• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Origins E3 hands on gameplay videos and impressions are going up

Monocle

I can't wait for this game to release. I will start streaming and really upload vids for maybe the first time in a serious way. People thinking you can't absolutely wreck shit combat wise in this game or something? Today at E3 I hopped onto a boat and fought and slaughtered 3 different enemies all coming at me simultaneously. It just requires more skill than the previous AC games, and you use the light attack combined with the heavier attack to chain together your attacks properly. And you can even mix in the shield into your attacks when you use the shield toggle button also.

You get yourself into the right position depending on who or how many enemies you're facing and then you go to work. If you're fighting too many, you naturally don't get too trigger happy on attacking, as you'll be left open for another enemy. Combat in this game emphasises more than ever REALLY watching your opponents and reacting in enough time to make your player have a chance. It isn't like previous AC games where no matter what position your character was in, the counter button would always bail him out of any situation. Not so in this new game based on what I've played. In this game the counter button is using your shield at the right time or dodging out the way in anticipation of the opponent's attack.

So even though the stealth approach rules the day, you can still wreck shit in this game and the finishing moves present in previous games are still here, but perhaps even more impressive. I've finished enemies in all kinds of amazing ways.
This sounds a little better than what I saw.

I want my assassin to feel fast and deadly. I'm looking for speedy blows, responsive countering, and stylish ways to execute groups of enemies. I don't want to get wrecked instantly by stronger enemies, and I definitely don't want a Dark Souls style combat flow where I have to wait my turn to attack. That boss battle with the heavy weapon looked all kinds of wrong.

Actually I wouldn't mind if they brought back the hidden blade as its own weapon, complete with fatal counters balanced by tight timing. Dynamic and deadly, that's what I'm after.

This is a game that desperately needed a new mechanic to add an extra layer..

First of all, not a fan of Egypt.. (lacks the vertical aspect of tall buildings)

Change the setting and give the main player the ability to swing freely (think spiderman) around buildings with the rope feature from the crossbow... it would completely change the old-boring aspect of climbing over and over buildings..

This is besides the obvious upgrades from animations, faces, etc.. which also Seemed underwhelming in the demo.. :-

Altairre

My issues is that it doesn't seem very Assassin-y. Trading blows while locked onto single enemies and measured strikes is like the last thing I'd expect an assassin to be doing; yes, it's a reconstruction into a more aRPG form, but I feel it sacrifices a lot of what made fighting as an assassin satisfying. But then again my favorite combat in the series is AC3 aping Arkham's freeflow, so that kind of tells you what I prefer with fighting in this

That is pretty much where I'm coming from. As easy as the combat was in some of the previous entries it also felt fluent and effortlessly and the animation transitions worked fairly well (when it comes to the combat my favorites are Bortherhood, Revelations and 3, everything after that was worse).

I'm not at all against the idea of making it more challenging, but I don't feel like this system fits what they're going for. On top of that the weird hitstop, or whatever that effect is supposed to be, is incredibly awkward and makes it look even stiffer than the janky animations already do.

I hope they can figure that out before the final release because the setting is dope and I want those changes to work out but I'm not seeing it yet. I thought I was all in already after reading the gameinformer details but the E3 footage only cooled my initial excitement unfortunately.

kaiiri

That is pretty much where I'm coming from. As easy as the combat was in some of the previous entries it also felt fluent and effortlessly and the animation transitions worked fairly well (when it comes to the combat my favorites are Bortherhood, Revelations and 3, everything after that was worse).

I'm not at all against the idea of making it more challenging, but I don't feel like this system fits what they're going for. On top of that the weird hitstop, or whatever that effect is supposed to be, is incredibly awkward and makes it look even stiffer than the janky animations already do.

I hope they can figure that out before the final release because the setting is dope and I want those changes to work out but I'm not seeing it yet. I thought I was all in already after reading the gameinformer details but the E3 footage only cooled my initial excitement unfortunately.

This and the lack of tall buildings is what makes me hesitant on this game. I'm a huge Assassins Creed fan, and though I've played them all, the Ezio saga is still my favorite in both story and gameplay style. I miss the Assassin vs Templar story. I miss running on rooftops as a main mode of transportation. And I miss feeling like a badass in combat. Honesty a more arkham style combat would have been more preferable to me. Picturing an assassin doing flips, counters, blocks against a group of enemies just seems so perfect to me. This souls type combat does not.

I'm just hoping actually playing it it will feel better. Just a little sad it feels like we're going farther and farther away from what AC has been to me.

This and the lack of tall buildings is what makes me hesitant on this game. I'm a huge Assassins Creed fan, and though I've played them all, the Ezio saga is still my favorite in both story and gameplay style. I miss the Assassin vs Templar story. I miss running on rooftops as a main mode of transportation. And I miss feeling like a badass in combat. Honesty a more arkham style combat would have been more preferable to me. Picturing an assassin doing flips, counters, blocks against a group of enemies just seems so perfect to me. This souls type combat does not.

I'm just hoping actually playing it it will feel better. Just a little sad it feels like we're going farther and farther away from what AC has been to me.

It's pretty obvious this isn't going to be the typical AC title, and it's probably going to turn off some of the AC fanbase.

If it succeeds in what it does (rpg elements, open world, combat) within an ancient Egyptian setting, the title may bring in a whole host of new AC fans that might not have enjoyed the previous AC titles.

As it stands the title is very attractive to me because of the setting, combat and the protagonist. More than any of the previous AC titles.

Sales and reviews will tell if Ubisoft has gone in the right direction.

It's pretty obvious this isn't going to be the typical AC title, and it's probably going to turn off some of the AC fanbase.

If it succeeds in what it does (rpg elements, open world, combat) within an ancient Egyptian setting, the title may bring in a whole host of new AC fans that might not have enjoyed the previous AC titles.

As it stands the title is very attractive to me because of the setting, combat and the protagonist. More than any of the previous AC titles.

Sales and reviews will tell if Ubisoft has gone in the right direction.

Like me. :)

I have zero interest in the franchise before this. I played II for a couple of hours or so and bought Black Flag on Steam summer sale without ever playing it.

Squire

Banned
Like me. :)

I have zero interest in the franchise before this. I played II for a couple of hours or so and bought Black Flag on Steam summer sale without ever playing it.

Black Flag is the same director and probably core team as this. It's also pretty disinterested in being an AC game, you could say. Some do as a complaint, but I'd say that's probably exactly why I liked it. It's a great pirate game that doesn't ever take itself too seriously while telling a surprisingly good story with an honestly very sweet ending.

I actually kind of love it and I love the look of this. I guess I enjoy AC most when it's stepping outside of itself. I love Syndicate too though.

ogbg

But I have one complain, it seems silly, but goddamn,this really bothered me.. when you activate the eagle vision and when you mark the enemies, how the fuck is the eagle supposed to stop right in air? It's a bird, not a fucking drone, Ubi. This really bothered me because it's the same thing they used in Wildlands and Watch Dogs.. There's no way a eagle could stop in the air and mark the enemies like they show on the videos.

Eagles hover in the air, like all birds of prey. I mean they still move their wings but they do hover.

ogbg

This is a game that desperately needed a new mechanic to add an extra layer..

First of all, not a fan of Egypt.. (lacks the vertical aspect of tall buildings)

Change the setting and give the main player the ability to swing freely (think spiderman) around buildings with the rope feature from the crossbow... it would completely change the old-boring aspect of climbing over and over buildings..

This is besides the obvious upgrades from animations, faces, etc.. which also Seemed underwhelming in the demo.. :-

The rope in Syndicate was pretty fun IMO

Eagles hover in the air, like all birds of prey. I mean they still move their wings but they do hover.

