• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS Global Testpunch Thread: Let's see if this has LEGS

It's more like Street Fighter II's arcade mode where you run the gamut of fighters and then a boss at the end. There's also other modes that you play in SP like skillshot where you break targets using your newly acquired arms and a "horde"-mode as well.

yWb6Lly.gif

It's literally Mario Kart but with punching instead of racing, content wise. Brought to you buy the Mario Kart team. :)

Thanks guys! Looking forward to play the TestPunch

So now I'm morbidly curious, but are the ARMS easy to cut? Can they even be repaired?
Thanks to experiments like Helix, scientists have a good understanding of how ARMS work. With this knowledge, they are able to not only create characters with ARMS, but also repair any damages that may be done to currently existing arms.

I just made all of that up, actually. BUT, wouldn't it be kind of cool if they included that in the lore, and made a horde mode that consists of hundreds of failed experiments. Deformed Helix's coming from all angles, some with overpowered arms and others with broken arms, some with really stretchy arms and others with arms that barely go two feet.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Really interested in seeing how this thing plays in handheld mode, the docked joy con configuration is obviously the piece de resistance no doubt and I doubt that the handheld mode will be as compelling but that's how I play 99.99% of the time and so ultimately that'll determine if I buy this game or not, I've been very interested and optimistic about this game since it was revealed so here's hoping!
If you can customise the controls to not be as terrible as the ones in the OP, handheld mode will be a fine way to play. But if those controls are locked down, oh my lord have Nintendo fucked up.

I get a terrible feeling that handheld controls may have been gimped so that it matches the single joycon controls.

Totakeke

If you can customise the controls to not be as terrible as the ones in the OP, handheld mode will be a fine way to play. But if those controls are locked down, oh my lord have Nintendo fucked up.

I get a terrible feeling that handheld controls may have been gimped so that it matches the single joycon controls.

Less hyperbole please. One reason they decided not to make players use two analog sticks, face buttons, shoulder buttons, and maybe the dpad, all at the same time, because they want the game to be accessible even with non-motion controls. Like seriously, a lot of the proposed controls seem like they have a high learning curve. So like if I want to jump leftwards and left punch to the right on your controls. I have to tilt left analog stick right, press a face button, release the face button, move my right thumb to the right analog stick, tilt it right, and press the shoulder button within a second. Oh and also some actions require you to hold the jump button like Mechanica's hover. How do you direct your punches then while hovering? Use a claw grip?

The block button is questionable, and having customizable controls would be nice, yes, but saying the default controls are a fuck up feels like missing the point of controls of the first place. They should be intuitive and straightforward to use first and foremost.

KingErich

Banned

This is Nintendo your talking about. You honestly think they have the foresight for custom anything? This is a slow old rigid company that can't adapt to the ways modern gamers demand flexibility in their game experiences.

ksamedi

This is Nintendo your talking about. You honestly think they have the foresight for custom anything? This is a slow old rigid company that can't adapt to the ways modern gamers demand flexibility in their game experiences.

The Switch is a pretty good example of that they certainly can.

Harpoon

Thanks to experiments like Helix, scientists have a good understanding of how ARMS work. With this knowledge, they are able to not only create characters with ARMS, but also repair any damages that may be done to currently existing arms.

I just made all of that up, actually. BUT, wouldn't it be kind of cool if they included that in the lore, and made a horde mode that consists of hundreds of failed experiments. Deformed Helix's coming from all angles, some with overpowered arms and others with broken arms, some with really stretchy arms and others with arms that barely go two feet.

They already have that 1-on-100 mode where you fight a bunch of Helix-like creatures.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe

You do realize plenty of Nintendo games have custom controller input setup right?

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Less hyperbole please. One reason they decided not to make players use two analog sticks, face buttons, shoulder buttons, and maybe the dpad, all at the same time, because they want the game to be accessible even with non-motion controls. Like seriously, a lot of the proposed controls seem like they have a high learning curve. So like if I want to jump leftwards and left punch to the right on your controls. I have to tilt left analog stick right, press a face button, release the face button, move my right thumb to the right analog stick, tilt it right, and press the shoulder button within a second. Oh and also some actions require you to hold the jump button like Mechanica's hover. How do you direct your punches then while hovering? Use a claw grip?

The block button is questionable, and having customizable controls would be nice, yes, but saying the default controls are a fuck up feels like missing the point of controls of the first place. They should be intuitive and straightforward to use first and foremost.
So put punch curving on the left stick as well then. Which I assume it already does since if it doesn't then it's not possible to curve your punches at all. Which would be awful. The reason I said right stick is because it would allow independent movement and punch curving controls at the same time.

KingErich

Banned
The Switch is a pretty good example of that they certainly can.

Meh, I certainly didn't need a home console that I can take with me. Sure it's nice but totally unnecessary. I'd take a more powerful or cheaper Switch without the screen and packed with a normal controller.

I'd also like better multiplayer experiences on Nintendo consoles. VC games that are cross platform. Custom controls. I could go on. But I am in a Gaf Nintendo thread.

KingErich

Banned
You do realize plenty of Nintendo games have custom controller input setup right?

My biggest beef was that I was forced to use the Wii Remote in sideways mode for New Super Mario Wii. The biggest offence is I had to jerk the controller to jump, so dumb. And I couldn't use a GC controller in Wii Twilight Princess. At that point I just gave up on Nintendo offering options for their consoles.

As I said, there may be some sort of change happening. I just perceive it as being unbelievably slow and without them listening to fans/gamers.

Doorman

So put punch curving on the left stick as well then. Which I assume it already does since if it doesn't then it's not possible to curve your punches at all. Which would be awful. The reason I said right stick is because it would allow independent movement and punch curving controls at the same time.
Punch curves are controlled by the left stick, yes. Even with motion controls, movement and curves are both tied to tilting the joy-cons, so the only functionality that button controls lack is being able to curve your punches in different directions simultaneously.

Blocking on the stick-click doesn't sound ideal to me either, but I'm going to reserve judgment on it until trying it myself. It's not like a "sprint" situation where some games have you click the stick and then move with it as well, I don't expect it to be as bad as some are fearing.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Made by one of the big first party teams?

Yeah. iirc even DKCRTF and the 3DS DKCR port had them.

My biggest beef was that I was forced to use the Wii Remote in sideways mode for New Super Mario Wii. The biggest offence is I had to jerk the controller to jump, so dumb. And I couldn't use a GC controller in Wii Twilight Princess. At that point I just gave up on Nintendo offering options for their consoles.

As I said, there may be some sort of change happening. I just perceive it as being unbelievably slow and without them listening to fans/gamers.

Personally I dunno how hard it is to use the Wiimote for NSMBW, and you don't jerk the controller to jump, but to do a spin. In U the multiple controllers exist.

Meh, I certainly didn't need a home console that I can take with me. Sure it's nice but totally unnecessary. I'd take a more powerful or cheaper Switch without the screen and packed with a normal controller.

I'd also like better multiplayer experiences on Nintendo consoles. VC games that are cross platform. Custom controls. I could go on. But I am in a Gaf Nintendo thread.

I agree, they should let you rebind in Arms.

But how many threads are you going to go in and concern troll about the Switch not being a regular console, that nintendo fanboys are all a rabid circle jerk, etc? After you're the one coming in to these threads and saying but why isn't Nintendo doing x y z q that -I- want? It's not all about you.

Perhaps if you keep complaining about the fundamental design of the console, Nintendo will throw out their whole idea and make a stock standard home console to appease you.

Keep beating that drum. The only reason people are irritated is that they're Nintendo GAF sheeple.

Zakalwe

Banned
Rebinding should be a standard. I mean, accessibility for people who really need it aside, it's incredibly frustrating having to deal with certain control schemes outside the standard at times. I know you can rebind on the OS level sometimes, or buy custom gear, but it really should be a standard option in-game on console.

I'd re-bind the shit out of Zelda if I could (maybe not now I've learnt it, but at the start it would have been a dream).

People have been playing ARMS and raving though, so hopefully the scheme is fine. Even if not I'll learn it, but for friends who don't play often I hope it's not hard to pick up in local MP.

Geg

Tell us how you really feel

My biggest beef was that I was forced to use the Wii Remote in sideways mode for New Super Mario Wii. The biggest offence is I had to jerk the controller to jump, so dumb.

Imagine having a beef with a Company for a decade because you didn't remember how to play a Mario game.

TheMoon

So the tried and true approach that has been done for years. Like a true old, rigid company would decide was the way to keep doing it? :D

You see the irony, right?

Amani

Definitely going in on motion controls for this, they seem fun as fuck. Who are you guys gonna play as? I'm probably gonna stick to Min Min and DNA Man, maybe Spring Man too.

RAWRferal

Wait... So is this definitely available in the UK tonight?

I thought it was US only? Or is that in reference to the fact that due to time zones it won't be 26/05 but 27/05 in the UK when it becomes available?

If so, hell yes!

TheMoon

Wait... So is this definitely available in the UK tonight?

I thought it was US only? Or is that in reference to the fact that due to time zones it won't be 26/05 but 27/05 in the UK when it becomes available?

If so, hell yes!

What about the word "global" is confusing you? :)

TeegsD

So what are the chances that the sideways joy-con control scheme will be viable? I don't particularly want to get a new set of controllers and hoping that my single pair will be good enough to play with friends.

ryechu

Stop being unreasonably honest.

KingErich

Banned
Perhaps if you keep complaining about the fundamental design of the console, Nintendo will throw out their whole idea and make a stock standard home console to appease you.

Keep beating that drum. The only reason people are irritated is that they're Nintendo GAF sheeple.

It worked on Microsoft with the Kinect. They dumped that shit. But MS listens to their customers.

KingErich

Banned
Yeah. iirc even DKCRTF and the 3DS DKCR port had them.

Personally I dunno how hard it is to use the Wiimote for NSMBW, and you don't jerk the controller to jump, but to do a spin. In U the multiple controllers exist.

Why not give players an option to use the classic controller? There was no need for the jerky move at all. It was to justify the use of the unerganomic Wii Remote.

In the end with Nintendo it comes down to what gimmick they want you to play with. At least with the Switch, it makes sense and is useful. Motion controls notwithstanding. To each their own though.

Again why am I always beat up in these threads? Nintendo zealots can't take criticism? Only Nintendo fans saying Nintendo praises are allowed? I'm here to be the voice of reality. ;) The yin to your yang.

I'll even give ARMS a yank.

MTC100

Banned
Testpunch is at 2am tomorrow where I live :(

Gotta work on saturday but I'll be home for the 2pm Testpunch at least.

-So what, America already got their hands on arms with the testpunch yet?

Listonosh

So I'm not going to go into detail here because I believe the preview embargo makes it so I can't talk about the game in depth, but so far, at least in MY PERSONAL OPINION, the controller is superior to motion controls. Sorry motion control purists!

Top Bottom