• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Syndicate |OT| Once more unto the glitch

Setsuna

Gemüsepizza;182536553 said:
Will wait for reviews. The game not being a buggy mess isn't good enough for me. I also want a better story than Unity has (especially for the modern part) and better gameplay.

Then tell Ubisoft they should stop making shitty games?

Wait a minute why are you here then if you think all Ubisoft games are shitty?

Why would you go out of your way to goto a thread to talk about a game you dont like?

Matush

Do you think they fill FINALLY go back to a pirate setting if the reviews for this are mediocre?

Assassins Creed 4 was soooo good! Why wouldn´t they just continue with that?
Because it was more of a pirate game, not AC.

I loved Black Flag

None of the AC games was shitty....

I played all of them, imo AC III and Unity have been quite bad. And the story is getting worse everytime since Desmond's departure.

Wait a minute why are you here then if you think all Ubisoft games are shitty?

I don't think that all Ubisoft games are shitty.

Why would you go out of your way to goto a thread to talk about a game you dont like?

I like the AC series. What I don't like is what Ubisoft is doing with those games recently. AC has so much potential and deserves better. I don't know yet if I will like AC Syndicate. But considering that I didn't like Unity that much, I am very sceptical. As are other people. Why do you go out of your way and try to defend a game which isn't even out yet?

BF was fun because of it's variety. The story was okish but seemed amazing compared to 3 and the new mechanics were fresh and fun. Combine that with new gen graphics and it makes sense it's so well regarded. The worst parts about it were the legacy AC stuff like the tailing junk.

Unity took all the wrong parts and ran with them.

Ship tailing in BF wasn't as bad as doing it on foot I found.

Welp, at least they've cut back on tailing for Syndicate from what I gather.

Yep, these are my feelings exactly. I was always a big fan of the overarching story, even when it went to sci-fi. I even liked the parts in ACIV, as it felt like a breather/bridge between the first arc and a second, which obviously never came to in Unity. So I was pretty disappointed there, but I hope they make the modern day stuff relevant again in Syndicate.

The modern story acted as a real drive for me to push and made me feel like I was going somewhere. I get we can't have a resolution as AC series must be annual/live on forever but a little more effort and cohesion there would be appreciated.

It would also be nice to finally get to play as a guy or girl in the modern day with Assassino abilities akin to Desmond. Who didn't enjoy parkouring in that Italian villa?haha

Hasney

What did you not like about it?

Probably one of the most unlikable main characters I've ever had the mis-fortune of playing with and the game drags on and on at the start going through his life as a kid with me thinking I just want to parkour some stuff. Then you finally can and the big wide open towns don't lend themselves to playing an actual Assassins Creed game and manage to make the bollocks missions like following someone even worse because of it. Those types of missions where even in the fun AC games, I would sigh when they happened, but now amplified to a massive extent because of the dull environment, horrible character you're controlling and generally not caring about the story.

Ship stuff was good though, so I was very glad they focused on that as the redeeming feature of AC3 and basically made a game around it.

ogbg

BF was fun because of it's variety. The story was okish but seemed amazing compared to 3 and the new mechanics were fresh and fun. Combine that with new gen graphics and it makes sense it's so well regarded. The worst parts about it were the legacy AC stuff like the tailing junk.

Unity took all the wrong parts and ran with them.

The best thing about Unity was that it got rid of most of the tailing missions. I think there was one in the main storyline and one or two in side missions.

That original banner lol! Assassin's Creed is just such an easy target by this point, but Ubisoft did it all unto themselves, so you can't say it's undeserved.

What time does the embargo lift today then? I'm curious to see how this scores in comparison to Unity. nvm

Heartfyre

Yeah, I'm not pleased with an OT like that when we have no conclusive evidence that the game will be resembling Unity in terms of glitches or overall quality.

At this point, after enduring the whole narrative this game has been subjected to, I want it to score 9s across the board just so there's a crow banquet.

ogbg

I saw an unusual glitch in two of the streams I've watched where the character models are missing during the first cutscene where they meet the Scottish lady on the train. Every other stream I've watched is fine so I'm not quite sure what caused it. They were all on PS4. It's not a big deal to me but I could see it being posted online a lot if it happens when the game comes out.

Setsuna

Ship tailing in BF wasn't as bad as doing it on foot I found.

Welp, at least they've cut back on tailing for Syndicate from what I gather.

The modern story acted as a real drive for me to push and made me feel like I was going somewhere. I get we can't have a resolution as AC series must be annual/live on forever but a little more effort and cohesion there would be appreciated.

It would also be nice to finally get to play as a guy or girl in the modern day with Assassino abilities akin to Desmond. Who didn't enjoy parkouring in that Italian villa?haha

Seems like the modern story is mostly told in the numbered series

3 closed desmond story as he saved the world from the premonition he saw in the first Assassins creed

4 opened up new avenues with the Sage trying to bring back the ancient woman. And now we are collecting artifacts of eden to achieve that goal

While the OP might be funny, it's a shame for GAF. Someone open up a real OT, please.

Sounds like your sense of humor needs a patch. Stop getting so offended, it's tongue in cheek and the OP itself gave out all the information.

I'm so sorry that OP didnt worship AC in his post so that you wouldnt be offended.

Impulsor

3 closed desmond story as he saved the world from the premonition he saw in the first Assassins creed

4 opened up new avenues with the Sage trying to bring back the ancient woman. And now we are collecting artifacts of eden to achieve that goal

They did not close a thing.3 ended in a Huge cliffhanger, even with what happened at the end, and they ditched that storyline right after 3.

4 has an insignificant future story arc in comparison. And now Syndicate too? So yeah, why not just forget about it, like it never even happened, and that's it.

Hasney

Speaking of, have Ubi said what they're doing with numbers and subtitles now? Is there a strategy, or just doing what feels right?

Seemed like it was going to be a number for each new character in history at one point and the numbered entries sold a lot better with 3 doing gangbusters. So they did 4 straight after, now we've had all subtitles, but new characters each time. I'm not sure if they've totally ditched numbers or what.

Hanmik

TsrayhD.png

soon.......

Speaking of, have Ubi said what they're doing with numbers and subtitles now? Is there a strategy, or just doing what feels right?

Seemed like it was going to be a number for each new character in history at one point and the numbered entries sold a lot better with 3 doing gangbusters. So they did 4 straight after, now we've had all subtitles, but new characters each time. I'm not sure if they've totally ditched numbers or what.

Ubi's new mantra with this series is making it as accessible as possible. Adding a number makes the average consumer less likely to pick up a game with a 5 if they haven't played 1-4.

Also probably why the modern story/over-arching plot is all but gone, too.

ogbg

If Videogamer have a 'special' video, they either love the game or hate it. They tend not to do them for middling games.

Jim will love it I'm sure. He gave Unity an 8 or a 9 though so he may feel obliged to give this one a bad score to recover his credibility in the office.

Setsuna

They did not close a thing.3 ended in a Huge cliffhanger, even with what happened at the end, and they ditched that storyline right after 3.

4 has an insignificant future story arc in comparison. And now Syndicate too? So yeah, why not just forget about it, like it never even happened, and that's it.

What cliffhanger was left?

Oh you mean the cliffhanger where Juno said shes coming back and that the assassins would have to prepare for the war

Which is what we are doing now collecting the pieces of Eden to bring Juno back

AHA-Lambda

Uni said before they're stopping numbers for AC

If Videogamer have a 'special' video, they either love the game or hate it. They tend not to do them for middling games.

Burns gave impressions on the newest podcast, seemed to dislike it. Better than Unity still crap.
The special thing could be a gaf joke though :p

nOoblet16

I like the original banner, but it would have been better if it was used for later OTs or if the tittle of the OT didn't make it so obvious.

Impulsor

What cliffhanger was left?

Oh you mean the cliffhanger where Juno said shes coming back and that the assassins would have to prepare for the war

Which is what we are doing now collecting the pieces of Eden to bring Juno back

up till 3 the future story arc was advancing a lot. 4 did almost nothing with it and almost completely left Desmond out. I can't even remember about Unity either. Did they do something with that one?

I just hope they do something incredible with the future arc, on this game or in the next.

One question though, is the future character of this game the same one than 4?

I'm pretty sure that OTs for sequels often tend to reference their predecessors. Unity was, at launch, a glitchy mess. With how unsure we are about this game yet, I'd say this sort of OT is fair game, especially as it's just the title and banners, rather than going GLITCH LOL at every opportunity.

Kuldar

up till 3 the future story arc was advancing a lot. 4 did almost nothing with it and almost completely left Desmond out. I can't even remember about Unity either. Did they do something with that one?

I just hope they do something incredible with the future arc, on this game or in the next.

The modern plot isn't in the future, it's in the present time.

And I don't think we'll ever play as the same character than in AC4. Since AC4 we don't play an important character with a multi-games plot. We juste play a random man/woman that use an Abstergo product. In AC:BF it was some using it for work, in AC:Unity it was someone playing with it.

KORNdoggy

Ah come on, 3 happened. I'm not a fan of some of them but I won't argue that they're shitty (and I've not got around to Unity yet... Maybe one day), but 3 is god awful.

i didn't like AC3 either. hated the main character and thought the story was boring. BUT...AC3 was far from shitty. big rigs is shitty. robocop is shitty. unearthed is shitty. AC3 was just average for an AC game.

Shari

i didn't like AC3 either. hated the main character and thought the story was boring. BUT...AC3 was far from shitty. big rigs is shitty. robocop is shitty. unearthed is shitty. AC3 was just average for an AC game.

So by your logic no AAA title can be shitty? If production values are there even tho as a videogame is crap it can't be defined as shitty?

Well, I don't know what I expected to read in a AC thread.

Unity modern story:

"Hey you, guy playing the Abstergo video game (Helix machine.)
You're an assassin descendant you know. Come help us random assassin folks find pieces of Eden!"

Laughable.

ogbg

Considering their preview, 4/10 is my guess.
Hope it is a glitch video.

Jim is like the Crossing Eden of Videogamer so unless his taste in games has drastically changed in the year since he gave Unity an 8 I doubt it.

EDIT: Or unless Steve Burns is reviewing it

Kuldar

Unity modern story:

You're an assassin descendant you know. Come help us random assassin folks find pieces of Eden!"

Laughable.
Actually no, they don't say you are an assassin descendant. Lore wise, Helix let anyone explore a DNA history. So it's more like:

Abstergo is not showing you the true history. Come help us random assassin folks find pieces of Eden!"

AHA-Lambda

Jim is like the Crossing Eden of Videogamer so unless his taste in games has drastically changed in the year since he gave Unity an 8 I doubt it.

Even Jim's opinion is starting to waver on AC. He's by no means an apologist, and recognises it's getting stale.

julrik

Sorry for being completely off topic, but can someone please give me the username of a mod, so I can send that person a PM?

Naedtrax

Banned
Eh, big AC fan here and always will be. I like each game for what it is and am excited for each and every one regardless of reviews.

I really wish people would stop assuming something is bad just because of someone elses experience or opinion. You're going to miss out on some real gems if you do

Impulsor

The modern plot isn't in the future, it's in the present time.

And I don't think we'll ever play as the same character than in AC4. Since AC4 we don't play an important character with a multi-games plot. We juste play a random man/woman that use an Abstergo product. In AC:BF it was some using it for work, in AC:Unity it was someone playing with it.
Sorry for that little detail, it was a way of referencing that it's in the future from the Assassin character you are playing.

Unity modern story:

Laughable.

And yeah, it's laughable, even though you aren't really told you are a descendant, just that abstergo is lying and they want your help.

Top Bottom