• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS |OT| (’-‘)-------------

Interesting, weird though- Toaster is already a Fire Glove... Maybe it's in the slower Bubb/Buff class but gets bigger in addition to getting Fire when charged?

After playing against Max Brass a lot, it really just does seem to be a Toaster with purple fire. I think the difference will come from its damage output, size, speed, and curving ability.

The main issue with custom Arms at big events is that it's uncommon for TOs to ask players to bring setups to the larger events. Even in the case that they do, it's difficult to run those events making sure all consoles are where they're supposed to be, when they're supposed to be there. It can be done for sure, but most TOs of big events don't bother with that kind of potential headache.

I said we could see them at smaller events because generally speaking community members bring their consoles. I still don't think custom will be the tournament standard though (assuming a tournament scene even sticks). Custom events will likely be special circumstances and not the standard.

I haven't been a TO for several years now (since I worked for IGN), but there's been no indication that I've seen that TOs are willing to put in the work for custom Arms. We'll see though. Maybe the competitive scene will take off and that will change. At this point I'd be surprised to see Arms at Evo next year.

The thing is, I can't imagine players being OK with having to adjust to two different ways of playing. I think that the player base supporting the TOs with set-ups will help things along.

jts

...hate me...
Okay, exactly what do the plus arms do? Better attack and defense stats? I tried to google it, but the words are so generic.

Okay, exactly what do the plus arms do? Better attack and defense stats? I tried to google it, but the words are so generic.

Only two differences, I think:

1) Makes charged attacks do 10 more damage.
2) Having a heavy ARM equipped gives your throw 5 extra damage. So, with two heavy ARMS you will do 10 extra damage.

And... that's it.

jts

...hate me...
Only two differences, I think:

1) Makes charged attacks do 10 more damage.
2) Having a heavy ARM equipped gives your throw 5 extra damage. So, with two heavy ARMS you will do 10 extra damage.

And... that's it.
Alright, makes sense as I didn't feel a huge difference.

Thanks!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
About to go on vacation...

I'm thinking the punching would bother people next to me on the plane, so I guess I won't be able to play my innovative portable 3D online fighting game with motion controls and instead will have to settle for playing a portable open-world 3D Zelda game while flying in a giant metal bird through the sky.

sigh

About to go on vacation...

I'm thinking the punching would bother people next to me on the plane, so I guess I won't be able to play my innovative portable 3D online fighting game with motion controls and instead will have to settle for playing a portable open-world 3D Zelda game while flying in a giant metal bird through the sky.

sigh

You can always play it in handheld mode.

That's what ive been doing when I'm on the go.

LordKano

Hey, I've finally beat Grand Prix lvl 4 with Spring Man on first try. It almost feels like I'm improving.
DDcYaT8UwAAd6qD.jpg
Now maybe I'll try another character, I've played exclusively Spring Man since I got the game lol.

Any videos of really high level play in arms? I'm really curious to see if people are really much better than what I experienced in the test punch.

Ryde3

Some questions guys.

When playing splitscreen, can you not use the joycons on the grip or can you only use the motion controls?

Are you able to send invites or messages to friends while in the game? I already know there's no voice chat but this seems super unintuitive.

ThatMattZ

Man is this game so fun once it clicks.

Punishing people who rely on grabbing is most satisfying thing in this game.

You said it. Running a perfect on Ninjaras who just teleport and grab is so satisfying. Re matching them and using a completely different character and arms and doing the same thing is the absolute best.

DrDogg

The thing is, I can't imagine players being OK with having to adjust to two different ways of playing. I think that the player base supporting the TOs with set-ups will help things along.

My local tournaments are default only and both WNF tournaments are default only. I don't think it's two different ways of playing that people would have to adjust to. It's the standard (default), and then the occasional "for fun" tournament with custom Arms that tournament players would simply not practice.

At first I wanted custom Arms, but at this point I feel as though default Arms actually makes the game better. Each character has their unique trait, which is nice and somewhat unique, but the differences in the characters aren't as significant as the differences in the Arms. Half the characters you can play in a nearly identical way if they can all use the same Arms. I think forcing default Arms gives the game more individuality.

Just to be clear, I'm not saying the character differences are insignificant, just that the ability to change Arms makes those differences far less significant.

Kireek

What is the general strategy against Kid Cobra players? I use Min Min and I notice that I tend to get my ass kicked by them far more than any other character, especially ones that use the hydra/ ice boomerang combo

Nightii

Banned
I can only say that I hope DrDogg's predictions never come to pass and tournaments find a way to allow custom ARMS and not have it looked down and mocked as a "casual" mode.

I don't need another fighter that I like warped by people having shit attitudes and berating others for "being wrong" about how things should be done.

Ogodei

Was hesitant about going through GP4 with Master Mummy and ended up having an easier time with him than with Ninjara or Byte & Barq. Mostly stand still and counterpunch. Didn't even use the block-to-heal trick except when enemy fighters really put the pressure on me.

Only Mechanica, Ninjara, and Hedlok gave me trouble (which was the first time i had a hard time with Hedlok due to Master Mummy's poor dodging.)
The guy gets his family back in the stinger!
It's so cute.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
So what's a good strategy for tower helix that wails and the double vertical tribolt cobra that wails?

Just get better at dodging I guess?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
So what's a good strategy for tower helix that wails and the double vertical tribolt cobra that wails?

Just get better at dodging I guess?

If the Helix is firing lights, parasol is a great counter. Double hydra Cobra is tough, but yeah good dodging and something high curve can beat him. I've been wondering how whammer handles the Hydra spread too...

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
If the Helix is firing lights, parasol is a great counter. Double hydra Cobra is tough, but yeah good dodging and something high curve can beat him. I've been wondering how whammer handles the Hydra spread too...

Parasol sounds like a good strategy for light tower helix, alongside whammer and megaton maybe?

The Helix I played equipped strictly fire gloves and just wailed in tower mode, and I had zero answers for it with my current arm loadout. It also probably didn't help matters that we were playing on Mechanica's stage, and the Helix rushed to the high ground each round.

I was playing as ribbon girl, and my slapamenders could not connect, leaving my only strategy to weave and dodge my way inside to try and get a hit with my popper. I just couldn't do it successfully enough to do major damage.

And double Hydra cobra... Oh boy that is a frustrating play-style to go against. I tried strictly slapamenders (high curve like you said), which worked well until one didn't connect, which leaves you wide open for a 1-2 punch. I lost 2-1, and I am pretty much at a lost of how to approach that style going froward. The Tribolts ground Ribbon-Girl, taking away the advantage she has in the air. Maybe Twintelle would have some better luck with witch time?

Nico_D

GP 6 is annoying as hell. Stuck at Mechanica. She's not the most dexterous character in the game but still somehow she manages to evade all my hits and then pummeling me with homie.

There's no way that a game with such high production values should be worth $30. The lack of single-player content is a fair point, but that shouldn't by itself cut the price in half.

Again, it's not just the lack of singleplayer content, but the lack of characters and mechanics also, that severely dimishes the value for me.

I feel that games like Ratchet and Clank (2016) and Crash Bandicoot (N Sane Collection) represent similar 'high production games' that have lower price tags. In fact I'd say both of those games have a higher production value, and more content, than this $60 game. Though of course, sit within a different genre.

Again, it's not just the lack of singleplayer content, but the lack of characters and mechanics also, that severely dimishes the value for me.

I feel that games like Ratchet and Clank (2016) and Crash Bandicoot (N Sane Collection) represent similar 'high production games' that have lower price tags. In fact I'd say both of those games have a higher production value, and more content, than this $60 game. Though of course, sit within a different genre.

So an up-ressed remaster of a throwback platformer with all the archaic gameplay qualities of a 1st generation 3D game has more production value than Arms.

Okay.

Crazyorloco

Hey, I've finally beat Grand Prix lvl 4 with Spring Man on first try. It almost feels like I'm improving.

Now maybe I'll try another character, I've played exclusively Spring Man since I got the game lol.

MIN MIN player here...
playing with another character completely throws me off. I have to start from like rank 1 to get use to the game again lol

atr0cious

I swear it's like half of GAF has never bought a fighting game before.

Whammer is pretty good against Hydra. It can knock all 3 shots down, and then hit you if you haven't gotten to move yet.

Neoxon

What's the best way to get points to unlock arms?

Also I hate how unlocks work
  • Play 2v2 V-Ball with Level 6 or 7 CPUs
  • Set your CPU partner as Ribbon Girl with Poppers
  • Set both enemies as Helix with nothing but Guardians
  • Profit
It's as simple as 1-2-3.......4-5.

Played against a Mechanica last night that put me into a couple of situations I wasn't sure how to deal with - specifically, they were incredible at using their super on me when I'm vulnerable. So they would hold onto a super until the very moment I throw out anything, in which case they activate and completely wreck me with it. I learned my lesson after them doing it to me twice, but then we just sat there not throwing any punches because we were both waiting for the other to flinch. I don't really know what to do in this situation, because the moment I throw out anything I'm going to eat a full super attack.

My first thought was: I wish we had feint attacks.

My follow up thought was: I have no idea what to do about this other than to...mind game them really close up into flinching themselves?

Need to stress they had incredible reaction time.

You understand that those two games you listed are remakes of existing games, right?

Peltz

Played against a Mechanica last night that put me into a couple of situations I wasn't sure how to deal with - specifically, they were incredible at using their super on me when I'm vulnerable. So they would hold onto a super until the very moment I throw out anything, in which case they activate and completely wreck me with it. I learned my lesson after them doing it to me twice, but then we just sat there not throwing any punches because we were both waiting for the other to flinch. I don't really know what to do in this situation, because the moment I throw out anything I'm going to eat a full super attack.

My follow up thought was: I have no idea what to do about this other than to...mind game them really close up into flinching themselves?

Not really sure if there is much you can do. It's very easy to get caught by supers in this game.

mohuerta

Just done playing with my nephews a while ago. Played versus 3p + lv2 com, no items, 1 punch ko. Used random characters at first then all chose same characters with same colors to add to the chaos. Quite fun even though I earned no points for arms unlocks during that session.

PKrockin

After hearing about the game being light on single player content, I was a bit surprised at the number of modes the game had. It was more than I expected. But the very first time I played GP it already started feeling repetitive halfway through and I got kind of bored. On the casual level around rank 4, all the characters feel pretty similar to me. I don't think hoops and volleyball are very good, either. After playing about 6 hours of the game my impression is that I probably should have waited until it got cheaper.

I swear it's like half of GAF has never bought a fighting game before.
It surprises you to learn Switch owners tend not to have played many fighting games recently?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

In that scenario, I'm not sure if you meant to imply you did or not here, but your priority should become getting your own Rush filled. So keep your distance, throw out safe punches (from far enough away that if she tries to Rush from that distance, it will be dodgeable). Once you both have yours it changes the psychology of the fight a bit since you can punish any mistake as well.

edit: Depending on the specific Rush type matchup, you may also be able activate your Rush after she activates hers and interrupt it- just depends.

This is advanced play, but at this point you should go for more grabs than you would have without your Rush. If they interrupt your grab with a punch, Rush immediately (before you get hit with the punch, and you'll get the punish. If they interrupt your grab with a grab, they know what they're doing- both of you should block immediately as soon as your arms retract in case the other tries to punish with a Rush. Dance like this and you may find either a grab connects, you can punish the punch interrupt, or they fire off their Rush while you are guarding- any of which would give you the upper hand. But this all takes a ton of reflex as I'm sure you can imagine.

