it be known by all that Two Words accepts the protesters' right to protest their qualms they have with me near my residency. Two Words understand that they merely choose to arm themselves to protect themselves from being killed by Two Words extremists who have killed other protestors. Two Words thanks the police for keeping the peace and hopes everybody has a good time and does not feel a sense of intimidation from this protest."

Siegcram

No because they are in no way impeding them from going to the mosque. You have any idea how shitty a "you made them scared so you impeded their rights" law would be?
This is the same logic used by people defending the screaming, abusive assholes in front of abortion clinics and it's equally disgusting.

Two Words

This is the same logic used by people defending the screaming, abusive assholes in front of abortion clinics and it's equally disgusting.
Except protesting against murdering cartoonists is a bit more reasonable.

Phone is at 2% and the power just went out in this crazy storm. Guess I'm done for the night :p

Well, sure, you'd 'accept' it since, well, what else can you do? But come on, you can't tell me you don't think those protesters would be annoying idiots who should be targeting their efforts elsewhere. (Also, though I don't imagine there's anything you'd find "blasphemous", let's say these folks are drawing something they think you'll find offensive, like people raping your loved ones, and doing their best to make sure you see it).

I mean, I live a lifestyle where I have strangers come up to me on the street and try to provoke me regularly and I pretty much have to accept it, but I definitely think those people are complete shitheads who should have better things to do with their time.

You should, imo. It's a matter of free speech. Whether or not you are religious you can recognize that religion is an important form of speech for some people. And recognize that throughout history religions have been both persecutors and persecuted. A park is not a comparable form of speech, and does not have a comparable history.

In effect, they are intimidating people out of expressing their own 1st amendment rights at their place of worship. If they are truly defending free speech they would have been conscious of that and wanted to avoid it if possible. If there was a good enough reason why it had to be held there anyway, fine, but I haven't seen one. So I think they're assholes for doing it there.

Except protesting against murdering cartoonists is a bit more reasonable.

Phone is at 2% and the power just went out in this crazy storm. Guess I'm done for the night :p

There are murderers in that particular mosque?

edit: nevermind, I just saw the borderline racist bullshit you post, probably cheering for something to happen.

So is the opposite allowed - a group of people (armed as well) of Muslim faith drawing caricatures of Jesus doing something offensive in front of the church that the armed group goes to?

Freedom of speech should go both ways. The armed group should express that the group they're trying to offfend have the freedom to do this as well. Hell, they should even defend their right to do that.

Ikael

This is no exercise of the freedom of expression, this is an obvious attempt at intimidation, an act of thuggery. Fuck these hateful idiots.

Protestors aren't going to be charged with harassment. Most of those laws deal with things like "your ex won't stop drunk dialing you."

They aren't, (and perhaps for 'slippery slope' purposes shouldn't), but the idea is most of us feel this demonstration a lot more in the spirit of harassment than it is a legit protest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom