• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Art Self Study |OT| Putting the Fun in Art Fundamentals

DrBo42

Projection painting is really cool. And spooky as fuck.

81382379b8.jpg

Jintor

hey butts

i'm going down to osaka next sat to check out some art stores. Any advice on pens? My standbys are copic brush-pens and other fine-liners - I love the brush-pen feel. I might start a small colour collection too. But any other advice?

Also if anybody knows any good big colour tutorials for digital stuff I'd be appreciate. Not necessarily colouring linework, working directly with big blobs of colour if possible.

Fandangox

So I'm working on a character portrait for a friends FF14 character. Just put in 7 hours.

Any advice would be great.

I am probably not the best to ask for this type of things, but I think her eyes look off somehow. I don't know if her left eye (her right) should be closer to the nose, or if the position of the shine on the eyes is off.

Monocle

Don't miss this podcast by Feng Zhu, an industry leading concept artist: Design Cinema Podcast EP 6 – Learning On Your Own. As a self-taught artist struggling on/off for 10+ years, I can say FZ is 100% on point. He literally repeated word for word the biggest excuses that have held me back. Insanely good advice here, stuff that could potentially save you years of wasted time.

We've reached a point where top professionals are sharing invaluable information for free (or dirt cheap through books, Gumroad, Youtube, etc.). Every serious student should take full advantage of these resources.

DEATH™;197618055 said:
Guys, for those studying anatomy, this app is super awesome!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.catfishanimationstudio.AnatomyForTheArtist

Super detailed model with individual muscles that can be toggled of to see the deep muscles. Cannot be much more helpful than this!
I'm downloading the lite version on my iPhone now, thanks.

Oberon

Banned
Oh! This thread feels like a hidden gem! How did I not see it before?
Hello everybody, I've been drawing pretty much most of my life (I am 19 now), but mostly as a hobby (I've considered going into art school later, but I am far to scarred to take that risk). I've always looked at tutorials to help me out when I don't know how to draw something, but it was mostly simple tutorial on the internet that didn't answer all of my questions all the time. So like 2 weeks ago, I've decided to intensely study the fundamentals, like anatomy, perspective, gesture drawing and so on. I've also found out that Andrew Loomis' books were free to download, so I decided to base my "studies" on his books. So now I am trying to "absorb" as much information as possible.
edit: Also, I try to draw the things they try to explain.

edit2:

Don't miss this podcast by Feng Zhu, an industry leading concept artist: Design Cinema Podcast EP 6 – Learning On Your Own. As a self-taught artist struggling on/off for 10+ years, I can say FZ is 100% on point. He literally repeated word for word the biggest excuses that have held me back. Insanely good advice here, stuff that could potentially save you years of wasted time.

This was quite nice to listen to. At first I got disincouraged with his suggestion of drawing about 6 hours a day, because I could never find the time for that, especially not in the next years. This kind of cements the fact that it won't be my career choice any time soon. However, it also kind of encouraging, since I can take my time (I'll still try to draw every day), and can still do it for fun.

DEATH™

Oh! This thread feels like a hidden gem! How did I not see it before?
Hello everybody, I've been drawing pretty much most of my life (I am 19 now), but mostly as a hobby (I've considered going into art school later, but I am far to scarred to take that risk). I've always looked at tutorials to help me out when I don't know how to draw something, but it was mostly simple tutorial on the internet that didn't answer all of my questions all the time. So like 2 weeks ago, I've decided to intensely study the fundamentals, like anatomy, perspective, gesture drawing and so on. I've also found out that Andrew Loomis' books were free to download, so I decided to base my "studies" on his books. So now I am trying to "absorb" as much information as possible.
edit: Also, I try to draw the things they try to explain.

edit2:

This was quite nice to listen to. At first I got disincouraged with his suggestion of drawing about 6 hours a day, because I could never find the time for that, especially not in the next years. This kind of cements the fact that it won't be my career choice any time soon. However, it also kind of encouraging, since I can take my time (I'll still try to draw every day), and can still do it for fun.

