• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Origins E3 hands on gameplay videos and impressions are going up

The hidden blade stuff is the only thing that's seriously killing me.

It's a staple of the series. If I want to sneak up behind a dude and assassinate him there shouldn't be anything preventing me from doing so.

I saw people doing this in videos. You just can't so it to higher level enemies or majors (yellow name tag). I like the route they're going down. The combat in the old games was too easy and uninteresting.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
I saw people doing this in videos. You just can't so it to higher level enemies or majors (yellow name tag). I like the route they're going down. The combat in the old games was too easy and uninteresting.

Right. That's what I'd read. Being able to simply sneak around entire camps and hidden blade them made things a bit too much of a cake walk. I appreciate a bit of challenge. Also, I agree that it makes sense in the context that this main character is the first in the line of what will become the order of Assasins.

TitusTroy

they've made a ton of changes, at the end of the day it's STILL gonna be an AC game. They're not changing it to Hitman, or Metal Gear, or Splinter Cell... ಠ_ಠ

they say the same thing about every AC game...they said Unity was going to have major changes...they said the same about Syndicate...they make minor changes and hype it up as being huge (instead of horses you ride camels, instead of traveling around by roof you ride trains etc etc)...they do nail the historical settings but the gameplay is repetitive as hell...they also need to re-focus their attention on the main character...it can't be a coincidence that the best AC games (AC2 and Brotherhood) both had the most interesting and charismatic lead character- Ezio

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
they say the same thing about every AC game...they said Unity was going to have major changes
Unity did have major changes, from the way parkour works to the point that people playing it like the older games had a much harder time, to the way equipment works to being more RPG-lite and removing the counter kill system and improving AI, to the mission design being WAYYYY less linear than the last two games due to a focus on more open level design thanks to the scale of Paris.

...they said the same about Syndicate...
No they didn't. They plainly said that AC:Syndicate was more about iteration and that the changes came first and foremost with the combat system which was much different than the one in Unity and the way they had to craft the level design to meet the same standard they set with Unity and also maintain a degree of historical accuracy with the wide open streets.

they make minor changes and hype it up as being huge (instead of horses you ride camels, instead of traveling around by roof you ride trains etc etc)...
Literally the first AC game where you can ride camels but ok. Also the first time they've focused on RPG elements to this degree and a systemic world beyond things like being able to knock down barrels and npc factions fighting each other.

they do nail the historical settings but the gameplay is repetitive as hell...they also need to re-focus their attention on the main character...it can't be a coincidence that the best AC games (AC2 and Brotherhood) both had the most interesting and charismatic lead character- Ezio
Ok, what other AC game is anywhere near as systemic as just this small slice of the map? Use detail because i'm genuinely curious having played the rest of the games, I certainly don't remember day and night being a factor in the AI of the guards or npc schedules. Or such a large push towards sandbox design like being able to light arrows with fire to set other things on fire or animals attacking npcs and such. Also, can you please show me a video of previous AC gameplay that looks like this? Because I must've missed the dark souls/witcher esque combat system in previous games.

Darklor01

Unity did have major changes, from the way parkour works to the point that people playing it like the older games had a much harder time, to the way equipment works to being more RPG-lite and removing the counter kill system and improving AI, to the mission design being WAYYYY less linear than the last two games due to a focus on more open level design thanks to the scale of Paris.

No they didn't. They plinly said that AC:Syndicate was more about iteration and that the changes came first and foremost with the combat system which was much different than the one in Unity and the way they had to craft the level design to meet the same standard they set with Unity and also maintain a degree of historical accuracy with the wide open streets.

Literally the first AC game where you can ride camels but ok. Also the first time they've focused on RPG elements to this degree and a systemic world beyond things like being able to knock down barrels and npc factions fighting each other.

Ok, what other AC game is anywhere near as systemic as just this small slice of the map? Use detail because i'm genuinely curious having played the rest of the games, I certainly don't remember day and night being a factor in the AI of the guards or npc schedules. Or such a large push towards sandbox design like being able to light arrows with fire to set other things on fire or animals attacking npcs and such. Also, can you please show me a video of previous AC gameplay that looks like this? Because I must've missed the dark souls/witcher esque combat system in previous games.

giphy.gif

Kssio_Aug

Yeah. I expected another Assassin's Creed typical situation, with minor improvements, and calling it the best AC game yet. But no... this time they REALLY seemed to change a lot. From combat to climbing mechanics, HUD elements, gear, level. They changed pretty much everything, except the tower sync (a shame, but that's ok).

