• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed III: American Revolution setting confirmed [Game Informer/Box Art]

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

Yeah this could turn into a pr nightmare for ubi if they are not careful with how they handel some aspects of the setting and figures of the time. I don't think turning the founding fathers especially washington into a villian , then instructing players to assassinate them will go over very well. Washington, nor any of them were perfect men by any strecth but they are considered heroes by a great many people and for a lot of good reasons. I'm also curious to see if ubi will try to tackle anything related to slavery, as that could be a disaster for them aswell if not handle correctly. Love the concept but its going to be interesting to see where they go with it.

Come on, we're talking about a game series where the final stage in one of the games is to basically break into the Vatican as a one man army, kill a bunch of people, and then fight the Pope in a one on one battle with magic alien powers.

I'm kind of worried from an architectural standpoint honestly.
But that might just be a lack of american architecture knowledge on my part.

I wouldn't be surprised if they saved Paris/London for standalone expansions though.

Yeah this could turn into a pr nightmare for ubi if they are not careful with how they handel some aspects of the setting and figures of the time. I don't think turning the founding fathers especially washington into a villian , then instructing players to assassinate them will go over very well. Washington, nor any of them were perfect men by any strecth but they are considered heroes by a great many people and for a lot of good reasons. I'm also curious to see if ubi will try to tackle anything related to slavery, as that could be a disaster for them aswell if not handle correctly. Love the concept but its going to be interesting to see where they go with it.

How would they tackle slavery other than to say that yes, the people founding America had lots and lots of slaves and treated them poorly?

rdrr gnr

masonic_dollar.gif

:p
You're onto me, shit.

duckroll

I wouldn't be surprised if they saved Paris/London for standalone expansions though.

3-story houses = Viewpoints. (lol)

Yeah this could turn into a pr nightmare for ubi if they are not careful with how they handel some aspects of the setting and figures of the time. I don't think turning the founding fathers especially washington into a villian , then instructing players to assassinate them will go over very well. Washington, nor any of them were perfect men by any strecth but they are considered heroes by a great many people and for a lot of good reasons.
Eh, it's not hard to see a "Templars were controlling Washington et al but AMERICA CRYING EAGLE came through with Ezekiel Adider freeing them from the apple's influence, blah blah they were innocent of the nefarious plot all hail AMERICA LAND O THE FREE".

I'm also curious to see if ubi will try to tackle anything related to slavery, as that could be a disaster for them aswell if not handle correctly. Love the concept but its going to be interesting to see where they go with it.
If there's a AC3 Revelations I could see maybe (mayyyyyybe) doing something with Nat Turner. Followed by a Harriet Tubman Facebook game with lots of sliding bars.

Duffyside

Banned
Duffy - Did you also hate The Da Vinci code for daring to suggest that Jesus Christ was an actual man who had sex and children? Cause by the same token that you feel AC is slandering the founding fathers, others felt the same way about that book and Jesus Christ.

Did I feel the same way? Noo... but I'm not a Christian. I certainly understand why people did feel that way, though even if I were a Christian I wouldn't be offended by the idea of Jesus having kids.

But regardless, I'm not saying the game shouldn't be made. I'm saying that I would be bothered if it is handled in certain ways that I feel are shitty, and if that does happen I won't support it and hope others will feel the same way.

If you don't like the Gandhi example, what about if it were Martin Luther King? He was actually a Nazi who used the Apple to turn his skin black and then brain-wash people into blahblahblah, CIA, yadayada? Ooo! Or Barack Obama got it and used it to fake his birth certificate! I mean, they CAN make anything they want (and in this country, sell it without much obstruction, thanks to some pretty important people some couple hundred years ago).

And I CAN say I think it sucks, again, thanks to some pretty cool dudes... who are clearly just using me like a cog in their sick web!!!!

I have this sinking feeling Ubi is going to retcon the Founding Fathers into good guys just to appease the market segment that can't handle bad guy Americans in a fictional story.

rataven

We are not going to be assassinating Washington. Oh my.

The AC series has, for better or worse, usually followed the real history of those people it's characters are based on. At least when it comes to life and death. See: the end of ACII.

duckroll

If you don't like the Gandhi example, what about if it were Martin Luther King? He was actually a Nazi who used the Apple to turn his skin black and then brain-wash people into blahblahblah, CIA, yadayada? Ooo! Or Barack Obama got it and used it to fake his birth certificate! I mean, they CAN make anything they want (and in this country, sell it without much obstruction, thanks to some pretty important people some couple hundred years ago).

