• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Shadows Release November 15, 2024

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I wish people would be arguing over how this is an Ubisoft game and will be shit instead of what skin colour the main male lead has.

Like people just need to play Ghost of Tsushima, there is 0% chance that something Ubisoft sharts out as a vehicle to sell premium cosmetics in a single player game will be better than that.

Last edited:

Fredrik

I wish people would be arguing over how this is an Ubisoft game and will be shit instead of what skin colour the main male lead has.

Like people just need to play Ghost of Tushima, there is 0% chance that something Ubisoft sharts out as a vehicle to sell premium cosmetics in a single player game will be better than that.
Valhalla’s male protagonist had a woman’s name. Nothing can top that for me, I know a Eivor irl and it was just impossible to play as the male without bursting out laughing

I loved Odyssey anyhow so I’m cautiously optimistic here

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Hardly the same. Ezio is still an Italian renaissance man. It would be more akin to if AC2 had you playing as Xing Xao. It makes little to no sense and actively insults the setting and culture.

wasn't that just Origins? I mean they did a "We Wuz Kangz" and then created the discovery tour that they sold to schools based off it that essentially tried to teach kids in school that some made up BS "Egypt was black culture" was fact.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
wasn't that just Origins? I mean they did a "We Wuz Kangz" and then created the discovery tour that they sold to schools based off it that essentially tried to teach kids in school that some made up BS "Egypt was black culture" was fact.
Yes. It has been an ongoing issue, but it isn’t as blatant as it is here.

Regardless of historic accuracy, it's dumb that AN ASSASSIN is somebody with a color skin different from the 99.99% of the population. I don't care about black, white, or Indian, the protagonist can't disguise if he's easily spotted among the crowd.
If you look closely at the image you’ll see that there’s a female ninja assassin in front of him.

Senhua

Nice, specially designed for insecure overseas male beta player to fulfil their power fantasy to get pretty asian girl (after they slaughter a tons of local alpha "Chud" male of course)
pgzvor8k6tyc1.jpeg

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
By now we’ve all heard of Ubisoft Game, and if you haven’t, then you’ve been living under a rock. Ubisoft Game is the latest in a long line of titles from Ubisoft, and with a bigger budget than ever before and no less than 75 of Ubisoft’s 193 global studios working on it, there’s no doubt that this year’s Ubisoft Game is going to be the big one.

You can play Ubisoft Game on basically any platform of your choice, but we’ve been reviewing it on a next-gen console, because that’s the platform it was made for.

Ubisoft Game is the story of Main Character, a gruff or sassy white man who is really good at parkour, killing, and killing while doing parkour. One of the most iconic features of Main Character is the way he dresses — Main Character’s sense of style and flair really comes across in his tailored outfit, which makes him look distinctive and features a number of clear symbols that can be easily used in marketing and merchandising.

The game takes place in a big open world, with lots of people and maybe even animals living in it. That sounds like it should be a paradise, but it’s not — a Bad Thing has happened and Main Character is right in the thick of it. Or maybe he’s the only one who can stop it? The story in Ubisoft Game is a bit uncompelling, but that’s okay, because there’s just so much to see and do.

When the main story starts, it’s a bit slow and scripted to begin with, but it’s not long before you’re out in the open world doing your thing. Ubisoft really know how to do an open world, and the jungle sections in particular of Ubisoft Game are just amazing. Those guys and gals really know how to do jungle. There’s also some really impressive AI on display, keeping the wildlife and/or people moving and creating a living, breathing ecosystem around you. You can drive cars or possibly horses and run over people too, which is good. This may make guards attack you, which is bad.

assassins_creed_black_flag

A key mechanic of Ubisoft Game is that control points on the map need to be ‘captured’ to unlock particular areas. Each control point is a challenge and gives you influence over that particular area, and allows you do your parkour or whatever without being attacked by the bad guys. When you’re not capturing control points with your Good Parkour Skills, you don’t have to go and do the main story, although Main Character’s skills don’t unlock until you do which is kind of annoying. There’s lots to see and do. Ubisoft Game is filled with side activities such as This Gambling Game, Beating Up Enemies Until You Are Told To Stop, Looking For Collectibles, and Tailing Somebody Somewhere For Some Reason.

You can also do the thing which works offline with your companion app, which you can download. Once you’ve got the thing, you can use your companion app to do it, on your tablet or smart phone! It’s neat and impressive, but does it add much to the game? We’re not sure.

