• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassins Creed Liberation HD Coming January 14th - $20

Sioen

First impresssions on xbox 360 is that it looks like a jagged blurred mess graphically after playing ac4 on my playstation 4 but that was to be expected.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
LOD is horrible on the 360 :/

Same on PS3, this has gotta be a carryover from the way Vita version is done.
I'm curious to see how PC version handles.

What's funny is that not only HD version still costs less than the original, it's also smaller in size by almost a gigabyte. How do they do that.

Xanathus

I just received my Uplay key from Greenmangaming in my email, updating Uplay now.
edit: it's activated, downloading it now

Teddified

Looks like Uplay actions/rewards are up now, and luckily it added my "Complete Sequence 1" to it. Glad I didn't have to replay.

Kerub

Banned
It's sad to hear that many of the bugs are still in the game. If the PC impressions are great, I might still try this out though for the low price though.

bryanee

I thought there was something wrong with my TV at the start of the game.

That dream sequence is blurry as fuck.

Twas fine after that.

Krakn3Dfx

Got this for $4 during the holidays on GMG, pricing error that went on for quite a while I think. Also own it on the Vita. Looking forward to playing it on a bigger screen, hopefully without some of the audio and control jank that the Vita version suffered from.

Roto13

I thought there was something wrong with my TV at the start of the game.

That dream sequence is blurry as fuck.

Twas fine after that.

Yeah, the intro mission seems to have the exact same filter that drove me to stop playing Max Payne 3. I was worried for a minute but then it was over so whatever. :p

So how much better is this game than AC3? (if at all)

Well, it gets going a lot faster. So far I haven't run into any bullshit missions like Paul Revere or or the prison or anything. That could change, of course.

I thought ACIII was ok outside of the way-too-long intro and some horribly designed missions. And the Frontier.

Still has the not-always-reliable context sensitive controls that have been in every AC game.

Roto13

Looks like one of the Uplay rewards is the New York mission with Connor. And his Tamohawk is another one.

So that's how you get those.

Dr Dogg

Game's is up for install on Steam right now.

Says 3.8gb but is only downloading 164mb for me hahahaha can see this is not going to be it all.

Nev

Banned
This is one of the worst and most boring games I played last year and definitely the worst Assassin's Creed game I've played. Getting nightmares remembering the forced costumes.

I suggest you to avoid it at all costs.

Ridley327

Same on PS3, this has gotta be a carryover from the way Vita version is done.
I'm curious to see how PC version handles.

What's funny is that not only HD version still costs less than the original, it's also smaller in size by almost a gigabyte. How do they do that.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's just because they dropped the "multiplayer" mode, which had quite a few FMVs to explain things.

This is one of the worst and most boring games I played last year and definitely the worst Assassin's Creed game I've played. Getting nightmares remembering the forced costumes.

I suggest you to avoid it at all costs.

Yes! Such a terrible mechanic.

Zafir

PC version runs fine, and there is some graphical settings, though not as many as AC4. I'm running it on max settings and it's smooth.

The port itself, is a very mixed bag. Half of it looks ok but there's some things which just look ugly. They've done up some faces, but on the other hand, some are just left to look god awful. That and the LOD is really bad.

Screenshots -
rk0zlj3.jpg

I wonder how well this'd run on my crappy rig that chugged on both AC3 and AC4 most recently.

Hopefully better, considering it's just an upport from the Vita's lower specced hardware. I'm looking forward to reporting back when the damn thing finishes updating from Steam.

Jacobi

Banned
Well, looks pretty amazing for a handheld port. Does the PC Port run well on weaker systems or is it like the other AC Ports?

Zafir

I've wanted to get this forever. Should I get the PS3 version or stick to getting it for Vita when it drops more in price?
Well, HD remake still seems the better version. I own both, and the Vita version suffers from poor audio quality and nasty aliasing. That said, if you don't mind it and would prefer a portable copy, the Vita version doesn't play terribly.

Well, HD remake still seems the better version. I own both, and the Vita version suffers from poor audio quality and nasty aliasing. That said, if you don't mind it and would prefer a portable copy, the Vita version doesn't play terribly.

Thanks, brother. I guess I'll pick up the console version soon then. Really annoying how the Vita version is like £1 cheaper than the new HD version.

