• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS ver. 3.2 trailer (new character tease!)

Cartho

The only thing about badges / achievement type things in ARMS which makes me sad is that it probably means we aren’t getting a system wide achievement system. I doubt Nintendo would do all of that just for ARMS if they were going to roll out a system wide version.

AKC12

Achievements, stat tracking, spectator mode should have been in the game since day 1. But either Nintendo rushed the game out to so it releases before Splatoon, or they held off these features on purpose to make these updates look more meatier.

Regardless, the constant free updates will only do good things for the sales and longevity of this game.

ckfy63a

IMG_2247.png

Sorry to double post, but I've been thinking...

...have we seen this icon before? I can trace the origin of practically every other badge, but this bear throws me off...

It's one of the brands for the ARMS! I believe Homie? (To see what I mean, go to Set ARMS; each ARM has a logo of some kind, and I believe one of them is the bear.)

EDIT: Whoops, I'm thinking of the Bubb. Here you go:

Ry9VTqd.png

EDIT 2: Actually, the Bubb has a different brand, and I distinctly remember the Bear branding being a mistake from the May ARMS Direct...it might actually be Homie or Seekie; you get the idea. :p

It's one of the brands for the ARMS! I believe Homie? (To see what I mean, go to Set ARMS; each ARM has a logo of some kind, and I believe one of them is the bear.)

Ah, interesting! Thank you for the insight!

Though I had rather hoped it may be a sneaky tease at things to come...

Ah, the Bubb! Makes perfect sense for the Bubb's manufacturer to have such a friendly logo, as the flavor text says they're made for beginners, if I recall correctly...!

Ladies and gents, I've finally found concrete evidence that Metal Spring is a new fighter, not a skin nor a Hedlok-style boss:

IMG_2248.jpg

Notice that the fans wear a different hat for Metal Spring. This, to me, confirms that MS will be completely separate from Spring Man.

ckfy63a

Ladies and gents, I've finally found concrete evidence that Metal Spring is a new fighter, not a skin nor a Hedlok-style boss:

IMG_2248.jpg

Notice that the fans wear a different hat for Metal Spring. This, to me, confirms that MS will be completely separate from Spring Man.

Good observation! Just playing devil's advocate here (I really hope Metal Spring is a new fighter, too, just trying not to get my hopes up), but different fighter alts have different fans with the corresponding color scheme, right? If so, isn't it possible that Metal Spring is just a slightly more elaborate alt (think Wireframe Little Mac in Smash Bros.) than we're used to so far in ARMS?

Good observation! Just playing devil's advocate here (I really hope Metal Spring is a new fighter, too, just trying not to get my hopes up), but different fighter alts have different fans with the corresponding color scheme, right? If so, isn't it possible that Metal Spring is just a slightly more elaborate alt (think Wireframe Little Mac in Smash Bros.) than we're used to so far in ARMS?

I... erm, can't actually recall if fans adhere to your chosen color scheme or not...

If they DO, then it is indeed possible that Metal is a very elaborate costume for Spring Man. If this is the case, I must commend the ARMS Team for making the effort to even alter the look of the fans!

PokéKong

I am not an achievement enthusiast, but my next top request for this game after custom controls was some method of earning currency more efficiently. I praise the devs for continuing to read my mind somehow.

I also am holding on to my theory that this game's support is essentially the same as Street Fighter V, only without all the baggage of pretense and expectations, that way every new thing is a pleasant surprise. My dream is that they are still working on a story mode, and maybe when they reach what is essentially "Season 2" of content they may not offer it as free updates, and maybe not as standard DLC packs, but perhaps offered as an incentive to join Nintendo's future paid online service.

I... erm, can't actually recall if fans adhere to your chosen color scheme or not...

If they DO, then it is indeed possible that Metal is a very elaborate costume for Spring Man. If this is the case, I must commend the ARMS Team for making the effort to even alter the look of the fans!

I'm playing against another RG right now and I can confirm that our fans reflect our chosen color.

I'm playing against another RG right now and I can confirm that our fans reflect our chosen color.

Hmm. I suppose I've never really paid much attention to the folks who AREN'T trying to punch my lights out...

Well then. Hrmph.

I suppose the main evidence towards Metal Spring being a full fledged fighter is:

1) If he's a skin, surely they'd make/tease more than one?

2) His floating animation that Spring Man lacks.

2 could PLAUSIBLY fall under "extremely elaborate skin", I suppose.

