• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS |OT| (’-‘)-------------

DJKhaled

How's everyone playing this? Are most people using motion control or normal? I hate motion control but I got a switch today and want to buy this. Also if I use normal controls can you play two player with one joy-con each?

How's everyone playing this? Are most people using motion control or normal? I hate motion control but I got a switch today and want to buy this. Also if I use normal controls can you play two player with one joy-con each?

Im better with the pro controller, but enjoy motion controls on this game as well. Yes normal controls support single joycons. Not sure if you can play with normal controls with 2 joycons on tv. I think only 1 con, pro, or handheld.

Beat level 7 GP with Ribbon Girl. 🙂 fair and square, too. It was great.
I'm almost done with GP 5 for all characters then I'm going to tackle some GP 7's and see how I do. *fingers crossed*

I actually like the motion controls but I play mostly in portable mode so individual curving one at a time it is. But I can maneuver much better. Pros and Cons, and all that..

What's the quickest way to unlock the rest of the arms? Seems like hours of grinding Grand Prix and party mode nets like a small handful of tries at unlock game

Also I'm assuming it's best to use the longest timer?

NimbusD

is anyone actually getting good at higher levels of ranked or gp with motion controls? I just cant believe punches register quick enough to knock down opponents punches or break quick holds.

Ogodei

What's the quickest way to unlock the rest of the arms? Seems like hours of grinding Grand Prix and party mode nets like a small handful of tries at unlock game

Also I'm assuming it's best to use the longest timer?

What i've heard from people is 2 on 2 V-ball vs lvl 7 Helix (with Guardians on each arm), with Min-Min on your side.

Beat GP4 with Twintelle. Just like with Master Mummy, Ninjara and Mechanica were the two to give me trouble.

Starting to get a grip on Ninjara's rhythm, though.

You understand that those two games you listed are remakes of existing games, right?

Oh come off it. Everything in Ratchet and Clank is new, even down to the games dialogue and music. It's rebuilt from the ground up, it even removes levels, and adds completely new ones, it's a reimagining more so than it is a remake. Either way, as if it being a remake somehow diminishes its value. What about Sly Cooper 4? Uncharted: The Lost Legacy? Lawbreakers? Budget games with more content than Arms.

There's no other fighting game that has a similar amount of content to Arms, even SFV, which was absolutely blasted for its lack of content, including characters and story mode. has far more content than Arms.

Oh come off it. Everything in Ratchet and Clank is new, even down to the games dialogue and music. It's rebuilt from the ground up, it even removes levels, and adds completely new ones, it's a reimagining more so than it is a remake. Either way, as if it being a remake somehow diminishes its value. What about Sly Cooper 4? Uncharted: The Lost Legacy? Lawbreakers? Budget games with more content than Arms.

ARMS is clearly not a budget game, though, which is why it's priced the way it is.

And as for the bolded, yes, remakes are inherently valued less. The Crash Bandicoot remake trilogy is worth $40 despite containing complete overhauls of 3 whole games. Even remakes of Nintendo games, like Wind Waker HD, are priced below other new games.

There's no other fighting game that has a similar amount of content to Arms, even SFV, which was absolutely blasted for its lack of content, including characters and story mode. has far more content than Arms.

The difference between ARMS and other fighting games is that all future DLC will be free.

This is very similar to how Splatoon started out, and look how much content it has now.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
is anyone actually getting good at higher levels of ranked or gp with motion controls? I just cant believe punches register quick enough to knock down opponents punches or break quick holds.
What counts as higher levels? :p

I have done GP5 and and rank, have never played a match without motion controls.

RRockman

Banned

The point here is that all of those games you mentioned are established franchises. ARMS is a brand spanking new IP. SF V was blasted because it is a new barebones mainline entry in a series with meaty sequels. SF did NOT start as big as later entries in the series. You are also comparing apples to oranges with Ratchet and Clank as that game has an entirely different focus than a fighter. Sticking on that is not helping your point at all. It would be more fair to compare ARMS to other fighters first entries rather than their latest ones period.

