• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asian-GAF: We're all the same, like Stormtroopers |OT| |AT|

Zoe

There's a korean/american fusion joint called LA Burger in Dallas. Even though the name has "LA" in it, I don't know if there are any locations there. I just know it's inspired by the Korean/Mexican fusion truck scene in LA.

Anyways, that place is so good. Bulgogi burger with fried eggs and kimchi fries.

Are the bulgogi burgers bulgogi meat on a burger bun or a bulgogi-flavored hamburger?

I was honestly a little disappointed to get the former at Burger Tex...

Ooh, yeah. I recently learned an amazing recipe for rice (not that one where you put the tomato in your rice cooker). Mix brown rice, sweet (sticky or glutinous) rice, and Calrose rice together. I'd say maybe 30% brown, 20% sweet, and 50% Calrose. I also put a little quinoa in there, but that doesn't add to or subtract from anything. In your rice cooker (if you have an Instant Pot, use the Multi-Grain preset), put in a ratio of 2:1 water:rice.

Toki767

What kind of rice do you Filipinos use? We only ever buy Japanese rice, and it's just not right with the few Filipino things I can make :\

My mom only ever buys the Dragonfly Jasmine Rice. Not sure why though. Maybe cause it's the cheaper one.

I'll be making samosa's for a December potluck but I'm thinking of adding some southeast asian inspiration.

For the potatoes, I plan to cook them in basically a vietnamese curry which would be composed of coconut milk, some water, fish sauce, lemon grass, and vietnamese curry powder. After the potatoes are softened, I'll drain, then cook basically fry and dry it in a medium low pan. I'll season with standard Indian ingredients, I'll include peas which is also traditional, but I'll also add a little bit of chopped cilantro.

I considered using a rice paper or egg roll wrap, but I think the standard flour samosa wrapping will retain its crispness longer. For a dip, I won't bring in nuoc mam cham. Instead, I'll make a simple green chutney. I'm considering sprinkling a little tom yum powder on top of the cooked samosa for extra complexity.

If anyone has any good ideas to help improve the dish please share!

jercruz

What kind of rice do you Filipinos use? We only ever buy Japanese rice, and it's just not right with the few Filipino things I can make :

Here in Sydney, we use all... Jasmine, calrose, long, brown, etc. Whatever is on special :D

Maybe not so much sticky, that's for desserts.

Esch

Banned
this thread is so food oriented lol

Anyway a family friend randomly decided to gift me with like... a half weeks worth of palak paneer, some chicken tikka masala, home grown habaneros, and a beautiful chicken biryani.

Gonna eat
MztGmDl.png

Kevyt

I'll be making samosa's for a December potluck but I'm thinking of adding some southeast asian inspiration.

For the potatoes, I plan to cook them in basically a vietnamese curry which would be composed of coconut milk, some water, fish sauce, lemon grass, and vietnamese curry powder. After the potatoes are softened, I'll drain, then cook basically fry and dry it in a medium low pan. I'll season with standard Indian ingredients, I'll include peas which is also traditional, but I'll also add a little bit of chopped cilantro.

I considered using a rice paper or egg roll wrap, but I think the standard flour samosa wrapping will retain its crispness longer. For a dip, I won't bring in nuoc mam cham. Instead, I'll make a simple green chutney. I'm considering sprinkling a little tom yum powder on top of the cooked samosa for extra complexity.

If anyone has any good ideas to help improve the dish please share!

That sounds delicious! I think your dish is already great that it doesn't need much improvement. I used to eat samosas with lentils. The lentils had a curry like taste and eating them with Samosas was amazing.

Zoe

That sounds delicious! I think your dish is already great that it doesn't need much improvement. I used to eat samosas with lentils. The lentils had a curry like taste and eating them with Samosas was amazing.

That reminds me of the lentil sambusas I had at an Ethiopian restaurant. I thought I would prefer the beef variety, but the lentils tasted so good.

mr.rager

I accidentally clicked on this thread. I'm not Filipino but I live with a one and very close friends of the family are Filipino. The food is amazing. When ever some has a birthday it's always fun.

There's nothing quite like a Filipino fam jam, gambling, good food and karaoke all night.

C'mon man, fast food don't count. ;P

But it's soooo good man. Jollibee is finally opening up it's first store up here in Canada next year, can't fucking wait for some Chicken Joy, rice and spaghetti.

I've always wanted to try this. I keep the Philippines No Reservations episode on my DVR because of this

Best pork in the world according to Anthony Bourdain! That episode was great, was literally drooling when I saw them cooking it at the end.

What kind of rice do you Filipinos use? We only ever buy Japanese rice, and it's just not right with the few Filipino things I can make :\

My family always uses some Chinese branded Jasmine rice. Probably cause it's the cheapest lol

As much as I love Asian food, I'm terrible at cooking it. Oddly enough, I tend to make really American food (pasta, baked stuff, grilled stuff, baked goods, etc).

I can cook rice, though. So, yay?

I can't cook at all other than rice and egg. Gf can't cook much either. My gf and I rely on her sister and my family to make the food lol We really should learn to cook...

suzu

I mostly cook non-Asian dishes. One of these days I'll have to jot down my family's favorite recipes and have a go at them.

I'm not sure if this is frowned upon for this thread, but there's a decent sized Asian community near where I live so there's a Chinese supermarket and, from what I can tell, a Korean supermarket. They both have a lot of things from other regions such as japan and other places, so can anyone give any food/snack recommendations for what I should try? I bought shrimp chips, rice senbei (girl at work had them and they were good), red bean mochi, and a couple other things.

Any suggestions on new things I should try?

Edit: I only read the first page and the last two pages are nothing but food. My question doesn't feel so weird anymore. :lol

Same here x_x

What did you end up becoming?

I like shrimp chips. You should try the lychee jello, or any sort of these kinds of jellos:

1306938538410.jpg

Also, if you can find these:

meiji_yan_yan_velvety_chocolate_sticks_50g_1280x1143__75900_zoom.jpg

iipsrv.fcgi

This is good too..I don't know what it's called, but it's sweet with a plum inside.

5262998581_b172e66f12_z.jpg

I'm pretty sure they have the jello things, I think I remember seeing them. And the girl at work buys yan yan and I liked the panda for hello panda so I know they have both of those. I'll give a try this week, thanks!

jasonng

I'm not sure if this is frowned upon for this thread, but there's a decent sized Asian community near where I live so there's a Chinese supermarket and, from what I can tell, a Korean supermarket. They both have a lot of things from other regions such as japan and other places, so can anyone give any food/snack recommendations for what I should try? I bought shrimp chips, rice senbei (girl at work had them and they were good), red bean mochi, and a couple other things.

Edit: I only read the first page and the last two pages are nothing but food. My question doesn't feel so weird anymore. :lol

haw-flakes-chinese-candy.jpg

Today I was told by some friends that my Southern fried chicken is the best. Apparently they went to one of my favorite places (Tokyo Fried Chicken. It's SO good), tried it, and thought mine was better.

So now I'm making fried chicken and fried turkey for Christmas.

Lol! Nice :) What field do you want to go into?

Speaking of stereotypes, I've been thinking about mutually reinforcing stereotypes.

For example, have any of you heard of someone saying "I did bad by Asian standards," or maybe even the more extreme "I did bad, like American bad" (referring to school performance)? I only ask because I've said these things before (I try not to anymore), and my friends and I have been before. I also hear this in school, even now, when Asians talk about tests and grades.

Something I read earlier prompted to me think about self-created cultures-- that is, Asians do well academically, and we perpetuate this culture of academic excellence. I attended American school systems, but even I, in that culture of the "model minority," bought into this idea that all Asians must be good students.

So.. it's mutually reinforcing. I grew up in a culture that pushed good grades, I knew the stereotype of Asians doing well in school, and I myself perpetuated that.

Sorry for the sudden SRSBUSINESS post, but it's something I was wondering. Can we break our own stereotypes if we are still perpetuating them, even if they aren't bad*** (academic achievement, in a vacuum, is a good thing and should be striven for, imo)?

***I do want to add that I do think that, while academic achievement is good and everyone should definitely do their best, we know how damaging it can be to have that sort of stereotype, especially when we don't meet it. So, while doing well in school maybe isn't such a bad thing, I would hope to break the model minority stereotype a little bit... but how do we, when it seems like we actually reinforce it as well?
I'll say that kind of stuff because I think it's funny. It's probably not the ideal thing to do, but I enjoy getting laughs.

EDIT:

Do you like beer? If so, I'd recommend Tsingtao, Tiger Beer, Taiwan Beer, and--the best of them all--Orion.

mr.rager

Speaking of stereotypes, I've been thinking about mutually reinforcing stereotypes.

For example, have any of you heard of someone saying "I did bad by Asian standards," or maybe even the more extreme "I did bad, like American bad" (referring to school performance)? I only ask because I've said these things before (I try not to anymore), and my friends and I have been before. I also hear this in school, even now, when Asians talk about tests and grades.

Something I read earlier prompted to me think about self-created cultures-- that is, Asians do well academically, and we perpetuate this culture of academic excellence. I attended American school systems, but even I, in that culture of the "model minority," bought into this idea that all Asians must be good students.

So.. it's mutually reinforcing. I grew up in a culture that pushed good grades, I knew the stereotype of Asians doing well in school, and I myself perpetuated that.

Sorry for the sudden SRSBUSINESS post, but it's something I was wondering. Can we break our own stereotypes if we are still perpetuating them, even if they aren't bad*** (academic achievement, in a vacuum, is a good thing and should be striven for, imo)?

***I do want to add that I do think that, while academic achievement is good and everyone should definitely do their best, we know how damaging it can be to have that sort of stereotype, especially when we don't meet it. So, while doing well in school maybe isn't such a bad thing, I would hope to break the model minority stereotype a little bit... but how do we, when it seems like we actually reinforce it as well?

As long as a lot of Asian countries live in poverty, Asians in the western world will never be able to escape that stereotype. 2nd and 3rd gen may be able differ from the stereotype a bit but the influx of new Asian immigrants who've had academic excellence is everything drilled into them since they were a child will start that cycle all over again.

Erheller

***I do want to add that I do think that, while academic achievement is good and everyone should definitely do their best, we know how damaging it can be to have that sort of stereotype, especially when we don't meet it. So, while doing well in school maybe isn't such a bad thing, I would hope to break the model minority stereotype a little bit... but how do we, when it seems like we actually reinhorse it as well?

No idea. I still have a year or two (depending on how long I want to take) left in undergrad, so I still have a ton of time. I'm in a dual-degree program.

A professor once devoted part of a lecture about the whole model minority stereotype, saying that the Asian population in America isn't representative of the overall Asian population. When the US started re-allowing Chinese and other Asians to immigrate to the United States in limited numbers (the Chinese Exclusion Act was repealed in 1943), the government made sure that only the most qualified were able to come over - the ones who had gone to school and gotten degrees and contribute to the American economy. Obviously, these immigrants wanted their children to do well, and, like many American parents, encouraged their children to do well in school. The difference in perceptions about Asian and white parents (and their children by extension), then, is because the parents who emphasize education is a larger portion of the Asian population than the white population because of the restrictive immigration policies.

There's more, too, like how the government used the success of Asian Americans to shame other "under-performing" minorities. I could write a whole paper on the subject, but that the gist of it.

I kind of don't like that explanation. It gives the impression that... we have no choice but to embrace the stereotype. Sure, it implies that there are all types of Asians, but it's giving credibility to the stereotype by saying that the Asians in America are smarter than other racial groups in America. It's basically saying that the stereotype is true. Ugh.

I'd like to think that you can do well in school without contributing to the stereotype, but I honestly don't think it's possible. Stereotypes are too easily spread because of confirmation bias.

@ Academic achievements,

I have noticed this pretty strongly in my experience. The top students in my science and math classes were all Asians. The white Australian kids then also adopted the stereotype and reinforced it by downplaying that academic stuff is uncool.

:x

My parents wanted me to be a doctor too XD but they grudgingly accept now that HR is not a bad industry either. Though, it was funny to explain HR to them at first because they have little understanding of what it means.

Finally, my dad summarised it as "glorified professional adult-sitters"

:x

What is that? I'll have to see if they have them. I would think one of them does.
Today I was told by some friends that my Southern fried chicken is the best. Apparently they went to one of my favorite places (Tokyo Fried Chicken. It's SO good), tried it, and thought mine was better.

So now I'm making fried chicken and fried turkey for Christmas.

I'll say that kind of stuff because I think it's funny. It's probably not the ideal thing to do, but I enjoy getting laughs.

EDIT:

Do you like beer? If so, I'd recommend Tsingtao, Tiger Beer, Taiwan Beer, and--the best of them all--Orion.

I do but I'm pretty sure neither place sells alcohol. It's really hard for food stores to have liquor licenses in my state so there's no supermarkets that also carry alcohol. You're forced to go to an actual liquor store which I don't think any nearby have alcohol from asia.

Snacks? I like wasabi peas and gummy choco (the kind that comes in a tube).

I used to eat this all the time as a kid. lol

I'm up for any food really, I made my own Lo Mein for the first time the other week so I wouldn't mind other suggests.

They have like 5 aisles of snacks though and I want to switch up just eating teddy grahams and wheat thins. :p

Zoe

I'm pretty sure they have the jello things, I think I remember seeing them. And the girl at work buys yan yan and I liked the panda for hello panda so I know they have both of those. I'll give a try this week, thanks!

My one suggestion is that if you see a Korean version and a Japanese version of a snack with slightly different names, go for the Japanese version. At least in our experience with the chocolate cookie type snacks (Koala, Kinoko, etc), the chocolate goes bad in the Korean versions faster.

clav

I do but I'm pretty sure neither place sells alcohol. It's really hard for food stores to have liquor licenses in my state so there's no supermarkets that also carry alcohol. You're forced to go to an actual liquor store which I don't think any nearby have alcohol from asia.

Asian beer is very light. If you're a beer snob, you may not like it.

Also, beware of rebrands. Kirin in North America is actually brewed by Anheuser-Busch (formally Budweiser) [also making beer in SoCal water during drought] , and Asahi + Sapporo are just Canadian beers. You're just paying for the branding.

If you were to buy these brands in Japan, you'd be getting the legit thing.

Asian beer is very light. If you're a beer snob, you may not like it.

Also, beware of rebrands. Kirin in North America is actually brewed by Anheuser-Busch, and Asahi + Sapporo are just Canadian beers. You're just paying for the branding.

If you were to buy these brands in Japan, you'd be getting the legit thing.

Anheuser-Busch ruins everything it touches. ;.;

My one suggestion is that if you see a Korean version and a Japanese version of a snack with slightly different names, go for the Japanese version. At least in our experience with the chocolate cookie type snacks (Koala, Kinoko, etc), the chocolate goes bad in the Korean versions faster.

Cool, I'll keep that in mind. Thanks!

Ooh I almost linked these, but I personally think the taste is a little odd for someone that isn't used to Asian snacks.

I also really, really like Chinese preserved plum.. that's sorta a developed taste imo.

Plum.jpg

Link to anything you want. The girls at work have been making me try random stuff anyhow so it can't be any more of an acquired taste than some of the things they've given me.

clav

I'll add junk food. A rare post since I've been trying to stay away from it for a long time.

Apollo Chocolate. Bite-size cone-shaped chocolate with strawberry pieces. Other flavors as well.

Bt4xeEj.jpg

Hi-Chew. Taffy-like. Very addictive. Contains hydrogenated oil.

7GnYDaT.jpg

Botan Rice Candy. I remember having these a lot as a kid. Sugar on top of processed sweet rice + other flavors.

RePIAmE.jpg

Yakult. Highly sugared yogurt drink marketed as a probiotic. It really just tastes like candy with a somewhat yogurt sour aftertaste.

w58i3Yz.jpg

Ramune. "Lemonade" aka a Japanese take on Sprite/7-Up. Opening a bottle of this is fun. Just be sure to do it over a sink.

RHEYw5i.png

Zoe

I never got into the Ramune craze, but I can't say I've ever seen an Asian store without it.

I never got into the Ramune craze, but I can't say I've ever seen an Asian store without it.

I'm with you, Zoe. I used to have it all the time too, when I was very young, but... yeah. It's just one of those things I never got hooked on.

Like Pocky. I never got into Pocky craze either.

Kevyt

I had a Vietnamese berry tea with bubble. I was hesitant to try it out because I didn't know what bubble was or how it tasted like but It was one of the best and most refreshing drinks I ever had. Vietnamese cuisine is always full of surprises.

Zoe

Has anyone ever been to a hot pot restaurant? Are they good?

A dedicated one or just a place that offers hot pot?

In either case, it's really dependent on you to make the right choices. If you go to a place with single servings, you're at able to go your own way rather than with the rest of a group.

A dedicated one or just a place that offers hot pot?

In either case, it's really dependent on you to make the right choices. If you go to a place with single servings, you're at able to go your own way rather than with the rest of a group.

It's a dedicated place. The one by me is called little sheep.

http://littlesheephotpot.com/

I'm pretty sure it's more of a group thing from my understanding.
I would perfer a Korean BBQ, but the hot pots are pretty good still.

That's actually next door to the hotpot...

I would perfer a Korean BBQ, but the hot pots are pretty good still.

I like the Mongolian hotpot place here. They do both the soup thing and the bbq thing on one table. It's awesome.

Korean BBQ is delish though.

It's a dedicated place. The one by me is called little sheep.

http://littlesheephotpot.com/

I'm pretty sure it's more of a group thing from my understanding.

That's actually next door to the hotpot...

Oh, the place near here that we go to is called Little Lamb. They are pretty good for value.

y2dvd

I had a pretty funny weekend. I met a friend at a bar to meet some of her friends. Her friends were at the table along with her friend's friend, who's name was Sunshine. No lie, she busted out her ID to prove the name.

Anyways, as I was walking up to the table where they were seated, Sunshine immediately points to me and goes "You! You're Asian and automatically cute! You can sit with me!" Sunshine was a white lady. She asked me what I was and I say half Chinese and I was cut off before I can say the rest. She started busting out some Chinese and I said I only knew English. Ends up she married a Chinese guy and had two kids with him. I asked where they met and she said she was searching for what sounded like a mail order husband program online. No lie and I totally believe her.

She kept telling me how I should hook up with the friend I was with because mixed Asian babies are the cutest, especially black and Asain. She even wanted me to use that as a line to pick up chicks. "Hey, you're pretty. Asian mixes makes the cutest babies so what do you say? ;)" The lady definitely had a preference for Asian to the point where I'd call it a fetish.

Now I'm sure Asian girls are the targets of these fetishes a lot and are probably sick of it but as an Asian guy, I was thinking "Where are all the single gals with an Asian fetish and why haven't I met them yet?!" Lol it's a different perspective I'm sure.

I had a pretty funny weekend. I met a friend at a bar to meet some of her friends. Her friends were at the table along with her friend's friend, who's name was Sunshine. No lie, she busted out her ID to prove the name.

Anyways, as I was walking up to the table where they were seated, Sunshine immediately points to me and goes "You! You're Asian and automatically cute! You can sit with me!" Sunshine was a white lady. She asked me what I was and I say half Chinese and I was cut off before I can say the rest. She started busting out some Chinese and I said I only knew English. Ends up she married a Chinese guy and had two kids with him. I asked where they met and she said she was searching for what sounded like a mail order husband program online. No lie and I totally believe her.

She kept telling me how I should hook up with the friend I was with because mixed Asian babies are the cutest, especially black and Asain. She even wanted me to use that as a line to pick up chicks. "Hey, you're pretty. Asian mixes makes the cutest babies so what do you say? ;)" The lady definitely had a preference for Asian to the point where I'd call it a fetish.

Now I'm sure Asian girls are the targets of these fetishes a lot and are probably sick of it but as an Asian guy, I was thinking "Where are all the single gals with an Asian fetish and why haven't I met them yet?!" Lol it's a different perspective I'm sure.

No lie, I cringed reading through all that.

Very sorry to hear you had to go through it in real, too

:(

Ochi

Neo Member
That reminds me of some research they once did on a dating-site, about ethnicity and responses. I have no idea whatsoever if this is accurate though in general.

Noooooo...top of the page :(
'
Yeah that's a very interesting study. It makes me think about a bunch of things. I would want to ask the surveyors a bunch of questions. Do you have the link to this study?

I remember reading about that last year, here's a link to one of the news articles that covered it, but I'm not sure if it links to the study proper:

http://goo.gl/OwQHBu

Edit: Apparently gaf doesn't approve of Daily Mail UK (presumably because they also have a lot of non-news material or bots)

A short link is pasted above

Ochi

Neo Member
lmao Serial this week features like three instances of "Asian women all look the same". Goddamnit.

In all fairness, the place Serial takes place in is Baltimore, which isn't exactly a major nexus of Asian American culture...

And it should be mentioned that it wasn't Sarah Koenig that said that, for what it's worth.

Top Bottom