As someone who did not buy AC Syndicate cause it felt to me the same old, same old; and as someone who wasn't expecting anything from a new Assassin's Creed, I have to say that I can't understand what kind of changes people were expecting gameplay wise. It looks pretty different for me, and much more interesting too. Definitely interested.

My only concerns now are a) how they will execute these new gameplay elements (given the gameplays we have, it seems it's doing well) and b) how will the sci-fi / modern day story work in this one (in that regard I have no faith though).

Squire

Banned
I really love systemic design, but I never take that stuff at face value during marketing/promotion. I'm old enough to remember when Skyrim was going to be wildly systemic and well, LOL.

The proof is in the pudding with that sort of thing. Ubisift has the work put in already thanks to Far Cry and Splinter Cell, but you still don't know for sure until the game is in your hands.

That being said, you really have to work overtime to not give them credit for the pretty fundamental changes on display here. I didn't want to get my hopes up when the rumors were it was basically an RPG now, but those reports are turning out to be far more accurate than I'd ever guess. It's bold. Just reading this thread it's clear the choices are already courting controversy. Even if it doesn't work out perfectly in the end, I think AC is going to benefit from the genuine shakeup happening here.

TitusTroy

as far as Unity the one thing I loved was the massive crowd sizes which was a nice improvement but of course it caused massive performance issues so they scaled that back in a later patch...my point about the camels was that they are just changing the form of traversing the map--- horses to camels...that's not what I consider a major evolution it's just a result of whatever new setting the game is in

I've played all the AC games on PC and I don't recall if Origins is the first to use day/night cycles...as far as NPC schedules etc, my point is that they always hype up everything before the game is released but then it's just a minor tweak or gets old really quick...I want to see a major combat overhaul...they have made tweaks the last few games but it's still very boring and way too easy...why can't they make the combat more challenging?...are you really comparing the combat in Origins to The Witcher or Dark Souls???

I'm also not convinced that scaling pyramids gives you the same sense of scale and height as climbing other really tall structures

Ubisoft nails the world design but they never use it to its full potential...it's a gorgeous place to wander around and take in the sights but the 'game' part gets old quick...the missions are all variations of the same 3 or 4 throughout the entire game...and when combat is so easy it never feels like I'm progressing towards anything...I like when Ubisoft thinks outside the box, like with the mission when you find out that Haytham is a Templar

are you really comparing the combat in Origins to The Witcher or Dark Souls???
Looks just as bad here as it is in those games. Weak attack, weak attack, weak attack, dodge. It's what you do to every single enemy, bosses included. Beat Orphan of Kos with my contacts falling out and blinding me simply by repeating that pattern.

I seriously don't understand why they don't simply straight up steal Arkham's combat.

Crossing Eden

I really love systemic design, but I never take that stuff at face value during marketing/promotion. I'm old enough to remember when Skyrim was going to be wildly systemic and well, LOL.

The proof is in the pudding with that sort of thing. Ubisift has the work put in already thanks to Far Cry and Splinter Cell, but you still don't know for sure until the game is in your hands.

That being said, you really have to work overtime to not give them credit for the pretty fundamental changes on display here. I didn't want to get my hopes up when the rumors were it was basically an RPG now, but those reports are turning out to be far more accurate than I'd ever guess. It's bold. Just reading this thread it's clear the choices are already courting controversy. Even if it doesn't work out perfectly in the end, I think AC is going to benefit from the genuine shakeup happening here.
I mean there's like several hours worth of gameplay footage on youtube already. Here's a video of a player struggling with stealth because due to the lack of eagle vision, he couldn't see the guards who were asleep while he was infiltrating the camp, and thus was surprised when they showed up and alerted the camp. There's videos of guys messing around with the more sandboxy elements like lighting arrows on fire and making bigger fires or freeing lions from a cage,
one that immediately attacked a horse.
Or of crocodiles attacking and destroying boats, orknocking npcs into the water and eating them and then trying to destroy your boat to get to you. Or those same dudes angering a hippo by ramming their boat into him and then being chased in water and on land. The little amount of nuances i've seen in the past few days have definitely added up, right up to the fact that guards now take cover when they see their allies being hit by a projectile but didn't see where it came from., the way Senu tells you what activity an npc/animal is up to, or even how for the first time in four years you can pull out your melee weapon outside of the context of combat. I feel like this is the culmination of everything Ubi has been building towards when they've been talking about how they want to make truly systemic games where players have unique experiences. Obviously the biggest worry is polish. As this game's map is seemingly as big if not bigger than AC4's map, Caribbean sea included. Like if they keep every area as varied as Siwa, then the possibilities are gonna be insane.