Black_Red

My biggest problem with Arms is how similar all the fighters are, I'd love them to have some exclusive arms choices or more differentiation on their abilities.

Bridges

This game's support has been fantastic. Didn't really stick with me at launch but especially ever since the Lola Pop update I've loved the game.

Can't wait for more characters, Metal Spring looks cool, I just hope he ends up being unique enough to justify him and Spring Man not sharing a character slot.

My biggest problem with Arms is how similar all the fighters are, I'd love them to have some exclusive arms choices or more differentiation on their abilities.

Only use the default arms like I do. Every character feels unique then.

I wish Nintendo hadn't had the players using mouthing controls. In the NWC17 last. Night. It made the game.look.suler boring.

Giolon

I think that allowing every character to unlock and use all the arms was a mistake and leads the game into feeling more homogeneous than it otherwise has to. Each characters special ability already makes playing with each one take different strategy, but when you can just use your favorite weapon across all of them it really diminishes the differences.

NEO0MJ

I think that allowing every character to unlock and use all the arms was a mistake and leads the game into feeling more homogeneous than it otherwise has to. Each characters special ability already makes playing with each one take different strategy, but when you can just use your favorite weapon across all of them it really diminishes the differences.

This is my opinion as well. Like you said as a whole it just felt too homogeneous, especially when characters have relatively simple unique abilities like Ribbon Girl.

Yeah more ARMS support ! I'm pretty sure the new fighter will be a brand new fighter, not a simple skin. I just don't really get what these badges are supposed to be/do ?

ARMS really ends up being that switch game I have a soft spot for, it is so damn fun and I adore the art and overall quality in this. The last numbers we got was 1,1 million sales a few months ago so I wonder what are the current numbers. Hope it is successful enough to warrant some more new IPs from Nintendo, ARMS amiibos and maybe a Smash bros ARMS fighter.

Keep the new stuff coming. Hoping to jump back in soon, preferably when there's an option for online 1-on-1 matches only, without having to play the other modes in rotation.

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
I don't recall ARMS sales even being that bad.

People still seem to apply $50+ million AAA development cost sales targets to Nintendo games when they’re not remotely comparable outside of maybe Breath of the Wild.

Even in the World of smaller Nintendo budgets, ARMS is probably extremely low budget compared to other WiiU/Switch games. Over a million sales in its first six months considering the lack of content at launch will be considered a huge win internally imo.

I have the game but haven’t really played it after dropping it a few weeks after launch. I’d love some sort of story mode set in much more open areas to flesh out the characters. Something akin to Streets of Rage or Final Fight would be fantastic.

ryushe

I really want to buy this game, but without some kind of story mode, world tour mode or something where the main focus isn't fighting other humans, I know I'll end up getting tired of this game well before I get my money's worth.

Hopefully something like that is coming.

Dope ass trailer though.

jdstorm

Banned
I really want to buy this game, but without some kind of story mode, world tour mode or something where the main focus isn't fighting other humans, I know I'll end up getting tired of this game well before I get my money's worth.

Hopefully something like that is coming.

Dope ass trailer though.

There is a world tour mode

Hoping it's not a new character here but new added specials. Maybe a fury mode or something similar.

Don't know but even if more characters is good I'd be happy to have more moves too.

PokéKong

I think this is only a problem when perceiving the game through the lense of your typical fighting game formula. ARMS just handles characters differently, there are no unique special moves in the game, it's sort of more comparable to how many collectable card games work, where each card presents some new variable that slightly alters the base rules of the game. In ARMS the variations and unique abilities of each character are there to fit your play style, which may shift with how you're feeling, and the arms themselves are more analogous to different fighters in other fighting games.

Keep the new stuff coming. Hoping to jump back in soon, preferably when there's an option for online 1-on-1 matches only, without having to play the other modes in rotation.

There always has been, it's called Ranked and unlocks if you beat GP mode on at least difficulty 4.

TheMoon

The amount of support this game is getting from Nintendo is unbelievable especially considering it's relatively poor sales. Props to them for continuing to believe in this game. For me, it has been fantastic, and my second most played game on my Switch after Zelda.

you need to do some actual research before saying stuff like this :)

Most high level players (19+) are now playing with default arms anyway.

I find that the defaults tend to compliment the characters well. Each arm type also plays differently anyway and what arms you choose will tend to have a big effect on your playstyle. Two Ribbon Girls for instance can play really differently based on the arms they choose. One can be an evader that just do counters while the other can be more aggressive and in your face. I tend to switch it up depending on my opponent. I like both options and you can create your own rules. For example, I tend to use the default ones against those with higher rank then me. I use the 'cheap' arms on those lower levels than me.

PokéKong;251323256 said:
There always has been, it's called Ranked and unlocks if you beat GP mode on at least difficulty 4.

Level 3 was difficult enough for me. Besides, I'd rather play it casually online rather than ranked.

jdstorm

Banned
The same way it's handled in Street Fighter Alpha 3?

No idea. But probably not. Essentially you fight 10 characters across a variety of modes on your opponents home field. Before each fight it shows a map of the world and the location of where the next fight is.

Biske

This.

When playing the test punch and the very early game, each character was really different and really mattered. But more and more you'd fight with and against the same Arms, no matter the character more or less.

So since launching with Spring Man we’ve had Big Spring Man (aka Brass) and now Metal Spring Man. Poor.
I hope this is just a power up and a tease for a new mode.

Badges are nice, earning money was a grind.

Is this game still fun to you guys? This is one game where I've seen a huge group of people go from hyping it up to despising it the next. It seems like a Punch-Out/Virtual On hybrid that I wouldn't mind picking up, but I'm wondering if the player base is still lively.

I was pretty hyped for this game, but I stopped playing shortly after release and forgot about the game entirely after Splatoon 2 came out. I personally felt like the core gameplay isn’t very interesting and that the depth that comes from each character’s unique abilities and the various arms attachments wasn’t compelling enough to make up for it. The lack of a story mode or many other modes at all for that matter doesn’t help at all as the game’s strongest aspect (its character design) doesn’t really get a chance to shine.

Most high level players (19+) are now playing with default arms anyway.

I find that the defaults tend to compliment the characters well. Each arm type also plays differently anyway and what arms you choose will tend to have a big effect on your playstyle. Two Ribbon Girls for instance can play really differently based on the arms they choose. One can be an evader that just do counters while the other can be more aggressive and in your face. I tend to switch it up depending on my opponent. I like both options and you can create your own rules. For example, I tend to use the default ones against those with higher rank then me. I use the 'cheap' arms on those lower levels than me.

Isn't Helix's set of defaults considered really bad for it's playstyle but when you equip it optimally to compliment those regular abilities helix has, helix becomes one of the best characters in the game? I'm behind on my ARMS Meta coverage but I recall that being talked a lot.

I'm still saying, just create a Tournament Friendly mode that has everything unlocked just like Pokken had on the Wii U. Problem solved, everyone wins.

ASIS

Completely agreed. The game overall needed to focus more on adding depth in the core mechanics and characters rather than ARMS. I would even go as far as saying everything about acquiring ARMS and customizing different ARMS are the worst part of the game.

Still an amazing title, but the sequel has a looot of room to improve upon.

A good chunk of the responses towards any ARMS post Nintendo makes are riddles with "dead game" or "this game is trash" or other posts along those lines.

it certainly aint trash as it got fairly good scores and it does not seem to be dead as nintendo is updating it and it sold quite well. also it seems like there are haters that care enough to post about how it is dead.

Infinite

It's crazy to me that this game didn't simply lift Splatoon's progression system in regards to unlocking additional arms and such.

So, our old pal Biff has posted something rather interesting tonight...

A gif of Metal Spring in action!

Shall we fire up the old ARMS Speculation Lab, folks?

As we can see here, MS is going through 1v100 mode. The RNA Men assault him in the DNA Lab, and the combination of test tubes and a rapidly changing camera angle make it difficult to make out much.

He SEEMS to be using the Toasters, or perhaps a new variant of them. The ARMS are definitely Fire attribute, as we can see flames on them when he charges.

It seems he has some sort of Insta-Shield ability very reminiscent of the Sonic 3 maneuver. An aura of electrical power seems to surround him for a moment, deflecting punches near him. It also seems that this move charges his ARMS. He seems to hover in the air for a moment when he does this as well. It's unclear if he can move or if he's locked in place...

Possibly the most interesting thing we can see is his animation at the end, where his legs and neck seem to telescope outwards. It's almost reminiscent of Helix's win animation where he stretches upwards as though looking at his fallen foe...

Could this be his secondary ability? Or is it simply a win animation...?

Top Bottom