Welcome man! Hope you keep posting!

About the 6 hours per day on 1 year, that I could approximate into a full year, full time, senior work for a typical university. So in a sense, what he's saying is even if you are self-studying, it doesnt mean you shouldnt put tremendous amount of hours practicing.

My problem with it though is if obeyed strictly, its gonna burn you out, you are going to sacrifice alot of other things relationship wise (assuming you also have a day job to feed yourself), and you will not be efficient with your time. Maybe I'm getting old but I realized that an hour or two spent wisely learning and applying a concept with a direction in mind is much better than bullrushing through six hours of wandering (which is what I have done before, and it only gave me bad habits and didnt teach me anything, compared to simply dropping the pencil and think of what am I doing wrong while doing other things).

Speaking of that, I remember a puzzle I want all of you guys to try out. Maybe I can show it later.

Jintor

DEATH™;197672473 said:
Maybe I'm getting old but I realized that an hour or two spent wisely learning and applying a concept with a direction in mind is much better than bullrushing through six hours of wandering (which is what I have done before, and it only gave me bad habits and didnt teach me anything, compared to simply dropping the pencil and think of what am I doing wrong while doing other things).

sounds like language learning

Violet_0

Banned

We've reached a point where top professionals are sharing invaluable information for free (or dirt cheap through books, Gumroad, Youtube, etc.). Every serious student should take full advantage of these resources.

that was quite interesting, thanks

DEATH™

Guys, does anyone have an experience with artisul d13? That matches my price point and the specs are super attractive (almost as similar to cintiq 13hd but with more brightness and has battery on it).

EDIT nvm it doesn't have a battery, but I'm not gonna be stuck in an outlet like an cintiq would

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

Thanks for this.

About a year ago I kind of made the decision to not to purse art/design as a career and pursue grad school with one of my other interests and I constantly struggle with this decision, because it went from not wanting art to become associated with work and not with leisure, to me no longer having half the time I used to for art period. I now found myself just buying fancy art supplies and not having to show for them, kind of like he describes people doing with books/tutorials.

Like most things in life, "I don't have time for xxx" is usually just an excuse for having poor time management, but man, it's hard. And with my workload it's an additional layer of depressing when you know you won't be able to put in enough, regular practice to improve. Just have to hope it does.

Spinluck

Congrats, you're an artist! This is basically my life.

:lol

Love this response.

Some days I feel like 7-8, like I'm just breezing through, slowly getting there.

Others I feel like a -56, throwing in the towel and pursuing other hobbies. It's a long long grind with no shortcuts.

C.B.

I feel really late jumping into the thread but I've been getting a bit more study time in. So I shall say hello and slowly elbow my way in with a couple things.

Did this today in between work stuff and feel more positive towards environments. This is definitely one of my weaker points I'm going to address this year which I hope in turn will help me apply texture to my painting in a more controlled way.

northfacingqcsck.jpg

My interest was piqued after listening to a couple of those Feng Zhu podcasts which made me want to be a bit more concious about what I was actually doing while working on an enviro. I realised my brain just switched off whenever I turned my canvas horizontal and decided there would be no living things in it. It was fun for a few hours but certainly a ways to go. And some other 5 - 15 minute studies

I'm really trying to face the music and work on things that I'm just generally awful at and hide out of shame.

Also, DEATH™ I did finally do a tiny little something on zigzag folds as you were asking before:

This is all relatively lax information. I really wish I had more time to explain in better detail but I thought this might help push you in the right direction. Fabric is quite diverse so it's hard to really get to the meat of it with a few pictures. It can all be super different depending on materials - the way you would define the shadows to how the folds would actually form so to be honest I would say observation is the way to go as with anything else. But I think keeping in mind form and weight will start showing some results on how you approach the subject. Hope this helps, even in the slightest bit.

Anyway I do hope to hang around here every once in a while and participate!

I doodled a skeleton ghost dragonsnakedeer for preliminary concept art
Manga Studio 30 min.

f55BnNS.png

it's not a person, but it was a good exercise in just learning a little of bone structure

I am getting pissed off at myself. It's either tablet jitter, or I am developing some hand/eye atrophy. My lines are not straight enough and they tend to veer off course.

I am trying to draw a Power Glove-esque project but you can clearly see my lines are chicken scratch and garbled. It's stressing me out because I have this big idea in my head but the process is such a slog because it's not up to what I had envisioned. The weird thing is that on pen and paper, it isn't as severe but I still have trouble with making non-referenced images that aren't amateur picasso abominations or high school chicken scratch.

I apologize if I am come off a bit heated, but there's a lot of weighted emotion and expectation behind all of this.

[EDIT] I just realized I fucked up the perspective on the bottom square. This is how bad I get when I get flustered and unfocused, lol.

.JayZii

Banned
I am getting pissed off at myself. It's either tablet jitter, or I am developing some hand/eye atrophy. My lines are not straight enough and they tend to veer off course.

I am trying to draw a Power Glove-esque project but you can clearly see my lines are chicken scratch and garbled. It's stressing me out because I have this big idea in my head but the process is such a slog because it's not up to what I had envisioned. The weird thing is that on pen and paper, it isn't as severe but I still have trouble with making non-referenced images that aren't amateur picasso abominations or high school chicken scratch.

I apologize if I am come off a bit heated, but there's a lot of weighted emotion and expectation behind all of this.

[EDIT] I just realized I fucked up the perspective on the bottom square. This is how bad I get when I get flustered and unfocused, lol.
Make sure you have the "Tip Double-click Distance" turned all the way off if you are using a Wacom.

As for line quality, start off by warming up with a lot of hand/eye exercises before you start sketching anything. Put down two dots and then connect them in one stroke. Draw boxes in perspective and then draw an ellipse on each of the faces that conforms to the established perspective. Connect the corners of the box so that there is an X shape dividing each face of your boxes. Draw free hand circles and ellipses of varying size and shape. These are not the most exciting things in the world, but they will increase your hand/eye coordination and allow you to put the line down where you want it and to use descriptive mark-making. Don't chicken scratch your way to the proper line, try to envision where you want it, and put it down in one stroke. If it comes out wrong, undo, and try again until you get it right.

Make sure you are training yourself to draw using your elbow or shoulder as a pivot point, instead of your wrist/fingers while you are learning. Be bold and commit to making your marks.

Use the digital medium to your advantage. If you are losing the plot, and perspective is going all over the place because you are too focused on each individual detail, then draw the basic geometric forms (boxes, cylinders, spheres) and get them to correctly convey your form first. Then lower the opacity and draw onto another layer over the top. That will take a lot of the mental processing your brain is trying to do all at once out of the drawing process.

Above all, practice, practice, practice. This is said all the time, but it really cannot be overstated. Becoming good at drawing is going to take a lot longer than you would like, but practicing properly will really quicken the pace.

It's also good to be prepared for the fact that you will never be wholly satisfied with your artistic abilities, so learn to enjoy the process of learning. Good Luck!

Make sure you are training yourself to draw using your elbow or shoulder as a pivot point, instead of your wrist/fingers while you are learning. Be bold and commit to making your marks.

Yikes, I didn't think of that. That's probably where the nasty jitter is coming from.

For what it's worth, I am trying to train myself to not use the mouse to draw. Not only is it too rigid and cumbersome, but I am using my non-writing hand too! It became second nature for me. So much so that, well, I end up making something better on mouse than I do with my supposed dominant left pen hand. (Only the head was drawn up with a wacom, everything else was reused assets from previous "right hand" projects.)

So, essentially, my drawing style is that of the Master/Crazy Hand dichotomy from Smash Bros. :)

Jzero

Everyone should take a college art class, i'm half a semester in an i've improved a ton. I didn't even know i had drawing skills in me.

zFTMIBW.jpg

I am at a loss on what I am doing wrong. I mean, I think I am doing something wrong with the shading, but at the same time my mind is just noise and clutter on what style should fit, what brushes I should use, etc etc. I may need to just 86 the whole project and start fresh, but that will require me fighting with my tablet again.

Everyone should take a college art class, i'm half a semester in an i've improved a ton. I didn't even know i had drawing skills in me.

I would if I could, but I don't have the dosh to register for one. Free online courses would just go over my head, unfortunately.

.JayZii

Banned
Are there any good online college art classes?
I haven't taken any, so I'm hesitant to recommend any. Just doing figure drawing via Pixellovely or Sketchdaily will help a lot. Look into if there are any live figure drawing classes in your area because the live classes will teach you faster than reference pictures will. There are probably a lot more in your area than you would think, and they are usually really cheap ($5-10 per session) or sometimes even free.

Interfectum

I haven't taken any, so I'm hesitant to recommend any. Just doing figure drawing via Pixellovely or Sketchdaily will help a lot. Look into if there are any live figure drawing classes in your area because the live classes will teach you faster than reference pictures will. There are probably a lot more in your area than you would think, and they are usually really cheap ($5-10 per session) or sometimes even free.

Thanks I'll keep an eye out.

I'd love to sign up for an art class at my college but making time to get to that class would be a huge barrier of entry, unfortunately. :(

I've been doing Sketchdaily and it helps a lot for sure but I have the feeling I'm missing out on some fundamentals or "tricks" that professors give students that would make my life easier. Also the forced deadlines and grading help, I'm sure.

Thanks I'll keep an eye out.

I'd love to sign up for an art class at my college but making time to get to that class would be a huge barrier of entry, unfortunately. :(

I've been doing Sketchdaily and it helps a lot for sure but I have the feeling I'm missing out on some fundamentals or "tricks" that professors give students that would make my life easier. Also the forced deadlines and grading help, I'm sure.

I'm looking at these two websites

http://drawpj.com/
and
http://www.drawing-tutorials-online.com/

They seem very good but the first one is pricey, $1200 for the course with instructor. The other one has a more affordable yearly membership and you can get criticism once a week from the teacher too, so I will go for that one starting next week. I hope some of you guys have any opinion on these courses or other recommendations?

I would prefer to take a class at the community college, but it seems I have to go through the admissions at my local college to be able to take the drawing courses, as opposed to the non-credit classes that are open to anyone. I've also taken an introductory class at the local art association and it was very fun but I wanted more yet I don't feel prepared to jump into the figure drawing classes they offer with real models

Monocle

zFTMIBW.jpg

I am at a loss on what I am doing wrong. I mean, I think I am doing something wrong with the shading, but at the same time my mind is just noise and clutter on what style should fit, what brushes I should use, etc etc. I may need to just 86 the whole project and start fresh, but that will require me fighting with my tablet again.

I would if I could, but I don't have the dosh to register for one. Free online courses would just go over my head, unfortunately.
Get Scott Robertson's books, How to Draw and How to Render. They'll help you fill in those missing fundamentals. Essential for this kind of project.

The reason the lighting doesn't look right is your light source isn't clear due to the placement of your shadows and highlights, and the values don't have correct contrast.

Decide whether your light source is directional (from a lamp, or the sun on a clear day) or diffuse (like an overcast day where the light scatters everywhere), and if it's directional, where it's coming from. Decide the base value of each material in diffuse light, throw on a subtle gradient to indicate the direction of the light source, and make your shadows halfway between your base value and black on the value scale.

You need to be able to rank your values on a 1 - 10 scale where 0 = black, 5 = 50% gray, 10 = white. For a good read, there should be a full value step between your light and shadow values. (If your darkest light for a given material is a 4, your lightest dark should be a 6 at most.) This is really important.

