• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

As Irma Approaches, Tell GAF How It Makes You Tingle

creatchee

I'm in Sarasota, Florida. While we're not bracing for a direct hit from Irma, we're still in a potentially dangerous situation. I've made all physical preparations I can make, but there are still others that we usually don't think of. I'm not a gloom and doom person, but I've heard a lot of people over the years lament the fact that they never had a chance to tell somebody how much they loved them, appreciated them, or even simply to say goodbye. I figured that there might be some cathartic effect for those of us in the danger zones if we were to share some favorite moments, threads, people, feelings etc. that have come from our time here.

Before GAF, I had slummed it up at N4G for my online video game discussion. After a while, the fanboy wars atmosphere got to be too much and I needed change. I somehow happened upon GAF and started lurking. The discussions were typically way more civil and varied in nature, the news wasn't all clickbait, and there was a robust off topic section. Eventually, I sucked it up and started the membership approval process. I've enjoyed my time here ever since.

Whether I agree or disagree with a poster here, there is usually a sense of "this person has at least thought out their opinion" that you don't see everywhere. Obviously that's not always the case. But I would argue that you get it here more than any other similar sites.

I also like the often unspoken family aspect of this place - even with the people that can't stand each other. Many GAFers wear their membership on their sleeves, and it's kinda cool to meet one either in real life or somewhere else on the internet. "Oh you GAF? We're fam." Basically.

My favorite thread will always be Blame Space's Groupon TV Adventure.

Anyway, in case I don't make it, just know that this is my favorite internet destination and that I love you people and the times we have, whether we're reminiscing over games or movies, arguing over politics and social issues, or just communicating in general as people. I hope for many more in the future. For anybody in the path of this storm and any other ones in the future, know that I'm thinking about you and hoping for the best.

Much love to all. Stay safe.

Sarasota as well. If Irma takes me, I thank GAF for the UK butter and cheese sandwich thread. At least as I'm dying I'll know that Europeans have bad taste in food.

The calm before the storm is nerve wrecking

Orlando here. My house is fairly new, and I had my oak trees trimmed in June.

So, we're hunkering down and hoping for the best.

Lkr

The calm before the storm is nerve wrecking

Orlando here. My house is fairly new, and I had my oak trees trimmed in June.

So, we're hunkering down and hoping for the best.
Orlando as well. I rode out Charley in a brand new house in 04 and there was a lot of damage in our area of Orange County but we just lost a few shingles on the roof. I was scared shitless as a kid and it's the scariest storm I've been through.
I stocked up on food and I'm just riding it out. I live in a strict HOA neighborhood so everyone's trees are nice and trimmed. The house I'm renting isn't too old and survived charley. My landlord said they might come out to put up shutters tomorrow but I don't know if that will happen. I'm confident I'll survive. Whether I lose shit or go without power for a few weeks, that's a blessing compared to what others will go through and that's what I have to keep reminding myself.

Orlando here. Waiting is the game now. Prepared as much as possible. Hopefully the entire thing just loses a ton of energy and we are left with a Tropical Storm.

I joined GAF after being part of Serebii Forums and enjoyed talking about games, manga and anime with tons of people. Along with the occasional political news.

My home is basically the Dragon Ball Dokkan Battle OT and thats like 90% of my posts on this site lol.

Here is hopeing for 1000s of more posts being salty about pulls and shit.

creatchee

It's already hit. Many islands have already been hit.

Apologies if I made it sound like I was not including those already affected... I was mainly putting this out there for people who were in the path and not experiencing the storm just yet. I can't imagine what the people who have been struck by Irma are going through. Pictures and videos and stories will never be a substitute for desperation and loss.I hope that they find relief soon, in any way that it is still possible.

Meohsix

My home is basically the Dragon Ball Dokkan Battle OT and thats like 90% of my posts on this site lol.

Here is hopeing for 1000s of more posts being salty about pulls and shit.

I am so legit pissed that I'll probably be without power for days and wont be able to keep my Dokkan consecutive login bonus going. 😡

LakeEarth

I'm watching it closely. I am going to Orlando mid-October, so I am interested to know how bad it gets hit.

Luckily, my only family down there moved to California a few months back.

Orlando here as well. Grew up in South Florida so have a ton of family and friends down there still. Moved up here about a year ago.

The calm before the storm is nerve-wracking. I am not looking forward to no power and clean up after the storm leaves.

But for those of us who have toughed out storms in the past; we can do it again.

Top Bottom