• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMORED CORE VI: FIRES OF RUBICON |OT| Souls in the Shell

STARSBarry

Gold Member
my favourite comment so far is "Armoured Core 6... Out of 10"

yeah I get it, I really do, its a solid 8/10 for me, but that's from a mech game fan. But I guess following on from Elden Ring its a though act to top, expectations are sky high.

god I hope the 3rd ending is not what we are following on from canonically, that ending is fucking stupid and jumps the shark in terms of story telling for me.

Hell when they mentioned "coral" I immediately called pretty much the main twist of the story, why?

Because Eureka 7 did the exact same thing with Coral... and mechs 2 decades ago.

like come on, what is it with Japanese dev's and these insane sounding story's that someone else has already done? why cant a merc just be a merc anymore? The fact siding completely with the corporations and making sure that coral is used for energy and information storage while also putting the local population down shows how little choice there is in playing the mercenary role. The one mission when your told to stealth attack and can hold off attacking him when he begs for his life for a pay day tricked me into thinking there would be more of that in the game, I think it happens literally twice. You don't get to make your own choice really, you get dragged along by someone else in every ending despite the importance of choice being mentioned. Sure you get to choose a mission between 2 or 3 choices later on, but its never for yourself not really, there's no "just doing my job for the payday" ending, and I really feel its missing.

Last edited:

Keihart

Anybody think they need to add even more options for a sequel or dlc expansion?

I’ve seen people mention right handed melee, right handed shield, sniper weapons, gun arms, inside parts, radar, extension/shoulder parts and even more body part combinations such as light tank threads.
pretty sure lot of the restrictions are a balance decision, that being said, i would love dual melee with unique moves although the melee already feels pretty fleshed out if you really sink your teeths into it.

There is this one combo you can do with your pulse sword, you go sword, sword, fist , fist , fist, sword, sword (the cooldowns are made for this). Sometimes you can loop into it by timming a weapon switch with an empty shoulder or a kick, depends of your generator and booster combo.
You can also use the first hit of the pulse sword as a quick boost by canceling during the leap animation, there is some momentum conserved during the cancel that allows you to break enemy lock on if you do it at the correct distance.

Keihart

my favourite comment so far is "Armoured Core 6... Out of 10"

yeah I get it, I really do, its a solid 8/10 for me, but that's from a mech game fan. But I guess following on from Elden Ring its a though act to top, expectations are sky high.

god I hope the 3rd ending is not what we are following on from canonically, that ending is fucking stupid and jumps the shark in terms of story telling for me.

Hell when they mentioned "coral" I immediately called pretty much the main twist of the story, why?

Because Eureka 7 did the exact same thing with Coral... and mechs 2 decades ago.

like come on, what is it with Japanese dev's and these insane sounding story's that someone else has already done? why cant a merc just be a merc anymore? The fact siding completely with the corporations and making sure that coral is used for energy and information storage while also putting the local population down shows how little choice there is in playing the mercenary role. The one mission when your told to stealth attack and can hold off attacking him when he begs for his life for a pay day tricked me into thinking there would be more of that in the game, I think it happens literally twice. You don't get to make your own choice really, you get dragged along by someone else in every ending despite the importance of choice being mentioned. Sure you get to choose a mission between 2 or 3 choices later on, but its never for yourself not really, there's no "just doing my job for the payday" ending, and I really feel its missing.

I'm playing full melee for a mix between Nirvash and Exia, my favorite mechas.
I just wish there were dual blades and a green generator, the coral generator is red tho, but its perfect for my build, close enough.
(Nirvash and Exia have green shit as their propulsion, the GN Drive or "sun reactor" and Trapar)

CfLo8QD.png

Sleepwalker

After dwelling on it for a few days I think Fires of Raven wouldve been my preferred ending, liberator of rubicon is also fine but changes nothing.

I do not believe the third ending to be benificial for humanity imo, your interactions with Ayre are not enough to make a reasonable person go along with that ending. I understand 621 is anything but yeah.

YukiOnna

Interesting to watch!

I'm playing full melee for a mix between Nirvash and Exia, my favorite mechas.
I just wish there were dual blades and a green generator, the coral generator is red tho, but its perfect for my build, close enough.
(Nirvash and Exia have green shit as their propulsion, the GN Drive or "sun reactor" and Trapar)

CfLo8QD.png
Nirvash like design actually fits given the story, so that's cool.

Last edited:

Shouta

I just discovered the Harris Linear Rifle and man, that's such a powerful gun. It's basically a midrange Zimmerman that you don't need to reload between shots. It let me blow through NG+ Balteus super fast with missiles for my shoulders.

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Im in chapter 5 on a decision mission about facing V. Something locksmith or eliminate a certain character.

I think im near the end now, great game 13.5 hrs in. I dont think I'll go down the NG plus runs path so will probably drop it after. Got too many games to play!

I highly highly highly encourage you do it. This is similar to Nier Automata where ending A is 1/3rd of the game.

NG+ took me like 4 hours. You’ll easily see the new content , and you can now skip all cut scenes previously to blast content. And you have all your gear plus a ton more coming your way.

I was in the same boat as you and going to not do them. So glad I did because watching the stuff on YT would NOT have done it justice first hand.

Especially if your first ending is the “bad ending.”

All in all it took me about 30 hours to see all 3 endings.

Kings Field

That CEL boss fight to finish off Chapter 4. WOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWW. WHAT A FIGHT.

had some trouble with my normal build and then went with a dual stun needler and shottty build and BAM. It was curtains for that bum.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Here's where I am :
Had the game since day2, played it only for 1 hour and a half since i started it late at night, got caught up with Days Gone (finished it yesterday) and now...I'm "scared" of starting Armored core 6 again since , don't know, don't think I'm in the mood of spending hours just in the hangar menus fiddling with things, reading descriptions, reading/looking at graphs , deciding what's best, starting a level, losing at a boss and having to fiddle with mech parts again and so on so forth - I'm getting exhausted just by thinking of it.

Maybe I'm not in the mood right now for something like this then again, my g'damned FOMO made me preorder this as to have it on D1.

I need something linear and relaxing after spending 50 hours on Days Gone and I don't think this falls into the "relaxing" category.

Maybe I'll play something else until I get in the mood (?).

Shame, I really want to jump in but I just don't have the patience for it right now.

Last edited:

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
Here's where I am :
Had the game since day2, played 1 hour and a half since i started it late at night, got caught up with Days Gone (finished it yesterday) and now...I'm "scared" of starting Armored core 6 again since , don't know, don't think I'm in the mood of spending time in the hangar menus fiddling with things, reading descriptions, reading/looking at graphs , deciding what's best, starting a level, losing at a boss and having to fiddle.with mech parts again and so on so forth - I'm getting tired just by thinking of it.

Maybe I'm not in the mood right now for something like this then again, my g'damned FOMO made me preorder this as to have it on D1.

I need something linear and relaxing after spending 50 hours on Days Gone and I don't think this falls into the "relaxing" category.

Shame, I really want to play it but I just don't have the patience for it right now.

The missions are mostly very short and not that hard. Just pick the gear you like. It is all very intuitive. The game has a few choke points but we can help you through this.

Don't think to hard about it. Go play the game, it's a lot of fun.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Here's where I am :
Had the game since day2, played it only for 1 hour and a half since i started it late at night, got caught up with Days Gone (finished it yesterday) and now...I'm "scared" of starting Armored core 6 again since , don't know, don't think I'm in the mood of spending hours just in the hangar menus fiddling with things, reading descriptions, reading/looking at graphs , deciding what's best, starting a level, losing at a boss and having to fiddle with mech parts again and so on so forth - I'm getting exhausted just by thinking of it.

Shame, I really want to jump in but I just don't have the patience for it right now.
FF16 is a more linear popcorn game. Albeit pacing can be super doo doo.

I’ve said for myself as I get older that certain games for me need a right time right place to play. I dropped elden ring after the first 20 hours and came back to it months later when I was in the mood.

I will say you really don’t spend much time in the garage or at least I didn’t lol. Some upgrades are just obvious all blue upgrade arrows. That said if you invest into it you can definitely push your AC in specific ways with understanding of the various stats. It is Froms easiest game they’ve made IMO.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
The missions are mostly very short and not that hard. Just pick the gear you like. It is all very intuitive. The game has a few choke points but we can help you through this.

Don't think to hard about it. Go play the game, it's a lot of fun.

FF16 is a more linear popcorn game. Albeit pacing can be super doo doo.

I’ve said for myself as I get older that certain games for me need a right time right place to play. I dropped elden ring after the first 20 hours and came back to it months later when I was in the mood.

I will say you really don’t spend much time in the garage or at least I didn’t lol. Some upgrades are just obvious all blue upgrade arrows. That said if you invest into it you can definitely push your AC in specific ways with understanding of the various stats. It is Froms easiest game they’ve made IMO.

Thanks boys for the Uber kind replies, I thought I was gonna get eaten alive for the post (it is a FROM game after all 😁) but...
Anyway, appreciate it !

Gonna start it up again soon, cheers !

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
Thanks boys for the Uber kind replies, I thought I was gonna get eaten alive for the post (it is a FROM game after all 😁) but...
Anyway, appreciate it !

Gonna start it up again soon, cheers !

It's about having fun with the game and to share our experiences in here. Never would I judge you as to when or if you play it.

Best part, next to playing the game itself, is to hang around in here.

Bartski

Gold Member
Patch 1.02 is out

I was expecting plenty of nerfs to known OP assemblies so this is really interesting - there is none of that and patch buffs most "cheap" machine guns and rifles, making them likely a more viable addition to a heavy back loadout. Very nice. Curious about the listed bosses' attack tweaks.

Balance Adjustments​

• Weapon Unit Balance Adjustments
    • MA-J-200 RANSETSU-RF: Increased attack power/rate of fire, decreased reload time.
    • LR-036 CURTIS: Increased attack power, decreased reload time.
    • RF-024 TURNER: Increased attack power/projectile speed, decreased reload time.
    • RF-025 SCUDDER: Increased attack power/projectile speed, decreased reload time.
    • MA-J-201 RANSETSU-AR: Increased attack power/projectile speed, decreased reload time.
    • MG-014 LUDLOW: Increased attack power/total rounds/projectile speed, decreased recoil and reload time.
    • DF-MG-02 CHANG-CHEN: Increased attack power/total rounds/projectile speed, decreased reload time.
    • MA-E-210 ETSUJIN: Increased attack power/total rounds/projectile speed, decreased reload time.
  • Adjusted certain attacks performed by the enemy units AAP07: BALTEUS, IA-13: SEA SPIDER and IB-01: CEL240.

Bug Fixes​

• Fixed a bug that prevented certain weapons from dealing damage to the boss of the mission “Destroy the Weaponized Mining Ship”.
  • Fixed a bug that caused the boss of the mission “Prevent Corporate Salvage of New Tech” to be unable to detect the player.
  • Fixed a bug that caused certain enemies to not be displayed correctly during the mission “Survey the Uninhabited Floating City”.
  • Fixed a bug that caused certain enemies and background objects to be displayed incorrectly during the mission “Attack the Old Spaceport”.
  • Fixed a bug that caused vertical missiles and certain coral weapons to deal unintended amounts of damage.
  • Improved camera controls when spectating online arena battles.
  • Fixed a bug that caused the punch animation to not be displayed correctly on the opponent’s screen during online arena battles.
  • Other bug fixes.
  • [Xbox One / Xbox Series X|S / Steam] Fixed a bug that caused the game to enter offline mode and unable to save progress after the device recovers from sleep mode.
  • [Steam] Fixed the text displayed onscreen after selecting “Quit Game” from the System Menu on the title screen.
  • [Steam] Fixed a bug causing certain bosses to be rendered incorrectly.

Last edited:

MagnesD3

Patch 1.02 is out

I was expecting plenty of nerfs to known OP assemblies so this is really interesting - there is none of that and patch buffs most "cheap" machine guns and rifles, making them likely a more viable addition to a heavy back loadout. Very nice. Curious about the listed bosses' attack tweaks.

Balance Adjustments​

• Weapon Unit Balance Adjustments
    • MA-J-200 RANSETSU-RF: Increased attack power/rate of fire, decreased reload time.
    • LR-036 CURTIS: Increased attack power, decreased reload time.
    • RF-024 TURNER: Increased attack power/projectile speed, decreased reload time.
    • RF-025 SCUDDER: Increased attack power/projectile speed, decreased reload time.
    • MA-J-201 RANSETSU-AR: Increased attack power/projectile speed, decreased reload time.
    • MG-014 LUDLOW: Increased attack power/total rounds/projectile speed, decreased recoil and reload time.
    • DF-MG-02 CHANG-CHEN: Increased attack power/total rounds/projectile speed, decreased reload time.
    • MA-E-210 ETSUJIN: Increased attack power/total rounds/projectile speed, decreased reload time.
  • Adjusted certain attacks performed by the enemy units AAP07: BALTEUS, IA-13: SEA SPIDER and IB-01: CEL240.

Bug Fixes​

• Fixed a bug that prevented certain weapons from dealing damage to the boss of the mission “Destroy the Weaponized Mining Ship”.
  • Fixed a bug that caused the boss of the mission “Prevent Corporate Salvage of New Tech” to be unable to detect the player.
  • Fixed a bug that caused certain enemies to not be displayed correctly during the mission “Survey the Uninhabited Floating City”.
  • Fixed a bug that caused certain enemies and background objects to be displayed incorrectly during the mission “Attack the Old Spaceport”.
  • Fixed a bug that caused vertical missiles and certain coral weapons to deal unintended amounts of damage.
  • Improved camera controls when spectating online arena battles.
  • Fixed a bug that caused the punch animation to not be displayed correctly on the opponent’s screen during online arena battles.
  • Other bug fixes.
  • [Xbox One / Xbox Series X|S / Steam] Fixed a bug that caused the game to enter offline mode and unable to save progress after the device recovers from sleep mode.
  • [Steam] Fixed the text displayed onscreen after selecting “Quit Game” from the System Menu on the title screen.
  • [Steam] Fixed a bug causing certain bosses to be rendered incorrectly.
I hope they didnt completely neuter the bosses, bug fixes fine nerfs no. Just make an easy mode if you are gonna just nerf the challenge out.

I dont know but i cant imagine the buffed them and people have coplained about Balteus and Spider. Balteus is my favorite boss in the game so I hope he isnt nerfed.
God I hope they haven’t listened to the whiners. Those bosses are so much fun once you get them down.

It would be nice if you could heal while staggered…

Last edited:

jayj

Banned
I passed on this because it just seemed too sweaty/difficult. They really need to discover the concept of difficulty options, so they can please all those hardcore challenge fans while making their games accessible to others.

jayj

Banned
Chasing accessibility is the worst trend in modern gaming.
What is wrong with allowing people to play games at their own pace and desired challenge, or opening up games to different demographics?

From Soft has a lot of loyal fans, I get that, but not everyone is interested in a hardcore sweaty challenge. By a certain point it seems like some people simply enjoy being punished by video games, and take offense when others don't enjoy that.

mortal

Gold Member
I passed on this because it just seemed too sweaty/difficult. They really need to discover the concept of difficulty options, so they can please all those hardcore challenge fans while making their games accessible to others.
No, I disagree. It's simply not for you and that's completely okay. Not every single piece of entertainment needs to appeal to a wider audience.

If every developer adopted this ethos for all their games we would have a world where most games play the same or provide all too similar experiences. Imo that would be a very boring and predictable gaming landscape.

While a developer has to be mindful of their audience, other times the player has to come with an open mind when considering new titles or ones they wouldn't typically play.

jayj

Banned
No, I disagree. It's simply not for you and that's completely okay. Not every single piece of entertainment needs to appeal to a wider audience.

If every developer adopted this ethos for all their games we would have a world where most games play the same or provide all too similar experiences. Imo that would be a very boring and predictable gaming landscape.

While a developer has to be mindful of their audience, other times the player has to come with an open mind when considering new titles or ones they wouldn't typically play.

Well there is a reason why I passed on this game. I usually love mech titles and the past Armored Core titles appealed to me, but From Soft is just too hardcore with their difficulty these days.

It's like good for you if you enjoy that hardcore sweaty gaming, but I will never understand why some people take offense to the existence of easier difficulty options, like that somehow effects their enjoyment of a more hardcore mode.

When will people learn not all games/books/shows/movies etc are for all people? We are spoiled for choice when it comes to games, there is something for everyone across all genres and all budgets from indie to AAA. FROM games are designed in a very specific way from the ground up, it is intentional and focused on a particular experience, one of overcoming the greatest odds, improving over time and finally achieving mastery.

I can think of nothing worse then game devs compromising their design philosophy/vision to cater to the lowest common denominator and I mean this from every single aspect of a game's design, not just difficulty. Allow creatives to create their vision and find their audience, this is the way and what makes gaming particularly unique across all forms of art/entertainment.

What is wrong with allowing people to play games at their own pace and desired challenge, or opening up games to different demographics?

