• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed 3 Wii U is Identical to other Platforms

Huff

Banned
I repeat, how? The developers should be completely idiot... we have the quadruple of video RAM, even with the RSX is impossible. It's quite bizarre, indeed, they can achieve better features with so more RAM.

OMG so much ram.

a port is only as good as the developer making it or else every pc port of a console game would be far superior.

is there really any multiplatform games announced for the Wii-U that is "better" in the Wii-U..? just asking, because I think these kind of topics are pretty pointless right now.

Depending on how you feel about the pad, if a given game is "identical" it still has one or more pad features that could make it better. Off TV play, for example.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Depending on how you feel about the pad, if a given game is "identical" it still has one or more pad features that could make it better. Off TV play, for example.
I'm more interested in games that are technically superior. ie - faster framerate, better image quality, etc.

vazel

Banned
I should hope that it's able to run it as good as hardware that's 7 years old. What would've been good to see is the game running at 60fps.

omonimo

Banned
It's always going to be an issue when launching new hardware, because you need to do all the stuff like porting the engine and content creation tools while getting familiar with a new architecture.

Unless a developer really has the time to put the effort in or is working on an exclusive title, I don't expect much in the way of improvements. There's also the economic incentive, of course, which isn't great when it comes to making multiplats. Like the idea that someone would leverage the different strengths of the 360 and PS3 to improve each version in applicable areas is something you almost never see.

Never happened in the past, if you mean that. I mean, stuff like graphic, was never downgrade in the new system, even with unstable SDK, from what I remember.

To be fair, i don't remember too many consoles releasing where devs were instantly able to make it perform at its absolute best. If Wii U is able to hit the top level of what other consoles are doing on launch day, then that's good isn't it? Especially with this being a port.
You've sorta got a point there. If the Wii U's day one is nearly the best that current gen offers then it ought to have some nice legs. It's not very exciting though.

Erethian

Never happened in the past, if you mean that. I mean, stuff like graphic, was never downgrade in the new system, even with unstable SDK, from what I remember.

I wasn't talking about a downgrade, I was talking about being able to leverage the greater horsepower of a new generation of hardware when the game is a multiplatform cross-generation release.

dark10x

I wasn't talking about a downgrade, I was talking about being able to leverage the greater horsepower of a new generation of hardware when the game is a multiplatform cross-generation release.
In the past, however, multi-generational "up-ports" of games released early in a consoles life span typically ran very well. Improved image quality, faster framerates, etc were all normal and expected.

Why do you expected a downgrade? :/ With 2 GB of RAM? It's simply...impossible.

As already corrected, it's 1GB currently. Plus, whatever they are doing with the tablet screen is going to suck some up. Plus, there's the matter of whether the GPU and I/O systems can handle better textures (not casting aspersions, simply stating fact).

It's likely eventually you will see some benefits of the extra RAM in Wii U, but it might be a while, because the extra amount isn't gamechanging when you factor in the 2nd screen. More of a subtle amount, if you throw out some figure like say, 768MB of RAM after 2nd Wii U pad usage.

Eideka

Banned
In the past, however, multi-generational "up-ports" of games released early in a consoles life span typically ran very well. Improved image quality, faster framerates, etc were all normal and expected.

And the Wii U is seemingly derogating to this rule...

At least from what we can gather.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
OMG so much ram.

a port is only as good as the developer making it or else every pc port of a console game would be far superior.

Most of these PC ports are better though. Better FPS, AA and textures and some of them even have the option for mods.

Even when developpers put little efforts in their PC version, see ME3 that have the same textures as the console versions and no gamepad support, its still better thanks to higher FPS, resolution and mods. And some would argue mouse aiming makes the combat easier/better.

optimiss

Every one is reading too much into this. All he is saying is that it is exciting that for once all 3 consoles are powerful enough to handle a modern game.

Schlomo

Non-news. Have you payed any attention to his wording? I'm pretty sure he uses a loose definition of "identical". Like Bayonetta was identical on PS3 and Xbox, while Wii ports (or iOS versions) were often "radically diminished".

DGRE

Banned

Examples? I remember a game like Gun didn't really look better on 360 than it did on PS2.

Eideka

Banned

They already are, graphically speaking. The IQ alone makes a big difference.

And this is in the case where little to no effort is put, more often than not the PC has higher resolution textures, more detail, additionnal options, 60fps possible, DX11 stuff (more recently) etc...

Huff

Banned
Most of these PC ports are better though. Better FPS, AA and textures and some of them even have the option for mods.

Even when developpers put little efforts in their PC version, see ME3 that have the same textures as the console versions and no gamepad support, its still better thanks to higher FPS, resolution and mods. And some would argue mouse aiming makes the combat easier/better.

recently i'd agree. a couple years ago all you would hear about was shoddy PC ports.

I'm just saying improved hardware doesn't mean a port will magically be better. The ZOEHD collection as a recent example

yes i think that running worse would be a possibility since its a new console and the developers are not familiar with it.

It's always going to be an issue when launching new hardware, because you need to do all the stuff like porting the engine and content creation tools while getting familiar with a new architecture.

Unless a developer really has the time to put the effort in or is working on an exclusive title, I don't expect much in the way of improvements. There's also the economic incentive, of course, which isn't great when it comes to making multiplats. Like the idea that someone would leverage the different strengths of the 360 and PS3 to improve each version in applicable areas is something you almost never see.

Has this ever been the case though for NEW hardware? I understand working with current generation stuff but I assume the Wii U is more powerful than the 360/PS3 so I wasn't even expected a downgraded port of any of the 'current' games coming out.

Like people have said, every PC port is better (except in extreme examples I'm not aware of) due to greater resolution, better AA, etc ... most of those "shoddy PC ports" were because they didn't take advantage of the new hardware enough, not because they were worse.

King_Moc

Banned
You've sorta got a point there. If the Wii U's day one is nearly the best that current gen offers then it ought to have some nice legs. It's not very exciting though.

I expected about a 50% increase and i think this is in line with that. Yeah, not terribly exciting though.

Durante

Examples? I remember a game like Gun didn't really look better on 360 than it did on PS2.
Gun on 360 was at least Gun Xbox rendered at 1280x720. This would be equivalent to AC3 on WiiU being the same as on other consoles, but rendering at ~2150x1200.

Tiu Neo

Well, at least it's easy to port games to Wii U? That's good news. Even better if it can get PS3/Nextbox games with minimal downgrades, would solve one of the biggest problems that Wii had.

StuBurns

Banned
So does the 360 version. AC-Brotherhood was a god damned mess on 360 (and PS3, no doubt). Horrible framerate and loads of tearing.

The question I have is whether or not the WiiU version can actually improve upon those issues.
For what it's worth, the PS3 version was v-sync'd at the Eurogamer Expo. I imagine all three have zero screen tear this time.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
UBI Soft is correct. I can't remember the last time a game on a next generation console was identical to the same game on consoles a generation behind.

Why bother being an early adopter unless you absolutely have to have the new Mario game? Might as well wait another year for at least one or two big guns to be within reach.

dark10x

For what it's worth, the PS3 version was v-sync'd at the Eurogamer Expo. I imagine all three have zero screen tear this time.
That's good to hear. I couldn't believe how bad Brotherhood was.

That said, I'm planning to buy the Vita game next week instead and wait for the PC version of AC3 (unless the WiiU version is better than we're expecting).

Funny part is that, a few months ago, saying that a WiiU version of a game it will be exactly the same as the PS3 or 360 one would be a bad new for WiiU users, instead of a good new.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
In this world you are often faced with two options when it comes to third party games, an identical port or an inferior port. I'd rather have the first.

PS3 owners would have been happy to hear this if it were Bayonetta for example.

It's not exactly the same though is it...

it has maps and weapon selection on the gamepad, radar displays and cannon stuff during naval battles etc.

Frankly, given that they've added.. well, anything.. they are releasing it within ~20 days of the other versions (in NA), and the version doesn't suck ass -- that puts it above most previous third party Nintendo ports.

I expect better in future though.

dark10x

In this world you are often faced with two options when it comes to third party games, an identical port or an inferior port. I'd rather have the first.

PS3 owners would have been happy to hear this if it were Bayonetta for example.
PS3 hardware is of a similar age to 360. They are of the same generation.

Effect

When compared with EA having AC3 being equal to the other platforms is a good thing. Though it could be PR speak. I actually expect the Wii U version to be a bit better in some areas like the wall thing people have suggested, frame rate, etc. However they aren't going to say that as that could possibly upset Sony or Microsoft. It doesn't seem like Ubisoft has a deal like Activision does with Call of Duty to prompt a specific version of the game above all others. So they are doing their best to treat them all equally. Which is fine.

Of course it could be Ubisoft trying their best to be the "good guy" (and remind people of this when they can) when it comes to the Wii U when you have EA putting out inferior versions of Fifa 13 and Madden on the Wii U compared to the other platforms and now Activision/Treyarch not having Elite on the Wii U. Ubisoft I bet wants to stay in the good graces of Nintendo and Nintendo fans. They're going to have a good holiday with all the games they're putting out. A good first impression to Wii U owners is likely to help next holiday be a repeat for them when it comes to whatever game they release then.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
PS3 hardware is of a similar age to 360. They are of the same generation.

So? PC ports can often be shoddy and they are miles more powerful than the consoles. Third parties can be lazy so it's best just to hope for a copypaste port than an enhanced one.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
it took lots of developers 3-4 years to get PS3 ports from 360 on par.

launch games are hacked together in a very short amount of time, without dev kits until the last minute, bad documentation, tools and support. Getting results that are instantly on par with platforms that have had years to mature and get the most out of is actually pretty good.

dark10x

So? PC ports can often be shoddy and they are miles more powerful than the consoles. Third parties can be lazy so it's best just to hope for a copypaste port than an enhanced one.
Shoddy PC ports will still look and run better than the console versions 99.9% of the time.

It's a completely wrong assessment. It's capable of better in some respects, but 360 has advantages in others.
You misread that statement. He's saying the PS3 is capable of more than the ports are delivering NOT that it is more capable than 360.

madmackem

As already corrected, it's 1GB currently. Plus, whatever they are doing with the tablet screen is going to suck some up. Plus, there's the matter of whether the GPU and I/O systems can handle better textures (not casting aspersions, simply stating fact).

It's likely eventually you will see some benefits of the extra RAM in Wii U, but it might be a while, because the extra amount isn't gamechanging when you factor in the 2nd screen. More of a subtle amount, if you throw out some figure like say, 768MB of RAM after 2nd Wii U pad usage.

I doubt it takes anwhere near that amount to run the sceond screen, who know the 1 gig to the os might cover the screen?.

Top Bottom