• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS launches June 16

Whoa; so many details packed into one lil screenshot! Excellent analysis, friend! So, Mr. DNA almost certainly resembles the clones in the tubes then, eh? I do wonder if the three arms will come into play?

The spring Anubis is also interesting, perhaps the unrevealed lady will be Cleopatra-themed with an Anubis signature glove? It does seem that each character has a "signature" arm style, anyways.

I don't think we ever got a full translation of Inklish, now that you mention it...

I kinda think the spring-necked portrait is just a sight gag. But, that's just my gut feeling.

Interesting to see a map here, but I can't really make out any details.

Also interesting is the implication that ARMS fighters have been around for quite some time. The lore for this game should be fascinating!

Can't wait to see more details as launch day gets closer!

Wait a tick; look at the monitor on the right. There appears to be an illustration of Mr. DNA budding just below Mechanica's face. Could his special be to split into two copies of himself? That monitor also raises some questions. Who's keeping tabs on the fighters? Why these four specifically?

Something else I found interesting: there appear to be several schematics for gloves among the pages on the floor. I wonder if they'll be some of our unlockable options? I also noticed that the tubes appear to be covered in scratches and cracks, as if something were attempting to open them. Could Mr. DNA be attempting to rescue his "brothers"? This screen is fascinating; I keep seeing something new every time I look at it!

Yeah I'm inclined to agree that the neck spring is just a gag, but Biff does have a fist on his head...

Also, who's to say those scratch marks are on the outside of those tubes? O:

I bet Mr DNA is the clone that broke out of the chamber in the far back Cerium pointed out

Man I can't wait to find out more about this gaaaaame

SalvaPot

So I discovered this in the Fan Art thread but it's probably better served in this thread where we can discuss it and be on-topic:

3181277-nintendoswitch-arms-bkgd-03.jpg

This is the biggest version of this image I can find. So on the wall on the left, we have what is possibly the "full" version of Mr DNA. The character select screen version has a digital visor to give him eyes, and what appears to be a metal nub on his head to cover what look to be loose strands of DNA poking out of his noggin.

Second thing to note, on the left a little further back is an open book with what looks to be some kind of Egyptian artwork, what looks like some kind of Anubis but with a coil body. Possibly hinting at an Egyptian-themed fighter? Maybe the dark-skinned woman? DLC?

Third, the character on the floor. Looks like Mr DNA again. I wonder if we're going to get some kind of Rosetta Stone for the written language in ARMS so we can translate all this text on the floor? I know we have Hyrulean for Zelda, did we ever get any translation for the text in Splatoon? I haven't played much of Splatoon so I don't even know if one would be needed, but there's obviously a tooooonnnnn of text to read here.

Fourth, tons of pages on the floor. One of them shows what appears to be Mr DNA with 3 arms. Could this be his special, or just an ARMS version of that Michelangelo drawing of the human body with multiple arms and legs?

Fifth, on the right side now, a framed picture of someone who's NECK is a spring? Easter Egg, or could we get a character that has body parts other than arms that extend?

Sixth, right side again, a book or page with what look like hieroglyphics of ancient ARMS fighters?

Seventh, behind the spring neck painting on the right, a giant map. Overworld?

DEEPEST LORE

I hope there's an unlockable art gallery so we can get better looks at this stuff.

Very interesting indeed! Also this may seem obvious, but on the right pay attention to the four already revealed characters (Mecanica, Spring Man, Ninjara and Ribbon Girl) and lets talk about it for a bit.

For starters, we also have this weird lenguage below each of them. If they are direct "translations" it could be easy to identify the symbols, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Also is possible they are on the screen because they are been investigated somehow or are just the characters that are playing on the current round (Similar to the screen on Pokemon Stadium or the Boxing Ring in Smash).

I'll have argued that they were images of test subjects, but then we have to remember Mechanica is not an "Armsona", since she has to use a robot to fight.

Very interesting indeed! Also this may seem obvious, but on the right pay attention to the four already revealed characters (Mecanica, Spring Man, Ninjara and Ribbon Girl) and lets talk about it for a bit.

For starters, we also have this weird lenguage below each of them. If they are direct "translations" it could be easy to identify the symbols, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Also is possible they are on the screen because they are been investigated somehow or are just the characters that are playing on the current round (Similar to the screen on Pokemon Stadium or the Boxing Ring in Smash).

I'll have argued that they were images of test subjects, but then we have to remember Mechanica is not an "Armsona", since she has to use a robot to fight.

The text may not be their names actually, looking at it more it looks like each image has a specific facial feature highlighted.

Ribbon Girl - Mouth
Spring Man - Hair
Ninjara - Nose?
Mechanica - Cheek? Ear?

I wonder if the owner of the lab is trying to recreate Mr DNA using parts of the other fighters? Or maybe using the other fighters as a template for the "final" stage of Mr DNA (I'm assuming here his gelatinous form is unfinished)

Yeah I'm inclined to agree that the neck spring is just a gag, but Biff does have a fist on his head...

Also, who's to say those scratch marks are on the outside of those tubes? O:

I bet Mr DNA is the clone that broke out of the chamber in the far back Cerium pointed out

Man I can't wait to find out more about this gaaaaame

Yeah, Mr. DNA is probably the cause of that broken tank in the back room. Also, good point on the scratches!

Also, I kinda hope his name is actually Mr. DNA. It's growing on me! It'll probably be something like Armoeba or something though.

SalvaPot

The text may not be their names actually, looking at it more it looks like each image has a specific facial feature highlighted.

Ribbon Girl - Mouth
Spring Man - Hair
Ninjara - Nose?
Mechanica - Cheek? Ear?

I wonder if the owner of the lab is trying to recreate Mr DNA using parts of the other fighters? Or maybe using the other fighters as a template for the "final" stage of Mr DNA (I'm assuming here his gelatinous form is unfinished)

I think its highlighting their defining facial feature as you say, yeah. If I had to guess.

Ribbon Girl is her lips (Because she uses lipstick?)
Spring Man is obviously the springy hair.
Ninjara is his chain glasses.
And Mechanica I think is the headphones around her cheeks, yeah. Maybe she commands her suit with the help of that?

I think its highlighting their defining facial feature as you say, yeah. If I had to guess.

Ribbon Girl is her lips (Because she uses lipstick?)
Spring Man is obviously the springy hair.
Ninjara is his chain glasses.
And Mechanica I think is the headphones around her cheeks, yeah. Maybe she commands her suit with the help of that?

Oh yeah good point! Isn't Ribbon Girl an idol too? Maybe it's her mouth AKA her voice?

Edit: Oh shiiiiii

Ribbon Girl
Belongs To: Ribbon Label
Height: 169cm
Weight: Only as much as her fans think!

ARGH I wanna crack the language so bad! The word under Ribbon Girl appears to be five letters, but is is M O U T H or V O I C E or something else?? FFFFFFFFF

ryechu

That engraving of those arms entwining below the drawing of DNA man is unsettling. Flashbacks to the ending of Uzumaki. This game is so weird.

So I discovered this in the Fan Art thread but it's probably better served in this thread where we can discuss it and be on-topic:

This is the biggest version of this image I can find. So on the wall on the left, we have what is possibly the "full" version of Mr DNA. The character select screen version has a digital visor to give him eyes, and what appears to be a metal nub on his head to cover what look to be loose strands of DNA poking out of his noggin.

Second thing to note, on the left a little further back is an open book with what looks to be some kind of Egyptian artwork, what looks like some kind of Anubis but with a coil body. Possibly hinting at an Egyptian-themed fighter? Maybe the dark-skinned woman? DLC?

Third, the character on the floor. Looks like Mr DNA again. I wonder if we're going to get some kind of Rosetta Stone for the written language in ARMS so we can translate all this text on the floor? I know we have Hyrulean for Zelda, did we ever get any translation for the text in Splatoon? I haven't played much of Splatoon so I don't even know if one would be needed, but there's obviously a tooooonnnnn of text to read here.

Fourth, tons of pages on the floor. One of them shows what appears to be Mr DNA with 3 arms. Could this be his special, or just an ARMS version of that Michelangelo drawing of the human body with multiple arms and legs?

Fifth, on the right side now, a framed picture of someone who's NECK is a spring? Easter Egg, or could we get a character that has body parts other than arms that extend?

Sixth, right side again, a book or page with what look like hieroglyphics of ancient ARMS fighters?

Seventh, behind the spring neck painting on the right, a giant map. Overworld?

DEEPEST LORE

I hope there's an unlockable art gallery so we can get better looks at this stuff.

Dr. Gero is cooking up some Perfect Arms.

w04nruX.jpg

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

Ribbon Girl - Mouth
Spring Man - Hair
Ninjara - Nose?
Mechanica - Cheek? Ear?

So, ARMS' version of a Chimera, basically. Or, if we want to stay in anime, ARMS' version of Kimeramon.

Spy

This is honestly one of my most anticipated Switch games. The gameplay reminds me of Virtual On and the art direction is top notch. I wonder if we'll eventually see someone from this series make an appearance in the rumored Smash Bros. port.

Felensis

Banned
Had the chance to play it back in January during a Switch Fan Event from Nintendo. Before I was very skeptical about ARMS, but afterwards I think this is definitely a sleeper hit! Totally loved playing it. The first few fights were basically some wild "Wii Sports Boxing" waggling, but soon after I've discovered the varied movements and deep tactics which are possible also thanks to the variety of the characters and the boxing gloves.

Can't wait to play the final version!

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Even more stuff in that image:
Around the ARMS logo on the floor are six different DNA related ARMS symbols - power ups for Mr. DNA?

Also, if you look at the Mr. DNA on the floor (front and center) next to his left shoulder is a schematic of the "power coupling" devices seen in the back of the room holding between them the green "DNA gate". Is this some sort of containment field meant to prevent whatever was in the tank from escaping? Obviously didn't work...

Also, why are there so many globes in this room?

Edit: on the wall behind the middle left pillar hangs a tapestry with what looks like another significant drawing of an animal/spring hybrid. Do we have images of this room from a different perspective where it's visible?

This is definitely some mad scientist's lab, full of machinery and ancient books!

Even more stuff in that image:
Around the ARMS logo on the floor are six different DNA related ARMS symbols - power ups for Mr. DNA?

Also, if you look at the Mr. DNA on the floor (front and center) next to his left shoulder is a schematic of the "power coupling" devices seen in the back of the room holding between them the green "DNA gate". Is this some sort of containment field meant to prevent whatever was in the tank from escaping? Obviously didn't work...

Also, why are there so many globes in this room?

Edit: on the wall behind the middle left pillar hangs a tapestry with what looks like another significant drawing of an animal/spring hybrid. Do we have images of this room from a different perspective where it's visible?

This is definitely some mad scientist's lab, full of machinery and ancient books!

From what I can see of the tapestry, it appears to be a unicorn with a spring horn.

Zubz

Banned
I expected to come in here expecting the Minmin hype train continued. I did not expect we would be so far down into the Goo Guy hole, but I'm excited to see how deep it goes!

Doorman

I expected to come in here expecting the Minmin hype train continued. I did not expect we would be so far down into the Goo Guy hole, but I'm excited to see how deep it goes!
Here's hoping the inevitable fan art following thread doesn't take this sentence to heart...

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!

Neat!

Something else to maybe note, the DNA person on the floor has spirals throughout their body that look fairly similar to the spirals in the eyes of the ARMS fighters. Maybe this isn't a representation of a specific "DNA fighter," but rather just the genesis for the ARMS fighters as a whole? Maybe they all start like the proto-humans in the test tubes in this room, and grow into more unique fighters from there?

[Edit] Oh didn't realize there was another page of replies, but still, definitely think those spirals match the eyes.

Neat!

Something else to maybe note, the DNA person on the floor has spirals throughout their body that look fairly similar to the spirals in the eyes of the ARMS fighters. Maybe this isn't a representation of a specific "DNA fighter," but rather just the genesis for the ARMS fighters as a whole? Maybe they all start like the proto-humans in the test tubes in this room, and grow into more unique fighters from there?

The more theories I read involving this lab and Mr. DNA, the more excited I am to figure out what his actual story is! I wonder if each character will have a storyline of their own?

cloudyboy

Neo Member
the main question is, who and why someone would want to make such clones in test chambers?

I think this could be implementable as a story modes in which you fight against evils clones of the main characters. alternatively, the plot could be more similar to a Pokemon plot where someone would create an ultimate being (mewtwo and in this case Mr DNA). which backfire horribly, considering all the books and drawings on the ground...

Doorman

My best guess personally is that there's a scientist obsessed with people with "Arms Power" and has been researching it relentlessly in a quest to form the world's ultimate ARMS fighter. He's been watching and researching the rest of the tournament's competitors to try and build his Mr. DNA to overcome them. The playable version is either a busted-out escapee, or what the professor believes is his "perfect" finished product.

mas8705

Not to be rude, but doesn't Master Mummy already fulfill the role of the "Egyptian-Themed Fighter"? Not to say that we can't have two fighters from with the Egyptian Theme, but I'd like to think that they are wanting to limit the amount of ARMS and not try and put in doubles.

We have Springs, Ribbons, Chains, Mummy Wraps, Ramen Noodles and whatever Mechanica's ARMs gimmick is. Honestly, I can see someone using Ropes or Whips for their Arms gimmick, and for all we know, perhaps we could see that in fighters that have not been revealed yet.

Still though, everything else you have said was definitely something interesting to consider. It could explain why it seems every fighter in ARMs (except Mechanica) have those weird eyes.

Not to be rude, but doesn't Master Mummy already fulfill the role of the "Egyptian-Themed Fighter"? Not to say that we can't have two fighters from with the Egyptian Theme, but I'd like to think that they are wanting to limit the amount of ARMS and not try and put in doubles.

We have Springs, Ribbons, Chains, Mummy Wraps, Ramen Noodles and whatever Mechanica's ARMs gimmick is. Honestly, I can see someone using Ropes or Whips for their Arms gimmick, and for all we know, perhaps we could see that in fighters that have not been revealed yet.

Still though, everything else you have said was definitely something interesting to consider. It could explain why it seems every fighter in ARMs (except Mechanica) have those weird eyes.

Well, to be fair, mummies in Japanese games aren't necessarily Egyptian-themed like they are in Western series. They could make a Cleopatra-themed fighter different enough to warrant a new character.

Hmm, think this is something different to DNA guy. Sorry if already mentioned

ObAGn47.jpg

Edit: quality didn't come out so well, it's on the floor near the springy head

TZchassis

what if those Mr DNA replicas fight you if you break the tubes that they are in? I am pretty sure I saw one of the tubes break on a trailer or the direct. I find it hard to believe that they just break and nothing happens. Most other levels seems to have some interactive stuff as well.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
what if those Mr DNA replicas fight you if you break the tubes that they are in? I am pretty sure I saw one of the tubes break on a trailer or the direct. I find it hard to believe that they just break and nothing happens. Most other levels seems to have some interactive stuff as well.

We saw them break in the invitational, they don't do anything.

You know what, I feel incredibly stupid for this but I completely forgot about Master Mummy when I wrote that. A Cleopatra-esque fighter would, IMO, be different enough if they gave her like snake or Anubis arms and went really heavy on the Egypt motif (Master Mummy seems like a generic "spooky" mummy and his bio just says he woke up bandaged in a hospital I think?), but there's also no reason they couldn't make a snake/Anubis weapon or power up that Master Mummy would use instead of an entirely separate character.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
1uZMO2w.png

The translation really sheds some light on the lore.

Top Bottom