Eh? Very few birds of prey can hover. Eagles certainly can't. I don't mind it in this game though since the camera zooms to the point that you can't even see Senu anymore, so I can assume she's still circling around and not overthink it. It's necessary for gameplay.

ogbg

Eh? Very few birds of prey can hover. Eagles certainly can't. I don't mind it in this game though since the camera zooms to the point that you can't even see Senu anymore, so I can assume she's still circling around and not overthink it. It's necessary for gameplay.

See around 1:10 here. That's what I mean. Staying in position while flapping wings

https://youtu.be/HzEqwKwAYCY

See around 1:10 here. That's what I mean. Staying in position while flapping wings

https://youtu.be/HzEqwKwAYCY

It's not true hovering though, it's flying into the wind at the right speed. It's why they aren't perfectly still (like Senu is in Origins) and why it's impossible on a calm day. Even that video shows the eagle moving backwards/forwards/up/down a lot as the wind strength varies.

Compare it to true hovering and you'll see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7j6OsP7zL6w

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Is there any word on whether AC:Origins is going to support HDR?
It supports HDR. Ashraf Ismail also confirmed on twitter that once again there will be multiple save slots and that you can change the controls to have combat on the face buttons like in previous games.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
So will I be able to parry in this game? I'm reading and it says there's no more counters. Does that include blocking at an opportune time to throw an enemy off balance and capitalize?

So will I be able to parry in this game? I'm reading and it says there's no more counters. Does that include blocking at an opportune time to throw an enemy off balance and capitalize?

Parrying is definitely in. And a separate mechanic from blocking. I'm just not sure exactly how it functions yet (haven't played the game myself but watched a lot of videos).

JMY86

I am actually really looking forward to this game and I have not been able to say that about an Assassin's Creed game in a while. The previews all seem positive and the Black Flag team is working on this game so count me in day one.

JPS Kai

I'm not really feeling the control changes yet. It feels too drastic from previous AC and doesn't quite feel right.

blakdeth

It supports HDR. Ashraf Ismail also confirmed on twitter that once again there will be multiple save slots and that you can change the controls to have combat on the face buttons like in previous games.

Thanks for the update.

Here's a question for folks planning to play AC:Origins. You have a PS4 Pro and an HDR capable TV as well as a decent PC with an ultrawide monitor (3440x1440, without HDR).

What do you go for, PS4 Pro or PC?

hydruxo

The thing is, in Origins you can climb anything now. That makes up for any lack of tall buildings for me. You don't have to look for handholds or ledges anymore. That's pretty big.

Crossing Eden

Thanks for the update.

Here's a question for folks planning to play AC:Origins. You have a PS4 Pro and an HDR capable TV as well as a decent PC with an ultrawide monitor (3440x1440, without HDR).

I would imagine PC if it has higher specs so that you can really push those settings regardless. And then if possible hook your PC into your tv.

EDIT:A little nuance i noticed, Senu will tell you what the npc you're spying on is doing, whether they're talking, working, eating, etc. that's so cool.

Thanks for the update.

I'm having this exact same dilemma, but I'm leaning towards PC for the framerate. I think I'll appreciate that more than HDR, and eventually I'll own an HDR monitor anyway so I can always replay this game then.

Theorry

Free running looks more natural to me. Less jerky and getting pulled towards the correct section to land.

MediumShoddyHoneybee.gif

Gradly

You have the same issues as mine. I loved the settings in previous games, Paris (Unity) and London (Syndicate) in particular. But here the lack of taller buildings expected even before the game revealed. I feel like the pyramids would be the only satisfying one to scale lol

But I’ll still buy the game, it’s the genre I love the most

cackhyena

Watched a Centerstrain video and learned you can't assassinate people above your level. Kinda dampened my whole desire to try this now.

Definitely worried about the stealth kill thing. That defeats the entire purpose of using stealth. Unless it's possible to ghost all the stealth sections, but that still reduces your options.

AC had always been about climbing and parkour, unfortunately in ancient egypt i doubt theyll have those big buildings...

