• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Rogue [First screens]

DWinn7

Were there many black ship captains around the time the game is set?

Should they put a black female as the protagonist despite the time period and setting just to please people like yourself?

Seriously getting sick of comments like this, if they want to tell a story about a white dude sailing in the arctic then that is their prerogative, do you whine when the latest Michael Bay film comes out and has a white male lead with a female that is there just to look pretty?

Why are you assuming he wants to play as a Black protagonist? I, personally, would LOVE to see more diversity amongst lead characters. Females, African Americans, Asians, etc etc

Thanks for the advice, I wasn't planning on buying this OR AC:Unity for the reasons mentioned above.

And if you think that the writers of AC are writing exactly what they want to write, and not what Ubi's market analysis department wants them to write, then you are wrong.

Why else would everyone at Ubi want to write about white dudes? Because according to Ubi's market analysis, white generic male protag = $$$.

Except that the majority of games, movies, and television shows also write about the same subject matter and plenty of them have the freedom to write about whatever they want. I'm pretty sure they're not using Ubi's market analysis so I don't think your argument makes sense. I would say that probably is what they want to write about.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Those lists aren't always the most reliable.

mds3Vw1.png

That's true, but that list is way older reported to the release date. And we know that a Wii U version for Alien: Colonial Marines existed but it was canned after the whole launching scandal and Sega was quiet about it. Also, Watch_Dogs was not on this list on some of the previous lists (my guess is that this happened after Ubisoft decided to put it on hold to work on the other versions) and now it's back in and is fitting what Ubisoft is stating.

Except that the majority of games, movies, and television shows also write about the same subject matter and plenty of them have the freedom to write about whatever they want. I'm pretty sure they're not using Ubi's market analysis so I don't think your argument makes sense. I would say that probably is what they want to write about.
Nobody in the AAA games industry has true freedom. Every creative decision has to be a fight - it's been documented a lot, and it's why a lot of AAA devs get fed up of the AAA industry and go indie.

Producers and investors will ALWAYS want "proof" that whatever the devs are making will be successful. And that proof comes from market analysis.

Thanks for the advice, I wasn't planning on buying this OR AC:Unity for the reasons mentioned above

I'm not trying to annoy you or anything, but do you chose what games to play, films to watch or music to listen to or whatever following the same rules? Like...would you not watch Breathless or play Zelda?

Freeman

Banned
Cross-gen? Complaints.
Two different games? Complaints.
No current gen? Complaints.
No last gen? Complaints.
The game has a white protagonist? Complaints.
The game sucks? "You know what it's actually not that bad, 8.9 out of 10."

Orayn

Cross-gen? Complaints.
No last gen? Complaints.

Not sure what point you're making when a lot of those complaints come from different people for fairly different reasons. That you can't please everyone all the time, I guess?

SerTapTap

Who the hell is complaining about no last gen except people without current gen consoles? That's obviously a different group than those complaining about no current gen or cross gen games.

10552600_429282167213pmq4j.jpg

That one screen already has me more interested in this than Unity.

Will wait for the eventual PS4 release, though.

This will probably happen a few months after they get the Unity vs Rogue sales and realize, as many should be, that last gen is on it's last legs.

UrbanRats

Half Native American, half British.

I agree with the rest of your argument, but this is bullshit.
The English ties with Connor were clearly to tie the game to older titles more easily and create a more interesting conflict, but Connor had both the looks and the cultural background of Native American people.

10552600_429282167213pmq4j.jpg

That one screen already has me more interested in this than Unity.

Oh yeah, it'll be a joy to scale those empty glaciers!

LiK

Cross-gen? Complaints.
No last gen? Complaints.

Assassin's Creed series? Complaints.

Not gonna lie, I'm tired of it as well. If people don't like it, just ignore it. No one is forcing them to follow the news or play any of them. I love this series and they can keep making them as long as they're good.

iNvid02

saw the offscreen trailer, not much in there really. looks like they're taking black flag's impersonating an assassin to the next level with this rogue guy

Assassin's Creed series? Complaints.

Not gonna lie, I'm tired of it as well. If people don't like it, just ignore it. No one is forcing them to follow the news or play any of them. I love this series and they can keep making them as long as they're good.

its just become quite comical at this point

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
The funny thing is, Ubisoft has actually been pretty good about diversity in AC protagonists. Altair Ibn-La'Ahad, Ratonhnhaké:ton, Aveline de Grandpré, and Adéwalé (if you want to count Freedom Cry) were all protagonists that weren't white males.

I guess people can forget when you come out and say dumb shit to justify your latest game.

Ambient80

I've said it in the steam thread and I'll say it again, 3 AC games in 1 year is ridiculous.

Unity
Rogue
Liberation HD

Also Far cry 4 and watch dogs as well. Ubisoft has gone beyond annualisation.
They are doing exactly what people wanted. Making games optimized for the new and old systems instead of just one and porting them over.

Nobody in the AAA games industry has true freedom. Every creative decision has to be a fight - it's been documented a lot, and it's why a lot of AAA devs get fed up of the AAA industry and go indie.

Producers and investors will ALWAYS want "proof" that whatever the devs are making will be successful. And that proof comes from market analysis.

Right, so it's too bad Tomb Raider didn't sell well so they could use that as proof of success...
Do you think the writers of GTA 5 had freedom? I would bet they did, guess what? Three males and no one was up in arms about that. Its annoying to see people jump on Ubisoft yet when UC4 was announced I didn't see a ton of people saying that they better be able to play as a female and not just Nathan Drake. Same for Halo 5 or Arkham Knight. Where's the outrage?