Lucent

Just spent a day dealing with this as Helix. Use an arm with multiple horizontal hits, she will eat you up other wise.
Recently has nothing to do with it. Besides NRS industry leading single player modes, ARMS has just about everything you could ask for of a fighter(especially a new ip) and more. That folks think learning the base mechanics isn't enough, is down to them and their personal drive for improvement not any value proposition the game has.

Yeah. Gonna see if I can get lucky and get some new arms that cover more targets before I attempt again.

Crom

Is there a way to play Party mode locally (split screen)?

I feel like there should be and I'm missing something obvious

Neoxon

The voice actors for the ARMS characters (so far) have been revealed.

DDd0UFvUMAASJPq.jpg

Peter Von Gomm & Dominic Allen both reside in Japan, so it looks like NoA didn't do any localizing on the voice acting front (which would explain why Biff doesn't have his English voice from the Nintendo Directs).

The point here is that all of those games you mentioned are established franchises. ARMS is a brand spanking new IP. SF V was blasted because it is a new barebones mainline entry in a series with meaty sequels. SF did NOT start as big as later entries in the series. You are also comparing apples to oranges with Ratchet and Clank as that game has an entirely different focus than a fighter. Sticking on that is not helping your point at all. It would be more fair to compare ARMS to other fighters first entries rather than their latest ones period.

Being a first time entry in a series doesn't mean your entry should be weak, or low on content. Being a new IP doesn't magically mean the competition doesn't exist, it's perfectly reasonable to expect a new IP to match the content of existing franchises it intends to compete with.

I compared it to Ratchet and others as those are examples of budget games with triple A production values with far more content than ARMS. Every other $60 fighter also has, far more content than ARMS. What do you want me to say? If you think it's good value for you then that's fine, but it's easy to see why people are thinking it isn't worth $60 proportionate to the other fighters on the market. If Capcom released a new fighting game with 10 characters and no story mode, they would be laughed at by the FGC, all over again. Arms gets a pass from most of you and I suspect that's in large part due to the difference in expectations between Nintendo fans and the rest of the FGC. How many people who play ARMs actually play many other fighting games and therefore, have that value comparison in mind? Most of the people that I know that picked up the game, do not play other fighters. But I feel that those that do, are likely to have a different view of Arms' value and content.

The difference between ARMS and other fighting games is that all future DLC will be free.

This is very similar to how Splatoon started out, and look how much content it has now.

This is a weak argument. There's an absolute incentive for the developers to support their game and franchise post launch, regardless of the price. Consumers shouldn't have to wait a year to see the games value match it's £50 price.

Lawbreakers is £30, with maps and heroes coming to the game for free. Launched at a reasonable price to reflect the fact that it lacks singleplayer content.

I've given you guys a myriad of examples, but at the end of the day it's based on your expectation. I feel that other fighting games I buy at £60 offer much more content and therefore, ARMS doesn't represent good value at £50, relative to those other fighting games, for me. If you're sold on other aspects, like the character designs, appeal of the gameplay etc. then I get it, but for me value is the result the amount of content + how fun it is to play and for me, Arms decent enough to play but the lack of content means it doesn't stack up well against other fighters. I bought ARMS, Guilty Gear Xrd Rev 2, Tekken 7 and Injustice 2 within the same 6 week period and for me, ARMS represents the lowest value, but one of the highest prices.

I can't believe how much I'm enjoying playing Master Mummy. He's one of the characters I just didn't touch for a while because why would I pick anyone other than the maximum cuties Minmin & Helix? But not only is Mummy super fun to play as, using him is finally getting me to actually punch throws and attacks thanks to him not being able to dodge too well and it feels SO good

Being a first time entry in a series doesn't mean your entry should be weak, or low on content. Being a new IP doesn't magically mean the competition doesn't exist, it's perfectly reasonable to expect a new IP to match the content of existing franchises it intends to computer with.