as far as Unity the one thing I loved was the massive crowd sizes which was a nice improvement but of course it caused massive performance issues so they scaled that back in a later patch...my point about the camels was that they are just changing the form of traversing the map horses to camels...that's not what I consider a major evolution...
They didn't scale the crowds back actually. Actually here's a thought, when have mounts in AC ever mattered? Before it was always a horse and that first and every horse had the same speed and such, in this one, different vehicles from chariots to just a single horse to a camel have different traversal speeds.

I've played all the AC games on PC and I don't recall if Origins is the first to use day/night cycles...as far as NPC schedules etc,[/QUOTES]
The TOD never dictated the type of npcs behaviors of the visibility of the AI or the types of AI behaviors you'd see. Only what type of npcs stations you'd see.

my point is that they always hype up everything before the game is released but then it's just a minor tweak or gets old really quick...I want to see a major combat overhaul
They've literally done this. There is a huge difference between this, and this

...they have made tweaks the last few games but it's still very boring and way too easy...why can't they make the combat more challenging?...are you really comparing the combat in Origins to The Witcher or Dark Souls???
Ubisoft nails the world design but they never use it to its full potential...it's a gorgeous place to wander around and take in the sights but the 'game' part gets old quick...the missions are all variations of the same 3 or 4 throughout the entire game...and when combat is so easy it never feels like I'm progressing towards anything...I like when Ubisoft thinks outside the box, like with the mission when you find out that Haytham is a Templar
Have you literally seen or read nothing about this game, the combat is souls/witcher inspired right down the a near identical control scheme and camera placement.

Gaz_RB

Disappointed by the heavy RPG mechanics. I like my Assassin's Creed with enemies that don't have levels. I hate when my damage and stuff is impacted by levels (in these types of games).

Give me Assassin's Creed: Wildlands.

cb1115

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
so did they really change the free-run button from RT/R2 to A/X? not being able to control the camera while free-running seems bad

Darklor01

You ever get the impression that Ubisoft has failed at enough games that when they learn what works, they start combining elements of the games which can be applied from other franchises into each new game regardless of which of their studios it comes from?

Kssio_Aug

so did they really change the free-run button from RT/R2 to A/X? not being able to control the camera while free-running seems bad

According to Game Informer, you don't need to press anything to run anymore, just move the analogic stick all the way up.

"The run button is gone. Instead of pressing a button to switch into a high-profile sprint, the character moves at top speed when the analog stick is jammed in a direction."

Disappointed by the heavy RPG mechanics. I like my Assassin's Creed with enemies that don't have levels. I hate when my damage and stuff is impacted by levels (in these types of games).

Give me Assassin's Creed: Wildlands.

Really? I enjoy the beefier combat origins presents at times. Not all ninja work.

According to Game Informer, you don't need to press anything to run anymore, just move the analogic stick all the way up.
Is that just for running, or are they ditching the idea of low and high profile actions?

I remember back in AC1 where running and parkour alone would get you the attention of guards. Another thing that's been watered down over the years.

dex3108

Is that just for running, or are they ditching the idea of low and high profile actions?

I remember back in AC1 where running and parkour alone would get you the attention of guards.

You still need to press A/X to climb up and B/O to go down while pushing left stick but there is no high profile button anymore.

Kssio_Aug

You still need to press A/X to climb up and B/O to go down while pushing left stick but there is no high profile button anymore.

Yup, that's my understanding from it as well.

That basically makes you free from being constantly holding the R2/RT button, and just hold A/X when performing a climb. That said, move the camera freely while running may be as easier as ever.

HowZatOZ

Banned
Looks great for Assassin's Creed but I think I'm spoiled now with Zelda and not having so much information on the screen. Took me aback a bit with just how much is on screen.

Love the setting, looks gorgeous...but ass creed. I know if I buy it, it'll be the same old same old.
Why is this a game series about an assassin with such a crap stealth system? Maybe this one has a better stealth system?

Love the setting, looks gorgeous...but ass creed. I know if I buy it, it'll be the same old same old.
Why is this a game series about an assassin with such a crap stealth system? Maybe this one has a better stealth system?
Perhaps because it's a game about a group of assassins who originally made high-profile, very public assassinations that was more about sending messages versus being stealthy.

People also forget that you quite literally fight through entire armies in these games as part of the stories. Stealth didn't really even become a big thing until Unity/Syndicate.

Just because it has assassin in the title does not make it a stealth game.

Of course, they've quite obviously made stealth a much higher purity on the recent set of games.

Button configuration only, folks. They're not including the older, much more enjoyable combat system itself.

They really should have gone hard into a free-flow system with a ton of combat options ala Arkham. Souls style combat is just not fun against regular mooks.

I disagree.

Granted, I'm biased against traditional AC combat.

"The run button is gone. Instead of pressing a button to switch into a high-profile sprint, the character moves at top speed when the analog stick is jammed in a direction."

This should have started in AC1.

Right. That's what I'd read. Being able to simply sneak around entire camps and hidden blade them made things a bit too much of a cake walk. I appreciate a bit of challenge. Also, I agree that it makes sense in the context that this main character is the first in the line of what will become the order of Assasins.

They could have just made the enemy AI spot you easier like in Splinter Cell. I don't easily run around slitting people's throats in those games.

SomTervo

Button configuration only, folks. They're not including the older, much more enjoyable combat system itself.

They really should have gone hard into a free-flow system with a ton of combat options ala Arkham. Souls style combat is just not fun against regular mooks.

Glad to hear you've played Origins enough already to have formulated a well-informed opinion

Kssio_Aug

I mean, if I were to see Bayek (Ba Yek?) launch a dude into the air and start an air combo, I'd say the same thing. I like a certain style of combat in my AC games.

I respect your opinion, but that was one of the biggest complaints about the series. They totally needed some changes in the combat system and to make enemy encounters more interesting and challengegning. In previous AC games it was literally resumed in pressing the counter attack button till you defeat entire groups of enemies. Too damn easy, and too damn repetitive at this point. The killing animations were cool, but the combat wasn't funny anymore.

TitusTroy

I mean there's like several hours worth of gameplay footage on youtube already. Here's a video of a player struggling with stealth because due to the lack of eagle vision, he couldn't see the guards who were asleep while he was infiltrating the camp, and thus was surprised when they showed up and alerted the camp. There's videos of guys messing around with the more sandboxy elements like lighting arrows on fire and making bigger fires or freeing lions from a cage,
one that immediately attacked a horse.
Or of crocodiles attacking and destroying boats, orknocking npcs into the water and eating them and then trying to destroy your boat to get to you. Or those same dudes angering a hippo by ramming their boat into him and then being chased in water and on land. The little amount of nuances i've seen in the past few days have definitely added up, right up to the fact that guards now take cover when they see their allies being hit by a projectile but didn't see where it came from., the way Senu tells you what activity an npc/animal is up to, or even how for the first time in four years you can pull out your melee weapon outside of the context of combat. I feel like this is the culmination of everything Ubi has been building towards when they've been talking about how they want to make truly systemic games where players have unique experiences. Obviously the biggest worry is polish. As this game's map is seemingly as big if not bigger than AC4's map, Caribbean sea included. Like if they keep every area as varied as Siwa, then the possibilities are gonna be insane

I'm willing to give this game the benefit of the doubt but if Ubisoft over-promises and under-delivers again I'm done with the series...I said I was done after Syndicate but Ubisoft finally came to their senses and stopped the yearly releases and gave this game room to breathe...I'm hoping the extra time will make this series great again

I respect your opinion, but that was one of the biggest complaints about the series. They totally needed some changes in the combat system and to make enemy encounters more interesting and challengegning. In previous AC games it was literally resumed in pressing the counter attack button till you defeat entire groups of enemies. Too damn easy, and too damn repetitive at this point. The killing animations were cool, but the combat wasn't funny anymore.

