• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asian-GAF: We're all the same, like Stormtroopers |OT| |AT|

cdyhybrid

Well.... We both learned: to not touch hot peppers without gloves!

I'm usually very good with not touching anything on my face when handling peppers, but yesterday...... Was my first time that hot peppers made my left hand burn! It also doesn't help that to make hot sauce, well, you are going to need to COOK them! So I, being the dumbass that I am, poured the boiling hot peppers into my blender and a few moments later: WHY IS MY LEFT HAND BURNING?!?!!!

Never again.

I'm glad that more and more Asian dudes are getting into sports (Murican Football and Basketball). Goes to show that we aren't just the scrawny geeky dudes (well..... Lin plays alot of LoL so.....). Are there any Asians in Hockey per chance? I know that there are tons(?) of Asian dudes in Baseball, correct?

Anecdotal, but man do Hmong folks love football and basketball lol. From flag to tackle football to street ball. They love it.
Yeah, there are Koreans, Japanese, and a few Filipinos I think. Over the years, at least.

Izuna

Banned
That feel when...

You find out you are intolerant to Soy and a whole lot of shit starts to make sense. Like feeling fatigued after Sushi etc.

How do people in Asia survive with G6PDD?

cdyhybrid

For my fantasy league, I drafted Younghoe Koo, rookie kicker for the LA Chargers, just to fight the good fight.

Sadly he isn't doing too well. XD

His team is letting him down.

Or,

ernxOMV.png

Izuna

Banned
Is $30 a day for food enough in California, San Jose?

Decided to take my holiday money and pay all past monies owed and go Tokyo for Halloween, so now I have to actually budget properly.

All I know is that I got accommodation free, so I'm wondering for 2 weeks £800 is more than enough.

zeemumu

Is $30 a day for food enough in California, San Jose?

Decided to take my holiday money and pay all past monies owed and go Tokyo for Halloween, so now I have to actually budget properly.

All I know is that I got accommodation free, so I'm wondering for 2 weeks £800 is more than enough.

Uhh, depends on where you want to go. If you're gonna be eating fast food a majority of the time then sure. But if you're gonna be sitting down and eating at restaurants for each of those meals then you'll need a little more. I spend between $10-$20 for a meal at a restaurant if it's just me, $30 if it's sushi. But I eat like a living garbage disposal when it comes to sushi so, grain of salt.

Izuna

Banned
Uhh, depends on where you want to go. If you're gonna be eating fast food a majority of the time then sure. But if you're gonna be sitting down and eating at restaurants for each of those meals then you'll need a little more. I spend between $10-$20 for a meal at a restaurant if it's just me, $30 if it's sushi. But I eat like a living garbage disposal when it comes to sushi so, grain of salt.

So the idea is that I'm expecting to be treated a couple times but I want to prepare as if I won't be, at least so I can pay if the vibe requires it.

Supposedly we're going on a day trip to SF and Vegas, and we won't be gambling but I'd like to eat out/go on rides if they exist.

Hmm... If only £ wasn't so shit rn.

zeemumu

So the idea is that I'm expecting to be treated a couple times but I want to prepare as if I won't be, at least so I can pay if the vibe requires it.

Supposedly we're going on a day trip to SF and Vegas, and we won't be gambling but I'd like to eat out/go on rides if they exist.

Hmm... If only £ wasn't so shit rn.

Unless you plan on eating once each day I don't think $30 is enough to cover multiple people's bills, especially not in SF and Vegas, unless you go to like a Vegas buffet with a deal.

Izuna

Banned
Unless you plan on eating once each day I don't think $30 is enough to cover multiple people's bills, especially not in SF and Vegas, unless you go to like a Vegas buffet with a deal.

It will just be for me, but point taken, I think 50 a day sounds far more reasonable. Now I am considering shortening the holiday.

zeemumu

It will just be for me, but point taken, I think 50 a day sounds far more reasonable. Now I am considering shortening the holiday.

It's just that SF is a generally very expensive place to hang out (or live), and Vegas is known for being a massive money drain. Which hotel ya staying at?

Izuna

Banned
It's just that SF is a generally very expensive place to hang out (or live), and Vegas is known for being a massive money drain. Which hotel ya staying at?

It'll be some home in San Jose, I'm expecting hotel arrangements aren't something to worry about. Nor travel, for that matter.

The solution to all of this might have been the small personal loan I took from my bank, but I dunno how that's gunna go.

Actually, is SF a good play to try out Asian food? I don't know what to expect out of America and I constantly visit Japan and have a good place here in Manchester anyway, but maybe there's something I should look up.

I dunno, Sushi Pizza? You guys have that stuff right?

zeemumu

It'll be some home in San Jose, I'm expecting hotel arrangements aren't something to worry about. Nor travel, for that matter.

The solution to all of this might have been the small personal loan I took from my bank, but I dunno how that's gunna go.

Actually, is SF a good play to try out Asian food? I don't know what to expect out of America and I constantly visit Japan and have a good place here in Manchester anyway, but maybe there's something I should look up.

We have sushi pizza in the states, yeah. I don't expect it to be common. But my sushi picks are limited to Socal.

Izuna

Banned
We have sushi pizza in the states, yeah. I don't expect it to be common. But my sushi picks are limited to Socal.

Well I wasn't serious about Sushi Pizza, I think I saw that in Kitchen Nightmares haha.

Maybe I'll see what Chinese food is like in Cali.

Oh, is Socal southern california?

Izuna

Banned
Congratulations :D

-

So apparently there's a Chinese place in San José that the family I'll stay with orders from. I'll keep my expectations low. Manchester has some of the best Chinese food I've ever tasted.

Ashhong

SF is a great place for Asian food. I only visited once and didn't go to too many "authentic" type places, but the places I did go to were great. There's a Chinese place with fried chicken that's like crack it's so good. I need to remember what it's called

Also, 50$ is not going to be anywhere near enough in Vegas. A buffet alone is more than that, and most of the places you actually want to eat out there are pretty expensive. You can maybe get by with that in SF, but the more the better

Izuna

Banned
Good thing I got my money right, good news came today. I'm sure Vegas will be a day trip so, I am expecting to spend up to $200 max there. Important thing is that I don't gamble so it's all sightseeing for me.

What is this in and out burger I keep hearing about? I'm very fussy about the Burgers I eat, so is it legit or is it lame like Five Guys?

Ashhong

San Tung?

That was the raved about place some years back.

That was the one. I didn't believe it at first but damn that chicken is great. They had like a B grade and I know multiple people that got sick there though lol.

Good thing I got my money right, good news came today. I'm sure Vegas will be a day trip so, I am expecting to spend up to $200 max there. Important thing is that I don't gamble so it's all sightseeing for me.

What is this in and out burger I keep hearing about? I'm very fussy about the Burgers I eat, so is it legit or is it lame like Five Guys?

$200 max sounds good to me, more than enough.

In N Out is like the Southern California staple. It's good, but I wouldn't go out of your way to find it. I think there's one in Vegas too now. If you thought Five Guys was lame or disappointing you probably won't care much for INO

Izuna

Banned
In N Out is like the Southern California staple. It's good, but I wouldn't go out of your way to find it. I think there's one in Vegas too now. If you thought Five Guys was lame or disappointing you probably won't care much for INO

In which case, I'm gunna try hunt a legit burger place. Might have to do some searching.

We have this one place in London that talked about being inspired by US Burgers so I'm excited to find out what it is emulating.

A good medium rare patty, no sauce required etc.

Ashhong

In which case, I'm gunna try hunt a legit burger place. Might have to do some searching.

We have this one place in London that talked about being inspired by US Burgers so I'm excited to find out what it is emulating.

A good medium rare patty, no sauce required etc.

That's interesting, didn't follow the conversation and thought you were from the US already. You could try Burgr in Vegas. It's Gordon Ramsey's burger place. I'm not sure what the food in London is like, but if you see an In N Out, go ahead and give it a try. It's simple and cheap. Perfect for us Americans

Congrats Septimus Prime! May you have some good food coming your way!

-

So apparently there's a Chinese place in San José that the family I'll stay with orders from. I'll keep my expectations low. Manchester has some of the best Chinese food I've ever tasted.
Grats septie!!!
Congrats!
What is that?

Congratulations! :)
Thanks!

It's the Project Management Professional certification. It's supposed to be pretty valuable.

Izuna

Banned
That's interesting, didn't follow the conversation and thought you were from the US already. You could try Burgr in Vegas. It's Gordon Ramsey's burger place. I'm not sure what the food in London is like, but if you see an In N Out, go ahead and give it a try. It's simple and cheap. Perfect for us Americans

Ooh, I'll check Burgr out. I like Ramsay's London Restaurants so it'll be interesting to see if the quality is consistent in the US.

I can't wait. I got a holiday before going to the US and all my excitement is exclusive to the latter. Hope I don't freak out at the sight of guns, tho.

Ashhong

Where is the best place to meet new people nowadays? Specifically asian women in California? I just got out of a relationship and it's been a while. There's of course bars and such but I'm pretty shy and it's hard to meet new people that way. I used to use Okcupid back in the day. Is that still relevant? or other dating apps like East Meet East?

Izuna

Banned
OkCupid, at least in the UK, has basically become Tumblr dating within a year. I dunno how it is in Cali but at the very least it's useless.

I can also say that the Chinese/SK Uni students are never on Tinder etc. in Manchester.

I know I'm not being helpful, just venting a little.

Ashhong

Yea what is tumblr dating? I see some Asians on Tindr but it's rare. I just want to find a nice asian american girl who likes raves. This should be easy!

Izuna

Banned
Yea what is tumblr dating? I see some Asians on Tindr but it's rare. I just want to find a nice asian american girl who likes raves. This should be easy!

Like, in London you can find almost any type (if there are a finite number of types) but not up North ;(

--

I would say, try Bumble BFF. Friend someone who is in a big group then meet people on a night out.

CoffeeMeetsBagel.

Whoa, wait a second, what is this?

*downloads*

EDIT: so this app is amazing. woop

dohdough

-

San Jose has some great restaurants along the strip malls. The freshness of the veggies is really tough to beat anywhere else.

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of SF or NYC Chinese food, but it's probably because I'm too used to Boston's Chinese style. On the otherhand, some of the best I've had was in the OC.

Izuna

Banned
I can't find an answer easily, but when I order "Beef Filet in Cantonese Sauce" what's the proper name for it? Or rather, the Chinese name.

Izuna

Banned
Bae didn't like purple haze after all

She kinda did. She did end up telling me that one Chanel lipstick would have been better than everything I bought but eh.

That thread gave us new inside jokes https://imgur.com/a/BxDAd (but no1curr so no MORE)

But I'm really just looking for BFFs. People to eat with. One cliché about English people is that... English food sucks, and people generally don't give a shit.

Izuna

Banned
Zhong sic ngow lao

Yay, thank you :D

Edit: damn, doesn't come up with any results written that way. I'm just worried that in the US it has a different name and I won't know what it is.

Its generally ground pork with black bean sauce and occasionally with egg drop. VERY tasty.

That sounds amazing. I'm not sure if we can find lobster in Chinese restaurants here. I might see if I can order it when I go to the US.

Top Bottom