• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassins Creed Origins |OT| A Far Cry From Historical Fact

I’m a few hours in and holy shit this game is top tier quality!
The visuals are insane on pro. The sound is super visceral and atmospheric. The setting, by all intensive perposes, is GOTY territory.
The exploration, the verticalalty of the game space is awesome.
The only downsides at this point are the controls. A little clunky. More than likely most of that though is just myself needing to get adjusted.
So if your on the fence. Get this game.
Should also be noted that this is my first ass game sense ac3, Which turned me off the the series for many years.

This is what is really standing out to me, the sound design, it's just on another level. Everything from walking on a bunch of treasure in a secret tomb to smacking a dude in the face with a giant mace, it all just sounds really good and makes the game feel better to play as well.

The open world is also probably the most fun and interesting one I've jumped into since RDR. It's just so damn vibrant and alive. I don't wanna leave the world once I'm in.

Klocker

I intended to ily play for hour or two and wait for X but haha It's too engrossing atm.

Going to try to stop soon and enjoy 4k goodness

I mean they did have a mission in Watch Dogs
Where you kill an Abstergo Agent, and you do hack into Abstergo in the second game I believe.

Yeah that's the part I'm referring to.
It's...in the present time as Layla Hassan. When you pause the game and go into her phone/computer there's a section titled 'Gone Files' and it has a section for Olivier Garneau (check watch dogs wikia for ref), the Abstergo CEO.

It shows a screenshot from the CCTV cam of Aiden from Watch Dogs 1 shooting Olivier in the street.

I honestly didn't play Watch Dogs 1 long enough to get to this part. Would be crazy to have some modern day AC/Watch Dogs crossover

Alebelly

I’m a few hours in and holy shit this game is top tier quality!
The visuals are insane on pro. The sound is super visceral and atmospheric. The setting, by all intensive perposes, is GOTY territory.
The exploration, the verticalalty of the game space is awesome.
The only downsides at this point are the controls. A little clunky. More than likely most of that though is just myself needing to get adjusted.
So if your on the fence. Get this game.
Should also be noted that this is my first ass game sense ac3, Which turned me off the the series for many years.

Yeah, this is definitely one of the better games I've played this year. Surprised for sure.

Unity2012

I am so glad more people are joining this gem. The game's world is huge and filled with plenty of things to do or to be careful when traveling from point to point, especially at night. Wild animals honored their names.

I went to check an animal's lare, during the day; and while roaming around saw a group of flamingos in the water, as I approached them a Falcon (or eagle), attacked one of them and kill them, and, before he could get it a group of hienas jumped in and started eating the flamingo... It was... amazing. LOL

BTW, a second group of hienas attacked me as I was watching all this happened. Crazy good.

I am sure there'll be a lot of great stories people will experience as we move further down the game's world.

A few things I like:

* Holding the left trigger and pressing Y when changing your outfits, takes off or on, Bayek's hair and beard.

*Holding the left trigger hovering over the outfit icon and pressing Y takes the hood off or on.

*Tapping the D-pad down allows you to do a quick whistle to attract the enemies attention. This is very, very helpful. Especially attracting high level enemies towards you when hiding, either for a take down or just to move them away from other soldiers. And I mean, high level enemies not too far from your own level cause some of those guys are monsters to take on.

cormack12

Gold Member
Question early game - The Healer quest area

I see the treasure icon in the lake. I had a swim round and looted everything but the icon was still there. I then spoke to the old lady and I had to go back in. So I relooted the ship, but the icon is still there. Is there another treasure I need to clear out?

TheRed

I like the detail of the animals. I killed a guard on the side of a sand dune and ran around clearing an enemy camp, came back by the sand dune and saw vultures land and moving on top of the body, I ran up to them and scared em off before they got to start digging in.

Whats with the narrative after you kill an important objetive, straight up nonsense with all the teatrical dialogue then return to the guy dying on the floor

Question early game - The Healer quest area

I see the treasure icon in the lake. I had a swim round and looted everything but the icon was still there. I then spoke to the old lady and I had to go back in. So I relooted the ship, but the icon is still there. Is there another treasure I need to clear out?

Three treasure icons, maybe your pigeon didnt pick the third one

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
I intended to ily play for hour or two and wait for X but haha It's too engrossing atm.

