• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asiana crash: Airline to sue over bogus pilot names gaffe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dram

http://www.scmp.com/news/world/article/1282443/asiana-airlines-sue-over-fake-names-gaffe
Asiana said Sunday it was planning lawsuits against US transport authorities and a TV station for mistakenly confirming and airing false and offensive names for the pilots behind its fatal crash in San Francisco.

Fox network affiliate KTVU news Channel 2 in Oakland identified the pilots of the Asiana Airlines Boeing 777 that crashed last weekend as “Sum Ting Wong,” “Wi Tu Lo,” “Ho Lee Fuk,” and “Bang Ding Ow.”

KTVU cited the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) as its source, but quickly realised the mistake and apologised.

The NTSB later apologised for the “inaccurate and offensive names that were mistakenly confirmed” as those of the Asiana pilots - and blamed the mistake on an intern.

Asiana however said the incident had “seriously tarnished the dignity of the four pilots as well as the company”.

“We are planning legal actions against KTVU that aired the report as well as the NTSB that confirmed the names,” the air carrier said in a statement.

CVS-racist-slur.jpg

Is she their lawyer?

crozier

Yeah, good luck with that. Can't news stations say whatever they want as long as they have a "source" feeding them the information?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
The NTSB later apologised for the “inaccurate and offensive names that were mistakenly confirmed” as those of the Asiana pilots - and blamed the mistake on an intern.
An intern? Everyone pulls that excuse. I'm not buying it.

I wonder how was responsible for the names - someone inside KTVU looking to get fired, someone from the transport authorities, or just a random troll who called KTVU acting like someone from the transport authority?

Edit: Ah so it was an intern.

Arment

Such a huge fuck up. That it's causing them so much trouble is equally as hilarious.

I feel bad for the families though. Not something I'd want to hear about happening to a loved one.

Madness

Shows you the cultural differences between the US and South Korea. To a lot of folks there, this was almost a personal mistake and they literally want to apologize to the world for it, and for then to get mocked, they take it seriously.

Don't think the lawsuit will get too far though. It was a screwup and they apologized for it.

Yet again, as in the previous thread, it's okay to make fun of Asian names because well, racism against them in America is nothing to worry about.

After all, Asians are the model minority so having a little "harmless" fun by making fun of their names won't offend anyone, right?

I thought GAF was better than this.

Salsa

I get how some posters find this purely straight up offensive (it is) and all, but attacking those who laughed at it? shit was fucking hilarious and I still laugh when I watch it, mostly at the circumstance/context. doesnt mean im suddenly racist. chillax

Arment

Yet again, as in the previous thread, it's okay to make fun of Asian names because well, racism against them in America is nothing to worry about.

After all, Asians are the model minority so having a little "harmless" fun by making fun of their names won't offend anyone, right?

The funny part is that a station actually bought it, not the names really. Making them obviously fake and even relevant to the event upped the ante even more.

I didn't realize GAF came up with the fake names.

Fascinating.

LordCanti

I laughed at the newscasters obliviousness more-so than at the actual names being read. Now I laugh at the notion that Asiana airlines deserves money because some misinformation got broadcast. I hope they're as open to financial restitution when every single victim and victims family sues them.

Ties

Banned
So, everyone who found this funny is a racist?
I find it pretty offensive that someone is laughing over mocking Asian names, yes.

Laughing at the situation on how the station believed those names were valid is funny, yes. But the names themselves? Nope.

I find it pretty offensive that someone is laughing over mocking Asian names, yes.

Laughing at the situation on how the station believed those names were valid is funny, yes. But the names themselves? Nope.

You sound like fun.

Let's watch a Mel Brooks movie together.

Oh man, I laughed pretty damn hard. I tried not to but failed, but then again I always loved the joke pun names on the Simpsons that Bart always pulled on Moe like "Huge Jazz, Ivana Tinkle, Maya Butreeks, etc.."

Sum Ting Wong, Ho Lee Fuk...good god the situational usuage...I can't stop laughing.

jediyoshi

You realize the joke therein lies with the fact that they resemble statements relevant to the situation, right? Outside the context of the plane crash, which is what that perspective would encompass, they lose just a bit of their cleverness.

rdrr gnr

Your personal feelings of offensive are palpable. No need to clarify that as I do not care. I'm asking if you think it takes or makes a racist to laugh at those names directly -- not the situation.

Demon Ice

Banned
How ironic that even in spite of the Zimmerman trial's verdict tonight there is still ample room for racism on NeoGAF.

"Everybody who laughs at this thing that I don't find funny is racist!"

Good lord. It's the Bros Before Hoes trophy all over again. I don't have the same sense of humor as other people so I must find some reason for me to be right and them to be wrong. It's racist / sexist / bigotry! Somehow!

Ties

Banned
You realize the joke therein lies with the fact that they resemble statements relevant to the situation, right? Outside the context of the plane crash, which is what that perspective would encompass, they lose just a bit of their cleverness.

"Everybody who laughs at this thing that I don't find funny is racist!"

Good lord. It's the Bros Before Hoes trophy all over again. I don't have the same sense of humor as other people so I must find some reason for me to be right and them to be wrong. It's racist / sexist / bigotry! Somehow!
Okay, fine.

Sorry if I came off as a bit of a prude and I worded that statement wrongly. But can you please lay off the public lynching?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom