• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Around The World in 1896 Colorized

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Footage filmed by the Lumière Brothers, all around the World and remastered by this Youtuber. Amazing.

8:25 top right corner, yeah we see you clowning around, almost 130 years later!

image.png

Last edited:

YCoCg

It always annoys me when they go for 60fps no matter the source which leads to unnatural motion because of the uneven frame pacing and the AI trying to correct that. It would've been better if they went for an initial quadruple frame, so 18x4 to get 72fps then divide that by 3 to get 24fps, that way the AI frames would be paced properly leading to a more natural interpretation of the source but then dropping frames to 24fps will allow it to then blend the frames to a more pleasing look.

Is it wrong that I would rather visit London and Paris from that era than today? Paris especially, before it got filled with economic migrants trying to sell things for one euro on every street corner

Last edited:

Melon Husk

It always annoys me when they go for 60fps no matter the source which leads to unnatural motion because of the uneven frame pacing and the AI trying to correct that. It would've been better if they went for an initial quadruple frame, so 18x4 to get 72fps then divide that by 3 to get 24fps, that way the AI frames would be paced properly leading to a more natural interpretation of the source but then dropping frames to 24fps will allow it to then blend the frames to a more pleasing look.
Agreed, looks better in 30fps. Linear interpolation is unnatural. The original frame rate is what gives silent films their distinctive jumpy look but the upgrade (16fps or 18fps? to 60fps) isn't any better. Easy enough to download the video and drop halve the framerate for myself. If someone really wants the motion interpolation then they can play it on their TV.

There should be a contest, like with the Pompeii scrolls, on who makes the best looking upscale of the original videos, and people could vote for the winners.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member

In this case, the main reason is not the frame rate.
All movies in that era were filmed while operating a hand crack. So frame pacing was always wrong.

Puscifer

I just think it's better to leave it as it is. Even they shall not grow old, where they sourced original colors to ensure it looked natural and blended the frames shit just seemed so off. I do appreciate though, he worked to preserve that footage

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
It’s fascinating, but as always with post-colorization, I have a hard time believing everything looked so drab and colorless. Especially people’s clothes, men literally all have pants of the same shade of blue in the thumbnail. I’d wager that “CHOCOLAT RUSSE” sign in Marseille was much redder than brown. I mean, the blues and yellows on those walls in Pompeii that were unearthed just two or three years ago were way, way, more vibrant than these videos after 2000 years. It’s a bit like watching statues and buildings from the past and knowing they were painted and colored to a degree we’ll never know with certainty.

The beauty is to see people both enjoying a way simpler life, and looking pretty much as busy as we are today.
That scuba diver in that Paris scene is amazing.

Is it wrong that I would rather visit London and Paris from that era than today? Paris especially, before it got filled with economic migrants trying to sell things for one euro on every street corner
You think there weren’t just as many back then, especially in the big cities? Cities were full of beggars and underage workers, shining shoes and the like. Migrants were aplenty too, doing lots of illegal work.

Top Bottom