• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed III: American Revolution setting confirmed [Game Informer/Box Art]

Status
Not open for further replies.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
France could've been decent, but at least this is completely different from both of the previous locations.
Would've also loved to see China during the Opium Wars too, and that would've been completely different.

Fjordson

I'm honestly pretty excited about this. Really interesting time period. And most importantly, it's far removed from any previous AC setting.

I don't know why, but putting an American flag as the backdrop in an image just looks gaudy.

Just screams "FUCK YEAH, AMERICA!!!!!!!!! *guitar solo plays and a bald eagle sheds a tear*"
I dunno, I think the colonies flag looks pretty dope. Nice little touch.

duckroll

If he is helping the American nation to be born?

I don't think that would fit with what we know about the Assassin's Creed lore at all. Assassins don't create nations or believe in power over the people. It is the Templars who are interested in manipulating the course of history and creating empires.

antonz

I'm honestly pretty excited about this. Really interesting time period. And most importantly, it's far removed from any previous AC setting.

I dunno, I think the colonies flag looks pretty dope. Nice little touch.

Yep 13 Star Flag is pretty dope. Have one from the Bicentennial. Put it up on 4th of july etc

There were four major cities implied by
the flare on the map that Jupiter showed Desmond at the end of Revelations
- Boston, New York, Philadelphia, and Montreal- so this fits perfectly.

It would be interesting to see how this pans out, as far as who are Templars and who are Assassins. The pure ideals of the revolution imply the founders would be assassins and loyalists would be Templars. However, many of the founding fathers were Freemasons, a group believed by many conspiracy theorists to be the modern incarnation of the Knights Templar. Throwing in the fact that many of them were slave owners could also tilt them to Templar status. Perhaps this will be a time when the distinctions between the two factions are more difficult to discern?

They already established in AC2 and AC:B that the founders of the US were Templars. They basically created a government (democratic, capitalist), that would allow them to control the population from behind the scenes.

More than likely, the Assassins will try to influence what other key members aren't Templars, and work with the Natives who the Templars are attempting to eliminate because they don't conform with the ideas they're trying to spread.

Duffyside

Banned
Erm, did you skip all the bonus content in the previous AC games? The hidden message code stuff throughout the series confirms that Washington is a Templar, and that America in general is a country created to further the Templar cause by creating a culture and society that is most easily controlled by the Templar order's ultimate plan.

It's not new.

I went through a lot of it in II, that was it. All I remember is that George Washington had the Apple at some point, but I didn't take that to mean he was a Templar. Ezio had the Apple, after all, as did Altair.

I also remember them making Edison and Henry Ford out to be huge pricks.

But yeah, if they're going to make fucking GEORGE WASHINGTON a bad guy I'm going to be ranting quite a bit on here.

Edit: Pre-Order Your Ignore-Function Today!

big_z

seems like a time period thats easy to shoehorn into the existing game formula. at the same time it's a very boring choice/setting.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I went through a lot of it in II, that was it. All I remember is that George Washington had the Apple at some point, but I didn't take that to mean he was a Templar. Ezio had the Apple, after all, as did Altair.

But yeah, if they're going to make fucking GEORGE WASHINGTON a bad guy I'm going to be ranting quite a bit on here.

Probably because Edison and Ford were historically giant pricks.

I don't know why, but putting an American flag as the backdrop in an image just looks gaudy.

Just screams "FUCK YEAH, AMERICA!!!!!!!!! *guitar solo plays and a bald eagle sheds a tear*"

I think you have some personal demons to deal with if that's what an American flag screams to you in this context. I suggest therapy or medicinal weed, either one will probably help.

I wouldn't be surprised if Desmond and Native American Assassin switch through past and present on the fly like Sonic CD. Parkour fast for eight seconds after hitting a spinning thing to activate animus; bam, you're in the past.

rdrr gnr

Washington had his issues. Betrayed some of his friends. His significance can be overblown.

ezekial45

Banned
Feudal Era Japan next plz

Why? That seems like the most common era that people want to play, but to me it just sounds boring. There have been so many games set in Feudal Japan. It's been done.

The great thing about this series is that we get to see eras that have barely, if at all, been tackled in video games.

UrbanRats

The only thing that's keeping me positive (since i'm completely underwhelmed by this news) is that maybe they're playing the long game here, picking each revolution, one at a time.
So maybe we'll see French Revolution, Russian revolution and Victorian England, eventually.

America DID exist before 911, Alan Jackson, Bush Administration, etc. ya know

Are you really that sensitive about artistic license?

They're playing with the notion that America itself is a tool developed by a group of people that want to rule over mankind because they feel it's in their best interest. Obviously the people that played a role in the formation of said country are likely to be members of that group.

If you want to get nit-picky, there are very few real bad guys in the AC universe. There are those who feel that humans should have complete free will to achieve their full potential, and those who believe they must be controlled for their own safety and the betterment of the population as a whole.

Neither is evil. They want the same thing by different methods. So Washington was one of the people who felt people needed to be guided. Boo-fucking-hoo.

rataven

For those saying this is a boring a time period or setting....are you familar or unfamiliar with it's historical relevance?

Because personally, I'm beyond stoked. I love this era in history, and by the looks of the GI banner, this takes place in 1776, right in the thick of things. It's going to be great.

C-Jo

Agree 100% with the feudal Japan comments. Tenchu/Shinobido is pretty much what you're looking for.

The only thing that's keeping me positive (since i'm completely underwhelmed by this news) is that maybe they're playing the long game here, picking each revolution, one at a time.
So maybe we'll see French Revolution, Russian revolution and Victorian England, eventually.

Russia or England could both be awesome.

Please, never this.

Never.

There are 100s of games in this setting or variants of it, stay as unique as you've always been AC.

Even though it has seen many times, I'm looking at Yakuza Kenzan and I would love an AC setting of this. But a game more like AC : two or three cities, lots of lands in between and differents maps ala AC Brotherhood (da vinci war machines missions) to explore more fun levels, like raiding a shogun's castle like a ninja...

Duffyside

Banned
I don't think that would fit with what we know about the Assassin's Creed lore at all. Assassins don't create nations or believe in power over the people. It is the Templars who are interested in manipulating the course of history and creating empires.

Ugh, I already hate it. The founding of America would totally fit into that. Really, they're going to frame the end of a monarchy as enslavement of the people? A man who could anoint himself king but instead brings up this idea of term-limits, imposing it on himself and this in direct contrast to a monarchy is the bad thing? ... Whut?

Yuripaw

Banned
Does anyone else feel frustrated like I do? Sure, as a game it could be cool. For the AC storyline...it's just annoying. This entire series feels like filler at this point with the constant returning to the past like this. I want Desmond's story!

I really loved AC2, and at first I thought Brotherhood would be filler, but it turned out to be really good. I suppose Revelations was necessary, but that game already was starting to feel like filler, and I was completely burned out that i couldn't continue playing it.

Having Washington and other founding fathers be misguided or think-they-are-doing-good would be a great story dynamic. The antagonists in these games have always been selfish dudes selfishly killing their way to weird alien power things. Having Washington and friends try to capture power for the Templars as a way to achieve freedom for the colonies sounds like it could really open up some interesting moral directions.

Russia or England could both be awesome.

Russia is being tackled in the comic book series. Likely it won't be a game, since Ubisoft is all about trans-media with the Assassin's Creed series.

Having Washington and other founding fathers be misguided or think-they-are-doing-good would be a great story dynamic. The antagonists in these games have always been selfish dudes selfishly killing their way to weird alien power things. Having Washington and friends try to capture power for the Templars as a way to achieve freedom for the colonies sounds like it could really open up some interesting moral directions.

The only antagonists that were just straight up selfish and evil were the Borgias in Brotherhood. All of the other major antagonists were acting for the exact reasons you say - they were trying to do what they felt was right and best for humanity. Their idea of the best way to handle things simply differs from the Assassins.

Jtrizzy

If new Assassin is Native American.......isn't he setting up his fellow natives up for the subsequent genocide?

I haven't seen a great explanation for this so far. The idea that a Native American would be assisting in the American Revolution is way out there honestly, but we haven't seen the explanation yet.

Does anyone else feel frustrated like I do? Sure, as a game it could be cool. For the AC storyline...it's just annoying. This entire series feels like filler at this point with the constant returning to the past like this. I want Desmond's story!

Ughh, a purely Desmond game would be horrible. I just want more of the historical environments.

Russia is being tackled in the comic book series. Likely it won't be a game, since Ubisoft is all about trans-media with the Assassin's Creed series.

Hmm, that's disappointing.

Even though it has seen many times, I'm looking at Yakuza Kenzan and I would love an AC setting of this. But a game more like AC : two or three cities, lots of lands in between and differents maps ala AC Brotherhood (da vinci war machines missions) to explore more fun levels, like raiding a shogun's castle like a ninja...

Tenchu series was enough for me

Specifically Tenchu1 and 2

Wish we got Kenzan though T__T

This has me interested....I did not buy Brotherhood or Revelations but this setting could allow for some variety compared to previous games

duckroll

It would also fit with the overall tone of the series where they pander to all the conspiracy theories about the Illuminati, the significance of the various American icons and imagery, etc.

Ugh, I already hate it. The founding of America would totally fit into that. Really, they're going to frame the end of a monarchy as enslavement of the people? A man who could anoint himself king but instead brings up this idea of term-limits, imposing it on himself and this in direct contrast to a monarchy is the bad thing? ... Whut?

Let's wait until we've all beaten the game before we judge its intricacies, hmm? We don't even know how all this is gonna go down, just that historically, in the AC universe, GW was a Templar.

Also I would have loved a female protagonist as well. It'd never happen, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom