• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed 2 Info from Game Informer (no scans)

Loxley

Oh, as for the new costume, I love how they incorporated the new Assassins symbol into his belt, including the wings. It's very stylistic, I think they did a perfect job of representing the fact that A.) He's a Nobleman, B.) He's a assassin in the outfit. It looks like a perfect fit for the renaissance era.

Oh, and people, bare in mind that practically no one from that time period looked like they could kick anyone's ass. Everything looked frilly and shoulder-capes were the shit.

Tylahedras said:
Altair looked like what he was, a bad ass assassin.

The new guy looks like a fruity boss character from the DMC series. I'd half expect him to start tossing out summons or fire magic. I just can't imagine a guy walking around in 1450 looking like that without attracting much more attention then an assassin would want.

Not to say he doesn't look cool, but unless he's going to fight flaming dragons from hell with massive super powers I'm just not feeling it.
Everyone looked like a fruity boss character from DMC in Renaissance Italy:

185_renaissance-clothing-2.jpg

182_elizabethan-clothing-4.jpg

Okay so that's Elizabethan, but if anything the Italians were probably fruitier.

Captain N

Assassin's Creed was my favorite game from 2007 and it looks like Assassin's Creed II could be my favorite game for Holiday 2007 2.0.

fernoca

I don't know why some are saying the new guy looks different..when he has the same facial structure, nose, skin tone..and even the scar on his lips..as Desmond's..
Heck, Desmond looked as he waxed too.. :p

I notice a distinct lack of hoods in any of those pictures. Also a distinct increase in the volume of feathers.

I agree that people dressed like fruitcakes in the 1450's, but a guy dressed like a noble wearing a hood would attract attention in public or at a private party. The hood only worked for Altair because he was supposed to look like a monk.

Can you imagine this guy trying to pretend he's a monk?

Tylahedras said:
I notice a distinct lack of hoods in any of those pictures. Also a distinct increase in the volume of feathers.

I agree that people dressed like fruitcakes in the 1450's, but a guy dressed like a noble wearing a hood would attract attention in public or at a private party. The hood only worked for Altair because he was supposed to look like a monk.

The article says he IS a nobleman. If anything, maybe this is a sign that you have to be much much more stealthy in this game.

Tylahedras said:
THEN WHAT'S WITH THE HOOD?!

Don't worry. I get what you're saying.

It's like if a rich kid today walked into a quickie mart with a nylon sock over his head. It's quite obvious what his intentions are because it is NOT a fashion statement...

Nooreo

I have a hunch.Hes gonna be alot like vamp from the MGS series,Personality wise.Its that smirk that tells me so.

Loxley

"Alright what about him over there, that Nobleman. Whys' he got that hood on?"

"He's fuck ugly."

"Or, he's trying to hide his face."

"Cause he's fuck ugly."

There could be another order of Monks that have a similar hood he can blend in with like the first game.

Having not seen anything else of the game yet there may be a reason for the hood(besides keeping a similar style to Altair).

bloodforge said:
There could be another order of Monks that have a similar hood he can blend in with like the first game.

Having not seen anything else of the game yet there may be a reason for the hood(besides keeping a similar style to Altair).

Sweet, noble monks confirmed.

Wait wasn't there supposed to be a Bioshock 2 Game Informer cover out? For whatever reason my local Barnes didn't get it but is it possible the Bioshock 2 cover and AC2 info are in the same mag coming out on the 16th?

Anyway this looks interesting but I'll remain skeptical until I get more information.

Dark FaZe said:
Wait wasn't there supposed to be a Bioshock 2 Game Informer cover out? For whatever reason my local Barnes didn't get it but is it possible the Bioshock 2 cover and AC2 info are in the same mag coming out on the 16th?
That was last months mag.

a.wd

Loxley said:
"Alright what about him over there, that Nobleman. Whys' he got that hood on?"

"He's fuck ugly."

"Or, he's trying to hide his face."

"Cause he's fuck ugly."

So awesome...:lol :lol :lol

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
I barely played the first AC, but the Venice setting has me slavering like a fool for this one.

Chupakun

I don't think the costume succeeds at all. The mish-mash of styles doesn't work. I'm not a clothes designer but I can tell it's not working as well as it should. The cowl, in particular, needs to go, despite being somewhat iconic.

Doodis

Tylahedras said:

You seriously have a problem with this? Like, the whole premise of tapping into your genetic code to relive your ancestors' memories is something you're okay with? But SHIT SON! Nobelmen didn't wear hoodies in the 1400s! That ain't keepin' it REAL!

Chuckle worthy.

sciplore

I love the new design do not see the hate it is getting right now. It fits the setting while still retaining the look of the original game. I can imagine how awesome it will look to see Ezio leaping off buildings with that cape flying behind him.

Course it would be awesome if they include a physics system so that the cape can get caught on things as a way of screwing up missions but not everything is going to be perfect.

Issun23

From what I remember from my History lectures, hats were very popular in late 15th century Italy and there was a wide variety of them. Ezio's doesn't look so out of place as one may think, even though it's clear the team tried to make it look like Altair's.

106asuh.jpg

Acosta

I like the design of Enzo, I think it suffers a bit compared with Altair because that one was more simple and more elegant. But for a character settled in Venice at XV century, I think it does a nice work mixing the original design of Altair with the flavour of the year and place.

from the rubbish quality screens, graphics looked pretty much the same...but the first game looked great anway, and this new setting will no doubt be more arresting

edgefusion

I cannot wait for this game! I absolutely loved Assassin's Creed 1 and the story has me much more intrigued than most game stories manage to make me. Plus Desmond is hot.

The two that posted actual examples from 15th century/early 16th century Europe were spot on. People need to realize that his character design looks precisely fitting for this time period. In fact, he looks more bad ass than most people would look in the Renaissance period. I highly doubt the concept artists/character artists would NOT consult source material to design him. Let's be grateful he's not wearing a frilled Ruff collar.

~ fucking excitement +1

I searched and nothing came up - this is sort of on-topic and since this is an active thread I figured I'd ask:

I am playing AC right now and twice now I made Altair do some sort of slide move - like the one in Mirrors Edge. I can't figure out how I did it, does anyone know the proper way to execute this move? I didn't know you could do this.

jett

D-Member
Chupakun said:
Oh yeah... how does Enzo swim in that gear without drowning?

How does Altair jump 10 stories into a bunch of hay without breaking his legs and nobody noticing? How does video game character #45678 do something that's unrealistic? Magic!

jett said:
How does Altair jump 10 stories into a bunch of hay without breaking his legs and nobody noticing? How does video game character #45678 do something that's unrealistic? Magic!
45678 is the hand of god in Black and White. Don't question God.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
I searched and nothing came up - this is sort of on-topic and since this is an active thread I figured I'd ask:

I am playing AC right now and twice now I made Altair do some sort of slide move - like the one in Mirrors Edge. I can't figure out how I did it, does anyone know the proper way to execute this move? I didn't know you could do this.

Eh? Pretty sure that doesn't exist. Unless you mean jumping through a merchant stand.

Doodis said:
You seriously have a problem with this? Like, the whole premise of tapping into your genetic code to relive your ancestors' memories is something you're okay with? But SHIT SON! Nobelmen didn't wear hoodies in the 1400s! That ain't keepin' it REAL!

Chuckle worthy.

Yeah I really do, see one is part of the internal logic of the game, and might be a poor story choice (it is), the other is complete nonsense from within the games own logic. It requires not just a plot point annoyance but continuous nonsensical belief structure. (That a guy trying to be an assassin would wear a fucking nobleman outfit with a goddamn hood on it.) I mean he might fit in at a masquerade ball but if I were another nobleman I might be slightly fucking suspicious when the guy dressed like me but wearing a damn hood showed up.

"Hmm, I think I'll let that man who looks like an assassin walk right up to me at my dinner party." I'm sure the guards would be thrilled to let him through the front gate,

Guard A: "Hey didn't that guy kinda look like a murderer?"
Guard B: "Yeah but fuck the count he cut my pay twice this month"

IT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE. He wore a hood before because it didn't look out of place given the time frame and style of people around him. And it let him blend in with monks (sort of). But now he's wearing a hood because Altair wore a hood and you don't follow up your 2+ million selling franchise with a whole new character, whether it makes sense or not.

AND I STILL THINK THE CHARACTER LOOKS COOL!

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
jett said:
But the first game was insanely linear. You completed any two "missions"(which intel served no purpose whatsoever) and the game immediately jumped into assassination mode, giving you the exact location of the target ony our map for no real reason. I'm asking for something that is actually LESS linear and a more natural way of progressing through the game.
I actually went ahead and did pretty much all the missions and saved everyone and shit. I played the PC version which had more missions and variety I guess and I had to complete three before each assassination.

But yeah, the game was only linear in that you had to complete the assassinations sort of in order. The game was very non-linear for the most part. You chose how to complete all your missions, choose the orders you'd do the assassinations for each section, do the intel collecting missions that you wanted to do in the order you chose, and I could go on. It was an extremely open design and what you are suggesting would turn it into some sort of Renaissance Hitman 2. That'd be pretty badass, but it wouldn't do justice to what made the first game so unique.

Slavik81

Sho_Nuff82 said:
This would be great. The combat was one of the more natural things about the first game.
The combat in the game was totally wrong. You could stand in a square and easily kill 30 guards. The only thing that happened when you were spotted was that a bunch of guards would come and waste your time.

Guards should be scary. You should be able to kill one, or maybe two or three with skill, but the assassin shouldn't be a one-man army. It should be about stealth and be forced into hiding if a dozen guards are after you. In the first game, they weren't able to do that because the guard AI wasn't very good. They'd sometimes want to kill you for what seemed like no reason at all, while other times they'd not catch on when they should. You couldn't have serious consequences for guards catching you when they sometimes did so for ridiculous reasons.

Now, whether they want to do that at all is not something I know, nor if they'll be able to improve the AI to the point at which it's possible... But that's what I'd really like out of Assassin's Creed 2.

Ether_Snake said:
Eh? Pretty sure that doesn't exist. Unless you mean jumping through a merchant stand.

Nah, I know what I saw. He definitely slid over the top of crates, not in any way connected to a merchant stand. Maybe it's just a random canned animation that happens...

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Nah, I know what I saw. He definitely slid over the top of crates, not in any way connected to a merchant stand. Maybe it's just a random canned animation that happens...

Don't you mean the horizontal wallrun, like in PoP? There is no sliding. Probably just a glitch.

Top Bottom