Htown

Also, we're probably only getting two different console AC games this year because Ubi doesn't think Vita is viable anymore. This is probably what would have ended up on Vita a couple years ago.

Do you think the writers of GTA 5 had freedom? I would bet they did, guess what? Three males and no one was up in arms about that.

You are remembering incorrectly.

Div3x

Neo Member
ugh, now i want an AC set in Afrika.

Playing as a slave who escapes, finds the creed and decides to take revenge could be awsome if done right.

Radec

Another ubisoft thread turned into a protagonist-should-be-this-gender-and-skin-color shit again.

welp.

I'm not trying to annoy you or anything, but do you chose what games to play, films to watch or music to listen to or whatever following the same rules? Like...would you not watch Breathless or play Zelda?
Yes. I am at least 50% more likely to pick up a game if it has a female/non white male protag because I'm fed up of playing as straight white males. Similarly, I am more likely to watch a movie with lead female roles than a movie starring only men.
I agree with the rest of your argument, but this is bullshit.
The English ties with Connor were clearly to tie the game to older titles more easily and create a more interesting conflict, but Connor had both the looks and the cultural background of Native American people.
Okay, I will admit that. Thank you for pointing that out.
Right, so it's too bad Tomb Raider didn't sell well so they could use that as proof of success...
Do you think the writers of GTA 5 had freedom? I would bet they did, guess what? Three males and no one was up in arms about that. Its annoying to see people jump on Ubisoft yet when UC4 was announced I didn't see a ton of people saying that they better be able to play as a female and not just Nathan Drake. Same for Halo 5 or Arkham Knight. Where's the outrage?
Tomb Raider underperformed according to SE, lmao. So that was a good point, thanks.
And are you really so unaware of social issues that you thought that GTA V went down with no complaints? Plenty of reviewers commented on the lack of not only playable female characters but the fact that the female characters in the game were all horribly portrayed. There is plenty of outrage on a lot of issues; if you haven't noticed it then I don't know where you've been.

Lime

The funny thing is, Ubisoft has actually been pretty good about diversity in AC protagonists. Altair Ibn-La'Ahad, Ratonhnhaké:ton, Aveline de Grandpré, and Adéwalé (if you want to count Freedom Cry) were all protagonists that weren't white males.

I guess people can forget when you come out and say dumb shit to justify your latest game.

I thought Altair and to some extent Connor were pretty much white-washed. The latter less than the former, though.

I have much, much praise for Liberation and Freedom Cry though, although they were more "safe" in terms of being a portable game and standalone DLC.

ugh, now i want an AC set in Afrika.

Playing as a slave who escapes, finds the creed and decides to take revenge could be awsome if done right.

Check out Freedom Cry. It's standalone and doesn't require the trite Black Flag.

Out of all the blind hate toward a game we know little about, I didn't expect an argument about gender and race to develop. Kind of embarrassing.

Guess it's only a sexist if it's a guy, and guess it's only racist if he's white.

We should ask those Asians at Konami why they keep making games about white male leads. They must be both racist and sexist.

Jito

Banned
Another ubisoft thread turned into a protagonist-should-be-this-gender-and-skin-color shit again.

welp.

Yeh these threads and some posters are so predictable. You think they'd actively partake in these issues rather than argue with posters (who have no control what so ever of the game) on message boards.

Oh yeah? Those sales numbers don't lie...
He's talking about the GTA V thing.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/wo...s-designed-deliberately-to-degrade-women.html
http://kotaku.com/grand-theft-auto-v-and-women-1344112808
http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2013/09/26/on-gender-and-gta-5/

Also, TR underperformed according to SE. http://www.onlysp.com/square-enix-c...ogs-underpeformed-in-sales-president-resigns/

And even though it sold 5M, that's a single female-protag game that sold 5M. While there are tens of white male protag games every year that sell millions.

Out of all the blind hate toward a game we know little about, I didn't expect an argument about gender and race to develop. Kind of embarrassing.

Guess it's only a sexist if it's a guy, and guess it's only racist if he's white.

We should ask those Asians at Konami why they keep making games about white male leads. They must be both racist and sexist.
Japan has a terrible track record with both racism and sexist issues. So uh... yes. You should ask them. I'm sure they'd have interesting replies.

Htown

It's a really dumb reason.
Not really.

Yeh these threads and some posters are so predictable. You think they'd actively partake in these issues rather than argue with posters (who have no control what so ever of the game) on message boards.
If you don't want people to discuss video games, you might not want to post on a video game message board.

Ramenman

welp.

I don't mind if people want to discuss those things, but it's a bit sad that only 3 pages in, half the posts of this thread are already about this and not even speculation or discussion about the actual leak.

If the point is just to mention for every game announced that, here too, the character is a white male, then why not, but maybe we should leave it at that and not start counter-argumenting forever in every new thread.

On a side note, I do agree it feels like only Assassin's Creed takes shit like this, for some reason.

Oh yeah, it'll be a joy to scale those empty glaciers!

You'd much rather clamber over empty buildings offering next to no gameplay? ;> But seriously, I got tired of climbing structures in AC a long time ago so something wholly different to climb over > same old crap (maybe they'll introduce new climbing mechanics to go with the new surfaces). And anyway, maybe we'll be manoeuvring around them while having epic Arctic sea battles instead of scaling them.

Top Bottom