• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Shadows Release November 15, 2024

makaveli60

Hellblade 2 is out in 7 days, say what you will about the gameplay but the graphics are absolutely next-gen/current.
Noliesdetected.gif
You are right, I just forgot about it as I don’t have a current gen xbox. I hope they will release it on ps5 eventually, I liked the first game

hybrid_birth

Gold Member
Damn, too soon. I'm still waiting for AC Mirage to hit $20.
It's available to buy for $18 bucks at game fly.

H . R . 2

GNj0c0-XEAAc3gs

GNj0c0_WoAAMoO-

if real, this has me confused.

Last edited:

Stafford

In a fucking singleplayer game. Watch this being the only way to get new outfits and shit. I didn't play Valhalla long enough to see if we unlock outfits in the story too, or Mirage. Do we?

There are literally dozens if not hundreds of games set in Japan with Japanese protagonist, go play one of those. Them going for something different is fine, whether he was Samurai or not, Yasuke's story is interesting. Now whether he's written interesting by Ubisoft or not is another story.
I agree with this. It's a nice wrinkle to genre/setting. And for all the high production values of Assassin's Creed games, it is amazing how terribly written and acted their games are. I really hope AC Shadows sets Ubisoft on a different path. It will be 4 years between major releases of AC, which is more than enough time to digest all the complaints of previous entries

Think I'll miss this one - first time. Time period not really chimes with me and the market is getting saturated with similar games set in the same period. Having said that, I thought Shogun was a good TV show.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
It's not woke. Yasuke was a real samurai in the 16th century and is pretty famous. He was also in Nioh. But yeah, you should probably skip it.

Yasuke wasn't a samurai though.

Yasuke (弥助 or 弥介) was a man of African origin who served as a retainer to the Japanese daimyō Oda Nobunaga in 1581–1582, during the Sengoku period.[3] He was employed as a koshō (小姓, page or sword-bearer) for a period of 15 months until Nobunaga's death in the Honnō-ji Incident.[4][5]

In other words, Yasuke was a servant.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.

In a fucking singleplayer game. Watch this being the only way to get new outfits and shit. I didn't play Valhalla long enough to see if we unlock outfits in the story too, or Mirage. Do we?

You could unlock outfits in the story mode and do additional daily challenges in Valhalla to earn virtual coins to unlock more items. It was pretty time consuming to unlock a full outfit that way, though.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Ubi: "There was a black dude in ancient japan!"

Everyone: "He was a servant."

Ubi: "Oh God! We can't have a black dude as a servant! Let's make his a samurai!"

Everyone: "Won't that offend the Japanese?"

Ubi: "Fuck them yellow devils... we're Ubisoft, and we don't tolerate bigotry!"

Stafford

I honestly don't really care much about the male being black. Ok sure, there are people claiming he was a real samurai and helped Nobunaga, others claim he was merely a weapon holder for him and fled the country and never even used a sword. So this is Ubi rewriting history is what they say. I get them, at the same time I'm like meh.

Were any of the previous games accurate in any way? Never bothered to check. Apparently in Nioh you play as a white dude? But I assume he wasn't a real person that existed? I guess that's why there's the backlash. Ah well. Just be a good game.

TheUsual

Gold Member
Hmmm...I wonder if they will make the male protagonist a member of the assassin order who travels to Japan to set the story off.

Or if he becomes a member of the assassin order after he gets to Japan (I e., begins as a nobody).

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Apparently in Nioh you play as a white dude? But I assume he wasn't a real person that existed? I guess that's why there's the backlash. Ah well. Just be a good game.
Based on the real person who was the first Englishman who reached Japan as a English Navigator and taken under Ieyasu's wing as a vassal when he wrecked and became the first Western Samurai. Backlash was unwarranted that JP game took a White Man from history and made him a White Man.

The real William was a Trade Merchant turned Samurai/Shogun and decided to remain in Japan as a very influential figure.

When the real reason for the backlash is gamers just wanted a character creator. No such backlash over Hide actually not existing and the whole thing with Tokichiro becoming Hideyoshi. When Hideyoshi in history actually had multiple names and monikers to go by over time.

Stafford

Based on the real person who was the first Englishman who reached Japan as a English Navigator and taken under Ieyasu's wing as a vassal when he wrecked and became the first Western Samurai. Backlash was unwarranted that JP game took a White Man from history and made him a White Man.

The real William was a Trade Merchant turned Samurai/Shogun and decided to remain in Japan as a very influential figure.

When the real reason for the backlash is gamers just wanted a character creator. No such backlash over Hide actually not existing and the whole thing with Tokichiro becoming Hideyoshi. When Hideyoshi in history actually had multiple names and monikers to go by over time.

Thanks for letting me know. Appreciate it!

Regardless of historic accuracy, it's dumb that AN ASSASSIN is somebody with a color skin different from the 99.99% of the population. I don't care about black, white, or Indian, the protagonist can't disguise if he's easily spotted among the crowd.

Going from that absurd premise, the game can only be uninspired and overall shitty.

stn

Personally, I don't see the issue. I'm one of the first people to get annoyed when corporations insert political agenda into a game just so they can pretend they care (we know they don't), but in this case, Yasuke has been a known character for a very long time. He has an interesting story.

Top Bottom