• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Shadows Release November 15, 2024

Moneal

Really just wish they had split storylines. Don't want to play as a Big Samurai, who doesn't even have a hidden blade, in a Japanese assassins creed game.

Last edited:
Yeah? There were.
simpatico simpatico 's take is bad on multiple accounts, as he forgot about this:

maxresdefault.jpg

For the guys here trying to latch on to the 'historical accuracy' train, you need to find a new train/goalpost to move to. AC has always been historical fiction. It means they have (and will) make shit the fuck up.

Z O N E

simpatico simpatico 's take is bad on multiple accounts, as he forgot about this:

For the guys here trying to latch on to the 'historical accuracy' train, you need to find a new train/goalpost to move to. AC has always been historical fiction. It means they have (and will) make shit the fuck up.

It's the fact that out of everyone they could've picked, they pick the 1 black guy who was in Japan, with no history of being a Samurai over all those other legendary Samurai's.

Imagine a developer made a game based in Ghana and they made the main character a white guy just because 1 white guy happened to be in Ghana and knew some people during that time.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
It's the fact that out of everyone they could've picked, they pick the 1 black guy who was in Japan, with no history of being a Samurai over all those other legendary Samurai's.

Imagine a developer made a game based in Ghana and they made the main character a white guy just because 1 white guy happened to be in Ghana and knew some people during that time.
Don’t even bother. They will continue to gaslight and push strawman arguments to defend the game. It is all they ever do.

Švejk

For those history buffs....

Fact check: A sword bearer stays behind with the general camp, near to the lord, they don't go out on the battlefield, and there is ABSOLUTELY POSITVELY NO RECORD OF YASUKE FIGHTING IN ANY BATTLE!

There is also NO RECORD of Yasuke receiving martial arts training, or use of the Japanese sword, either when in the service of Nobunaga or the years prior.
The truth is that his time with Nobunaga was limited, as they first met in 1581 and Oda Nobunaga was dead a year later. This is hardly enough time for Yasuke to be trained to be the great warrior all the Waukanda dreamers want him to be.

Yasuke as a Samurai?

Sadly, for either commercial purpose, or some social equity rationale, some people attempt to equate Yasuke as a non Japanese Samurai in the same way the English sailor William Adams (Pilot) was later viewed.
However Adams was actually presented Samurai status, and there is no record of Yasuke being bestowed similar Samurai status. The FACTs are that Oda Nobunaga made him a servant for a few months.

A few months... not a lifetime of service dedicated to serving his lord, ready to give his life in the service of the Oda.
Another fact that is clear; Yasuke was kept around as talking piece, an oddity for Nobunaga to show off, much in the same way he enjoyed irking other Daimyo by showing them Azai Nagamasa's gold plated skull.

Mortisfacio

Banned

This is what I find most amusing. Been funny reading one of my discords I'm in where half the people are Asian (Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Viet, etc.). One in particular who loves the AC games, has been waiting for his representation to be in an AC game for a good 10 years and... Ubisoft said nope, not today.

Strategize

This is what I find most amusing. Been funny reading one of my discords I'm in where half the people are Asian (Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Viet, etc.). One in particular who loves the AC games, has been waiting for his representation to be in an AC game for a good 10 years and... Ubisoft said nope, not today.
There's literally a Japanese protagonist in the game lol.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Black Flag had a Welsh privateer in the Caribbeans…

Not trying to be mean here, but do some of you actually play these games?
Welsh Privateers were a thing, even 100 years prior to the start of Black Flag. Read up on Henry Morgan.

Clearly you know as little about history as you do about the reason people are annoyed at this game. But thanks for proving my point.

Last edited:

Mortisfacio

Banned
Welsh Privateers were a thing, even 100 years prior to the start of Black Flag. Read up on Henry Morgan.

Clearly you know as little about history as you do about the reason people are annoyed at this game.

I don't think March Climber cares to understand history. His stance seems to just be gaslighting and mental gymnastics to justify why nobody should be upset with this.

Zathalus

Clearly you know as little about history as you do about the reason people are annoyed at this game.
It's pointing holes at the theory that every AC game protagonist has been the ethnicity of the region the game is based in. Not that there were no Welsh pirates.

Lol You're almost there guys, keep reading while I old-quote you...
It's pointing holes at the theory that every AC game protagonist has been the ethnicity of the region the game is based in. Not that there were no Welsh pirates.
Ding Ding Ding! Thank you Zathalus.

See what I mean Strategize Strategize ? It isn't worth repeating.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
A game based on pirates who were often not born of the region they sailed? During the golden age of piracy where you had French, Indian, Spanish, British, and others?

That is being more true to the era than not. Seriously, do you actually know anything about history or are you just parroting the same tired gaslighting/strawman arguments you see elsewhere?

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
People angry at a real person being in a game (lol at the racist dogwhistles like We Wuz Kangz) in this thread cause he's black and that's WRONG and not realistic. Meanwhile in AC Odyssey from the same team, you fought the Minotaur and Medusa and visited Atlantis lol.

StueyDuck

Banned
People angry at a real person being in a game (lol at the racist dogwhistles like We Wuz Kangz) in this thread cause he's black and that's WRONG and not realistic. Meanwhile in AC Odyssey from the same team, you fought the Minotaur and Medusa and visited Atlantis lol.
you guys need to decide whether you are defending accuracy or not...

No one should criticize Ubisoft because yasuke was totally real guys.. but also they shouldn't criticize because minotaurs.

i mean can you make up your minds

also gotta love the "everyone is racist because they don't think the same as me" energy your response gives off.

Last edited:

Zathalus

A game based on pirates who were often not born of the region they sailed? During the golden age of piracy where you had French, Indian, Spanish, British, and others?

That is being more true to the era than not. Seriously, do you actually know anything about history or are you just parroting the same tired gaslighting/strawman arguments you see elsewhere?
I was clarifying the comment as you clearly misunderstood it. I made no claims as to any historical accuracy about piracy in the Caribbean.

No one should criticize Ubisoft because yasuke was totally real guys.. but also they shouldn't criticize because minotaurs.

Personally, I just want consistency in opinion (keeping the same energy). For example, if you're upset about changes to history, then be upset about the entire franchise of Assassin's Creed.

Instead people jump through hoops for this one game and do the equivalent of this gif:

oh-that-was-different-injured.gif

...And also using buzzwords like this:
Keep the gaslighting and projecting going.

Last edited:

F0rneus

Tears in the rain

also gotta love the "everyone is racist because they don't think the same as me" energy your response gives off.
Yeah I'm sure the We Wuz Kangz and We Wuz Samurais guys are not racist. SMH.

Point is, Yasuke is there and he looks dope!

StueyDuck

Banned
Personally, I just want consistency in opinion (keeping the same energy). For example, if you're upset about changes to history, then be upset about the entire franchise of Assassin's Creed.

Instead people jump through hoops for this one game and do the equivalent of this gif:

oh-that-was-different-injured.gif
i mean you failed to pick a side. are you team yay for yasuke cause he was real or yay yasuke because minotaurs?

if you can't choose a position then your opinion is null and void. it's just noise.

Last edited:
i mean you failed to pick a side. are you team yay for yasuke cause he was real or yay yasuke because minotaurs?

if you can't choose a position the your opinion is null and void. it's just noise.
StueyDuck StueyDuck you already know me by now, I'm not a flag-bearer. I prefer consistency and honesty. So whatever team you want to try and force me on by saying that, feel free but you know I'm not going to claim their side. So if you feel that I am just making noise, you wouldn't be the first 🤷‍♂️

Do I think this dual protagonist storyline has potential? Yes.
Do I think Yasuke as a fish out of water protagonist has potential? Yes.
Do I think the battle pass is a good idea? No.
Do I think Ubisoft's reveal strategy has been good with this game? No.
Do I think Assassin's Creed stands as an arbiter for historical accuracy? No.
Do I think they consistently take facts from history and put their own spin on it to make it 'cool'? Yes.

Let me guess, a big open world game with a bunch of icons to clear that feels like a second job.... I once enjoyed AC, but after Odyssey and last one, I'm kinda sick of it.

I still have nightmares about AC Valhalla. Excessive big with boring gameplay loop and the same kinda bullshit missions ("please end this pain I can't take it anymore").

AC needs to be 20-30 hours, 40h to 100% max > and way less nonsense bullshit.

StueyDuck

Banned
StueyDuck StueyDuck you already know me by now, I'm not a flag-bearer. I prefer consistency and honesty. So whatever team you want to try and force me on by saying that, feel free but you know I'm not going to claim their side. So if you feel that I am just making noise, you wouldn't be the first 🤷‍♂️

Do I think this dual protagonist storyline has potential? Yes.
Do I think Yasuke as a fish out of water protagonist has potential? Yes.
Do I think the battle pass is a good idea? No.
Do I think Ubisoft's reveal strategy has been good with this game? No.
Do I think Assassin's Creed stands as an arbiter for historical accuracy? No.
Do I think they consistently take facts from history and put their own spin on it to make it 'cool'? Yes.
so if you are just this fun observer.

then why do you have such heated opinions for those that don't feel the same way. Some people can see what has happened here, The AC teams have yet to make an AC game with a "Fish out of water" character. not one...
not even black flag. Which was a silly example because pirates and privateers were mostly European at that time and in that region.

but people are seeing a pattern, DEI is no longer an industry secret, these things exist. So why can't people who notice that all of a sudden an AC game set in Japan which again, the franchise has always had character who fits into the era, now has a character that very clearly suits "modern sensibilities".

As we have all said, AC historically has never had real people as the MC , funny that all of a sudden they have it now for a game set in Japan where they've conveniently chosen a character who isn't japanese, almost like they can use the "BuHH he WAZZ ReaLS" card for anyone who catches on to what they are doing.

This has nothing to do with the fact he is black and anyone saying as such is arguing in bad faith because you know that's not what it's about.

Last edited:
Don't you find it disrespectful to the real Yasuke that they're going "no, his actual historical achievements are not enough, let's puff him up"?
What's different compared to other historical AssCreed characters is that Yasuke is famous for being a slave that did not make it to the top. His achievements were in a specific liminal space, which is what actually makes him memorable and a step beyond "lul black dude in Japan".

For what it's worth, the ancient aliens story contextualises the Odyssey monsters.

lmimmfn

This, honestly if companies continue to stick black guys/girls in historical situations where they never existed then those game companies can just fuck off.

Disclaimer before the woke pile in(won't matter anyway, will get a load of shit): playing a game where the protagonist is from Africa and IS IN Africa is fine.

Fuck off Ubisoft with your DEI woke shit and ESG funding.

No wonder Ubisoft is trash for the past 7-10 years

StueyDuck

Banned
This, honestly if companies continue to stick black guys/girls in historical situations where they never existed then those game companies can just fuck off.

Disclaimer before the woke pile in(won't matter anyway, will get a load of shit): playing a game where the protagonist is from Africa and IS IN Africa is fine.

Fuck off Ubisoft with your DEI woke shit and ESG funding.

No wonder Ubisoft is trash for the past 7-10 years
I mean, personally, I don't even care if that person is X in country Y anyway.

I mean Far Cry 2 was a white dude in Africa, but the thing is, it doesn't matter because that's just a wacky story, in a franchise that has never tried to replicate real life or anything historic.

AC has set a precedent for always wanting to create an authentic world, I mean they even have tours for students in their more recent games.

so if that's so and they had to use a historical person, they chose the one person who wasn't Japanese out of aaaaaall the other Japanese people that existed around then.

This for me purely is Ubisoft trying to score some sweet ESG and DEI points for BlackRock and there's nothing wrong with people pointing that out.