The problem with these examples are not that the stories are offensive in any way, but rather that they are just... bad stories. If there is a more compelling development of the story behind those claims, it could be more interesting, but as you present them, they wouldn't be very appealing. :)

rdrr gnr

How would they tackle slavery other than to say that yes, the people founding America had lots and lots of slaves and treated them poorly?
Well, in the context of war, there is a bit of nuance to that. Slaves fought on both sides and were actively recruited by both sides. iirc, some slaves received freedom after the fighting. The British even tried to incite riots, hoping the slaves would turn against their masters.

Duffyside

Banned
The problem with these examples are not that the stories are offensive in any way, but rather that they are just... bad stories. If there is a more compelling development of the story behind those claims, it could be more interesting, but as you present them, they wouldn't be very appealing. :)

So you agree with me completely and want a subscription to my newsletter? Perfect.

Or you could climb a tree. This takes place before the Templars cut them all down.

I have this sinking feeling Ubi is going to retcon the Founding Fathers into good guys just to appease the market segment that can't handle bad guy Americans in a fictional story.

Some of them could be bad and some could be good. If only there was some convenient way to divide the founding fathers into two opposing groups...

ReaperXL7

Come on, we're talking about a game series where the final stage in one of the games is to basically break into the Vatican as a one man army, kill a bunch of people, and then fight the Pope in a one on one battle with magic alien powers.

I agree but many people hold these men to a level that they think probably should not be touched, history can be an emotional thing for people. Also let's not kids ourselves the moment places like fox news find out that there is a game in which washingtton is a villian and you get to assassinate him, they and those like them will have a field day with the "video games" are evil stuff.

You'd be surprised how sensistive topics like this can be for many people. One wrong move could turn into a backlash with topics like this. I'm not saying they should not be explored but should they be, they need to do it carefully.

rataven

Depending on where exactly this takes place in the colonies, the infrastucture could vary wildly. I wonder if we'll be doing more off road type traversal. More woods and backroads, rivers and streams. Something different to accomdate for the lack of constructed architecture.

It turns out Franklin's kites were actually big enough to hold a person. Find them all!
It wasn't just Jefferson/Washington/Adams/etc, there were plenty of other people.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Founding_Fathers_of_the_United_States

I mean, there's gotta be more than a few forgotten shitheels on that list that could get stabbed without anyone caring. I mean, this guy may sound nice:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Whipple

but dying atop a horse with a heart attack? Dude got the poison blade.

Weird, I thought France was a lock. So many hints in that direction.

I hope at least the founding fathers will be bad guys, just to see all the whining.

I don't really think it will be multi-setting. It sounds really expensive to do different cities for which there will be very little texture re-use.

duckroll

Or you could climb a tree. This takes place before the Templars cut them all down.

Too late.

When George was about six years old, he was made the wealthy master of a hatchet of which, like most little boys, he was extremely fond. He went about chopping everything that came his way.

One day, as he wandered about the garden amusing himself by hacking his mother's pea sticks, he found a beautiful, young English cherry tree, of which his father was most proud. He tried the edge of his hatchet on the trunk of the tree and barked it so that it died.

Some time after this, his father discovered what had happened to his favorite tree. He came into the house in great anger, and demanded to know who the mischievous person was who had cut away the bark. Nobody could tell him anything about it.

Just then George, with his little hatchet, came into the room.

"George,'' said his father, "do you know who has killed my beautiful little cherry tree yonder in the garden? I would not have taken five guineas for it!''

This was a hard question to answer, and for a moment George was staggered by it, but quickly recovering himself he cried:

"I cannot tell a lie, father, you know I cannot tell a lie! I did cut it with my little hatchet.''

The anger died out of his father's face, and taking the boy tenderly in his arms, he said:

"My son, that you should not be afraid to tell the truth is more to me than a thousand trees! Yes - though they were blossomed with silver and had leaves of the purest gold!''

Did [biI[/b] feel the same way? Noo... but I'm not a Christian. I certainly understand why people did feel that way, though even if I were a Christian I wouldn't be offended by the idea of Jesus having kids.

But regardless, I'm not saying the game shouldn't be made. I'm saying that I would be bothered if it is handled in certain ways that I feel are shitty, and if that does happen I won't support it and hope others will feel the same way.

And I CAN say I think it sucks, again, thanks to some pretty cool dudes... who are clearly just using me like a cog in their sick web!!!!

No, you can say you think it sucks because of a system that gives them the opportunity to use you like a cog in their sick web... just as it provides us all with the opportunity to seek the greatest degree of freedom human society has known.

I see your point, I just don't see why certain historical figures are supposedly off limits. If you wanted to say that Martin Luther King was an alien that came to earth and used his heightened wisdom and powers of influence to better humanity... sure, why not. Cute story.

If you want to write fiction that says Barack Obama is actually a Templar operative, go for it. As a liberal, I don't care. There were lots of presidents called out as Templar operatives in the AC2 secret files if I remember correctly. So why not Obama? As far as a character in historical fiction, he's no more off limits than Truman, Kennedy, Eisenhower, Nixon, Reagen, etc. They are/were public figures, and they are/were historical figures, which makes them fair game for historical FICTION.

I agree but many people hold these men to a level that they think probably should not be touched, history can be an emotional thing for people. Also let's not kids ourselves the moment places like fox news find out that there is a game in which washingtton is a villian and you get to assassinate him, they and those like them will have a field day with the "video games" are evil stuff.
You aren't going to assassinate Washington because that's not what happened in history.

You may get to groin-punch him, though.

hamchan

Boooooooooo. I got to beat up the pope, now I want to beat up George Washington.

I really like the AC series and would be on board for III regardless but this news has me even more hyped. Really presents the developers with the opportunity to reinvent the gameplay to fit with a time period that may not be as conducive to the established gameplay as the periods already explored. The Native American angle has a lot of great possibilities as well. I am on board the hype train like I have never been with the series.

Duffyside

Banned
No, you can say you think it sucks because of a system that gives them the opportunity to use you like a cog in their sick web... just as it provides us all with the opportunity to seek the greatest degree of freedom human society has known.

I see your point, I just don't see why certain historical figures are supposedly off limits. If you wanted to say that Martin Luther King was an alien that came to earth and used his heightened wisdom and powers of influence to better humanity... sure, why not. Cute story.

If you want to write fiction that says Barack Obama is actually a Templar operative, go for it. As a liberal, I don't care. There were lots of presidents called out as Templar operatives in the AC2 secret files if I remember correctly. So why not Obama? As far as a character in historical fiction, he's no more off limits than Truman, Kennedy, Eisenhower, Nixon, Reagen, pick a president, I don't care.

All right, dude. Agree to disagree. I think it's horribly fucked up to paint someone as something they weren't. I mean, I can keep ratcheting up the examples, to the dumbest degree imaginable to make my point; "Hitler was an alien who was killing the Jews because he had a crystal ball which showed one of them being the devil incarnate! He was actually the best human being ever! What a wonderful guy!" But it wouldn't serve any purpose any more.

Yes, I do. And please, with that art in the OP, it's definitely about saving America.

I take it you haven't played the AC games, or at the very least, haven't explored the Subject 16 documents in AC2 and Brotherhood...

You'd be surprised how sensistive topics like this can be for many people. One wrong move could turn into a backlash with topics like this. I'm not saying they should not be explored but should they be, they need to do it carefully.

Honestly, for all the talk about being offended by historical fiction, I'd be more offended if Ubisoft pulled a 'Tea Party' and just removed all reference to slaves because it might make some people uncomfortable that their heroes were also racists that treated some people as less-than-human.

They don't have to explore it or make it a major part of the story, all I want to see is some reference to the fact that yes, these people had slaves waiting on their ever need and order.

antonz

They are just basically turning freemason or rumored freemason people into Templars. How they work it out in the end will be interesting.

All right, dude. Agree to disagree. I think it's horribly fucked up to paint someone as something they weren't. I mean, I can keep ratcheting up the examples, to the dumbest degree imaginable to make my point; "Hitler was an alien who was killing the Jews because he had a crystal ball which showed one of them being the devil incarnate! He was actually the best human being ever! What a wonderful guy!" But it wouldn't serve any purpose any more.

