• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMORED CORE VI: FIRES OF RUBICON |OT| Souls in the Shell

Buggy Loop

Same thing happened in Elden Ring, Sekiro, Dark souls 3, Dark souls 2, Dark souls 1, Bloodborne. They all had boss adjustments/nerfs.

Not sure what the big fuss is. They balance things. There's no "OMG PLEBS WON, GITTTTT GUDDDD LOL" drama to be had really.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Same thing happened in Elden Ring, Sekiro, Dark souls 3, Dark souls 2, Dark souls 1, Bloodborne. They all had boss adjustments/nerfs.

Not sure what the big fuss is. They balance things. There's no "OMG PLEBS WON, GITTTTT GUDDDD LOL" drama to be had really.

Exactly....and not everyone has 8 hrs a day to game like we used to when we were kids. I enjoy a challenge but spending hrs on a boss when i only really have an hour or two a day (if that) to game, isn't fun. Not to mention i normally have multiple games i'm playing at once too, so gaming is fun....productive gaming is moreso :messenger_sunglasses:

MagnesD3

They did it the first time for a reason, they only pulled back because of people who are lazy and dont want to grow through difficulty which is what a lot of their games are largely about. Basically its appealing to the Lowest Common Denominator for profit, ya know the set of people who are basically the reason that most bad things are allowed to happen in general due to a lack of willpower. It would be different if it were bugs or an accident but the original versions were absolutely intentional in their design. If these games arent built for you or you dont have fun with them there is no shame in it just play something else you like more, dont complain in a non constructive way to warp a game not meant for you into a game that is.

Also a side note its actually hilarious in the AC6 case in particular as well because you can easily cheese this game by just switching to certain builds sidelining the challenge and this is the game that is the easiest of theirs to do it in by design so you can try other builds to make things easier per the situation..

Last edited:
Exactly....and not everyone has 8 hrs a day to game like we used to when we were kids. I enjoy a challenge but spending hrs on a boss when i only really have an hour or two a day (if that) to game, isn't fun. Not to mention i normally have multiple games i'm playing at once too, so gaming is fun....productive gaming is moreso :messenger_sunglasses:
But is fun for other people. And now that fun is gone.

Buggy Loop

They did it the first time for a reason, they only pulled back because of people who are lazy and dont want to grow through difficulty which is what a lot of their games are largely about. Basically its appealing to the Lowest Common Denominator for profit, ya know the set of people who are basically the reason that most bad things are allowed to happen in general due to a lack of willpower. It would be different if it were bugs or an accident but the original versions were absolutely intentional in their design. If these games arent built for you or you dont have fun with them there is no shame in it just play something else you like more, dont complain in a non constructive way to warp a game not meant for you into a game that is.

Also a side note its actually hilarious in the AC6 case in particular as well because you can easily cheese this game by just switching to certain builds sidelining the challenge and this is the game that is the easiest of theirs to do it in by design so you can try other builds to make things easier per the situation..

Iron Man Eye Roll GIF

Did i just read a "git gud" post?

All the games i mentioned also had nerfs, not just bug fixes, nerfs.

When From software sees their userbase hit a bottleneck early game with few % getting through, they always nerf the boss. I really don't care if you think you're "gud". I beat OG Radahn. You won't see me scour the Elden Ring discussions with new players to say to them "LOW DENOMINATOR PLAYER! GO PLAY SOMETHING ELSE!"

Fucking arrogance.

Iron Man Eye Roll GIF

When From software sees their userbase hit a bottleneck early game with few % getting through, they always nerf the boss. I really don't care if you think you're "gud". I beat OG Radahn. You won't see me scour the Elden Ring discussions with new players to say to them "LOW DENOMINATOR PLAYER! GO PLAY SOMETHING ELSE!"

Fucking arrogance.
Nobody here is scouring the internet. We are responding with our own points of view.

And yes, if you got jammed and gave up on the nerfed bosses then either git gud or move on to a new game.

MagnesD3

Iron Man Eye Roll GIF

Fucking arrogance.
No saying Git Gud is dumb, its better just to say the game is not for you because it probably isnt, if your not playing a from game partly due to the challenge of them since thats a built in design philosophy of thier modern games then you are making a poor choice. Mainstream audiences (or the LCD) do not have this level of self awareness nor do they care about anything most likely on a deeper level and arent going to respect what the game is going for. If you dont want the challenge and know its not for you so you go play something else there is absolutely nothing wrong with that though.