LordKano

I just noticed that when you grab with Min Min, it charges your left arm. I always charged it manually before.
I like the animations so much in this game, and all the little details, like that little dragon when you throw someone.

Or here, with the noodles hair floating (btw, is it possible to completely remove the HUD ? I could take so many screenshots if it was possible)
Yes, she died.

jts

...hate me...
Mario Kart / ARMS team are animation gods.

Too bad we don't even have a save replay option, like god damn.

Yah I love the Easy Allies guys but was real bummed out by the discussion on the latest Frame Trapped. I can easily get if someone doesn't see the same value I do, but some of the pokes and the really off-the-wall assessments of value (20$ new) really, really threw me for a loop. Especially knocking the extra, non-1v1 modes. Maybe I'm CRAZY, but my main enjoyment of the game has been Party Mode and just chilling out in a lobby and doing all kinds of different matches. I like pretty much all of them, but one that I especially LOVE that seems really reviled everywhere is 1v1v1. To me, it's such a mind game! I'll switch targets when one target is getting too attached and then they'll switch too and I'll refocus on the other guy with the goal of getting both down to minimal health before being knocked out. The anecdotes that express the 2v1 gang-up while one dude hovers in the corner hasn't been my experience at all since the Test Punch. It's felt a lot more like a FFA match in an Aki wrestling game TBH. Of the mini-games, the only one I haven't completely "gotten" yet has been Targets. Vball and Basketball are tons of fun and I see new strats all the time.

Lucent

I really need tips on the target mini game in grand prix. I'm on level 4 and playing as ribbon girl against mechanics. Even if I hit more targets she surpasses me fast and seems to get a ton of points hitting me. But I get very little off her. Ribbon Girl's default set suck for this and I feel like I'm gonna have to pass on her.

Edit: ok I guess her hits get more because she's chaining. Still rough though because all but the poppers are pretty much straight.

atr0cious

I really need tips on the target mini game in grand prix. I'm on level 4 and playing as ribbon girl against mechanics. Even if I hit more targets she surpasses me fast and seems to get a ton of points hitting me. But I get very little off her. Ribbon Girl's default set suck for this and I feel like I'm gonna have to pass on her.
Just spent a day dealing with this as Helix. Use an arm with multiple horizontal hits, she will eat you up other wise.
It surprises you to learn Switch owners tend not to have played many fighting games recently?
Recently has nothing to do with it. Besides NRS industry leading single player modes, ARMS has just about everything you could ask for of a fighter(especially a new ip) and more. That folks think learning the base mechanics isn't enough, is down to them and their personal drive for improvement not any value proposition the game has.

Majine

Banned
Are there no penalties for disconnecting? I've been noticing far too many opponents just tapping out coincidentally when things look bad for them.

No Love

Banned
Parasol sounds like a good strategy for light tower helix, alongside whammer and megaton maybe?

The Helix I played equipped strictly fire gloves and just wailed in tower mode, and I had zero answers for it with my current arm loadout. It also probably didn't help matters that we were playing on Mechanica's stage, and the Helix rushed to the high ground each round.

I was playing as ribbon girl, and my slapamenders could not connect, leaving my only strategy to weave and dodge my way inside to try and get a hit with my popper. I just couldn't do it successfully enough to do major damage.

And double Hydra cobra... Oh boy that is a frustrating play-style to go against. I tried strictly slapamenders (high curve like you said), which worked well until one didn't connect, which leaves you wide open for a 1-2 punch. I lost 2-1, and I am pretty much at a lost of how to approach that style going froward. The Tribolts ground Ribbon-Girl, taking away the advantage she has in the air. Maybe Twintelle would have some better luck with witch time?

I use double Hydra Kid Cobra and it is a really effective playstyle. But Twintelles always give me huge problems with their time stops. Really, really hard to beat a good Twintelle using that technique.

Top Bottom