I compared it to Ratchet and others as those are examples of budget games with triple A production values with far more content than ARMS. Every other $60 fighter also has, far more content than ARMS. What do you want me to say? If you think it's good value for you then that's fine, but it's easy to see why people are thinking it isn't worth $60 proportionate to the other fighters on the market. If Capcom released a new fighting game with 10 characters and no story mode, they would be laughed at by the FGC, all over again. Arms gets a pass from most of you and I suspect that's in large part due to the difference in expectations between Nintendo fans and the rest of the FGC. How many people who play ARMs actually play many other fighting games and therefore, have that value comparison in mind? Most of the people that I know that picked up the game, do not play other fighters. But I feel that those that do, are likely to have a different view of Arms' value and content.

This is a weak argument. There's an absolute incentive for the developers to support their game and franchise post launch, regardless of the price. Consumers shouldn't have to wait a year to see the games value match it's £50 price.

Lawbreakers is £30, with maps and heroes coming to the game for free. Launched at a reasonable price to reflect the fact that it lacks singleplayer content.

I've given you guys a myriad of examples, but at the end of the day it's based on your expectation. I feel that other fighting games I buy at £60 offer much more content and therefore, ARMS doesn't represent good value at £50, relative to those other fighting games, for me. If you're sold on other aspects, like the character designs, appeal of the gameplay etc. then I get it, but for me value is the result the amount of content + how fun it is to play and for me, Arms decent enough to play but the lack of content means it doesn't stack up well against other fighters. I bought ARMS, Guilty Gear Xrd Rev 2, Tekken 7 and Injustice 2 within the same 6 week period and for me, ARMS represents the lowest value, but one of the highest prices.

My dude like you said price is subjective. However, get its only Nintendo fans mentality out of here. You are one who brought up that Ratchet and Crash have a higher budget than ARMS which is ignorant because the latter two are the same games just enhanced nothing much new about them. I don't know what kind of replies you expected lol.

Also I've been playing fighting games for a long time but at a certain point as I have gotten older the games have just gotten too overly complicated with their inputs. I just don't have time to go back to them and learn them since I don't have much time anymore. ARMS for me is a nice change of pace and as for free dlc I trust Nintendo because past dlc like Splatoon and Mario Kart shows they are good with it. Unlike Capcom who loves abusing it which is why I stopped buying street fighter.

NimbusD

I have to say, I'm real disappointed with the local wireless and online friends options.

I played with two other people on 2 switches total last night, and it only let's you do party, not arena mode. And then in party mode, the two people on one switch only ever get to alternate as one 'team'. You never get to fight each other or fight in a 3 way match. It makes no sense and is just stupid. You can do this when you're playing in online lobbies, but you cant do it just when you're in a room with someone.

Ok so then you'd think playing online mode might be different, but with a friends lobby, nope same thing. God forbid they let you form a party with online friends and then head into a public lobby with other people where for whatever reason the full version of the party lobbys exist exclusively.

Between this and Mario kart, this team really needs to figure out how to have parity across different online and wireless modes. It's also real stupid to lock Lan play behind a cheat code. I have to look it up every time because they bury the option behind a random button combo you have to memorize.

jts

...hate me...
I don't know if I'm particularly more salty of defeats vs Ribbon Girl but I hate her winning celebrations :p

Is there a list somewhere? I want to find out what some of them are saying.

My dude like you said price is subjective. However, get its only Nintendo fans mentality out of here. You are one who brought up that Ratchet and Crash have a higher budget than ARMS which is ignorant because the latter two are the same games just enhanced nothing much new about them. I don't know what kind of replies you expected lol.

Also I've been playing fighting games for a long time but at a certain point as I have gotten older the games have just gotten too overly complicated with their inputs. I just don't have time to go back to them and learn them since I don't have much time anymore. ARMS for me is a nice change of pace and as for free dlc I trust Nintendo because past dlc like Splatoon and Mario Kart shows they are good with it. Unlike Capcom who loves abusing it which is why I stopped buying street fighter.

What? Your acting like I was offended or something. I just iterated my thoughts on the games value. I used examples both of higher value fighting games, and lower value games from other genres, to support my view. You don't agree? That's fine, but cut out the nonsense. Something like injustice 2 has more content in the base game than ARMS will likely ever have - you prefer ARMS because it's simpler, which is a perfectly valid reason to prefer the game, but without that gameplay disposition you can't pretend the package represents better value.

If you think other fighting games have gotten too complicated then that's a reason to see value in a simpler game, for you. But I do not think other fighting games are too complicated and therefore, I see more value in fighting games with larger rosters, more moves, more content - and for me, that difference in value is enough to feel that something like ARMs, is only worth $30 or less. I don't see why that's difficult to understand.

Also, if you think there's 'nothing much new' about the Ratchet and Clank Remake, then you clearly haven't played the Ratchet and Clank remake. It's a reimagining of the original game. New dialogue, new level designs, new cutscenes, new character designs, new weapons, in some cases entirely new levels.

Except that's been the norm for almost every fighting game franchise that's new to the market.

2010: Blazblue releases with 12 characters and a full story mode
2012: SFxTekken releases with a whopping 38 characters
2013: Injustice Gods Among Us releases with 24 characters and a full cinematic story mode

Nintendo's games don't exist within a vacuum, you be ignorant to other fighting games, including new IPs that boast considerably more content. I'm not saying you're wrong to like it, but let's not pretend it's not short on content, at least relatively speaking. I don't know what games you're comparing to, but let's stick to the 21st century. Where fighting games do release with more than 10 characters.

Moondrop

Banned
Hotter take: story modes in fighting games are lame.

The ten consecutive "Thanks for Playing!" screenshots I've earned in my Switch photo album represent more rewarding content than all the prerendered cutscenes in existence.

What? Your acting like I was offended or something. I just iterated my thoughts on the games value. I used examples both of higher value fighting games, and lower value games from other genres, to support my view. You don't agree? That's fine, but cut out the nonsense. Something like injustice 2 has more content in the base game than ARMS will likely ever have - you prefer ARMS because it's simpler, which is a perfectly valid reason to prefer the game, but without that gameplay disposition you can't pretend the package represents better value.

If you think other fighting games have gotten too complicated then that's a reason to see value in a simpler game, for you. But I do not think other fighting games are too complicated and therefore, I see more value in fighting games with larger rosters, more moves, more content - and for me, that difference in value is enough to feel that something like ARMs, is only worth $30 or less. I don't see why that's difficult to understand.

Also, if you think there's 'nothing much new' about the Ratchet and Clank Remake, then you clearly haven't played the Ratchet and Clank remake. It's a reimagining of the original game. New dialogue, new level designs, new cutscenes, new character designs, new weapons, in some cases entirely new levels.

2013: Injustice Gods Among Us releases with 24 characters and a full cinematic story mode

Nintendo's games don't exist within a vacuum, you be ignorant to other fighting games, including new IPs that boast considerably more content. I'm not saying you're wrong to like it, but let's not pretend it's not short on content, at least relatively speaking. I don't know what games you're comparing to, but let's stick to the 21st century. Where fighting games do release with more than 10 characters.

First of all, I said almost, not all. I can easily point to games like Street Fighter One.

Second of all, SFxTekken is a crossover of two fighting franchises that have been well established for years.

I'm having trouble in Grand Prix with Master Mummy and Mechanica... so the slow characters.. They seem very underwhelming and situational. Is there a winning combination of arms for Mechanica specifically? What am I doing wrong, slow character pros?

Neoxon

First of all, I said almost, not all. I can easily point to games like Street Fighter One.

Second of all, SFxTekken is a crossover of two fighting franchises that have been well established for years.
On top of that, the SF side is almost entirely comprised of reused SFIV assets (Poison, Hugo, Rolento, & Elena aside).

Ogodei

You have to think of this game like Splatoon, a no-frills experience which explains the minimal voice acting and lack of cutscene content (intro videos and championship videos would definitely be cool). It's their way of minimizing risk.

The ten consecutive "Thanks for Playing!" screenshots I've earned in my Switch photo album represent more rewarding content than all the prerendered cutscenes in existence.