I will say if it were me I would have maybe switched the boss order and had OG Balteius be a little later like in Ch 3 or something, but he does prepare for the rest of the game well so its whatever, the fact he has hard counterpick options with a limited selection of parts in ch 1 is probably why they kept him there, so the player would easily find the counterpick if necessary.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Nobody here is scouring the internet. We are responding with our own points of view.

And yes, if you got jammed and gave up on the nerfed bosses then either git gud or move on to a new game.

I can’t, can I?
From software patched the game. I preordered the game ages ago but it got sided for BG3 and Starfield

How will I ever face myself in the mirror knowing I couldn’t beat OG boss like the gud boys

I'll never be as gud as you guys

Pro Wrestling Win GIF by Looney Tunes

So saddddd

Might as well just refund the game now. Why even bother to play a game where i don't have the OG GUD trophy.

No saying Git Gud is dumb, its better just to say the game is not for you because it probably isnt, if your not playing a from game partly due to the challenge of them since thats a built in design philosophy of thier modern games then you are making a poor choice. Mainstream audiences (or the LCD) do not have this level of self awareness nor do they care about anything most likely on a deeper level and arent going to respect what the game is going for. If you dont want the challenge and know its not for you so you go play something else there is absolutely nothing wrong with that though.

You're assuming so much on my abilities in souls games its getting dumb as fuck. I beat all of them, most often than not pre-patch. AC6 is on the side for RPGs. You're getting pathetic.

Should i just refund the game now? I never complained about AC6 difficulty, i never got to play it yet. I just don't see the fuss. It's been like this for all souls games. STFU with your insinuations that i was stuck in the game and that its not for me.

Last edited:

mortal

Gold Member
I can’t, can I?
From software patched the game. I preordered the game ages ago but it got sided for BG3 and Starfield

How will I ever face myself in the mirror knowing I couldn’t beat OG boss like the gud boys

So saddddd

Might as well just refund the game now. Why even bother to play a game where i don't have the OG GUD trophy.
You need to chill with the posturing. Dude was having a respectable argument with you.
You can respectfully disagree without telling someone to shut the fuck up.

Buggy Loop

You need to chill with the posturing. Dude was having a respectable argument with you.
You can respectfully disagree without telling someone to shut the fuck up.

He keeps assuming that i was just WAITING on a nerf to continue playing AC6, telling me to move on to other games. That's not a respectable argument, it's plain dumb. He assumed wrong. He went full in with the git gud narrative, go play another game! It's not for you! I haven't even installed the damn thing, and its been preordered since the steam page opened.

So which is it, do i refund the game now because the challenge is gone? I'll probably jump in after another 40 hours or so of Starfield. By then probably other bosses will be nerfed too! Oh my god.

Last edited:

MagnesD3

I can’t, can I?

So saddddd

You're assuming so much on my abilities in souls games its getting dumb as fuck. I beat all of them, most often than not pre-patch. AC6 is on the side for RPGs. You're getting pathetic.

Should i just refund the game now? I never complained about AC6 difficulty, i never got to play it yet. I just don't see the fuss. It's been like this for all souls games. STFU with your insinuations that i was stuck in the game and that its not for me.
Who said Im talking about you or your abilities? Who cares how good you are, you might be 10 times better than me idc, thats not what im talking about. What im talking about is maintaining good game design and creative vision versus folding to the mostly thoughtless masses to make a quick buck.

mortal

Gold Member
He keeps assuming that i was just WAITING on a nerf to continue playing AC6, telling me to move on to other games. That's not a respectable argument, it's plain dumb. He assumed wrong.

So which is it, do i refund the game now because the challenge is gone? I'll probably jump in after another 40 hours or so of Starfield. By then probably other bosses will be nerfed too! Oh my god.
I believe he was speaking generally and not specifically about you.

I can’t, can I?

So saddddd

Should i just refund the game now? I never complained about AC6 difficulty, i never got to play it yet. I just don't see the fuss. It's been like this for all souls games. STFU with your insinuations that i was stuck in the game and that it’s not for me.
Huh… I have no idea about your playing experience and nowhere did I insinuate that I did. I was talking in the collective ‘you’ as in: the people who whined loudly enough about difficultly for From to bend the knee. It was purely rhetorical.

Last edited:
Finally finished my first playthrough of the game (PC) and I wanted to write down some my thoughts...