Oh come on, drop the silly founding fathers adoration and the unbelievably shitty analogies. 'Horribly fucked up'.. jesus. The game does not even paint templars as bloodthirsty maniacs, more as manipulators who think humanity should not be left to its own devices (yes, they also murder and assassinate, but it's not like the assassins are particularly doing well on that front either..)

rdrr gnr

Yes, I do. And please, with that art in the OP, it's definitely about saving America.
I just think there is too much going for it be about 'merica and that excessive jingoism that often accompanies it. And as I said before, if Washington is actively a Templar, there must be some substantive internal conflict in the upper echelons of the political sphere during this time period (not to mention the divides at the pedestrian level). It may be saving America -- but from itself, with a focus how and and on what values the country should be founded, rather than the establishment as simply an end-goal. It's up to Ubisoft and its developers to make sure the history is utilized properly. And, I don't know how familiar you are with the games, but those overarching themes (even the ones you would find in Italy) are often passive entities, with the meat of the game focusing on self-sustaining, isolated, fictional events. Plus, this setting for an open-world action game?

Tookay

Eh, it's not hard to see a "Templars were controlling Washington et al but AMERICA CRYING EAGLE came through with Ezekiel Adider freeing them from the apple's influence, blah blah they were innocent of the nefarious plot all hail AMERICA LAND O THE FREE".

I don't know why, but putting an American flag as the backdrop in an image just looks gaudy.

Just screams "FUCK YEAH, AMERICA!!!!!!!!! *guitar solo plays and a bald eagle sheds a tear*"

Sorry if this sounds too 'Murrican for everybody, but what prompts comments like this? I almost find the strawman mockery of blind patriotism to be as obnoxious as blind patriotism.

Shouldn't it have been the French Revolution instead? That would fit a lot better.

Yes.

Duffyside

Banned
Oh come on, drop the silly founding fathers adoration and the unbelievably shitty analogies.

No to the first, cuz (some of them) deserve it. And clearly I already said I was giving up the second: no need to keep making those analogies. Don't think I'll top that Hitler-Alien-Savior thing anyway.

Jtrizzy

The artwork shows an apparent half native american, half colonist wearing a medieval assassin's hood and robes, pointing something out to George Washington, presumably on a battlefield during the American Revolution.

i don't understand how people can think that the period in history which set the foundation for the modern day way of life is boring or uninteresting.

I just think there is too much going for it be about 'merica and that excessive jingoism that often accompanies it. And as I said before, if Washington is actively a Templar, there must be some substantive internal conflict in the upper echelons of the political sphere during this time period. It may be saving America from itself, with a focus how and and on what values the country should be founded, rather than the establishment as simply an end-goal. It's up to Ubisoft and its developers to make sure the history is utilized properly.

In so far as the AC universe is concerned, America is nothing more than a system through which the Templars can attempt to influence and control the masses, and through which the Assassin's can try to protect free will.

All of the emotional connotations and meaning people place on the idea of 'America' are meaningless. They have no stake in 'saving' or 'destroying' America. If they can get their hooks in and use the systems to spread their influence, so be it. If not, they will attempt to overthrow it.

Neither group has any political affiliations or ideals. They have acted across monarchies, communist governments, and eventually democracies, and any members of those governments were simply using their positions to pursue the agenda of their group. The country could burn down along with everybody in their political party if that what was deemed best for the cause.

hamchan

The artwork shows an apparent half native american, half colonist wearing a medieval assassin's hood and robes, pointing something out to George Washington, presumably on a battlefield during the American Revolution.
This game is going to be AMAZING.

Micerider

Good thing, the change of setting and era was more than needed.

Now, there is ONE disapointment : the architecture. I do not think that we would have the opportunity to have interesting urban setting in Colonial America (compared to the previous cities found in the game, especially during Ezio's times). That might reduce the climbing aspect by some degree.

BUT

They might also take this opportunity to shift the focus of the gameplay to a more wide-open world with a richer "countryside" (which have been pretty bland in the serie thus far) to explore...yeah, à là RDR I would say (as long as we avoid dry lands to skip redundancy).

It's a great time in History that has not really been exploited by the Videogame industry yet, and I honestly think that the AssCreed teams are the perfect fit to start with (they already did a fantastic job to transcribe the Crusade time and the Renaissance).

An for those who are a bit suspicious about a native american in the main role : well, past games have shown that you become an Assassin's by endorsment of their values, I can easily see a native fighting for their cause if he is pushed toward it. Besides, It does not have to be the same Lineage as Ezio or Altaïr, as long as the new character lineage goes to Desmond. I would have enjoyed a female character for a change though.

Never under estimate the predictable caracter of human stupidity. Especially with american people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom