• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asiana crash: Airline to sue over bogus pilot names gaffe

Status
Not open for further replies.

lupinko

Yet again, as in the previous thread, it's okay to make fun of Asian names because well, racism against them in America is nothing to worry about.

After all, Asians are the model minority so having a little "harmless" fun by making fun of their names won't offend anyone, right?

I thought GAF was better than this.

Something about Chinese Telephone or Moonspeak/Moonrunes something something.

It annoys the crap out of me on this board but I just decided to do my best to ignore it.

MrDenny

Madness

That's their lawyer Cha Ching

mj-laughing.gif

Vyer

There's nothing inherently racist about the fake name prank. It is universal.

My friends Ben Dover and Harry Bawls told me so.

Let me get this straight, you crash a fucking plane killing 2 people, injuring or traumatizing the rest and YOU as a corporate entity want to sue ANYONE for ANYTHING let alone some stupid prank that makes it on the news?

Y'all can go ahead and suck on the sweatiest part of my balls.

Yet again, as in the previous thread, it's okay to make fun of Asian names because well, racism against them in America is nothing to worry about.

After all, Asians are the model minority so having a little "harmless" fun by making fun of their names won't offend anyone, right?

i'm asian and i thought it was funny. stupid. but funny

this needs to get posted again

Sun-Times-Headline.jpg
Doesn't seem racist to the me. I think they're just referencing the terror of it...

If they were making an Asian joke I believe there would be something about the plane's origin on the cover.

My 2c.

Edit: on my tablet, pic is small. I guess you can read Asiana on the side of the plane? I still don't think they were making a r=l joke though.

Doesn't seem racist to the me. I think they're just referencing the terror of it...

If they were making an Asian joke I believe there would be something about the plane's origin on the cover.

My 2c.

Edit: on my tablet, pic is small. I guess you can read Asiana on the side of the plane? I still don't think they were making a r=l joke though.

Umm.."Fright 214" as opposed to "Flight 214"

Edit: they DEFN were NOT making that joke...it just happened to be an ill informed play on words..

Asiana however said the incident had “seriously tarnished the dignity of the four pilots as well as the company”.

The actual crash that resulted in 3 deaths and a lot Injured should have already done that..

Asiana however said the incident had “seriously tarnished the dignity of the four pilots as well as the company”.

The actual crash that resulted in 3 deaths and a lot Injured should have already done that..

great, so you know already what happened that caused the crash? can you explain? i'm assuming by your conclusoin that you know it's pilot errors that did it

great, so you know already what happened that caused the crash? can you explain? i'm assuming by your conclusoin that you know it's pilot errors that did it
The crash, regardless of the cause, looks terrible on the airline.

And the pilots probably feel awful, even of it was something out of their control.

They should fire the idiot presenter on TV for reading off the script like a mindless robot instead of blaming everything on the intern.

Salsa

My 2c.

it's not the intent, it's the fact that they somehow never thought people would put 2 and 2 together. You dont print that.

It has no case.

The station did not harm the reputation of the pilots because it did not name them. And, given the fact the pilots have become public figures given the crash, the threshold to prove slander is extremely high.

I'm disappointed the airline is suing here when its pilots clearly screwed up.

“We are planning legal actions against KTVU that aired the report as well as the NTSB that confirmed the names,” the air carrier said in a statement, written by their company spokesperson Wi Soo Yu.

Kayo-kun

I also smiled at the stupidity of the news channel when they probably got pranked and posted those names. But seeing how some gaffers are continuing making fun of Asian names just seems to be immature and silly in my eyes.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Wait, KTVU actually checked those names with the NTSB and someone there confirmed the names? Wow that's dumb.

Asian here.

I fucking laughed. Then felt bad because people actually died. Then laughed at the names again.

It's as racist as I.P. Freely

Asian here.

I fucking laughed. Then felt bad because people actually died. Then laughed at the names again.

It's as racist as I.P. Freely

I agree with you. Also, the people who tend to get the angriest and most outraged over these types of things are often not of the race being ridiculed.

its a joke. The names were hilarious. The concept was hilarious. The only thing not funny was that some people actually died - other than that it was some serious high level trolling.

Discusguy

All the Asians that came in here stating they laughed is the problem. That's why this kind of stuff Will still be excepted.

It's no wonder why Asians have no voice in anything compared to all minority voices.

qindarka

Banned
All the Asians that came in here stating they laughed is the problem. That's why this kind of stuff Will still be excepted.

It's no wonder why Asians have no voice in anything compared to all minority voices.

I do think that whole business wit the names was racist and I am offended. That said, you can't force outrage from others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom