• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS ver. 3.2 trailer (new character tease!)

Neoxon

Continuing the streak of underwhelming updates I see. Fans are probably real happy with all this stuff, but for me it's too little too late. The game's been out for months, and they add achievements only now? That's such a minor thing I can't believe it wasn't in from the start. And then the new character is just a clone. Whop tee doo.
So you also hated the Lola Pop/button-mapping update? Damn, hard-to-please, much?

Sure, more modes would be nice, but we got one or two of those along the way.

Kyle8497

Hidden camera functionality update:
giphy.gif

Neiteio

The new character looks sweet. Probably Spring Man's Akuma, but he has a ton of new detail in addition to the new color scheme. Not a simple recolor but rather a full-blown robot body. Interested to learn more.

Looks like earning badges also gives you currency, which is great, because the grind for new arms is very, very real.

I love this game.

Yeah, he could be Robo from the datamine, or perhaps Coil (between the two of those, Coil is one of the names still in the most recent data, iirc)

I do wonder which code name he fills. I still believe he's Robo, but I wouldn't be too shocked if his name was "Coil Man" or something similar either. I believe the code name he fills will be more clear when he's closer to launch.

jdstorm

Banned
I don't think 2 million is "poor" at all.

Yep. Seems like the best description would be "Promising"

ARMS hasn't been a breakout hit like Splatoon but its in a really great position. Spend the next few months of support polishing up ARMS 1 and then look at releasing a bigger/better sequel (or an Ultimate/Turbo edition) on a short turnaround thanks to being able to reuse lots of Assets

Harpoon

Yeah, he could be Robo from the datamine, or perhaps Coil (between the two of those, Coil is one of the names still in the most recent data, iirc)

Wasn't there speculation that some of those codenames could be for the same character, in how some persisted into 1.1 while others didn't?

Neiteio

The main shortcoming of ARMS is the progression loop is a bit limited in scope. Mainly just earning money to unlock new arms, or duplicate arms to make existing ones stronger.

The badges might help remedy this by giving you another thing by which to measure progress.

Harpoon

Yep. Seems like the best description would be "Promising"

ARMS hasn't been a breakout hit like Splatoon but its in a really great position. Spend the next few months of support polishing up ARMS 1 and then look at releasing a bigger/better sequel (or an Ultimate/Turbo edition) on a short turnaround thanks to being able to reuse lots of Assets

FYI, I got my wires crossed and it was actually over 1 million sales (last we heard in July, anyway).

Neiteio

Wasn't there speculation that some of those codenames could be for the same character, in how some persisted into 1.1 while others didn't?
There was some speculation to that effect, but it doesn't make much sense why the programmers would change codenames in the middle of development. Why switch from one perfectly succinct and aptly named codename to another. That's why I think it's at least possible that the names refer to separate characters.

Neoxon

I guess with Robo/Metal/Mecha Spring Man being a thing, it pretty much nails down the idea that Spring Man is the main character of ARMS.

The main shortcoming of ARMS is the progression loop is a bit limited in scope. Mainly just earning money to unlock new arms, or duplicate arms to make existing ones stronger.

The badges might help remedy this by giving you another thing by which to measure progress.

A little more window dressing definitely wouldn't hurt.

There was some speculation to that effect, but it doesn't make much sense why the programmers would change codenames in the middle of development. Why switch from one perfectly succinct and aptly named code to another. That's why I think it's at least possible that the names refer to separate characters.

My thoughts precisely; renaming objects mid-development seems rather odd and unlikely, in my opinion.

I guess with Robo/Metal/Mecha Spring Man being a thing, it pretty much nails down the idea that Spring Man is the main character of ARMS.

And yet there's still gonna be people asking for Twintelle/Min Min/whatever for the next Smash Bros. whenever that happens, lol.

Haines

Banned
All free, and no loot boxes.

I will pick this game back up with the wifey and kids on this update. Tons of fun.

So you also hated the Lola Pop/button-mapping update? Damn, hard-to-please, much?

Sure, more modes would be nice, but we got one or two of those along the way.
I'll be honest, I haven't touched the game since brass was added. None of the updates have convinced me it's worth playing again. Lola Pop is probably real cool and all, but the game lacked content from the start, so I see her addition as Nintendo fixing that. Button remapping is cool, but I play on pc. It is not a feature that particularly impresses me. Should've been in from the start.

Doorman

To be fair it's ver. 3.2, not a full on update like 4.0

This right here is exactly why I'm not expecting this Robo-Springman to be a "new character tease," and is more likely some sort of new mode a la vs Hedlok and so on. Every other new character release has come along with a whole new numbered version and plays into the game's "seasons" for stat-tracking. Not only does this numbering system not match up with this trailer, but we're still just a couple weeks removed from version 3 coming and Lola Pop's release, and character introductions have been way more spaced out. For these reasons I don't think Mecha-Springman (Meccoil?) is a fully playable or unique character. How it'll work I don't know, but more content to the game is good, regardless of function.

Oh so we like Achivements now? I'll right that they, your always to and fro on these things. Why can't we just stick to puttings Stamps in every game.

I dunno about ARMS man, I feel the presence of the game rises up whenever they have an update and then immediately shrinks down again a week later.

I just think they really should be working on a Tournament Friendly mode that has all ARMS unlocked by default prompto. Seeing them have to use Default ARMS only in the World Championships is embarassing.

Luigi87

This right here is exactly why I'm not expecting this Robo-Springman to be a "new character tease," and is more likely some sort of new mode a la vs Hedlok and so on. Every other new character release has come along with a whole new numbered version and plays into the game's "seasons" for stat-tracking. Not only does this numbering system not match up with this trailer, but we're still just a couple weeks removed from version 3 coming and Lola Pop's release, and character introductions have been way more spaced out. For these reasons I don't think Mecha-Springman (Meccoil?) is a fully playable or unique character. How it'll work I don't know, but more content to the game is good, regardless of function.

I agree with you there.

I could see him being a Hedlok style mode, then being a character for 4.0

LotusHD

Banned
Cool trailer, guess Robo is confirmed now.

And yet there's still gonna be people asking for Twintelle/Min Min/whatever for the next Smash Bros. whenever that happens, lol.

Well yea, people like they like lol

Ideally, people would like Spring Man and someone else, but of course it'd likely be just Spring Man.

Mory Dunz

to me, and i'm afraid to use this word because of the connotations and arguments it can bring, it feels like an incomplete game. It's an incomplete game that I payed 60 bucks for, am completely satisfied, and knew exactly what I was getting and will get in the future.

But if the year was 2002, and dlc didn't exist like this, do I think Nintnedo, or whoever, would release the game like this? No, hence why it's incomplete for me. The definition of the has definitely altered over the years though. And getting games like Splatoon and ARMS out, and then providing content is the smart business move. As people can clearly see.

I just fell that if things were going to be incomplete regardless, I'd prefer a lame story mode with just individualized story and backstory (maybe with picture stills a la Street Fighter) than Volleyball and Basketball, or even 1 v 100. It was bad when SF did it because that's established. But this game needed that.

Neiteio

ARMS has sold incredibly well, but I think that in order for them to energize the base and increase engagement, they should focus on a BIG update. Certainly the Lola Pop update with its custom controls was a big deal, fundamentally improving the game by allowing me to map block to the shoulder button (and giving me an amazing new character and stage at the same time)... but like I said before, more progression loops would make the game feel more rewarding to play.

Think of how Call of Duty is constantly showering you with rewards. ARMS needs something similar, something more than money that still feels like a form of meaningful progress. Badges could be a promising start, but I wonder what else they could do.

Zubz

Banned
Nice! I'm a sucker for "Metal Döppelganger" tropes.

That's the exciting bit for me. I need more ARMS for fighters.

ARMS has sold incredibly well, but I think that in order for them to energize the base and increase engagement, they should focus on a BIG update. Certainly the Lola Pop update with its custom controls was a big deal, fundamentally improving the game by allowing me to map block to the shoulder button (and giving me an amazing new character and stage at the same time)... but like I said before, more progression loops would make the game feel more rewarding to play.

Think of how Call of Duty is constantly showering you with rewards. ARMS needs something similar, something more than money that still feels like a form of meaningful progress. I think the badges could be a promising start, but I wonder what else they could do.

Drastically lowering the amount of credits needed to get new arms would probably get me to play it again.

It just takes way too long to make any kind of progression on arm collecting.

Neiteio

to me, and i'm afraid to use this word because of the connotations and arguments it can bring, it feels like an incomplete game. It's an incomplete game that I payed 60 bucks for, am completely satisfied, and knew exactly what I was getting and will get in the future.

But if the year was 2002, and dlc didn't exist like this, do I think Nintnedo, or whoever, would release the game like this? No, hence why it's incomplete for me. The definition of the has definitely altered over the years though. And getting games like Splatoon and ARMS out, and then providing content is the smart business move. As people can clearly see.

I just fell that if things were going to be incomplete regardless, I'd prefer a lame story mode with just individualized story and backstory (maybe with picture stills a la Street Fighter) than Volleyball and Basketball, or even 1 v 100. It was bad when SF did it because that's established. But this game needed that.
I agree that had ARMS launched in 2002, it likely would've been more "content complete" from the start.

However, this piecemeal approach does have its advantages for you, the player. Namely, if you're someone who likes to play online, these periodic content drops provide a bump in user activity that will ensure you have more people to play against.

However: the Max Brass update added a new mode (Hedlok Shuffle) and stage, while the Lola Pop update added Button Remapping and a stage (Via Dolce).

Meanwhile, the recent 3.1 update merely added Sparring Ring. Since each major update has included a character, stage, and other major feature, it's not too much of a leap to say that Metal Spring is a new fighter, with 4.0 eventually launching with a new mode.

Perhaps his abilities required extra balancing or the ARMS Team simply decided to spread this update's contents farther to keep things rolling.

Neiteio

However: the Max Brass update added a new mode (Hedlok Shuffle) and stage, while the Lola Pop update added Button Remapping and a stage (Via Dolce).

Meanwhile, the recent 3.1 update merely added Sparring Ring. Since each major update has included a character, stage, and other major feature, it's not too much of a leap to say that Metal Spring is a new fighter, with 4.0 eventually launching with a new mode.

Perhaps his abilities required extra balancing or the ARMS Team simply decided to spread this update's contents farther to keep things rolling.
Perhaps this new character will also have his own stage, separate from Sparring Ring.

Speely

Banned

Think of how Call of Duty is constantly showering you with rewards. ARMS needs something similar, something more than money that still feels like a form of meaningful progress. I think the badges could be a promising start, but I wonder what else they could do.

Agreed. I LOVE ARMS, but I can see how limited its appeal is while gamers are distracted by so many other online games. Not sure what could turn it around, though.

Mory Dunz

Think of how Call of Duty is constantly showering you with rewards. ARMS needs something similar, something more than money that still feels like a form of meaningful progress. Badges could be a promising start, but I wonder what else they could do.

i'm annoyed that you can't save profiles when mapping controls. It saves to the controller number it seems

Top Bottom