Going to try to stop soon and enjoy 4k goodness

I’ve installed it on Xbox One. File size seems too small on Xbox to include the 4K updates yet. Going to hold out until November 7th and binge play.

Drewfonse

This game is freaking fantastic. It gets way better after the sluggish initial 2 hrs. The world is pretty amazing. So detailed and vibrant, it's a visual treat on the Pro. The gameplay is still familiar, but they have greatly improved the combat, weapons systems, upgrades, you name it. And the missions are finally fun, even the side stuff. The addition of looting adds an addictive element to the proceeings. It's just great.

The bow combat, with the multiple, distinct types, is superb.

Alexandria is just a sprawling marvel. Wow. So we'll recreated. My Dad was born and raised there, but I've never had a chance to visit.

Stiler

Whats with the narrative after you kill an important objetive, straight up nonsense with all the teatrical dialogue then return to the guy dying on the floor

It's something that's been done in the series from the start, basically a storytelling device for more exposition between you and your target. It comes off as cheesy usually though because it makes little sense to actually happen within the world.

Alebelly

When you ride through Alexandria for the first time

GIF-excited-happy-joy-Minion-Minions-overjoyed-perfect-loops-stoked-GIF.gif

norm9

Good fun and just hit Alexandria. Was planning on doing everything, but my need for momentum gonna make me just run through the story missions.

Having trouble making money so far. Level 11.

It's something that's been done in the series from the start, basically a storytelling device for more exposition between you and your target. It comes off as cheesy usually though because it makes little sense to actually happen within the world.

Syndicate was cheesy , this time is just like an entire setting with back story as desert

gfxtwin

One thing that does bug me about this game is even though the map is accurate with where the main attractions are located (this is north of that, and west of that, etc), everything it way too close. There should be much more terrain/distance between, say, the Giza Pyramids and Alexandria, or the Saquarra pyramids. It's just weird that you can see the Giza pyramids from the port of Alexandria. In reality they're like a hundred miles away, so stuff like that breaks some of the immersion for me. Even if it wasn't possible to stretch out the desert terrain long enough to prevent this, there's probably some tricks with draw distance that could've been used. Ah, well.

RPGCrazied

7 hours in. Barely touched the main story line, just been doing quests. Love the photo mode. Those photos that gets thousands of likes has to be developers.

This is definitely my favorite AC game. Pretty much sealed it by the Egypt setting alone.

Staf

Hmm, I'm watching ACG's review and he is saying the story is the worst of any AC. Is it that bad? I'm thinking of buying it but if the story is meh i might wait or not buy at all.

Stiler

Hmm, I'm watching ACG's review and he is saying the story is the worst of any AC. Is it that bad? I'm thinking of buying it but if the story is meh i might wait or not buy at all.

I am not super far in, but I've enjoyed the opening parts of the story a bit more then some of the other AC games like AC3/Black Flag.

It starts with a cold open that might leave you wondering what the heck is going on but it fills that info in after a couple of hours and sets up the story pretty well for Bayak and his driving force that sets him on his path and why he's doing what he's doing.

The modern storyline of course is a bit lackluster (so far) but then again every AC game has been lackluster in that department since Desmond and how they really skirt around the AC3 modern day storyline.

Though something might change down the road but so far It doesn't feel like the worst to me at all, by far compared to some of the other games in the series. I'd put it around 3rd'ish place in the series (so far).

However when it comes to gameplay? I'd put it near the top. Playing for over 8 hours now and this is the less "repetitive" AC game that they've made, and the open world/sidequests help fill it out a lot more, there's not nearly as much "clutter" and collectible crap overloading you. There's no feathers/notes and crap to collect (at least from the part I've played). The "towers" aren't really there, there are still "vantage" points but not nearly as many in an area and they aren't for "unfogging" your map, rather they'll add points of interest (sidequests, etc) to your map and open a fast-travel point.

Green Yoshi

Completed all quests in Siwa after four and a half hours. In one mission I couldn't rescue the fifth priest so I had to reload the savegame. He was just standing there and I couldn't do anything.

xrnzaaas

Is there a way to disable the photo icons for good (other than killing wi-fi)? I just want to immerse myself in the world without being constantly reminded of all the social stuff. ;)

tanooki27

beautiful game. Egypt at dusk is something else. I suck so hard at combat though, especially when facing more than one opppnent. any tips?

mujun

beautiful game. Egypt at dusk is something else. I suck so hard at combat though, especially when facing more than one opppnent. any tips?

Get a sceptre, love that class of weapon. Fast and decent damage. Also, the length helps with crowd control, you can hit multiple enemies at once. I also hardly ever block. Hitting a couple of times and dodging seems to be very effective. Keep an eye on archers shooting into melee combat, too.

tanooki27

Get a sceptre, love that class of weapon. Fast and decent damage. Also, the length helps with crowd control, you can hit multiple enemies at once. I also hardly ever block. Hitting a couple of times and dodging seems to be very effective. Keep an eye on archers shooting into melee combat, too.

hey, thanks for the reply. I'll grab a scepter for sure. I've been blocking pretty much constantly looking for parries, but that hasn't helped much. I'll try dodging more.

Kumorin

I went in with cautious optimism and I’m just blown away. The level of care and detail in the visual presentation and sound design is, dare I say, series best.

Even in that opening tomb area there’s so many tiny details working in the background from the perfect metallic crunch n clang of Bayek’s feet stepping on treasures to the way he lights the sconces without a button prompt when you hover his torch over them. When I got to the breakable wall I fully expected the game take over, go into a canned animation for the action but instead it trusted me to use my mace to bust down the wall with two big swings. Later, I would discover other breakable doors and walls that aren’t so obviously so and that offer no button prompts to clue in the player (though an animus hunt may have revealed them as such thats’ optional.)

The combat isn’t the smoothest but the way enemies swarm and attack made me feel like I was in a Game of Thrones fight in Essos from Season 5-6. Incredibly satisfying. Like being seized upon by jackals.

When the game first made me get to Assassin’s Creeding I was worried. It looks the same from an outside perspective but once you get to it, it’s again, maybe the best implementation of this style since the Ezio days. Dedicated crouch button, bow and arrow silent kills, . When enemies investigate your hiding area you have a short window to take them down silently before they engage and summon help. You can whistle and move bodies again too as well as set environment traps. The architecture for these sequences is a wonderful blend of the open air plantations from Black Flag but with some of Unity’s wider interiors.

I’m not even 5 hours in and I’m already stunned. I can’t wait to see what more is coming.

... And I even like the color. (that’s an Indiana Jones reference.)

Garuda1One

So guys, do you upgrade your weapons or buy a new one ?

I always upgrade my weapon and hardly ever buy a new one. Found this rare weapon when i was level 5 and its been with me ever since. And how the hell do you make money in this game ? im literally broke (probably thats why i never buy any weapon)

Setmeni

I always upgrade my weapon and hardly ever buy a new one. Found this rare weapon when i was level 5 and its been with me ever since. And how the hell do you make money in this game ? im literally broke (probably thats why i never buy any weapon)

I got one legendary heavy sickle that has like three bonuses on it so I upgrade it every 3 levels or so because it is an absolute beast, otherwise I just swap out unless legendary.

One thing I have to say is the mounted combat is excellent. I think one of the reviews said the horse controls were odd but I seem to be doing fairly well with mounted combat so far both on a camel and a horse.

SDCowboy

I'm loving the game, but I have one big complaint - I don't like that the main quests don't level you up enough to just keep doing the main quest chain, thus side quests are essentially forced.

SDCowboy

After I found a good spear I liked, I've just been upgrading it. All my other gear I've just been getting from rewards and chests.

As for money, it's been the same for me. I rarely have any and am always broke.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Neither. The game generously starts dropping leveled weapons if you increase in a few levels. Also that daily-quest kid has spawns some real nice legendary weapons.

The current one I'm using is from that kid, it's a cursed weapon which causes bleed and breaks shields but leaves my health at 33%, which is a decent trade off since I'm 99% stealthing and only use open combat as a last resort (where that weapon is real effective in killing everything real quick).

Ok this game can be awesome at times, but how the hell they approved the camel animation while running/gallop? It's awful, unbearable. Please Ubi change/improve those animation because they are very immersion breaking.

Megatron

One thing will add to the response you already got is the databases are gone. Every other game is full of historical facts as you come across certain locations. That's gone. There is apparently an education mode coming next year that replaces it, but I think it's a separate mode and not baked into the game.

Top Bottom