Eh, I think they could have focused on better enemy variety and more gadget play. Incorporating more environment attacks during combat ala Sleeping Dogs and Spider-Man PS4. You know, stuff like that. Disarming enemies, having real dodges where you let the enemies hit each other in a cinematic fashion, pickpocketing enemies during combat, having combat occur during traversal maybe. Unique stuff.

Crossing Eden

I'm willing to give this game the benefit of the doubt but if Ubisoft over-promises and under-delivers again I'm done with the series...I said I was done after Syndicate but Ubisoft finally came to their senses and stopped the yearly releases and gave this game room to breathe...I'm hoping the extra time will make this series great again
Yea I feel that for many this is the last stand of the franchise.

cb1115

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016

oh wow, i always liked the low/high profile stuff

Pachimari

That hippo coming after them made me laugh like crazy. Hadn't seen that before. Lmao at it coming up the water and onto the land, that was hella terrifying.

Monocle

Yeah. I expected another Assassin's Creed typical situation, with minor improvements, and calling it the best AC game yet. But no... this time they REALLY seemed to change a lot. From combat to climbing mechanics, HUD elements, gear, level. They changed pretty much everything, except the tower sync (a shame, but that's ok).

As someone who did not buy AC Syndicate cause it felt to me the same old, same old; and as someone who wasn't expecting anything from a new Assassin's Creed, I have to say that I can't understand what kind of changes people were expecting gameplay wise. It looks pretty different for me, and much more interesting too. Definitely interested.

My only concerns now are a) how they will execute these new gameplay elements (given the gameplays we have, it seems it's doing well) and b) how will the sci-fi / modern day story work in this one (in that regard I have no faith though).
Don't be hating on the iconic tower sync. I was looking specifically for that feature in the demo, and thankfully it was still there.

Looks like a good $35 black Friday game.
That's my position on all promising games apart from absolutely must-play-now titles by studios or directors I trust, like Hideki Kamiya.

Looks still smooth tho. Curious what people think of it who played it.

MediumShoddyHoneybee.gif

It's awesome. And I never once thought I was unable to control the camera. Is that really the case? This is the game I played most by far at E3, but somehow I can't recall being unable to control the camera. If you really can't, then consider me surprised because I didn't notice, which I suppose is probably a good sign. It felt perfectly fine to me.

It's not really something I gave too much thought to be honest.

Can any of you think about the last time you played an action game where the main character had a spear on his back?

Just consider for a fact that the spear was the most frequently used weapon across all of the ancient world and medieval periods virtually all over the world. I love swords, and I love the fetishization of it, but it's remarkable that it's taking us this long to get a game where the main character wields a spear as a primary weapon.

It was the cheapest weapon to manufacture in the old world, but it was also a a much easier weapon to wield. You have a lot more range with being stabby stabby, while swords are dangerous and require an insanely high level of skill. Swords where also expensive and used by nobility.

But going beyond spears, this game being based in africa is just weird. Because African warriors and maruders are not championed or appreciated in pop culture the same way vikings, samurai, spartans and knights are.

It's a damn travesty because many of these ancient warrior peoples were just as bad and awesome. The Nubians where said to be incredible. Corsairs and Moors vikings were said to be equal to the vikings as seafearers and warriors. And yet, we hear almost nothing about it.

I hate to say it, because I think a game should be judged on the merits of its gameplay, but I do think the setting and main character being what they are, a big deal. And it shouldn't be. I'm just really excited to get immersed into this part of history, culture and world that we dont get to see. Not on film or on TV.

For that, I am very excited about this game. I expect a flawed Assassins game like they've always been, but I expect to really enjoy the setting. I did in all the other games. I had never played a game about the french revolution, or seen a game that was set in Constantinople or experienced the Italian renaissance in that way.

It's awesome. And I never once thought I was unable to control the camera. Is that really the case? This is the game I played most by far at E3, but somehow I can't recall being unable to control the camera. If you really can't, then consider me surprised because I didn't notice, which I suppose is probably a good sign. It felt perfectly fine to me.

It's not really something I gave too much thought to be honest.
Thanks for the first hand impressions.

Top Bottom