Last edited:
so if you are just this fun observer.
I didn't say this.
then why do you have such heated opinions for those that don't feel the same way.
Because those same people are listing incorrect information, false equivalencies, and fake narratives.
Some people can see what has happened here
Based on the opinions of a certain part of the internet, and that's the problem. Like I said, 5 years ago this game wouldn't have had this level of reception. Many people here would have simply called it 'that one open world AC with a black samurai'
The AC teams have yet to make an AC game with a "Fish out of water" character. not one...
If true (I'd have to look this up to be sure) wouldn't that make this game unique?
not even black flag. Which was a silly example because pirates and privateers were mostly European at that time and in that region.
You also missed the above points.
but people are seeing a pattern, DEI is no longer an industry secret, these things exist.
oh-boy-here-we-go-again.gif

DEI and SBI have you guys treating them like a looming boogeyman. That's how bad this has gotten. Again, 5 years ago this wouldn't have even been a conversation.
So why can't people who notice that all of a sudden an AC game set in Japan which again, the franchise has always had character who fits into the era, now has a character that very clearly suits "modern sensibilities".
Yasuke represents a person who was in the era this takes place in. However, at the same time he is being hailed as the result of a modern sensibility. If some of you cared about accuracy so much, why is no one checking the credentials of Naoe? :pie_thinking:
As we have all said, AC historically has never had real people as the MC , funny that all of a sudden they have it now for a game set in Japan, almost like they can use the "BuHH he WAZZ ReaLS" card for anyone who catches on to what they are doing.
Your complaint is probably the exact reason why they went in that direction. Also they are already injecting fiction to him, by making him a super samurai.
This has nothing to do with the fact he is black
I never said it was, also I kept asking for other reasons why, and the reasons being given are not strong enough of a foundation to justify this level of disdain. Myself and others here keep pointing out the holes in each argument. There's a leaky ship.
and anyone saying as such is arguing in bad faith because you know that's not what it's about.
And again, I never said it was. Check my posts. I even told another poster a few pages back to keep race out of this, because I know that's an easy way out of a good argument on both sides.

proandrad

They should have made the female character a white guy so the purple forum could also start crying. Nothing will stop Yasuke from laying the pipe on your favorite Japanese waifu.

StueyDuck

Banned
this game wouldn't have existed 5 years ago. 5 years ago you would have played as a Japanese man, much like how origins you played bayek for example.

there is going to be nothing unique about this game and your are kidding yourself if you think there will be , it will be another AC game.

so what is your point with SBI and DEI? it literally does exist, but you want everyone to pretend like it doesn't, just because YOU don't care doesn't mean these things aren't real. Again you wouldn't have seen it many years ago because DEI is new. Have you actually read up on any of this stuff or do you really think it's just people who are like "Anti-vaxxers" and so on. It is a looming boogeyman, the literal CEO of Blackrock has said on camera that he has to "force change". Anything being forced is never a good thing. i mean what more can i tell you that BlackRock doesn't tell you themselves https://www.blackrock.com/corporate/about-us/diversity-equity-and-inclusion/commitment-to-dei

does yasuke really represent the era? so to you he's the pinnacle of a person who encapsualtes Japan during this period? literally no one else to base a character off or god forbid just create a new Japanese character? The man represents fuckall of japan, he was essentially curio, a funny thing kept around because it's strange, and by the way, he wasn't the only one either. Many races were thought of that way by the Japanese during this period.

we really going to pretend that Yasuke wasn't a pick for "modern audiences" come on, now i know your taking the piss. Like Ubisoft aren't even trying to hide it themselves.

My complaint has fuck all to do with why they are using him, again you have to really have your head in the sand if you genuinely think this was just a fun passion project by a bunch of friends at an indie studio.

Last edited:
The thing I find annoying is that there is absolutely zero gameplay in the big reveal - just gushing about the protagonists. They obviously think they can take sales for granted and all they need to worry about is creating a challenging narrative. Even the sales blurb calls them ‘unlikely allies’ in a series that claims to have been ‘history first’ in the past. Hubris.

proandrad

These companies are doing this purposely to incite a reaction. Anti-woke gamers are gaslit into a frenzy pointing out the obvious, and these corporation get to pretend they aren't just amoral money making machines. Then when the game fails because it sucks and loses money they get to blame "alt-right" gamers for the game's failure to the shareholders. Stop buying into the culture war bs, Assassin's Creed has always had a disclaimer at the start of the game to let you know it's a nonsense fictional story only lightly inspired by history. If the game fails because it sucks let it be obvious that's the reason why and not because gamers are racist.

Top Bottom