• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS launches June 16

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Interesting.

Mechanica's profile states that she wears a suit because she doesn't have ARMS power.

Not a chance. Okāsan no Rāmen. Minmin is inarguably the greatest female character the medium has seen and it's not even close.

She's pure because she's not a mutant

/s

SalvaPot

So each of the announced fighters have their own stage. Spring Man has the generic boxing rink. Ribbon Girl has a concert hall dance stage. Ninjara has a ninja temple with sakura tree. Mechana has a construction site. Master Mummy has a spooky graveyard. Min Min has the giant ramen bowl.

A seventh stage is shown, corresponding to one of the other characters. This character clearly has the DNA double helix as arms. My bet is on the white character being a Mewtwo-like genetically engineered clone. We can see the body of this character (or at least his minions) in giant test chambers on this stage.

Other stuff I noticed: Each of the characters has their own icon. This is often shown on their stage, but I didn't spot all of them. There's also logos representing the brands of different equipment suppliers. The Arms League has its own logo, looking kind of like a letter A with a globe in the middle and lightning coming out of the bottom. The fans in the audience members dress up like the characters you're playing as in Kirby-like costumes.

Silly guesses: The green sex robot is really a humanoid wearing a welding mask, with fire arms. The Luchadora has spandex arms. The yellow robot has braided extension cord arms.

My guess is that Luchadora's ARMS are going to be made out of ring ropes:

107354e0d08b16775d.jpg

Also, expect suplexes or holds as her special move.

Mandelbo

Not a chance. Okāsan no Rāmen. Minmin is inarguably the greatest female character the medium has seen and it's not even close.

Now now, Minmin's fantastic and all, but Mechanica wants to punch people so much, but she doesn't have the arms for the job. Did she let that stop her? No! She just built a robot to do it for her! How admirable of her!

So if this is successful (hell even if it isn't).
And the characters are well liked by all, it would be interesting to see who they pick for Smash.

Crayolan

This thread is going places.

And the characters are well liked by all, it would be interesting to see who they pick for Smash.

Ribbon Girl or Spring Man, since they seem to be the Ryu/Chun Li equivalents and the main face(s) of the series. I could see them sharing a character slot Olimar/Alph style.

jdstorm

Banned

My guess. None of the above. At this early stage it would seemingly create too much brand confusion. Since a new Smash game is rumoured to be due this year.

I think the first real shot an Arms character has at making it into smash is in whatever the next Smash game is when its released in 2020+

Cerium

My guess. None of the above. At this early stage it would seemingly create too much brand confusion. Since a new Smash game is rumoured to be due this year.

I think the first real shot an Arms character has at making it into smash is in whatever the next Smash game is when its released in 2020+

Nobody is going to confuse Smash with anything. Smash is a household name.

SalvaPot

Nobody is going to confuse Smash with anything. Smash is a household name.

Yep, it really depends on:

-When Smash Switch is releasing
>If its summer or fall, chances are there is not enough time to add them unless they gave the info to the Smash team since way before.
>If its holiday or 2018, then it depends if Nintendo wants the franchise to be represented, otherwise they won't bother.
>If its a brand new Smash game, we can expect it by 2020 and then they are in there for sure.

Mdk7

Between this and Splatoon, Nintendo is really fucking nailing the art direction lately.
Amazing job, seriously.

I may be a little behind, but did they ever confirm that they're robots? I remember people talking about how Mechanica was the only one with the different, most human-like eyes.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I may be a little behind, but did they ever confirm that they're robots? I remember people talking about how Mechanica was the only one with the different, most human-like eyes.
Fairly sure they're genetically engineered there's a map that implies that heavily.

Damn this game is looking excellent. Everything about it looks fun, polished, and charming. Character count doesn't seem as big a deal to me as much as the total number of Arms, but it's good to know they've still got some character reveals up their sleeves since the fighters themselves are overflowing with personality. Really terrific designs.

I'm in for the yellow Joy Cons too. Needed a second pair and that color is amazing. Hope they really give this game its due at E3, because everyone needs to see much more of it. Easily my most anticipated Switch game on the horizon.

Hoping they announce some details on SP, even if it's just a kind of "classic mode" with consecutive CPU battles. If the roster isn't too huge, I'd be pumped for each character having a unique story campaign.

What depth?

Each character having unique abilities/stats, the fact that Arms can be customized and have different traits, the differences in terrain between arenas, each character having unique burst attacks and grabs.

If ARMS has no depth, then neither does any other fighting game. You're going to have to do some real serious explaining if you're trying to make the case that there's none here.

I mean, the answer to your question is instantly apparent if you've watched even five minutes of explanation about how the game works. I don't even understand where the "looks too simple" sentiment comes from AT all. It's like Splatoon all over again.

DKL

I love the music, art, design and everything about this game.

Honestly, I'm finding the visuals more appealing than most of the fighting games released in recent memory, which is funny since the Switch isn't as powerful as the consoles those games released on lol

(pls have instant rematch)

But yeah, I wish this got some kind of demo after the Direct... I really wanna know what the tech in this game is since it's getting more interesting as I watch more of it.

HeroR

Except Splatoon at launch was a $10 eShop title. Though I wouldn't personally go that far but it was definitely not worth $60. It was barebones and had literally nothing. I know because I got it at launch. I regretted my purchase. Thankfully they patched it up so it's a different story now but people aren't wrong and have every right to worry about Arms or express their concerns regarding it because they've pulled this shit before.

Regardless, Arms doesn't look that extensive anyway so I doubt it'll lack content. It'll probably be more about how it's lacking as a game, period.

But I guess we'll see. To me it looks like it's nothing special and probably will be reviewed as an average to mediocre game. There's no middle ground. I don't think it'll be good or bad, just alright.

They didn't patch it in, they outright said that they were going to slowly roll out the content over the course of weeks. So it isn't like you didn't know what you were getting at launch. If you wanted more, you should have just waited.

Not the official translation, I know, but I take it "belongs to" corresponds directly to the stages we've seen and denotes each character's home stage.

Nah, tbe official stahes are seperate. Ribbon Girl and Mechanica's stages are listed as "coming soon", though I think we have seen them (beingvthe junkyard and concert stage).
At the very least, it sounds like there will be more stages in the base gams than there was in Splatoon at launch.

Peltz

I'm kinda hyped for this game, but I also feel like it could be really terrible. Like, it all depends on how good the controls feel. If they feel tight, then this could be an instant classic like Splatoon.

But part of me is worried that the camera placement is a bit off (your character/arms sometimes cover the view of the opponent) and throwing punches at a distance feels like it needs a high degree of fidelity of control to feel right. For example, I'm not sure how they can make it feel good to throw an "inside out" curved punch (i.e. punching with your right arm and having it curve right as well). It looks so floaty and unnatural.

I'm going to give the game the benefit of the doubt due to the pedigree of the studio making it. But I have my concerns.

Doorman

Throughout the day I've been wavering back and forth over whether I think this release date is a good or bad thing for the game. On one hand, an ARMS tournament being held early on like the Nintendo World Championships from a couple years ago would be some good exposure for the game at a time when a lot of eyes would be on it, and I've constantly heard people mention that it hitting right at the end of the show might be good for people who just finished binging on E3 bombshells and are eager for a newly-released game to actually play instead of just read about.

On the other hand...it also means that the game is launching right in the midst of when people's knowledge of other games releasing later in the year and their excitement for those are all at their highest. Press during the week or so leading up to E3 is going to be filled with a lot of speculation and prediction talk, and lots of analysis during and after the show of all the "big gun" announcements, so outside of the theoretical tournament I don't think most media would have the time at that point to give ARMS much attention or coverage during its release. If reviews for the game are posted prior to E3, they'll get buried by newsposts almost immediately, and if reviews don't come out until later it risks losing some of its release momentum. I'm concerned that people for whom the game isn't already on their radar may not see enough of it to generate interest before they're mentally already onto other things. I think the way Nintendo schedules the information rollout from here until release is going to be very delicate and very critical, because I don't know if this is going to come out with the sense of it being a crown jewel when hype is at its highest, or a whimper drowned out by bigger winds.

Top Bottom