• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Rogue |OT| Black Flag 2

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
A full walkthrough of Rogue is already up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ixk8kLCqmeQ Here is part 1 and he is has 20 parts that take you entirely through the game.

Most of them are 30 minutes long. It's for those of you only interested in story of this game.
He doesn't make any effort to get the secondary objectives, but just to get through as quickly as possible.

For those of you interested in seeing the ending and how it ties into Unity:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0Ud...eature=iv&annotation_id=annotation_4048932183 Start the video at around the 17 minute mark.

In short, the end of this game is the beginning of Unity.

Some disappointments storywise for Rogue:
Game ends before AC3 begins. I was hoping to see Connor and get an idea of what happened to him.

Catdaddy

I sided with AC:U, hoping after they do the last gen money grab they decide and make a PS4/XB1 version alongside the PC release. After playing AC4 on PS4, not sure I want to see the step back in graphics. Also, if what was mentioned is true, the ending of Rogue sets up Unity, then screw Ubi for not releasing this sooner rather than on the same days as Unity.

Also, wondering about the length of the game, not sure why but I got the feeling this may be a little more than a glorified DLC.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Based on the walkthrough videos that Ive seen it seems like the main storyline is going to be VERY short and that it's likely padded out by out a ton of sidequests.

Black Flag's sidequests were infinitely better than AC3's though so I'm cool with that, but it's difficult to guage from the walkthrough if they're going to have some depth to them or if they will be checklist type.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
That's cool, since I think we were all expecting this from the get-go.

I actually appreciated the fact that ACIV's mainquests were shorter and less tedious than the previous games, but in Rogue it may be a little TOO short to justify a $60 pricetag.

Toa TAK

Banned
I actually appreciated the fact that ACIV's mainquests were shorter and less tedious than the previous games, but in Rogue it may be a little TOO short to justify a $60 pricetag.

Same here, just as long as the quality of the missions are there and the story being told is good.

I got a little tired of ACIV's story midway, through. But thankfully the POE stuff got my intrigued again. Missions weren't all that fun I felt. I had a better time playing Freedom Cry.

Alec

Pretty disappointed with the lack of present-day plot development.

Also disappointed that all we learn about Connor is in
an e-mail from Melanie Lemay saying "don't even get me started on his wife or how he died. What a mess."

Anyone know if there are still tailing missions?

None in the main story sequences.

ryseing

an e-mail from Melanie Lemay saying "don't even get me started on his wife or how he died. What a mess."

None in the main story sequences.

That's it? DLC incoming then?

Rogue is coming and this video is really good reminder how good Black Flag was. Spoilers for those who are not played and finished ACIV!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kyfb16ydX0

That is a great video. I maintain that Edward was the best AC protagonist, in no small part due to Matt Ryan's phenomenal voice work.

10452292_10154788801040632_2409348297011445959_n.jpg

Let the assassinations begins :p

Will start with Rogue first then move to Unity.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Good .. Connor was a terrible character who deserves to be forgotten.

Does it show Edward Kenway's fate or is that also left ambiguous and in messages only ?

Alec

That's it? DLC incoming then?

Yep, that's it. There's not even a Season Pass for this game, so the existence of DLC is questionable.

Does it show Edward Kenway's fate or is that also left ambiguous and in messages only ?

It doesn't show his fate, but it talks about how
Reginald Birch, the man who "adopted" Haytham and recruited him into the Order, was responsible for killing Edward.
(This is actually a spoiler from the AC: Forsaken novel.)

TheGamer

I'm excited about playing Rogue. I may pick it up on Black Friday. I'm surprised that Ubi hasn't marketed this game as much as it did with Unity.

MjFrancis

I'm a sucker for these games, but since Target's Black Friday ad already has Rogue at $35 and it's SP only, there's no reason to buy now when it will be over 40% off MSRP in just 2 1/2 weeks.

I hope 100% synchronization gets a little harder to do than in previous iterations. That's the only way in-game to control for difficulty in these games.

