• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Shadows Release November 15, 2024

StueyDuck

Banned
No. Literally never even slightly implied this. I'm done with this stupid conversation.
I mean that's how you initially implied your response to me... the issue isn't that he is black. The issue is that they haven't done this to any of the prior entries and when we finally get a game set in Japan as we've all been screaming for they pick the one famous black person.

I mean do you genuinely not see what's going on in that situation.like hand on your heart, full ignorance, confusion?

Last edited:
I mean that's how you initially implied your response to me... the issue isn't that he is black. The issue is that they haven't done this to any of the prior entries and when we finally get a game set in Japan as we've all been screaming for they pick the one famous black person.

I mean do you genuinely not see what's going on in that situation.like hand on your heart, full ignorance, confusion?
I think a lot of people are mentally deranged by being anti-woke. I think Ubisoft really transparently refused to do a AC Japan game for years because they said there were already tons of games like that and they didn't want to do something so similar to what's already out there. I think they found an interesting angle to make their game unique and got interested.

GymWolf

Gold Member
It just sucks because on a technical level they create some of the best game worlds in the industry. If they can't emphasize good combat in a feudal Japan AC game, they never will. It doesn't even need to be super deep, just make it visceral and satisfying like Ghost of Tsushima. Shit shouldn't be hard

BTW, I'm pretty Ubisoft is releasing this trailer now instead of at their direct next month because of Ghost of Tsushima 2, which will most likely be shown later this month at Sony's event
Tsushima has no ragdoll, precanned death animations that get boring after 20 min and terrible, uber-basic gore, hopefully it's nothing like that.

The combat itself was ok mechanically, but that shit didn't felt visceral or meaty at all to me, sorry.

Comically exagerated death poses like old samurai movies make me yawn at best, even worse when their invisible lifebar is depleted and they start the death animation when you are still slicing em up with no feedback whatsoever(because the animation already started)

It's 2024 and precanned death animations with no ragdoll were already old by ps2 times.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Oh how exciting!
frieren-sousou-no-frieren.gif

HL3.exe

Finally, the first 'next gen' Assassin's Creed! (On 4 year+ old hardware at this point, lol)

Let's see if it'll actually feel distinctive from last gen, and use the tech leap in interesting gameplay driven ways.

probably not

An announcement of an announcement is the most backwards thing the marketing industry invented. This is ridiculous.

It took so long for an AC in Japan that we already got two games that fill that niche with Ghost of Tsushima and Rise of the Ronin. No way Ubisoft doesn't fumble this with their certified Ubi Formula.
Yea, they should have been like MS and gave us a heads up on when their marketing would be starting. I was caught off guard on this announcement of the upcoming announcement. Hold your horses there buddy.

Tsushima has no ragdoll, precanned death animations that get boring after 20 min and terrible, uber-basic gore, hopefully it's nothing like that.

The combat itself was ok mechanically, but that shit didn't felt visceral or meaty at all to me, sorry.

Comically exagerated death poses like old samurai movies make me yawn at best, even worse when their invisible lifebar is depleted and they start the death animation when you are still slicing em up with no feedback whatsoever(because the animation already started)

It's 2024 and precanned death animations with no ragdoll were already old by ps2 times.
Gore and limb dismemberment was disappointing, but at least it didn't feel like you were cutting through paper. Enemies had weight to them and parrying was very solid. Don't remember scripted death animations, but regardless, I think your opinion is in the minority. The combat wasn't deep but it was satisfying, and the game did a good job making you feel like a badass all the way through. No AC game comes close to Ghost's combat, and Ghost isn't even great, only good

Luipadre

The only Ubisoft game im interested in at the moment. I skipped mirage and waiting for this one. Gameplay in june at the ubi event and thank god its currgen only altho i dont expect a huge bump in graphics. Ubisoft games used to look amazing, not anymore

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
The only Ubisoft game im interested in at the moment. I skipped mirage and waiting for this one. Gameplay in june at the ubi event and thank god its currgen only altho i dont expect a huge bump in graphics. Ubisoft games used to look amazing, not anymore
Mirage was the first AC I played since Black Flag and it sucked. I'll be there for the reveal but if they start hyping it up as the next 250h+ Valhalla - I'm out.

Aion002

Can't wait to play a white guy in Africa. Of course, this will never happen and we very well know why :)
As for the accuracy, I might be wrong but I read on multiple occasions that this black samurai was not an actual samurai but a samurai's servant or something like that.
Samurai was a caste of military nobility in Japan.

Under Nobunaga, Yasuke worked almost as one. According to historical records Oda Nobunaga named him Yasuke (his original name is unknow), gave to him a residence and a wakizashi (a short katana). Yasuke also worked as a personal body guard to Nobunaga and was his weapon bearer.

Yasuke fought battles for Nobunaga and Nobunaga enjoyed his presence.

However, Nobunaga did not give him a surname and since there are no records if he was actually granted the title, things are up in the air.

There were other foreigners that became samurais (and there are records of it), like William Adams, an english navigator that ended up becoming a servant of Tokugawa Ieyasu.

Coincidentally enough, William Adams is the main character of Nioh and Yasuke plays a minor role in the game.

Anyway... Yasuke story is so interesting, him having received the title or not doesn't matter.

I think this might be the first Ubisoft game that I might buy at launch since the ps3.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Gore and limb dismemberment was disappointing, but at least it didn't feel like you were cutting through paper. Enemies had weight to them and parrying was very solid. Don't remember scripted death animations, but regardless, I think your opinion is in the minority. The combat wasn't deep but it was satisfying, and the game did a good job making you feel like a badass all the way through. No AC game comes close to Ghost's combat, and Ghost isn't even great, only good
The game only has precanned death animations, not sure how didn't noticed that you have zero dynamic animations when enemies die, you deplete their invisible lifebar and the long, theatrical animation start without any chance of changing it, no matter the direction of the final blow nor how many time you hit them after the animation start, the game has the most noticeable precanned death animations of any triple A from past gen, and when the animation end, the enemies just glue on the ground even if their body is half out of the surface instead of falling down (that's the no ragdoll), the whole thing feels silly\fake as fuck unless you are an old samurai movie aficionado or just don't put much weight on these details.

Sucker punch just hate to use ragdoll for some reasons, infamous 3 had the same problem, the same 2-3 death animations repetead for an entire game with zero ragdoll, even in a game where you blast enemies left and right with powers and ragdoll should be fucking in.

I think my opinion is shared by whoever hates silly looking precanned death animations and no ragdoll in 2024, i'm not talking about the mechanics of the combat, those were ok.
( i mean there is a reason why 99,99% of games were you kill stuff has ragdoll, even kiddy games like the last 2 zelda, imagine helldivers 2 if enemies just had their samey death animations and glue to the ground instead of what you have now)

But tbf, i'm kinda anal with this shit:lollipop_squinting:

To return to the original point, i hope it's nothing like tsushima, that one was too much parry based, mono-weapon for dozens of hours and the stance system was a joke, it was just a damage multiplier for certain type of enemies, i admit that it was ok\fun but it was not my cup of tea.
i prefer if they refine (a lot) what they had in origins.

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I’m excited to see this honestly. This is the odyssey team correct? That’s my favorite AC.

I was playing a little mirage again this weekend. That is a beautiful game to look at in performance mode on ps5.

Laptop1991

I would normally be really interested in any new Assassin's Creed but i have lust lost all trust in Ubisoft now, i'm not paying them to not own my game. i won't support this in anyway shape or gorm, so unless they say otherwise, i'll pass.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
The protagonist reveal is going to destroy this game and probably make it DOA lmao. It's all the debate around it will be.

6iXSuB5.gif

You what love?

I take it you dont know Assassins Creed games huh?
Considering AC RPG fans have been waiting for this since 2020, its set in Japan..............10 million units would be low.
You can bet on that.

Lorianus

Everyone is only talking about the yasuke character, isnt this supposed to be a dual protag game ?, i thought you could choose between the guy and a female ninja/kunoichi according to leaks earlier in the year.

The protagonist reveal is going to destroy this game and probably make it DOA lmao. It's all the debate around it will be.
It’s honestly sad and frustrating that this might happen. Imagine a handful of video games and youtube grifters successfully mindfucking the majority of the gaming community into seeing everything as political, even when a dev is just trying to be creative or different.

Trying to box-in a creative industry into as rigid of a corner as possible, is just something else.

thatJohann

Zero interest for this and even less interest once I learned the upcoming trailer is a cinematic trailer. Hard pass.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Just as things were starting to die down a bit with the Sweet Baby bullshit...

...here we go with black dude in ancient Japan.

Regardless of the historical accuracy the timing of this announcement couldnt be more thrilling :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Muffdraul

I don't give a shit about CGI trailers.

I have ALWAYS hated announcement of an announcement bullshit.

Still like AC, though! ~flips bird at all the haters~

Top Bottom