• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Art Self Study |OT| Putting the Fun in Art Fundamentals

DrBo42

last few months have been busy, finally I have some time to do 3d again.

started working on some motoko kusanagi fanart. might be slightly nsfw, do I need a spoiler tag for this?

vsoAi5J.png

Looks good. Legs are too long though. Looks like you went for 8 heads but I wouldn't recommend it on that character, she's not that tall in the source material. She's probably 6.5 - 7.

vityaz

Is there a general art thread or something like that? For example, I'd love to see what kind of art GAFers have in their homes (only aware of the sword and tits guy...).

Finished it up, do the proportions look okay? I fixed them from the previous version. Its for a portfolio so i wanna make sure nothing looks off.
K8SfB7z.png

this is what I am working on
CfJb5OdW8AAZglQ.jpg

I am now on eBay trying to buy old Haitian Paper currency called Gourdes they don't use them in Haiti anymore but I'm going to cut the money into leaves-shapes

I just ran out of cash for the month I'll have to wait until next month for the nice orange $5 Gourdes
these would only make like 4 leaves but I want them

Skinpop

Looks good. Legs are too long though. Looks like you went for 8 heads but I wouldn't recommend it on that character, she's not that tall in the source material. She's probably 6.5 - 7.

I'm going for something in-between the manga version and the SAC stuff instead of the more realistic movie version - and those have pretty long legs especially manga motoko. I wanted to do the manga version 100% but her face just doesn't translate to 3d. Might be they are still too long though, will have to adjust once boots and clothes are ready.

Hair and clothes are placeholders.

DrBo42

I'm going for something in-between the manga version and the SAC stuff instead of the more realistic movie version - and those have pretty long legs especially manga motoko. I wanted to do the manga version 100% but her face just doesn't translate to 3d. Might be they are still too long though, will have to adjust once boots and clothes are ready.

Hair and clothes are placeholders.

I see what you're saying. In that version it's the opposite setup to what you have in that the length from hip to knee is longer than knee to foot. Although the measurements aren't the same for both legs. Can't say I'm a fan of the artists' proportions but you're on the right track for that version for sure.

Oberon

Banned
I always had difficutly coming up with my own characters. I always feel like they either seem to generic or too "try hard". I know that not everything has be 100% orginal ( I know that there's no such thing), but it is really important to make someone look somewhat interesting. I've ordered the book Imaginative Realism by James Gurney from amazon. It might not be exacltly what I was looking for, but it would probably help me in that matter. ( and adding that book to my library can't hurt either way)

LegendX48

Started something new and I'm having a hell of a time trying to figure out how to shade cloth. How exactly do you shade something like, say, a plain dress?

DEATH™

Started something new and I'm having a hell of a time trying to figure out how to shade cloth. How exactly do you shade something like, say, a plain dress?

The theory behind it was shading the primary folds first (the limbs/waist for example) then shading the folds. Someone though can better illustrate it for me lol.

Speaking of folds, trying to learn how to shade right now...

Feedback pls!

This thread often reminds me I should read my art books. I need to get better about my bad habits and drawing biases and go over fundamentals every now and then.

Hi there ArtGAF!

I'm just a frustrated artist wannabe. But lately I've been forcing myself to draw and finish my drawings as much as possible. Everyday I am trying to at least do some doodles on a piece of paper.

Here are my latest pieces. Please, feel free to criticize and comment. I am eager to improve and develop my style.

tumblr_o57yrdN7cN1vq73bpo1_1280.png

tumblr_o540atHvnQ1vq73bpo1_1280.png

tumblr_o59izsEqv11vq73bpo1_1280.jpg

MJM64iu.png

Interfectum

Very good drawings! I'm not even close to that level yet! If I had any big critique it would be on the first and fourth images in regards to the hands. They seem off to me, almost squished or malformed.

Oberon

Banned
DEATH™;201083222 said:
Feedback pls! Warming up sketch again before I draw something for the challenge

I'll try with my modest knowledge.
I'll use Andrew Loomis as my reference here, and his book about heads and hands
iksC3Wk.png

I think their nose may start a bit too high. Thus the chin looks too big in proportion to the length of the nose.The one on the bottoms has her eyes a bit too close to each other (or the eyes are too big), because the distance between them isn't an eye's length. I am not sure, but think one the left should have a bigger head. I mean, if you take the hair thickness in account, it should look a bit bigger.
Hopefully I was clear, and I hope it was helpful.

Don't know if this has been mentioned or if applies everywhere but Sams was having a sale on prisma premier pencils. Got a 36 set for around 22 bucks

redlemon

I bought a schoolism subscription since I wasn't doing much since finishing the lessons on drawabox.com.

I started the Digital painting with Andrew Hou and finding it helpful especially since it included critique videos of other students.

Heres what I've done for the first submisson so far.
x74FDEc.jpg

DrBo42

Update on Gal. Likeness is still super rough, blocked out some hair to help with shaping etc. I need to start doing that earlier or I just need to save out a proper base model for females. Still some very basic problems with the face. Haven't been in Zbrush or done anything creative in a while, really need to be better about that.

Edit: Quick reshape.

So I've been trying to get back into drawing, little by little, and I've always be intrigued by drawings that use Copic markers. The colors and values look amazing, but I also know that comes with a lot of practice, not to mention Copic markers aren't cheap. But even as I think about picking them up someday, I've wanted to ask recently if anyone her knows of a good tutorial for using Copic or Markers in generals, at least for future reference/consideration.

SaintR

Hey everyone, great thread! So my mother in law is a classically trained oil painting art teacher but this semester she wants to change things up and teach manga drawing to her kids!

Any recommendations for books she can use as guides for her kids besides the ones in the OP? Keep in mind this is for children so it'd probably be mostly animals and cute children drawings instead of the hot girls in mini skirts drawings. Any advice if appreciate!

DEATH™

So I've been trying to get back into drawing, little by little, and I've always be intrigued by drawings that use Copic markers. The colors and values look amazing, but I also know that comes with a lot of practice, not to mention Copic markers aren't cheap. But even as I think about picking them up someday, I've wanted to ask recently if anyone her knows of a good tutorial for using Copic or Markers in generals, at least for future reference/consideration.

Many Manga Books cover markers alot since they are pretty much standard for manga coloring (aside watercolor). The Complete Guide to Drawing Manga by 3D total covers them overall in one of the traditional workflow tutorials, but it wont replace actually buying it and trying it for yourself.

Just remember that every stroke will lower the value and boost the chroma of the color in every stroke. Sounds too simple but you need to always remember that because you cannot really erase what you put down on the paper. Think of what colors you want to put there and how you will put it before you do it. Or better yet, just try and experiment and be comfortable with it.

Hey everyone, great thread! So my mother in law is a classically trained oil painting art teacher but this semester she wants to change things up and teach manga drawing to her kids!

Any recommendations for books she can use as guides for her kids besides the ones in the OP? Keep in mind this is for children so it'd probably be mostly animals and cute children drawings instead of the hot girls in mini skirts drawings. Any advice if appreciate!

Books? I have nothing to recommend immeaditely in mind, but overall, look for manga books/tutorials that teach how to draw chibi characters. I guess the problem is actually finding good ones that is in english. Many of the high-quality modern how to draw manga books around are written natively in japanese unfortunately...

Keihart

DEATH™;201849419 said:
Many Manga Books cover markers alot since they are pretty much standard for manga coloring (aside watercolor). The Complete Guide to Drawing Manga by 3D total covers them overall in one of the traditional workflow tutorials, but it wont replace actually buying it and trying it for yourself.

Just remember that every stroke will lower the value and boost the chroma of the color in every stroke. Sounds too simple but you need to always remember that because you cannot really erase what you put down on the paper. Think of what colors you want to put there and how you will put it before you do it. Or better yet, just try and experiment and be comfortable with it.

Books? I have nothing to recommend immeaditely in mind, but overall, look for manga books/tutorials that teach how to draw chibi characters. I guess the problem is actually finding good ones that is in english. Many of the high-quality modern how to draw manga books around are written natively in japanese unfortunately...

You can kinda erase or at leas make it a lot less saturated with the colorless blender "0". Besides that tip i got nothing, i'm not particulary good at using them but i do find them very intuitive to use.

Spinluck

this is what I am working on
CfJb5OdW8AAZglQ.jpg

I am now on eBay trying to buy old Haitian Paper currency called Gourdes they don't use them in Haiti anymore but I'm going to cut the money into leaves-shapes

I just ran out of cash for the month I'll have to wait until next month for the nice orange $5 Gourdes

these would only make like 4 leaves but I want them

This is amazing.

Actually reminds me of a little bit of an art/brochure I had about the arts&crafts in Haiti and whatnot. Something you don't hear much about.

LegendX48

Have I ever told you guys how much I hate doing environments? So much math!

Those are a lot of books listed in the OP. Any suggestions on what might be helpful to start with for an absolute beginner?

I'd go with that Loomis book on the head and the hands. I'd also recommend Mark Crilley's how to draw videos on youtube. He primarily does manga stuff but what he shows you in those videos applies to everything as its pretty much fundamentals iirc. His stuff helped me immensely way back.

Zushin

Never ever been any good at drawing but this thread has inspired me to do some study any hopefully improve! I'd always thought that drawing was something that you were born with the ability to do, but looks like it's learnable like learning to play the guitar etc.

LegendX48

I wish art books were fun to read through. Picked up the Head and hands book by Loomis and it was like reading a text book. Then again, I was already drowsy when I started looking through it >.>

Anywho... I feel like, now that I've been drawing more frequently, that I've been regressing instead of improving @_@

Never ever been any good at drawing but this thread has inspired me to do some study any hopefully improve! I'd always thought that drawing was something that you were born with the ability to do, but looks like it's learnable like learning to play the guitar etc.

Nah, it's always been something that everyone can learn (generally speaking, I've heard that super left brained people can't). Everyone starts at different levels but everyone can improve.

DEATH™

Sorry, haven't been posting here in a while... Since my sem's over and a project out of the way, I wanna focus back on improving while I have the summer break. Here's some of my digital sketches over that span...

I need to askfor feedback and/or tips on the last one, as right now I'm a bit struggling with shading the figure overall... Things start to click and all of a sudden a new problem arise. I feel like even when I know each muscle and bones by heart now I am still having problems with shading, especially what values and edges to use...

LegendX48

so I thought I'd do one of those "draw it again" images for the heck of it, midway into a sketch, so here's how it turned out:

The thing that really blows me away is that the 2016 version is from this week and, not only is it a big jump from 2012, but it's a big jump from last month too. For example, here's a sketch of the same character from May 18th:

That Andrew Loomis book on the head and hands is magical lol

DEATH™;205881271 said:
Sorry, haven't been posting here in a while... Since my sem's over and a project out of the way, I wanna focus back on improving while I have the summer break. Here's some of my digital sketches over that span...

I need to askfor feedback and/or tips on the last one, as right now I'm a bit struggling with shading the figure overall... Things start to click and all of a sudden a new problem arise. I feel like even when I know each muscle and bones by heart now I am still having problems with shading, especially what values and edges to use...

I'm not a good judge of shading as I struggle with it myself but I think the final image is mostly good with the shading. I'm on my laptop right now so I can't judge the values that well but it looks like it is missing the highlights and the brighter tones in general. I only see two, maybe three tones with the lightest appearing to be more of a midtone and no core shadows.

DEATH™

so I thought I'd do one of those "draw it again" images for the heck of it, midway into a sketch, so here's how it turned out:

The thing that really blows me away is that the 2016 version is from this week and, not only is it a big jump from 2012, but it's a big jump from last month too. For example, here's a sketch of the same character from May 18th:

That Andrew Loomis book on the head and hands is magical lol

I'm not a good judge of shading as I struggle with it myself but I think the final image is mostly good with the shading. I'm on my laptop right now so I can't judge the values that well but it looks like it is missing the highlights and the brighter tones in general. I only see two, maybe three tones with the lightest appearing to be more of a midtone and no core shadows.

That's kinda my dilemma though. If I add too much contrast, the whole thing looks like it's made of metal. So it's still something I have to figure out...

Anyway, another one! Feedback please!

Monocle

Today I learned that the awesome guys at Foundation Patreon will give you feedback on old assignments. So it looks like I didn't miss out after all.

Anyone who still needs training in fundamental skills (like me) should give them look. Quality lessons from ridiculously good Art Center grads.

LegendX48

So, I recently got a wacom cintiq 22HD (which I'm gonna be paying off for like the next 8 months >.>) and I've had it for about a week so far. Wow, this thing is infinitely superior to an intuos pro. It's also retarded how expensive these things are as it's literally the exact same tech just on a screen. But yeah, the fact that it removes that disconnect and you can just sit down and draw is a godsend. It's not quite up there with good ol' pencil and paper but it is definitely the best way to go about digital art in my opinion.

DEATH™

So, I recently got a wacom cintiq 22HD (which I'm gonna be paying off for like the next 8 months >.>) and I've had it for about a week so far. Wow, this thing is infinitely superior to an intuos pro. It's also retarded how expensive these things are as it's literally the exact same tech just on a screen. But yeah, the fact that it removes that disconnect and you can just sit down and draw is a godsend. It's not quite up there with good ol' pencil and paper but it is definitely the best way to go about digital art in my opinion.

Yooo I'm so jelly.

You got a machine that you can pretty much own forever. At that point its only a matter of mastering your software of choice. (And your fundamentals of course).

EDIT Also you might want to buy one of these.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VTHAS00/?tag=neogaf0e-20

That is pretty important especially when using shoulder strokes. Your hand can get sticky and thats enough to screw up your line quality.

LegendX48

DEATH™;210934872 said:
Yooo I'm so jelly.

You got a machine that you can pretty much own forever. At that point its only a matter of mastering your software of choice. (And your fundamentals of course).

EDIT Also you might want to buy one of these.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VTHAS00/?tag=neogaf0e-20

That is pretty important especially when using shoulder strokes. Your hand can get sticky and thats enough to screw up your line quality.

I've been thinking about getting one, especially since the screen gets pretty dang warm to the touch. Think it makes my hand a little sweaty lol

But that reminds me of another thing I really like about this thing over a standard tablet, I actually can use my shoulder and elbow. It was simply impossible on my intuos pro.

Spinluck

Not sure I agree with this, but apparently Andrew Lumis might be a bit dated if you're practicing drawing humans.

All his stuff still seems great to me, is there something I'm missing?

DEATH™

I've been thinking about getting one, especially since the screen gets pretty dang warm to the touch. Think it makes my hand a little sweaty lol

But that reminds me of another thing I really like about this thing over a standard tablet, I actually can use my shoulder and elbow. It was simply impossible on my intuos pro.

Yeah, being able to use your elbow matters ALOT. Buying a big cintiq is like a future wishlist for me.

Enjoy man!

Not sure I agree with this, but apparently Andrew Lumis might be a bit dated if you're practicing drawing humans.

All his stuff still seems great to me, is there something I'm missing?

It teaches great basics but it is a bit dated if you go farther. First, he assumes that the highlight will always happen on the plane directly facing the lightsource (on diffused reflection (matte) it does, but not the case on specular reflection (shiny objects)).

Secondly, because of the first point, he thinks that the terminator/core shadow has the most saturation of color in the form. This can happen on skin when you consider subsurface scattering, but on other else, it is false. You can still use it as a compositional trick though due to contrast of saturation.

Third, if you rely on Figure drawing for all its worth for your anatomy knowledge, you are screwed.

For what he provides, his books is still invaluable but you need other books to correct some of the thing he mentions.

DrBo42

I managed to delete every single zbrush project and model I've ever made last night. Couldn't recover it. Started rebuilding Superman. I'm kinda crushed.

This was the latest progress on it

qeXWYNO.jpg

This is from tonight's session (2 hours)

Q611sLm.jpg

I guess it's extra practice but fuck...

Spinluck

Any good Clip Studio tutorials, I'm an absolute noob to the program. Feels really snappy though, I've mostly just been messing around with it.

DEATH™;211040784 said:
It teaches great basics but it is a bit dated if you go farther. First, he assumes that the highlight will always happen on the plane directly facing the lightsource (on diffused reflection (matte) it does, but not the case on specular reflection (shiny objects)).

Secondly, because of the first point, he thinks that the terminator/core shadow has the most saturation of color in the form. This can happen on skin when you consider subsurface scattering, but on other else, it is false. You can still use it as a compositional trick though due to contrast of saturation.

Third, if you rely on Figure drawing for all its worth for your anatomy knowledge, you are screwed.

For what he provides, his books is still invaluable but you need other books to correct some of the thing he mentions.

Wow, thank you for this.

I still own quite a few of his books, but on a technical level I can see some of the flaws in some of those teachings. Drawing from life is still the best for anatomies sake and understanding lighting, but I like looking up his stuff to learn ins and outs, and some tricks.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Any good Clip Studio tutorials, I'm an absolute noob to the program. Feels really snappy though, I've mostly just been messing around with it.

The tutorials on the Clip Studio website are pretty helpful:

http://www.clipstudio.net/en/howto (scroll towards the bottom)

Additionally, be sure to download all of the manuals, such as the Startup Guide, the User Guide, and the Tool Setting Guide, as they all have extremely useful information about the program, along with their best applications, and step by step explanations. Probably the best included documentation for any kind of program like this.

http://www.clipstudio.net/en/dl

To be honest with you, I learned how to use the program entirely by keeping the guides on hand, and searching for what I wanted to learn as I used it.

Does anybody have any good video tutorials for learning the foundations of drawing? I've been finding that my art has stagnated to the point where I seem to be stuck only drawing certain types of thing (bodies & faces) while failing to draw much else beyond that (and even then I don't even think I'm particularly good at faces and bodies.) . I was self taught for the most part, but my biggest problem was that I never learned the foundations of drawing. It doesn't just have to be video tutorials it can also be something I'd have to pay money for as well.

DEATH™

Does anybody have any good video tutorials for learning the foundations of drawing? I've been finding that my art has stagnated to the point where I seem to be stuck only drawing certain types of thing (bodies & faces) while failing to draw much else beyond that (and even then I don't even think I'm particularly good at faces and bodies.) . I was self taught for the most part, but my biggest problem was that I never learned the foundations of drawing. It doesn't just have to be video tutorials it can also be something I'd have to pay money for as well.

Can you post any of your drawings? Will like to know where you are at so we could lead you to a video course that you might need, assuming you already know a bit of portrait and figure drawing.

At the same time though, it won't hurt to study perspective and color theory. Scott Robertson's books are helpful, along with James Gurney's books. Another thing you want to do is continued gesture drawing everyday. You can go to Croquis Cafe Youtube channel, or get some model pics and get this app.

https://cubebrush.co/advanches/products/d9q6yq
I managed to delete every single zbrush project and model I've ever made last night. Couldn't recover it. Started rebuilding Superman. I'm kinda crushed.

This was the latest progress on it

qeXWYNO.jpg

This is from tonight's session (2 hours)

Q611sLm.jpg

I guess it's extra practice but fuck...

Although it is frustrating, it can make you more efficient in the future as you improve your workflow.

Also, keep it up! Continue the anatomy studies man!

Top Bottom