Buy those Scott Robertson books, seriously. They teach the stuff professionals learn at bigshot art schools like Art Center.

If you can, get a glove and try to recreate the lighting conditions you want to use in your piece. When in doubt, look to nature.

DEATH™

Nice Sculpts as usual Bo!

Jesus Conde on youtube has some fantastic tutorials for digital artists. I didn't see him in the OP. https://www.youtube.com/user/JesusCondeArtStudio/featured

and if you want to have a perfect reference book for fashion, drapery, fabric, clothes, and things of that nature I seriously recommend "Vogue and the Metropolitan Museum of Art Costume institute" by Hamish Bowles. Best book Iv seen.

Will add Jesus Conde sometime later! I actually am subscribed to him! Also Im gonna look up that book!

Congrats, you're an artist! This is basically my life.

One approach I use when I'm stuck is to work on one specific thing. Just pick an exercise out of a book or Youtube video, or a technique you want to learn, or a specific subject like drawing hands, and stick to that one thing for a while. You might not feel like you're moving closer to your artistic goals, but in the end all progress helps. It's better than nothing.

I'm working on this exercise at the moment. Seems like a really good approach to learning. Something to counteract the obsessive perfectionism that drives me to spend way too long on a fundamentally broken drawing or painting.

great tip! I've been on a progress rut myself and took a bit of a break from drawing...I need to get back into it.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Anyone have any tips for trying to come up with backgrounds? OR drawing a background around a character?

I find that if I draw any of my characters around a specific situation the background basically decides itself. (I also choose backgrounds based around what type of color scheme I want, but that's something entirely different.)

To be specific... Try envisioning what kind of image you want before you start. If you design both your character and their environment simultaneously you'll have an easier time figuring it out and you're more likely to have a background befitting of your character.

LegendX48

I find that if I draw any of my characters around a specific situation the background basically decides itself. (I also choose backgrounds based around what type of color scheme I want, but that's something entirely different.)

To be specific... Try envisioning what kind of image you want before you start. If you design both your character and their environment simultaneously you'll have an easier time figuring it out and you're more likely to have a background befitting of your character.

That's something I seriously need to start doing. The fact that I don't is why I keep running into this same problem over and over, lol. I spend all of my time/energy on the character that when I decide I want a background... my mind just goes blank and I can never think of anything. That and when I draw a character first, I can't seem to draw a background around them and usually force something awful looking.

Amiibro

I'm looking for some more podcasts to listen to at work. I subbed the Feng Zhu one. Anything for tips that are trustworthy and correct for beginners just starting out. I guess I could watch some YouTube videos but it's easiest to listen while at work.

Going to order most the Andrew Loomis books but if I were to pick two from ground zero, no real training other than just doodling what two should I pick?

Monocle

I'm looking for some more podcasts to listen to at work. I subbed the Feng Zhu one. Anything for tips that are trustworthy and correct for beginners just starting out. I guess I could watch some YouTube videos but it's easiest to listen while at work.

Going to order most the Andrew Loomis books but if I were to pick two from ground zero, no real training other than just doodling what two should I pick?
Podcasts:

Chris Oatley's ArtCast (Loads of practical tips here.)

Anything by Will Terrell, especially his People Sketching series (He talks about many different aspects of art making. Lots of excellent practical advice.)

Bobby Chiu's streams and interviews (So much good advice. Great guy.)

Level Up! Sessions (Really interesting interviews and free-paint sessions with pros. A decent amount of practical tips, maybe more useful for intermediate/experienced artists, but very much worth checking out regardless.)

The Collective Podcast by Ash Thorp (Not a lot of practical tips, but absolutely fascinating interviews with some of the world's best art professionals. One of the best art podcasts out there, as far as I know.)

Jeff Watts' workshops and interviews (Long, wide-ranging conversations with a modern master. Some good tips buried in here.)

Bradwynn Jones (A traditional artist who studied under Watts. Has some useful insights into the learning process.)

Sycra Yasin (Good advice and tips for studying. He helped me recognize that mistakes are vital to the learning process, and should be welcomed as opportunities to figure out what you need to practice.)

Loomis books:

Successful Drawing for sure. Creative Illustration is also full of good info, but maybe a little more advanced. Same goes for Figure Drawing for All Its Worth. I like portraits and head drawing in general, so Drawing the Head and Hands is another of my favorites.

Sorry about the mobile links, I'm on my phone.

Also sorry for not responding to everyone who's replied to me. I'll pop back in at some point and see what I can do.

Jhoan

Does anyone have any experience selling art at events/conventions? I need some advice. See I'm tabling at my first event ever next Friday with several other artists. I have no idea what type of stuff to sell considering that a bulk of my work lately has been sketches of people in the the subway and a few side projects that I started and left incomplete. However, I do know that I plan to keep my prices cheap and won't exceed $50 at most and will bring in supplies to do live commissions as well.

I'm more of a traditional artist even though I have a Wacom tablet and dabble in digital painting (still suck at it) so I'm not sure if I have anything worth making prints of. If it helps, the event is going to be Superhero themed so it would probably be in my best interest to produce some famous comic book characters sketches to sell. Thanks for the input in advance!

Oh and I second Chris Oatley's ArtCast. It's really fantastic stuff and very inspirational. I haven't listed to in a while. Will check out the other podcasts as well.

Yeah, I totally 86'd that last project and did something else...

Learning my tablet, still has the audacity to fight with me with where lines should go, but it's more fun to shade/lighten certain elements. Debated with how "poofed" the letterman jacket should of been, proportions are probably not right of course. As for the face, debated on whether I should draw up a highly detailed mask (more challenge with shading) or an actual face (challenge myself with...drawing faces, ugh). Letterman logos would come afterward of course.

I guess it's an improvement, but nothing to write home about.

QWGuIY9.png

Been working on a 3D model of Judy Hopps for the last couple weeks. Nearly done, just gotta tweak some stuff and add some decent lighting and then I'll render it out. Cant figure out fur though lol.

Monocle

DEATH™;199825298 said:
This is a hot topic on SFV threads right now so might as well discuss this here...

fyWhGHl.png

People are saying Ken's face was a bit screwed up here. Can you guys point out how would you correct this if you are the artist/modeler?

- Forehead and cranium really short, making the face appear too wide

- Jaw very rounded. Ken's is usually more angular

- Expressions of eyes, mouth, and brows don't match

- Flesh doesn't bunch up or wrinkle in the right places, like the cheeks, eyes, brow, and nose. Could be a stylistic thing, but it looks strange to me, like he's pumped full of botox.

DEATH™

- Forehead and cranium really short, making the face appear too wide

- Jaw very rounded. Ken's is usually more angular

- Expressions of eyes, mouth, and brows don't match

- Flesh doesn't bunch up or wrinkle in the right places, like the cheeks, eyes, brow, and nose. Could be a stylistic thing, but it looks strange to me, like he's pumped full of botox.

The bolded was the one that stood out the most to me

This is a great lesson on fundamentals of constructing the head. It doesn't matter if you get a well done modeled features, if the places are off, it's gonna look ugly.

P0ICmCk.png

Source: Gary Faigin's Complete Guide of Facial Expressions

What's baffling about it though is that capcom modelers should at least know this or recognize something off. I mean, they are getting paid to make art. If I come in with that on my portfolio with any other company I won't get considered at all! Maybe it's the recycling of models or rushed development, but darn this is another blow to SFV...

Skinpop

last few months have been busy, finally I have some time to do 3d again.

started working on some motoko kusanagi fanart. might be slightly nsfw, do I need a spoiler tag for this?

vsoAi5J.png

redlemon

Finished the Draw a Box lesson and I really got a lot out of them.

Does anyone have any recommendations on online lessons that follow the same lesson-assignment format?

Top Bottom