Alec

Is Aveline in the game?

I ask this because Liberation was the best game of them three (3, BF, L).

Aveline is mentioned in Melanie Lemay's e-mails. Melanie is talking about strong, powerful women and how they need to find more examples so that they can market to the female demographic. Absolutely nothing substantial.

Separate from that, if you're interested in the modern day story, this game is completely skippable IMO.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I hope 100% synchronization gets a little harder to do than in previous iterations. That's the only way in-game to control for difficulty in these games.

I really hope Ubisoft doesn't take your advice. AC3 got it 100% wrong in that they made the missions 100% unfun and detracted from the experience. They sucked in so many ways.

ACIV at least made them somewhat interesting I thought without them being ridiculously hard.

In AC Liberation they were a joke and really had no use even being in the game.

Totally forgot to preorder but will be picking it up at midnight when I pick up Tales of Hearts R.

Anyone know if the preorder bonuses are the type to be printed out on the receipts or are they the usual ubi inserts with codes printed on them?

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I can't wait to see hear what the reviews say about this!

It seems too short for me to want to pay full price for.

But then again, I wasn't going to get it until it came to PS4 anyway.

woen

Great stuff. Much better than anything Unity has done with THREE composers.

Well Rogue's main theme is a remix of probably the best AC2 theme, that helps ;)

I heard 2-3 songs form Unity so far (what was on the official website months ago) and it was great I think, but these three songs are really really great. AC2/AC3/AC4 level.

Toa TAK

Banned
Well Rogue's main theme is a remix of probably the best AC2 theme, that helps ;)

I heard 2-3 songs form Unity so far (what was on the official website months ago) and it was great I think, but these three songs are really really great. AC2/AC3/AC4 level.

Hey, recycled main theme or not, it's still miles above ACUs. I can't believe that. I loved what it's trying to go for, but if Kyd is still the master of AC's sound that blends both the techno and the orchestra to make this strange sci-fi-historical adventure come to life.

woen

Hey, recycled main theme or not, it's still miles above ACUs. I can't believe that. I loved what it's trying to go for, but if Kyd is still the master of AC's sound that blends both the techno and the orchestra to make this strange sci-fi-historical adventure come to life.

Can't tell you, I didn't play AC:U.

I really want to play this but I don't want to go backwards technology wise and play this on my ps3 after playing 4 on ps4. I hope they opt for a current gen version around the same time as the pc version.

Harmen

I'm one of those weirdos who likes the present day frame story. Looking forward to seeing what nonsense Ubisoft has in store for it.

Haha, me too. I see what is wrong with it, but is also has this unique weird vibe to it that I like. And there are some really neat plotpoints in the present day stuff, the execution is sometimes terrible though, and the characters leave a lot to be desired. But I do enjoy it.

Great stuff. Much better than anything Unity has done with THREE composers.

Too many cooks spoil the broth :p
The two volumes sound like soundtracks for two different games, it's like they couldn't agree on what the tone of the game would be so decided to do whatever the hell they liked

I'm a sucker for these games, but since Target's Black Friday ad already has Rogue at $35 and it's SP only, there's no reason to buy now when it will be over 40% off MSRP in just 2 1/2 weeks.

And if someone feels the need to play it (relatively) right away, they can always rent it from Redbox for $2 a day, and finish it when they buy it in 2 weeks.

Toa TAK

Banned
Too many cooks spoil the broth :p
The two volumes sound like soundtracks for two different games, it's like they couldn't agree on what the tone of the game would be so decided to do whatever the hell they liked

The worst part is, is what the first volume sounds like. It's all samey for some reason and just becomes bland and uninspired aside the 3rd track. The second volume has a *little* bit more variety in it.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Yes, from what i've seen in the walkthrough. I don't know why people hate these so much or expect them to go away since eavesdropping is part of being an assassin.

But AC1 told us that gathering intel was a task left to lesser assassins who were trying to pay their dues. Altair was doing it as punishment.
Dat inconsistency.

Top Bottom