This is this exact same thing people said about AC III. Brotherhood has some of the worst free running in the series (frequently needing to drop off of buildings to cross the street, buildings being at different heights constantly disrupting your flow, buildings aren't even that tall to begin with) and is nowhere close to Venice in II, and people love Brotherhood anyway.

Kssio_Aug

I don't think the combat looks amazing, but it looks MUCH better than previous entries and pretty decent. I'm glad they changed it!

Crossing Eden

AC had always been about climbing and parkour, unfortunately in ancient egypt i doubt theyll have those big buildings...
They've changed climbing to be much more agnostic so we can climb EVERYTHING. Without obvious handholds. Actually looks really fun to just clamber up a mountain. And there's no stamina system. This might be the ultimate response to that annoying dissonance where you can't climb objects.
Currently experiencing that with the Witcher 3 ��

New vid from Jackfrags. Always good quality footage and honest impressions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6Y_PnvQ7D0&t

Thank god, finally a video that, at times, does a better job of demonstrating the new combat system. He's not as cautious as I tend to try to be, and he certainly mashes more, but this video I feel gives a better idea of how much superior the combat system is when played the right way. My biggest gripe with him is I try to avoid anything overly unrealistic (yes, even in videogames) when I'm fighting. I hate to see that clipping stuff take place, so I will intentionally prolong a fight if I have to just to allow an enemy to come away from a wall or some specific trouble spot in the fighting space. I'll ignore it if I ever get desperate, but for the most part I stick with it. Also, don't dare try to attack too many times when within strike distance of multiple enemies. A good way to get your ass kicked.

GonzoCR

Looking good. Not the biggest fan of that eagle and the dodge animation looks really bad but I can play without the former and there's time to fix the latter. Plus it's made by the Black Flag team so I'm in.

cackhyena

I thought that was only for bosses not regular mooks, could be wrong though
Nope. Centerstrain shows it in his video. Just guys higher level than him. They just block the assassination and then it's a slug fest. I'm super bummed about it. Infiltrating places where you are out leveled can be fun as hell. If you can't sneakily dispatch guys after that hard work...we'll, I guess I'll see but it's pretty lame.

Hit b at the right time and you will parry an enemy attack with the shield. From what I think I saw it's a skill that needs to be acquired. You won't automatically have it as apart of your toolset.

Another thing is the tools available to you during combat. I've dropped smoke bombs mid combat to cause enemies to lose sight of me, so I can reposition myself for a fight. Maybe that's normal, but I personally haven't played an AC game since 2, and I admit to not finishing that one, although i thoroughly enjoyed it.

Ashtar

Nope. Centerstrain shows it in his video. Just guys higher level than him. They just block the assassination and then it's a slug fest. I'm super bummed about it. Infiltrating places where you are out leveled can be fun as hell. If you can't sneakily dispatch guys after that hard work...we'll, I guess I'll see but it's pretty lame.
Wow that really sucks.... can you still head shot them at least?

kaiiri

You have the same issues as mine. I loved the settings in previous games, Paris (Unity) and London (Syndicate) in particular. But here the lack of taller buildings expected even before the game revealed. I feel like the pyramids would be the only satisfying one to scale lol

But I’ll still buy the game, it’s the genre I love the most

100%. I love these games regardless and have already preordered it. Just a bit weary. Funny enough I liked Unity a lot traversal-wise. Unity had so much potential to be an amazing game both gameplay and story-wise.

I'll still be hopeful though. Though I haven't played a souls game (which everyone says this is somewhat similar too)... I have at least played Witcher 3 which it also *kind of* seems similar to.. at least physical attack wise.

I'm also extremely interested in how they'll spin the "beginning of the brotherhood" part of the Assassin story.

I wouldn't worry about having tall things to climb. You can climb anything in this game, even to the very top of mountains. So, even if the last thing you climb may not necessarily be as tall as you would've wanted, it may actually be positioned on a piece of land that is pretty high up from another piece of land. From there you probably end up seeing a way to dive all the way back down.

Top Bottom