GolazoDan

Does buying this on PS3 get you anything in AC4 on PS4?

Might try this even if it's a bit like AC3. I didn't flat out hate AC3 so maybe this'll be okay?

Sioen

Does buying this on PS3 get you anything in AC4 on PS4?

Might try this even if it's a bit like AC3. I didn't flat out hate AC3 so maybe this'll be okay?
I don't think so. This game is pretty good although I found AC3 to be superior. Game isn't long aswell.

Dunan

I too could not finish the Vita version, not least because of those stupid touch puzzles.

If saves are cross-compatible I might just pick it up on PS3 used, but I'm not really willing to repeat the chapters I've already finished. WHn I'm jonesing for AC I'll just pop AC2 in again.

And was there anything fun about this game's multiplayer? Did I just miss it?

Carbonox

So much divisive opinions on this. It looks OK, nothing special but cos it's an AC game I would like to play it especially cos the main character is a woman which will offer a welcome and different perspective. It doesn't have any multiplayer so I might even Platinum it. I've got the Platinum in AC2, 3 and 4 so why not to pass some time...

Dr Dogg

Initial observations on the pc port.

Game appears to be locked at 60-62fps (tried modding the .ini file and it lets me select a 120hz res but still maxes out at 62.4fps). Vsync will kick you down to 50, 40 or 30 if fps drops down just under 10 above each respective value. Similar graphic settings to AC III, so environment quality, texture quality, aa quality, shadow quality and vsync. Anti Aliasing method isn't stated but has 3 levels (off, normal, high and very high) but is a real resource hog on the GPU.

On a 4670k @ 4.4ghz and a 780 with a slight OC I was getting drops down to 50 and sometimes as low as 40 in busy populated areas but mostly 60fps. Seams to be Heavily GPU dependant and as stated above the heaviest burden is the AA implementation. Got the feeling it's MSAA and on very high it's a killer. At max it pushes 90% GPU usage and turned off it drops to around 40-50%.

Luckily downsampling really shines. Even a modest 3200x1800 massively boosts texture quality, cleans up aliased edges better than the method in the options and is less of a GPU hit. I'm sure using something like Nvidia Inspector or Radeon Pro to inject aa would be a better option than the in game option.

So at a guess it should run on a modest CPU and the process only uses 350-400mb but depending on your GPU might need some tweaking.

Okay, I finally got it from Steam proper. (updating took ages thanks to crappy net)

Game runs smoothly enough (30+ FPS consistently even when in towns) on my old ass Core 2 Duo T9550 laptop coupled with a Mobility Radeon HD 4670 card (well below the stated minimum requirements on the Steam page which mandate an i3 2xxx and a Radeon 4870 card lol) but I have to turn everything down to OFF/Normal (there is no Low option), except for the Textures which I can keep at High (it is a VRAM hog though, as evidenced by GPUz, it takes up 511 MB of VRAM)

Definitely makes for a better performing game as compared to AC3 and ACIV, especially observable in the opening scenes in the town with a lot of folk milling about. In the mainline games, even being in a populated town would tank the FPS to the 20s and below, thanks to the main CPU core being choked by the game. (both Boston and Havana come to mind in III and IV respectively)

Not a bad looking game either considering it's Vita origins and unlike III and IV, I can definitely play this on the go with my laptop. I had to move the previous two games onto my desktop, the sub 30 cinematic framerate was absolutely appalling.

Roto13

The "Persona" system would be a lot better if you could either change on the fly (maybe with the restriction of not being seen) or if the Lady could climb and run. I don't mind playing as the Slave since at least she can move around.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Looks like one of the Uplay rewards is the New York mission with Connor. And his Tamohawk is another one.

So that's how you get those.

Niiiiiice. I guess I can live with a cut escape sequence.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's just because they dropped the "multiplayer" mode, which had quite a few FMVs to explain things.

I see. Yeah, that makes sense.

Lime

Textures are pretty good. Meshes and lighting could use a bit of work, but considering it's an up-port from the Vita version, the visuals are sufficiently respectable:

The sound design/quality needs a bit more ambience - you can definitely tell it's a portable game from the way the sound is designed.

Top Bottom