I really enjoyed the fast-paced combat of this one, especially the blinding speed of the later bosses. While I know this has been somewhat of a controversial issue with FromSoftware's recent games, I think it fits perfectly for a mech-action game like Armored Core. To me, this satisfied my craving for something akin to Virtual ON so the combat + speed of engagements were everything I could hope for. If they ever release twin-stick peripherals for the PC and/or consoles, then I'll pre-order in a heartbeat. The feel of dashing from side-to-side while firing an endless barrage of lasers from dual handguns followed by split second assault-boosting to deal critical blow with my laser sword is intoxicating. From a pure combat perspective, Sekiro just barely manages to edge out Armored Core as my favorite game and that's only because it's my favorite playstyle for any Souls + Souls-adjacent game (dexterity + endurance + low weight). When considering build variety and the general feel of combat, Armored Core stands up there with the best of the best in From's arsenal.

The journey I took to create the perfect mech to match my playstyle was equally as addicting, since I could feel tangible improvements almost every time I left the garage. With each tweak, I felt like I was getting closer to crafting that apex predator of an AC. I'm proud (and stubborn) enough to say that I never radically shifted my AC's build for any of the bosses in the game; I only focused on min/maxing the qualities that I was already pursuing (max speed, quickboost speed + recharge, energy + melee damage, EN recharge, etc.). At the end, I felt l like I was nearing the max capabilities of my mech and it was damn satisfying to go toe-to-toe with the final boss and deliver the final blow using the same build I had been cultivating since the beginning of the game. I know there's still a ton of parts to find and combat logs to acquire, so I'm really hoping I find some better equipment for my NG+ playthrough to fully realize the potential of my build.

I enjoy Sekiro's and Demon's Soul's music the most, but it was really refreshing to hear such a wholly different soundtrack this time around. I'm usually fine with using my OLED's built-in speakers since I don't like wearing headphones for long periods of time, but I felt compelled to use headphones just to fully appreciate the major contributions the audio made to the atmosphere + boss encounters.

Regarding graphics, I think the art style is awesome as usual, but I personally think the actual rendering looks pretty dated. Art style trumps graphics obviously, but AC6 looks worse off than Sekiro and Elden Ring. Sekiro has the excuse of being a highly focused title and I consider it the most visually polished of FromSoftware's catalogue. Looking at Elden Ring, there is the stupidly large scope to account for (even considering the re-used assets), but it still manages to be real treat for the eyes overall with a gorgeous open-world. Armored Core isn't as small in scope as Sekiro and much much smaller than Elden Ring while looking like a step-down compared to both. I guess you could say that the focus on the performance + high framerates is needed for gameplay fluidity so the visuals had to take a hit. I know that I'm not going to be looking at the tiny buildings, trees, and terrain deformation in snowy/sandy levels when I'm zipping around in my mech at 200 kmph, but some of the cutscenes really bring some of the uglier details to the forefront and can't be ignored. Interestingly enough, this game comes with the most PC configuration options (ultra widescreen, 120fps, ray tracing in the garage) so it's a step forward in that department. If they could also include DLSS + raytracing during missions in a later update, that would be the cherry on top and make for a truly high-quality PC release.

Story is fairly straightforward for a FromSoftware title, although I wish the main characters were more than just voices over an intercom system. I still felt a real connection with Walter, Carla, Rusty, Arye, but I think having some character art to overlay with the audio would have been a nice touch. I still have to finish the game a couple more times before I get the full story, but I liked the general atmosphere and tone of what I've experienced thus far. I actually found myself agonizing over critical branching decisions in the game because of how well the story manages to make choices seem so morally ambiguous. I'm definitely planning to start my NG+ playthrough next weekend just so I could make up to Ayre and Rusty after doing them dirty the first time around (went with Overseer ending).

TLDR; yet another top-notch gaming experience delivered by FromSoftware and easily worth the $60 I paid - 9/10

dIABo3.png

MagnesD3

Finally finished my first playthrough of the game (PC) and I wanted to write down some my thoughts...

I really enjoyed the fast-paced combat of this one, especially the blinding speed of the later bosses. While I know this has been somewhat of a controversial issue with FromSoftware's recent games, I think it fits perfectly for a mech-action game like Armored Core. To me, this satisfied my craving for something akin to Virtual ON so the combat + speed of engagements were everything I could hope for. If they ever release twin-stick peripherals for the PC and/or consoles, then I'll pre-order in a heartbeat. The feel of dashing from side-to-side while firing an endless barrage of lasers from dual handguns followed by split second assault-boosting to deal critical blow with my laser sword is intoxicating. From a pure combat perspective, Sekiro just barely manages to edge out Armored Core as my favorite game and that's only because it's my favorite playstyle for any Souls + Souls-adjacent game (dexterity + endurance + low weight). When considering build variety and the general feel of combat, Armored Core stands up there with the best of the best in From's arsenal.

The journey I took to create the perfect mech to match my playstyle was equally as addicting, since I could feel tangible improvements almost every time I left the garage. With each tweak, I felt like I was getting closer to crafting that apex predator of an AC. I'm proud (and stubborn) enough to say that I never radically shifted my AC's build for any of the bosses in the game; I only focused on min/maxing the qualities that I was already pursuing (max speed, quickboost speed + recharge, energy + melee damage, EN recharge, etc.). At the end, I felt l like I was nearing the max capabilities of my mech and it was damn satisfying to go toe-to-toe with the final boss and deliver the final blow using the same build I had been cultivating since the beginning of the game. I know there's still a ton of parts to find and combat logs to acquire, so I'm really hoping I find some better equipment for my NG+ playthrough to fully realize the potential of my build.

I enjoy Sekiro's and Demon's Soul's music the most, but it was really refreshing to hear such a wholly different soundtrack this time around. I'm usually fine with using my OLED's built-in speakers since I don't like wearing headphones for long periods of time, but I felt compelled to use headphones just to fully appreciate the major contributions the audio made to the atmosphere + boss encounters.

Regarding graphics, I think the art style is awesome as usual, but I personally think the actual rendering looks pretty dated. Art style trumps graphics obviously, but AC6 looks worse off than Sekiro and Elden Ring. Sekiro has the excuse of being a highly focused title and I consider it the most visually polished of FromSoftware's catalogue. Looking at Elden Ring, there is the stupidly large scope to account for (even considering the re-used assets), but it still manages to be real treat for the eyes overall with a gorgeous open-world. Armored Core isn't as small in scope as Sekiro and much much smaller than Elden Ring while looking like a step-down compared to both. I guess you could say that the focus on the performance + high framerates is needed for gameplay fluidity so the visuals had to take a hit. I know that I'm not going to be looking at the tiny buildings, trees, and terrain deformation in snowy/sandy levels when I'm zipping around in my mech at 200 kmph, but some of the cutscenes really bring some of the uglier details to the forefront and can't be ignored. Interestingly enough, this game comes with the most PC configuration options (ultra widescreen, 120fps, ray tracing in the garage) so it's a step forward in that department. If they could also include DLSS + raytracing during missions in a later update, that would be the cherry on top and make for a truly high-quality PC release.

Story is fairly straightforward for a FromSoftware title, although I wish the main characters were more than just voices over an intercom system. I still felt a real connection with Walter, Carla, Rusty, Arye, but I think having some character art to overlay with the audio would have been a nice touch. I still have to finish the game a couple more times before I get the full story, but I liked the general atmosphere and tone of what I've experienced thus far. I actually found myself agonizing over critical branching decisions in the game because of how well the story manages to make choices seem so morally ambiguous. I'm definitely planning to start my NG+ playthrough next weekend just so I could make up to Ayre and Rusty after doing them dirty the first time around (went with Overseer ending).

TLDR; yet another top-notch gaming experience delivered by FromSoftware and easily worth the $60 I paid - 9/10

dIABo3.png

Story keeps getting better in subsiquent playthroughs just so ya know, its pretty interesting and there are some unexpected twists.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
I gave it a shot but this game isnt for me. The nonstop death and retrying over and over and if i get to a checkpoint the only option is to keep going and beat the mission.

I cant stop for the night and save and come back to that same checkpoint again without having to start the mission over again from the beginning. I know theyre not the same games but even the souls games would let you continue from a bonfire next to a boss if you wanted to save and quit for the day.

Taking a break from this game and maybe ill come back. Too many other games and not enough available gaming time in my day to waste 1-2 hrs at a time dieing nonstop and then have nothing to show for it.

Last edited:

SCB3

I gave it a shot but this game isnt for me. The nonstop death and retrying over and over and if i get to a checkpoint the only option is to keep going and beat the mission.

I cant stop for the night and save and come back to that same checkpoint again without having to start the mission over again from the beginning. I know theyre not the same games but even the souls games would let you continue from a bonfire next to a boss if you wanted to save and quit for the day.

Taking a break from this game and maybe ill come back. Too many other games and not enough available gaming time in my day to waste 1-2 hrs at a time dieing nonstop and then have nothing to show for it.
At first I had this same issue, but truth be told none of the missions are all that long anyway so whilst it may seem annoying to reply, you do end up getting better at it

Currently I'm mid way through Chapter 2 now, I'm using a Gatling Gun, sword and Dual Plasma Rail Guns on a Biped Mech, this feels great but the only issue is, I have so much money and nothing to upgrade yet...

Also, who the fuck added Stealth missions into a game like this?

Last edited:

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
At first I had this same issue, but truth be told none of the missions are all that long anyway so whilst it may seem annoying to reply, you do end up getting better at it

Currently I'm mid way through Chapter 2 now, I'm using a Gatling Gun, sword and Dual Plasma Rail Guns on a Biped Mech, this feels great but the only issue is, I have so much money and nothing to upgrade yet...

Also, who the fuck added Stealth missions into a game like this?

Thank you for this reply......i was expecting a flood of GIT GUD replies so thankfully that didn't happen lol. I'm glad its not just me who feels that way, and i know if i stuck at only this game over and over for hours on end, it would click and i'd be fine. I'm sure im going to come back to it, just taking a break for a bit.

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!

Most missions are incredible short and checkpoints are generous. Many can be cleared within 5 min on average i'd say and some even within seconds if you know what you are doing. The trial and error process of finding a build that works and getting accustomed to the level itself shouldn't take you hours on end for a single mission.

Sure there are exceptions and it would help to know where you struggle so that we could help you out.

You either lack the reflexes and coordination required, which i highly doubt, or you use inefficient builds. Be sure to not just "slap" something together and try to be aware of what the different stats do. A build with long range weapons on a mech that is focused on close range damage wouldn't be a good build for example.

_Ex_

Beat this on PS4 tonight.

+A stiff challenge that will keep your AC on its robot toes.
+Loads and loads of variability to the AC designs to assemble.
+Lots of variety to the mission designs.
+The graphical aesthetic and English voice acting are both well done.
+This is the best mecha game ever made; bless FromSoftware for bringing back AC with such gusto.

-Far more twitch reflex based than previous AC games.
-I don't care for tower defense missions.
-The audio engine is kinda tinny and quiet, I had to pump up the volume twice as loud as I normally do for PS4 games.
-I found myself wishing I could access the AC Shop when continuing at a checkpoint, but ya can't.

9/10 for this old AC fan (back in ye day I beat all the PS1 AC games, a bunch of the PS2 ones)

Last edited:

Makariel

I think I'm pretty close to the end now, question regarding NG+: upon completing the last mission, does everything (shop, replayable missions) get reset for NG+ or can I keep failing to reach S-ranks and buy more parts? Should I search for and collect all hidden parts before I go to the last mission?

killatopak

I think I'm pretty close to the end now, question regarding NG+: upon completing the last mission, does everything (shop, replayable missions) get reset for NG+ or can I keep failing to reach S-ranks and buy more parts? Should I search for and collect all hidden parts before I go to the last mission?
Everything is available for NG+. You can replay every mission you have done. What NG+ does is present you with new missions, chips and parts to acquire.

You however have to start again at the first mission and progress enough so the new missions show up.

Crayon

I just started playing. That helicopter was balls hard. A ton of people who bought the game probably got stuck on that. I'm glad that it has a bunch of easy missions after. Surprised they put that helicopter thing 15 minutes in though.

Draugoth

Gold Member
They nerfed dual shotgun.

I guess im never finishing this game anymore lol

They nerfed dual shotgun.

I guess im never finishing this game anymore lol

Kinda fair lol. The Zimmerman was pure games journo mode.

Last edited:

MikeM

Just finished the game and going for round #2. Totally cheesed the last boss tho (won’t spoil for others).

NG+ is different tho- some missions have in-mission choices. Curious to see how this changes things…

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Just finished the game and going for round #2. Totally cheesed the last boss tho (won’t spoil for others).

NG+ is different tho- some missions have in-mission choices. Curious to see how this changes things…
Oh man you in for a ride, also to me the multiple playthrough in this is essential. Some people going think is similar to Souls game but it’s actual is much closer to Routes in Drakemgard/Nier game, one playthrough doesn't mean you finished the game.

Top Bottom