• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Rogue [First screens]

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Fort de Sable? Arctic landscape? So this takes place in Canada to some extent. I hope it doesn't have too many AC III like cities and landscapes though.

I actually kind of like this, 2 different AC on my PC: a pirates one and a Paris one. Great, I'm looking forward to it.

No Wii U version? Ouch.

Doesn't bode well for Watch_Dogs, either. Maybe Nintendo is partially funding that so...who knows.

Oh, come on, not you too. It was already confirmed several times by Ubisoft for November in interviews, it's in the latest Nintendo Investors info.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2014/140730_2e.pdf

Were there many black ship captains around the time the game is set?

Should they put a black female as the protagonist despite the time period and setting just to please people like yourself?

Seriously getting sick of comments like this, if they want to tell a story about a white dude sailing in the arctic then that is their prerogative, do you whine when the latest Michael Bay film comes out and has a white male lead with a female that is there just to look pretty?
Lamest excuse for misogyny ever. If they had decent writers they could make a 18th century pirate story work with a black man, or a woman (see Adele and Mary Read in AC 4), or anyone else.

SerTapTap

PC is surprisingly cool of them. But why not, I guess.

Really getting sick of this franchise. Fucking stop releasing a game every year, dammit. Two titles now??

Probably the only year for two, this is probably last gen's last hurrah as far as asscreed goes. Pretty weird situation though, seems like it'd take more work to make a whole new game for lastgen only than to port/hire someone to port. Maybe new engine for nextgen and not oldgen though?

Lamest excuse for misogyny ever. If they had decent writers they could make a 18th century pirate story work with a black man, or a woman (see Adele and Mary Read in AC 4), or anyone else.
It's not an excuse, if someone doesn't want to write a story for a female or other race then surely they shouldn't be made to do it?

If they have a story to tell and do it justice it would be nice for them to have minorities in lead roles, I really enjoyed Freedom Cry despite the horrible freeing slaves to buy upgrades mechanic.

Were there many black ship captains around the time the game is set?

Should they put a black female as the protagonist despite the time period and setting just to please people like yourself?

Seriously getting sick of comments like this, if they want to tell a story about a white dude sailing in the arctic then that is their prerogative, do you whine when the latest Michael Bay film comes out and has a white male lead with a female that is there just to look pretty?
I'm laughing. Yes, Michael Bay movies are often derided for being incredibly formulaic.

If you think the only reason to have a minority as a main character is "to please people" then you are close-minded af. If devs want to tell a story about a white dude then they can join the 90% of other devs that want to make a story about a white dude. But it means that people are welcome to complain about them constantly making stories about white dudes.

Xater

Ubisoft is already not commenting on this. I guess we can expect the reveal to happen during Gamescom next week or shortly before. For the time being they will do the whole song and dance again of being oblivious to it.

I'm laughing. Yes, Michael Bay movies are often derided for being incredibly formulaic.

If you think the only reason to have a minority as a main character is "to please people" then you are close-minded af. If devs want to tell a story about a white dude then they can join the 90% of other devs that want to make a story about a white dude. But it means that people are welcome to complain about them constantly making stories about white dudes.

Where did I say that?

All I said was why should a writer change the protagonist of their story just to appease people whining about not having a female protagonist.

If you don't like people writing stories about white males then don't buy them and maybe they will get the picture.

I loved Freedom Cry, probably more than Black Flag, and would love to see a female lead a flagship AAA AC game and not just a mobile game.

Fort de Sable? Arctic landscape? So this takes place in Canada to some extent. I hope it doesn't have too many AC III like cities and landscapes though.

I actually kind of like this, 2 different AC on my PC: a pirates one and a Paris one. Great, I'm looking forward to it.

Oh, come on, not you too. It was already confirmed several times by Ubisoft for November in interviews, it's in the latest Nintendo Investors info.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2014/140730_2e.pdf

Those lists aren't always the most reliable.

mds3Vw1.png

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
I await when Ass Creed becomes a quarterly title

So February, May, August and November, the Ass Creed months!

Sinsem

If this game is anything like Black Flag, I'll buy it in a heartbeat

Looks like Black Flag in Greenland.
Main character has some Inuit vibe.

I wonder if they just used assets from AC IV and put some snow on it to make this game.

Where did I say that?

All I said was why should a writer change the protagonist of their story just to appease people whining about not having a female protagonist.

If you don't like people writing stories about white males then don't buy them and maybe they will get the picture.

I loved Freedom Cry, probably more than Black Flag, and would love to see a female lead a flagship AAA AC game and not just a mobile game.
Thanks for the advice, I wasn't planning on buying this OR AC:Unity for the reasons mentioned above.

And if you think that the writers of AC are writing exactly what they want to write, and not what Ubi's market analysis department wants them to write, then you are wrong.

Why else would everyone at Ubi want to write about white dudes? Because according to Ubi's market analysis, white generic male protag = $$$.

AHA-Lambda

I've said it in the steam thread and I'll say it again, 3 AC games in 1 year is ridiculous.

Unity
Rogue
Liberation HD

Also Far cry 4 and watch dogs as well. Ubisoft has gone beyond annualisation.

The milking of this franchise is pretty shameless

Milking might a an way to describe it, I think it's insanely smart of them to split their resources like this. They get to innovate, do new stuff and push current gen visual fidelity without having to compromise for last gen. Instead they are, in theory, making two games with each one designed specially for that generation and their unique constraints and limitations.

For people with only last gen machines it's great, they aren't forgotten and people with current gen machines win because they aren't getting some cross-gen crap that is constrained by 512mb of RAM - like say, Dragon Age.

Everyone wins.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
This is very weird. I'd like to play more piratessassin, but no way I'm going back to last gen and I don't play much on PC anymore. They should have pushed this out to next year to fill the gap, I'd like a mainline > pirates > mainlines pattern to releases. I don't see the business sense in two in one year.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
I've said it in the steam thread and I'll say it again, 3 AC games in 1 year is ridiculous.

Unity
Rogue
Liberation HD

Liberation HD was just a port.

Unity
Rogue
Liberation HD

We also had a standalone release of Assassins Creed: Freedom Cry (The DLC from 4) this year, if you want to be really picky.

UrbanRats

I'm assuming this comes out on PC, too? If it does, i may pick up both games this year, since i skipped AC4, i may get my sailing fix with this.

We'll see if it's decent.

Thanks for the advice, I wasn't planning on buying this OR AC:Unity for the reasons mentioned above.

And if you think that the writers of AC are writing exactly what they want to write, and not what Ubi's market analysis department wants them to write, then you are wrong.

Why else would everyone at Ubi want to write about white dudes? Because according to Ubi's market analysis, white generic male protag = $$$.

You're going to miss out on a game because of such a petty issue?

Never fail gaf, never fail.

MarkV

So they really have two AC games out in the same year? This is impressive even for a studio as large as Ubisoft.

MUnited83

For you.

That argument would made sense if you ignored that:

Assassins Creed
Assassins Creed 3
Assassins Creed Liberation+Liberation HD
Freedom Cry DLC+Standalone

exist.

SerTapTap

Watch Dogs and Far Cry hardly count as "more assassin's creed"; the genre is basically "ubisoft game" at this point, like it or otherwise. At least their games work at launch.

I await when Ass Creed becomes a quarterly title

So February, May, August and November, the Ass Creed months!

Assassins as a Service or AaaS...they can't really catch a break on abbreviations can they.

That argument would made sense if you ignored that:

Assassins Creed
Assassins Creed 3

exist.
Assassins Creed
You've got to be kidding me if you think that Middle Eastern people during the crusades had skin that pale. Altair was the same colour as Robert, ffs.
Assassins Creed 3
Half Native American, half British.
A joke of a game. Coming from a day one buyer of Liberation, it was a broken, poor-performing mess that was clearly given neither the attention nor time it deserved to be a good game. It was clear Ubi couldn't care less - the game ran at about 18 fps and was missing a lot of what you would consider standard. It didn't even have skippable cutscenes, and it had an incredibly common, save breaking bug that was only fixed after the fact and still meant players had to restart their game. Happened to me when I was close to 100%.
Oh, you got me there. I'm so thankful Ubi decided that a black protag was worth a whole DLC. Never mind that it's a single DLC amongst a sea of male white protag games.

Top Bottom