From Soft has a lot of loyal fans, I get that, but not everyone is interested in a hardcore sweaty challenge. By a certain point it seems like some people simply enjoy being punished by video games, and take offense when others don't enjoy that.
Because the whole point of the games is that they are hard but fair. Everyone who finishes them went through the same struggle of ego destruction to mastery and that is half of the pull. They are games that reward a journey. Without that journey they lose their soul.

Well there is a reason why I passed on this game. I usually love mech titles and the past Armored Core titles appealed to me, but From Soft is just too hardcore with their difficulty these days.

It's like good for you if you enjoy that hardcore sweaty gaming, but I will never understand why some people take offense to the existence of easier difficulty options, like that somehow effects their enjoyment of a more hardcore mode.
It’s not offences, it’s just frustrating. Because one day somebody at Fromsoft might listen, and those games we love will no longer be created.

jayj

Banned
Because the whole point of the games is that they are hard but fair. Everyone who finishes them went through the same struggle of ego destruction to mastery and that is half of the pull. They are games that reward a journey. Without that journey they lose their soul.
Well I'd have to disagree. The entire point is games is to be fun. That is it. It is entertainment. Want to accomplish something, take on challenges? Get into sport or some kind of proactive activity. Video games are supposed to be entertainment, not a measure of prowess. Sure, it can feel nice to be good at games, and rewarding to beat tough challenges, but that can be present while still making things fun for others.

Last edited:

John Bilbo

Yes. It is like reading The Brothers Karamazov but wanting it to be more like Peppa Pig AND suggesting that the author is wrong for not accommodating to the reader's taste.

MagnesD3

Well I'd have to disagree. The entire point is games is to be fun. That is it. It is entertainment. Want to accomplish something, take on challenges? Get into sport or some kind of proactive activity. Video games are supposed to be entertainment, not a measure of prowess. Sure, it can feel nice to be good at games, and rewarding to beat tough challenges, but that can be present while still making things fun for others.
Have you played a From Software game, its kind of thier game design philosophy to be overcoming difficulty through personal growth. There are ways to make the experience easier sure but at thier core this is a huge part of what they are about. Go play kirby or animal crossing if you dont want to be challenged at all, there are games for you out there. Fun comes in alot of different shapes and for these games the challenge is alot of the fun.

Last edited:
I get my entertainment from beating my head against a boss until one of us cracks. There are plenty of other games that offer what you want. I don’t ask for them to be tougher…

Last edited:

jayj

Banned
It’s not offences, it’s just frustrating. Because one day somebody at Fromsoft might listen, and those games we love will no longer be created.

I guess I just have a different outlook as someone who is usually more into games like racing sims. They can be infamous for their difficulty if you are hardcore about them, which I usually am, but then they also tend of have a bunch of assists for people who want it to be a lot easier. Do I enjoy the challenge of turning off traction control and assists and controlling my car myself entirely with my ability? Definitely. Does the fact that some people can turn on assists and basically have half the challenge taken away effect me? Not at all.

Last edited:
I guess I just have a different outlook as someone who is usually more into games like racing sims. They can be infamous for their difficulty if you are hardcore about them, which I usually am, but then they also tend of have a bunch of assists for people who want it to be a lot easier. Do I enjoy the challenge of turning off traction control and assists and controlling my car myself entirely with my ability? Definitely. Does the fact that some people can turn on assists and basically have half the challenge taken away effect me? Not at all.
It might not affect me personally but it would damage the purity of the games as artistic expressions, which I do care about.

MagnesD3

I get my entertainment from beating my head against a boss until one of us cracks. There are plenty of other games that offer what you want. I don’t ask for them to be tougher…
I wont lie I do ask but not the whole thing, I do wish a game like Kirby would be allowed to cater to both lower level players and players who wish to be engaged with good optional content. Im actually more interested in engaging challenge than actual crazy difficulty.

Last edited:

mortal

Gold Member
Well, that's still a personal and deliberate choice on your part. Nothing is actually restricting you from trying it out as you would any other game you haven't played before.
For you, that difficulty may be a hindrance based on your personal tolerance and taste in games, while for many others that challenge is part of the experience.

Besides, even if you believe the game isn't for you doesn't mean you can't continue to appreciate the art design.
There are plenty of titles that I admire from a distance, and have no interest in playing.

Top Bottom