• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS |OT| (’-‘)-------------

LordKano

Stick with the spring, man. His charge barrier is fantastic when you learn to bait grabs and I can't tell you how many comebacks I've made when entering perma charge and keeping my cool. Definitely one of my favorite "basic/starter characters" next to Ky Kiske and Ken. Have you tried using an automatic type arm on your non dominant hand and a direct type in your dominant hand?

I haven't unlocked many arms yet, I'll focus on that for now.

It kind of rubbed me in the wrong way when Ben said this game should cost 20 dollars lol.

Like I get it lacks a robust single player but 20 dollars c'mon lol.

$30 or lower seems like a fair price to me, $20 would probably be what I felt was a good price. It's not just a singleplayer content that's lacking, but characters and unique qualities between them. In something like Street Fighter I can spend a week learning an individual character, but here, 90% of the mechanics are universal, and the core gameplay isn't all that in-depth either.

There's plenty of room to keep playing to get better at the game, but it didn't take long before I felt that I stopped discovering things. That's dull and contributes to my low perception of value.

$30 or lower seems like a fair price to me, $20 would probably be what I felt was a good price. It's not just a singleplayer content that's lacking, but characters and unique qualities between them. In something like Street Fighter I can spend a week learning an individual character, but here, 90% of the mechanics are universal, and the core gameplay isn't all that in-depth either.

There's plenty of room to keep playing to get better at the game, but it didn't take long before I felt that I stopped discovering things. That's dull and contributes to my low perception of value.

There's no way this game should be $30 yet $20. I can see $40 but 20 dollars is just ridiculous and basically asking for the game to be free.

This is a new IP that just started out and its getting free content down the line. Maybe you don't want to invest in the game but this game is worth more than 20 dollars. Also I don't get the street fighter comparison when that game has had a bunch of predecessors to fall back on yet it couldn't even provide a arcade mode and had a broken online component.

I use to love fighting games, but as I got older I just kind of got tired of memorizing long button combos which shows since Street Fighter has been on the decline from a mainstream standpoint. This game is a nice change of pace that doesn't need long complicated button combos to be deep.

But whatever fits your boat because this definitely was worth the 60 dollars I paid for it. It reminds me of virtual On which is why I find it really enjoyable.

backlot

I like vball better than hoops. Hoops is a "who missed the grab, the next guy scores" mode. Which leads to these uncomfortable standoffs of not trying to grab for too long.

The best way I've found to play hoops is to just trade punches until rush is charged. After that you can start throwing grabs and rush cancel if you end up in a bad position. Landing a rush attack scores points in Hoops too so you might not even need to grab at all

There's no way that a game with such high production values should be worth $30. The lack of single-player content is a fair point, but that shouldn't by itself cut the price in half.

maxmars

I use to love fighting games, but as I got older I just kind of got tired of memorizing long button combos which shows since Street Fighter has been on the decline from a mainstream standpoint. This game is a nice change of pace that doesn't need long complicated button combos to be deep.

Same here. It's not that I can't memorize stuff, it's that I don't have the time to train every day so it's inevitable to forget stuff. ARMS is great right because everything is in plain sight, the only thing missing is your strategy. Easily my favorite fighter so far.

Nightii

Banned
Contrary to what GAF would like to tell you, the definition of what makes a game worth full price due to "content" is not set in stone by the typical AAA game, dismissing the work, effort and time put into making a multiplayer focused game kind of sucks ass and just serves for people on the internet to belittle the types of games that simply aren't for them.

I use to love fighting games, but as I got older I just kind of got tired of memorizing long button combos which shows since Street Fighter has been on the decline from a mainstream standpoint...

That is not how you learn fighting games, though...

Learning long combos is like at the bottom of the list when it comes to learning and getting good at fighting games. It's a very common misconception unfortunately. You can be a great player without any long ass combos.

Raysoul

Learning long combos is like at the bottom of the list when it comes to learning and getting good at fighting games. It's a very common misconception unfortunately. You can be a great player without any long ass combos.

It gives you a huge advantage though. If you need ten strong attacks to defeat an opponent, they can whoop you within 2-3 long combos (Depending on the game ofc). Imagine if Arms has combos. A single mistake and half of your life are gone without any rush attack included.

lets be real here, that very much depends on the game. You arent playing Blazblue well without good long combos with proper Oki enders or corner carry.

Fulluphigh

Neo Member
Am I a bad person for taking revenge on people in party lobbies who piss me off in three way matches when I'm teamed up with them in 2v2 or Hedlok fights?

When somebody refuses to team up against the guy with the huge streak, or just refuses to fight the other player at all, even though they're clearly not gonna manage to beat me alone, let alone then take down the other guy, I stick around till we're teamed up, and then get behind them and just try to make their fight as miserable as possible.

I haven't payed enough attention to whether hitting your teammates actually damages them, but it definitely staggers them, especially when I'm hitting them over and over with electricity.

It's especially satisfying in a hedlok match, when they've really pissed me off, and I just stop them from being able to do anything, until hedlok kills them and the other guy (sorry other player =x), and then I just stand there and let myself get KO'd, to make it as obvious as possible what I was trying to do.

Minor, petty satisfaction, but it feels so good.

bumpkin

Am I a bad person for taking revenge on people in party lobbies who piss me off in three way matches when I'm teamed up with them in 2v2 or Hedlok fights?

When somebody refuses to team up against the guy with the huge streak, or just refuses to fight the other player at all, even though they're clearly not gonna manage to beat me alone, let alone then take down the other guy, I stick around till we're teamed up, and then get behind them and just try to make their fight as miserable as possible.

I haven't payed enough attention to whether hitting your teammates actually damages them, but it definitely staggers them, especially when I'm hitting them over and over with electricity.

It's especially satisfying in a hedlok match, when they've really pissed me off, and I just stop them from being able to do anything, until hedlok kills them and the other guy (sorry other player =x), and then I just stand there and let myself get KO'd, to make it as obvious as possible what I was trying to do.

I normally don't do it against Hedlok because he's such a pain to beat, but I've held grudges a few times when I lost to someone in a match and then was in a three or four-way fight against them immediately afterwards. I usually try to spread the pain around though, as not to make it so me and one player are beating the shit out of each other while the third lies in wait to swoop in like a vulture.

Contrary to what GAF would like to tell you, the definition of what makes a game worth full price due to "content" is not set in stone by the typical AAA game, dismissing the work, effort and time put into making a multiplayer focused game kind of sucks ass and just serves for people on the internet to belittle the types of games that simply aren't for them.

That is not how you learn fighting games, though...

I mean it still gives you a advantage.

Just posting a link for the new page - Tips, Tricks and Info good for new players and people looking for help deciding on their loadout.

The guide is looking good!

Within the next 2 dlc packs in July and August, you'll have to rework more of this. I hope you folks are enjoying your research!

I'm pretty sure with Brass, we're getting a new hammer.

Pure speculation, but I'm guessing a future character will have other "ball" arms, like the blorbs.

Thanks for your work!

EDIT: One question though: What's up with the speed stats for the poppers and crackers?

EDIT2: Is the Ram Ram Stun? I thought it was fire? Also, you forgot a "/" in Master Mummy's photo tags.

Within the next 2 dlc packs in July and August, you'll have to rework more of this. I hope you folks are enjoying your research!

Pure speculation, but I'm guessing a future character will have other "ball" arms, like the blorbs.

Thanks for your work!

EDIT: One question though: What's up with the speed stats for the poppers and crackers?

EDIT2: Is the Ram Ram Stun? I thought it was fire? Also, you forgot a "/" in Master Mummy's photo tags.

What do you mean? Crackers are slightly slower and because of my experience the popper and variants were difficult to completely test since I know their frame data and max MPPM but base MPPM was hard to get.

Ram Ram is indeed fire, Chakram is stun.

Peltz

This game is so good, seriously. And I'm loving my Kid Cobra so much, that dirty little creep.

Too bad the online is downright abysmal on the Switch, mainly due to the obtuse limitations of the system: you can't send messages, you can't send invites, you can't congratulate someone for a good match you can't chat... absolutely fucking nothing.

For now... yea. We have to way until 2018... which sucks.

Chauzu

Nice of you guys to ignore the "20$ seems right" ARMS post, I'd totally jumped on that :p nice to keep the thread on topic.

Not played ARMS yet todaym been a bit burnt on ranked, but I'll do some party later to move my body a bit.

Nice of you guys to ignore the "20$ seems right" ARMS post, I'd totally jumped on that :p nice to keep the thread on topic.

Not played ARMS yet todaym been a bit burnt on ranked, but I'll do some party later to move my body a bit.

I should of ignored it as well but when people say this kind of stuff especially on GAF without knowing the time spent on a game rubs me in the wrong way.

Knowing that this game is a passion project to only see people say it should cost 20 dollars is kind of sad.

Edit: Will play some more ARMS when I get back home.

tvpivva

Neo Member

Dude same! with the exception of the 2v2 i tend to let it be if i'm matched up with them but those 3 way fights hell no bhahaha

bonesquad

Not so much for those modes, but certainly for 3 player free-for-all. I usually pick out one opponent to take down. Be it because they have 70 points, are playing as Ribbon Girl, or maybe they just beat me in 1v1. Whatever the reason, they must go down. Once they do I might win against the remaining player. Or I might not. Who cares. I accomplished my goal.

I'm still not sure what to make of this game. On one hand the core game seems good and Party Match is tons of fun. There is just so much I hate too. I hate I can't customize controls, the forced progression system of coins/arm grabber, the short timer, hoops, snake park, and how Party Match constantly wants me to play hoops and snake park. Maybe I need to read that guide again so I'm good enough to play Ranked and not deal with these shenanigans (well, the only issue that fixes is the lack of hoops, but man do I hate hoops:)

Been playing steadily, going in and out of Lobbies, Ranked Play, and Grand Prix. Have to say- a great game that I hope will be supported well in the future. I would like to see more imaginative single player game-play personally but some more modes and stages would be welcome.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
lets be real here, that very much depends on the game. You arent playing Blazblue well without good long combos with proper Oki enders or corner carry.
Funny, I was gonna bring up Blazblue haha...

But for me it's not really memorizing long combos- i.e. memorizing a bunch of inputs in a row for one character- but rather memorizing the long list of unique inputs per character that can be really daunting. I love fighting games and I don't think those will ever go away nor would I want them to, but I love to see true innovation and especially approaches that simplify the initial path to competency for new players while still offering some depth at high levels- I love Smash for precisely the same reasons.

In this, once you understand a character's gimmick and strengths, there are no more inputs to memorize. It then becomes, "Hmm, what kind of build would really play to my advantage here?" And then when you select those Arms, "hmmm, but this leaves me open to this counter... how should I spend my third slot? Or maybe I could double up on one Arm, use the second for a counter-counterpick and have the third slot for something more versatile..." It's great tbh

I love this shit and confess to being something of a lunatic.

So far as I can tell, I think we are getting from Brass:

Nade: A Glove with Explosive
Blammer: A Hammer with Explosive
???: A Glove with a new element (the purple)

Not knowing what the purple glove/element does, I would not be at surprised if it was found to be a useful counter to some of the most popular current loadouts in some way.

I hope so, Blorb is kinda growing on me since I learned from Gore about how it affects grabs.
Thanks for your work!

Thanks for reading!

I fixed the Ramram element and mummy image.. Really appreciate the catches!

Crackers are slightly slower than poppers when spammed. Poppers can REALL Y go nuts with the MPPM.

Glix

Hawk and Gore, thanks so much for all the hard work guys. I have been following the thread, but still, reading your guides helped A LOT. Especially the one about each type of Arm.

I changed up my loadout last night, I'm a Sanke main and was rocking Seekie, Hydra, and Ice Boomerang.

I switched to Ramram, Bubb, Hydra last night and was destroying people (I'm rank 7). I went like 6-1 and then had to stop playing.

The fights are GREAT. I will be playing this game for a long time

I mean, you are kinda being an ass :p

The bolded in particular, though, just ain't right. I never pick one player to die first, I don't care how big his streak is. It's just that it's a free for all and I'm gonna do whatever I feel is in my best interest.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Hawk and Gore, thanks so much for all the hard work guys. I have been following the thread, but still, reading your guides helped A LOT. Especially the one about each type of Arm.
Really apprecaite the kind words.

Once you get the handle on the basics of the game that post is definitely a good place to go. You start thinking strategically in terms of roles for Arms, i.e.: I want to use this slot in case of this matchup, this slot in case of anti-air, this one for a fallback if I can't play aggressive; then you go into the arms within each type to see what suits you the best.

I changed up my loadout last night, I'm a Sanke main and was rocking Seekie, Hydra, and Ice Boomerang.

I switched to Ramram, Bubb, Hydra last night and was destroying people (I'm rank 7). I went like 6-1 and then had to stop playing.

The fights are GREAT. I will be playing this game for a long time
Nice. Cobra with Bubbs or Hydras is straight nasty for sure.

Personally, I can't figure out a good use for Coolerang. Would love to hear from anyone who has about technique. At the moment I think it's the one Arm I would put in a request to have buffed.

Doorman

So far as I can tell, I think we are getting from Brass:

Nade: A Glove with Explosive
Blammer: A Hammer with Explosive
???: A Glove with a new element (the purple)

Not knowing what the purple glove/element does, I would not be at surprised if it was found to be a useful counter to some of the most popular current loadouts in some way.
For what it's worth, this was addressed in a tweet drom the Japanese Twitter account several days to a week-ish ago. They referred to Brass' third arm as the "Roaster," and were comparing it to Spring Man's Toaster, hence the naming similarity. I'm starting to wonder if the purple flames really are just...purple flames, and not some real new element.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
For what it's worth, this was addressed in a tweet drom the Japanese Twitter account several days to a week-ish ago. They referred to Brass' third arm as the "Roaster," and were comparing it to Spring Man's Toaster, hence the naming similarity. I'm starting to wonder if the purple flames really are just...purple flames, and not some real new element.
Interesting, weird though- Toaster is already a Fire Glove... Maybe it's in the slower Bubb/Buff class but gets bigger in addition to getting Fire when charged?

Doorman

Interesting, weird though- Toaster is already a Fire Glove... Maybe it's in the slower Bubb/Buff class but gets bigger in addition to getting Fire when charged?
I'm not sure, I didn't delve into trying to translate the whole tweet at the time I saw it, but briefly scanning through it, they definitely mention the name in katakana, and directly reference the Toaster in the same tweet. It's possible they explained the difference already, but I don't know for sure. I'm sure a quick look at the twitter posts can clear this up but I'd have to wait until after work to do that.

Ogodei

Hedlok with all hammers is easy as hell until his health gets down into perma-charge mode. Way too slow, it's like the developers forget how much diverse arms helps fighters (which could be nightmarish with a 6-armed headlok with 3 or more different types of arms: he could hard-counter just about anything).

Glix

Really apprecaite the kind words.

Once you get the handle on the basics of the game that post is definitely a good place to go. You start thinking strategically in terms of roles for Arms, i.e.: I want to use this slot in case of this matchup, this slot in case of anti-air, this one for a fallback if I can't play aggressive; then you go into the arms within each type to see what suits you the best.

Nice. Cobra with Bubbs or Hydras is straight nasty for sure.

Personally, I can't figure out a good use for Coolerang. Would love to hear from anyone who has about technique. At the moment I think it's the one Arm I would put in a request to have buffed.

I really dig how its trajectory.... but I've learned that Ramram is just straight better. Its damage output is great. And as Snake Im rarely throwing hands without charge so its drawback doesn't even affect me.

Maybe I'd like coolerang more if I was better at planning my hits and follow ups. But I certainly don't take enough advantage of the freeze at this point, so it's Ramram all the way.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I really dig how its trajectory.... but I've learned that Ramram is just straight better. Its damage output is great. And as Snake Im rarely throwing hands without charge so its drawback doesn't even affect me.

Maybe I'd like coolerang more if I was better at planning my hits and follow ups. But I certainly don't take enough advantage of the freeze at this point, so it's Ramram all the way.
I had the same thoughts mostly. I came away realllllly impressed with Boomerang though. A side hit from the high curve with Wind is legit, especially with a Glove in the other hand. The Juggle Rush confirm is silky smooth.

Nightii

Banned
Until yesterday I was maining Bubb/Coolerang with Spring Man, getting charged hits after parrying through a punch leads to nice setups, especially with Bubb's punch speed, you can easily land quite a few punches in the freeze state before your opponent can do anything.

In general I just find it good at helping halt double Popper users, but it does struggle against other common combinations.

I have now switched to Bubb/Revolver/Ramram, and it has helped me a lot deal with Ribbon Girl, who was my bane until then.

Nightii

Banned
But they can block! (not that I don't panic and forget to do so myself constantly).

Yeah, but most of the time people will try to commit to a movement option first, that is enough time for a Bubb to land.

Against more calm minded people you still get the advantage of options, they are inmobile, so you can beat their defensive punch attempts straight on, rush forward and grab at a range at which they cannot react easily.

It's hardly a top tier or foolproof tool, but limiting your opponent's options will never not be good.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Yeah, but most of the time people will try to commit to a movement option first, that is enough time for a Bubb to land.
Me :(

Good points though. I wonder if one of the Missiles could potentially be paired with it. That's a lot of blocking to remember to do...

Neoxon

Mission Accomplished

DDbxTM5UAAAxf1M

DrDogg

If smaller events will have custom ARMS, then that would likely translate to bigger events having the same thing. It makes little sense for two different metas to co-exist like that.

Smash 4 managed to make custom moves work for a good part of a year (and even had them legal in EVO 2015), and the system for those was far worse than what we get in ARMS. Unlocking everything in ARMS is simply a matter of time, while unlocking custom moves was pure luck.

This is especially true since literally everything you do earns you coins in this game. Extended play sessions will have players earn hundreds of coins at a time. It will take ~30 goes at the ARMS Getter (with a long timer) to unlock everything right now, which translates to ~6000 coins. That's a feasible number to attain for people willing to put in the work to actually go to tournaments for this game.

EDIT: The only thing that gives me pause about having every ARM available are future DLC characters. The number of ARMS one needs to unlock increases linearly* with each new character added (if DLC characters need to unlock theirs the same as everyone else's, along with everyone getting the new ARMS). Max Brass alone will add 123 new ARMS to unlock across all characters. The next character after him would add 135. It may get overwhelming at some point.

*The formula for this is 12(x - 1) + 3 = # of new ARMS to unlock, where x is the number of playable characters.

The main issue with custom Arms at big events is that it's uncommon for TOs to ask players to bring setups to the larger events. Even in the case that they do, it's difficult to run those events making sure all consoles are where they're supposed to be, when they're supposed to be there. It can be done for sure, but most TOs of big events don't bother with that kind of potential headache.

I said we could see them at smaller events because generally speaking community members bring their consoles. I still don't think custom will be the tournament standard though (assuming a tournament scene even sticks). Custom events will likely be special circumstances and not the standard.

I haven't been a TO for several years now (since I worked for IGN), but there's been no indication that I've seen that TOs are willing to put in the work for custom Arms. We'll see though. Maybe the competitive scene will take off and that will change. At this point I'd be surprised to see Arms at Evo next year.

Raysoul

I was playing with ARMS test and tried Blorb on Mechanica. Holy shit the balls are big. Once I unlock this, I would try it on rank and see how many would rage quit because of the annoying ink.

Sami+

Is it though? A new player would likely have a weaker neutral game, but that's something that improves over time. What you do want though is for your punish game to be solid enough that when you do win neutral you don't blow it. Just imo tho

Top Bottom