• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed 3 Wii U is Identical to other Platforms

Is this what's being counted as a win for Wii U hardware now?

Anyways, I still wouldn't rule out framerate problems or something, wait for analysis. You know how this PR nonsense is.

Hey, parity is, something. Good or bad it's something. It implies Wii U isn't weaker than PS360.

We know that the U is more powerful than the PS3 and 360. Compared to the 360 it has 4 times the RAM, 3 times the CPU cache, more than 3 times the eDRAM on the GPU (which also happens to be on-die) and a GPU that's at least 2 generations ahead of the Xenos. Seriously, people need to knock this idea of the Wii U not being more powerful than the PS3 and 360 on the head, it's getting ridiculous.

Effect

If you like EA games, then I'd be worried. Everyone else seems to be able to port their games over with all their features intact as well as some enhancements brought in with the game pad.

Not just EA games but games done by EA themselves. Mass Effect 3 is being ported by Straight Right and that seems to actually be fine with additional items. It's Fifa and Madden that are the issues and are missing actual features and new upgrades that are suppose to be in this years entries and those are being done by EA internally. They shouldn't even have this years numbers attached them.

It's a completely wrong assessment. It's capable of better in some respects, but 360 has advantages in others.

It depends how you use them I guess, which is why I didn't say that it's better outright... I meant to say that the PS3 was always capable of better, but devs didn't achieve it with their ports (at first).

I know that 360 can do some things easier, friendlier rasterizer, larger amount of flexible, pooled RAM etc. I've heard splitting up jobs for the different processor can be a bitch etc, but the point is - when fully exploited, the PS3 can offload work and free up resources that can mitigate those differences and even help it churn out a few very very beautiful games that look better than 360 games. I guess what I was trying to say, is that there is precedent for devs not achieving parity in ports where that kind of optimisation is possible.

I'm not going to pretend this is a massive achievement, but I appreciate that they at least hit parity, because some other efforts probably won't... I actually think FIFA 13 is still an enticing prospect on Wii U for the pleasing higher res texture work, and the uninterrupted gameplay enhancements, but the interviews stating what they've left out is just the crappiest news and PR they could have put out there.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
I'm sure I'm not the only one who is getting a bit fed up of all this back-and-forth over Assassin's Creed 3's comparative quality to the PS3 and 360 versions. Barely a week goes by without another "No it isn't! Yes it is!" thread popping up.

If you're looking forward to the game and its features, then great, save up for it, you know already that it's the one you really want. Nobody is honestly going to be able to give a true hardware performance answer until the game is out on all hardware, though. Wait for the inevitable website article for a true analysis. On a basic level though it is pretty much identical graphics wise to all the other versions.

VariantX

We know that the U is more powerful than the PS3 and 360. Compared to the 360 it has 4 times the RAM, 3 times the CPU cache, more than 3 times the eDRAM on the GPU (which also happens to be on-die) and a GPU that's at least 2 generations ahead of the Xenos. Seriously, people need to knock this idea of the Wii U not being more powerful than the PS3 and 360 on the head, it's getting ridiculous.

It may very well be more powerful but, until the public sees games that clearly demonstrate this difference in power, don't expect people to change their minds.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I'll believe it's got parity with the PS360 version when I see it.

but it is Fifa 12 on Wii-U..

It's not. More like 12.9 or 13b or something.
From the interviews given, it sounds like its a fork of the code that eventually became FIFA 13. It's missing a few implementations that made it into FIFA 13 PS3/360, but arguably, those versions are missing things that the Wii U version has too.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
It may very well be more powerful but, until the public sees games that clearly demonstrate this difference in power, don't expect people to change their minds.

Which is why Nintendo needs to show what Retro Studios and their Mario Galaxy team has in the works. They're their 2 best teams when it comes to doing both good graphics and art.

RyL

Banned
... I know that 360 can do some things easier, friendlier rasterizer, larger amount of flexible, pooled RAM etc. I've heard splitting up jobs for the different processor can be a bitch etc, but the point is - when fully exploited, the PS3 can offload work and free up resources that can mitigate those differences and even help it churn out a few very very beautiful games that look better than 360 games. I guess what I was trying to say, is that there is precedent for devs not achieving parity in ports where that kind of optimisation is possible...

Unfortunately, very few developers have unlimited time and money on their hands and a deadline free working schedule...

Seems like it would have been more work to get it to run identical instead of "ever so slightly enhanced", but of course, that is from the outside looking in. With a healthy dose of ignorance to boot. Is that correct?

Isn't it sad that a new console is coming out and we are worried about whether it is on par with 6/7 year old consoles?
I honestly believe we already knew it was better, even with the added streaming tech and whatnot. Just the media being the media. Doing their job to stir the pot. And gaf being gaf.

So does the 360 version. AC-Brotherhood was a god damned mess on 360 (and PS3, no doubt). Horrible framerate and loads of tearing.

The question I have is whether or not the WiiU version can actually improve upon those issues.

I think the E3 build of the U SKU had v-synch enabled, so there shouldn't be any screen tearing assuming that they keep it for the released game.

Effect

Can't EA be sued for doing this? People will be buying Fifa 13 and Madden 13 on the Wii U with the very real and obvious assumption that is what they'e getting but what they are getting isn't that. Can't they be hit with false advertising and possible fraud if someone decided to make an issue of it?

Perhaps that needs to happen to make them stop doing this and at least be honest in naming the product. They could and should be calling these games something else.

VariantX

Can't EA be sued for doing this? People will be buying Fifa 13 and Madden 13 on the Wii U with the very real and obvious assumption that is what they'e getting but what they are getting isn't that. Can't they be hit with false advertising and possible fraud if someone decided to make an issue of it?

Perhaps that needs to happen to make them stop doing this and at least be honest in naming the product. They could and should be calling these games something else.

That probably depends on what they put directly on the game case. They can talk all about these features they want on the tv ads as long as they don't add the Wii U logo to them.

EVIL

why would people expect better? because the hardware is better?

Its a port, (copy paste job) where the only artist involved are those who get to do some Wii U os integration art (logo's etc) and some UI stuff for the gamepad screen. The rest of the work goes to code, where they change some stuff so it runs on the wii u and change the control input and maybe some stuff for the gamepad tablet thing.

It's not. More like 12.9 or 13b or something.
From the interviews given, it sounds like its a fork of the code that eventually became FIFA 13. It's missing a few implementations that made it into FIFA 13 PS3/360, but arguably, those versions are missing things that the Wii U version has too.

FIFA 13 on the U will be the superior version despite the lack of Ultimate Team and the first touch feature. The most important thing about a football video game is how realistic the football is, and having direct control of off-the-ball runs will put it streets ahead of the other SKUs in terms of realism. There'll be a slight learning curve but those of us that have experienced the wonders of Pro Evo on the Wii will take to it like ducks to water. I'm hoping there are going to be plenty of people online playing with the Pro controller only...there's going to be plenty of pwnage to be had lol.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Personally, i'm just glad Ubisoft at least bother to put their major AAA franchise on a Nintendo console, and not some stupid spinoff game like the Wii was plagued with.

It would have been really bad if Wii U got something like Assassin Creed : Onrail Spinoff Edition.

He didn't mention graphics! People just automatically jump to that conclusion!

There are several eye reports of textures and lighting looking noticeably better than the PS3 version.

Taker666

When it comes down to it I don't think we'll ever get a clear/true answer as to which console version looks best-

Wii U vs PS3 Assassin's Creed III ...from the same event-

http://thegamershub.net/2012/08/assassins-creed-iii-preview/
"I suppose that the biggest question everybody has about the Wii U version has to do with just how good the game looks. Honestly, it looks incredible on Wii U. So incredible, in fact, that it makes me wonder why the PS3 version looks as ropey as it does. This isn’t to say that the PS3 demo I played looked abysmal, far from it, but it definitely didn’t look as smooth and texture rich as the Wii U version does. Of course, as the Wii U version is actually a port, the most likely explanation for visual differences is that the PS3 version is an older build, perhaps an E3 demo, while the Wii U version is up to date."

http://www.gamesradar.com/wii-u-good-news-and-bad-news-after-more-quality-time-nintendos-new-console-gamescom/
"The bad news: The PS3 version was playing beside it – and the difference is night and day. Right now, PS3's version of Assassin's Creed III is, simply put, better. Even gamers without my robot eyes would be able to see the difference.

Smoother edges, better frame-rate, more detailed textures… it's akin to the kind of difference we used to see in multiplatform games when the PS3 version would look shaky in comparison to Xbox 360 release. It could change before release of course, but that's how it is right now."

Confirmation of technical graphical differences will lament soon enough. The OP is most likely simply about overall game feature parity.

onQ123

it's just that devs don't want to piss off millions of potential consumers by making games on one platform better than the others.

Strange strange, bizzaro statement imo. I don't understand how getting the exact same version, on what is supposed to next gen hardware, is a win for the wiiu?
Even at a new consoles launch last gen ports at least see a boost in the graphics and/or performance. I don't see this as great news in anyway shape or form.

Midou

I thought people were touting it as the superior version before, not just expecting it to match in quality. I was always going to get it on PC down the line anyways, but congrats to ubisoft I guess. With it coming out over 7 years after the 360's release, I suppose it's an achievement, how much could technology improve in that much time anyway?

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I think it's silly how much emphasis people are putting on launch ports as the definitive indication of how powerful Wii U is. It's like all conventional sense has gone right out the window.

Outside of framerate, what do people expect? A lot of multiplatform games this gen don't even look better on PC outside of higher res and AA, because the assets and build are the same. Isn't it misleading as well, to say that Wii U is not even 2x more powerful than 360 because something like Arkham City is not running at 60fps - when a gaming PC that runs a game like that at 60fps is a lot more than just 2x the current game consoles?

I realize there are rationalizations going about, such as "well everyone knows how to make games now [LOL] so these games should be fully optimized and show just what Wii U can really do."

I just don't think it's quite that simple.

Besides, we're not going to know what the differences really are until the final build are in people's hands and playable. We don't have full confirmation if the newer GPU in Wii U is creating benefits such as AA, better lighting, etc.

Isn't it sad that a new console is coming out and we are worried about whether it is on par with 6/7 year old consoles?

It's sad that there's a new console coming out and people are evidently determined to prove that because Wii U isn't 10x more powerful than the PS3, it is exactly the same as the PS3. And using a port of a game using the same assets to do it.

Strange strange, bizzaro statement imo. I don't understand how getting the exact same version, on what is supposed to next gen hardware, is a win for the wiiu?
Even at a new consoles launch last gen ports at least see a boost in the graphics and/or performance. I don't see this as great news in anyway shape or form.

Last gen was a sea change in kinds of technology. It was easy to make an upgraded port that wowed people by slapping a bunch of shaders and Cool Mapping into a game to show off how awesome the new systems were.

Multiplatform development today doesn't even work that way much of the time. Why do people think so many are unhappy with the PC versions of games being "held back" by the HD consoles because aside from framerate on high end rigs and AA settings, so many PC ports are the exact same game as on the consoles? And despite the talk of "well everyone knows how to use hardware to its maximum potential today", a launch port on new hardware of a triple A production value endgame title is not a trivial thing. I think folks really don't understand how superior a gaming PC today is, to the PS3 and 360, when they load the PC version and actually see a visibly measurable difference in how the game looks and runs.

Midou

When it comes down to it I don't think we'll ever get a clear/true answer as to which console version looks best-

Wii U vs PS3 Assassin's Creed III ...from the same event-

http://thegamershub.net/2012/08/assassins-creed-iii-preview/

http://www.gamesradar.com/wii-u-good-news-and-bad-news-after-more-quality-time-nintendos-new-console-gamescom/

I imagine the difference will be not much larger than the average PS3/360 comparison, where some games have obviously better lighting or shadows or whatnot on one platform over another, but I doubt any multiplat games on Wii U are going to be more than minor improvements here and there.

Top Bottom