You’ll want to come back to the main story though, because that’s what Ubisoft Game is really all about. The main story introduces a number of people who aren’t the Main Character, and most of them are pretty forgettable but there are one or two in there who are genuinely more interesting than the Main Character, which is strange. Anyway the main story also has a lot of stuff to do, although there’s a lot of really stupid instant-fail stealth missions where you have to reload over and over again, and it seems like Ubisoft kind of ran out of ideas near to the end. The main story goes for approximately 400 years and it probably didn’t need to be that long.

There’s a lot of combat in Ubisoft Game. From the initial trailers we thought maybe there would be more to the game than combat, but truth be told you’ll be spending a lot of time just shooting or stabbing people, possibly while doing parkour or in stealth. That combat is great fun so that’s not necessarily a bad thing, but it’s about time for Ubisoft to realise that not every game needs to be packed with as much action as possible.

far_cry_3

The message of the main story seems kind of lost unfortunately, which is a shame because Ubisoft have clearly put so much money and effort into polishing Ubisoft Game. It feels like they were afraid to really make a statement in the main story, and Main Character just isn’t an interesting enough White Man Who Is Good At Killing to really deliver on the game’s potentially edgy premise. Main Character often does things which are just as bad as the bad guys in the game, and this double standard isn’t really addressed by Ubisoft Game at any point in the narrative.

Ubisoft Game comes in about 4,027 different editions depending on where you buy it and what phase of the moon you’re in at the time, so it’s hard to know if any of the mountains of DLC, Unlockable Extras, Side Missions and Add-Ons for Ubisoft Game change anything significantly about the main story. What we can tell you though is that Ubisoft Game has some neat easter eggs that also make references to other Ubisoft Games, which is nice.

We also took Ubisoft Game for a quick spin on PC, and it’s a mixed bag. Sometimes Ubisoft Game is good on PC and sometimes it isn’t, and this Ubisoft Game follows the same pattern. It’s definitely meant for a controller though, unless you’re doing some shooting. That’s much better with a keyboard and mouse. For those of you wondering — yes, Ubisoft Game uses Uplay. Sorry.

All in all, Ubisoft Game is a game that Ubisoft have made. You’ll play it if you like that sort of thing, and in fact it has already sold 250 million copies.

Woopah

Having two protagonists could potentially be interesting, but I need more than cinemstics to be convinced.

Kurotri

I say this as a massive AC fan/junkie that has been following the series religiously since its inception in 2007. That trailer was ass. Valhalla's trailer was way way more hype. I know, big shoes to fill in that regard, but bleh. Awful music too. And the screenshots don't look great either. As this is supposed to be the first next-gen (current-gen really) game, it looks actually close to Valhalla. I'm...kinda disappointed lol. Hopefully the gameplay reveal next month is better.

660e5a03fbff4e2940488bcd-4.jpg
660e5a03fbff4e2940488bcd-1.jpg
660e5a03fbff4e2940488bcd-3.jpg

Edit: Well, atleast there's this:

Last edited:
Trailer did nothing for me, we'll see. Purely from a gameplay perspective it will be hard to top Rise of the Ronin and as an overall package I doubt it can touch Ghost of Tsushima (whose sequel will probably launch next year) but I'm an OG AC fan and I love this time period so I'll keep my eye on it, eventual gameplay trailer will let me know what's up.

LordCBH

That needed modernity has been found in a fully dynamic lighting system, in which the radiance from sunlight, torches, and lanterns can illuminate both the land and you. Escape into the shadows, though, and you’re invisible. And if you can’t escape the light, you can snuff it out

I’m very excited for this one.

darrylgorn

So, on the face of it, it appears silly to have this main character but the team was quick to explain the historical context of him being a foreigner. That's fine, really not a big deal.

I think what people are tired of is the GAAS and DLC shit in these bloated games and they haven't changed that at all.

Stafford

Even though I bought AC Origins and Oddysey I barely played them. I did play Valhalla and dropped it after a few hours since it felt it wasn't going anywhere. So the reason I am excited about Shadows is because they are finally going to Japan.

Hopefully gameplay wise it's great too.

hussar16

That ubisoft releases a cgi cinemtic trailer instead of real gameplay is already a bad look and then asks to preorder. Ghost of thushima looks similar to this cgi trailer yet ubisoft can only make cgi look thag good not their own games that means the graphics are way worse for gameplay

Top Bottom