But don't you want to know why Springman murdered Byte's fellow police officer, the original owner of Byte?

Don't you want to learn about the demons that gave Ribbon Girl her quadruple jumps?

Where is Min Min's broth?!

RRockman

Banned
But don't you want to know why Springman murdered Byte's fellow police officer, the original owner of Byte?

Don't you want to learn about the demons that gave Ribbon Girl her quadruple jumps?

Where is Min Min's broth?!

One thing I admit I'm really curious about, Minmin loves Ramen right? Do you think she has considered taking a small bite out of her ARMS? I mean If it was me and my arms turned into some thing delicious like chocolate I would seriously consider it.

LegendX48

eh, they're fun though. Tekken 7's (for example) was great.

One thing I admit I'm really curious about, Minmin loves Ramen right? Do you think she has considered taking a small bite out of her ARMS? I mean If it was me and my arms turned into some thing delicious like chocolate I would seriously consider it.

but then...

Billyyummy_9669.jpg

atr0cious

You put way too much weight into story mode for a fighter, especially when SFVs main issue was a missing arcade mode. I went back and checked those games you listed, and they all have just about the same amount of modes of gameplay available as ARMS, except all those games are iterative built off their previous franchises so their modes are mostly just taking from the old and polishing, where as ARMS is brand new with a new style of play (motion instead of input). This means that while those games mainly focus on just throwing stuff at you to fight(not a bad thing), a chunk of ARMS modes are tailored to get the relatively inexperienced Nintendo base ready for the more competitive side of the game. So skillshot teaches horizontal movement, vball focused on how to handle aerial opponents, hoops is about grabbing management, and 1 on 100 is for the eventual 2v1 situations. So though their worth is subjective, it's not void.
I like a cool lore filled story, but it is superfluous in the grand scheme of actual gameplay, especially when half the time, it's just boring single round bouts that some times force you to use characters that are more fun to look at than play.

This is correct. Give me a character-specific introductory screen and a completion screen and I'm set.

In place of cutscenes, though, a so-called story mode for single-player would have the freedom to introduce more asymmetric encounters like Hedlok, designed with no regard for balance. That would have been fun, and would be the kind of content I'd have in mind for differentiating the single-player experience while designing it to draw on the same skill set as what you'd apply in Versus.

I don't miss SSBB's Subspace Emissary at all. The crossover cutscenes are maybe fun once but everything about playing it was such a floaty, oft-interrupted slog.

More characters/arms/stages for Arms are the best route forward for content, and that's fortunately what we're getting. I don't feel short on modes at all, but I could see myself tiring of the current range of setups.

Hedlok is some bullshit.

All I want to do is play some fucking ranked.

When he tries to buff up try hitting him with a charged punch. That's his weakness. Continue dodging and looking for that weakness it will help a lot.

The dude was frustrating but once I understood how to beat him it felt so satisfying.

When he tries to buff up try hitting him with a charged punch. That's his weakness. Continue dodging and looking for that weakness it will help a lot.

The dude was frustrating but once I understood how to beat him it felt so satisfying.
Yah I just figured him out more or less and beat him. Tough at first though.

SummitAve

Banned

Motion. I find it more enjoyable especially when playing with my gf in 2p party mode. Maybe I would change if you could customize controls, but I've already gotten used to the motion controls and have been having lots of fun. Haven't had any issues competing either but I only play party. My gf does pretty good just flailing around.

TeegsD

Cant wait to play some more tonight after being away for almost a week. Sad to see the thread dying down, had to come to the third page to find it! When is the switch to Community?

MDave

Cant wait to play some more tonight after being away for almost a week. Sad to see the thread dying down, had to come to the third page to find it! When is the switch to Community?

It feels like this game may not have the legs, but it certainly does have the ARMS.

It will probably get resurgences every now and then with the free DLC to push it along, but it will be mostly down to the players to keep playing it and making noise about it on youtube, twitch etc.

I think it changes over to the community section after the thread has been here for a month.

Top Bottom