• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Syndicate |OT| Once more unto the glitch

Do you guys think they will FINALLY go back to a pirate setting if the reviews for this are mediocre?

Assassins Creed 4 was soooo good! Why wouldn´t they just continue with that?

Unity took 4 years to make. perhaps they will now these are out the door. Going to be interesting what they do from now on.

Actually no, they don't say you are an assassin descendant. Lore wise, Helix let anyone explore a DNA history. So it's more like:

"Hey you, guy playing the Abstergo video game (Helix machine.)
Abstergo is not showing you the true history. Come help us random assassin folks find pieces of Eden!"

Oops! Yeah sorry I forgot anyone can now explore assassin memories.

Makes you wonder why Shawn and Rebecca can't do it themselves then :p

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Wasn't the PS3/360 AC they released last year a Black Flag-esque game? Was it good?

It's Black Flag 1.5, If you liked BF you will like Rogue.

I thought it was FAR better than Unity. I'd recommend the PC version if possible.

Hasney

It's Black Flag 1.5, If you liked BF you will like Rogue.

I thought it was FAR better than Unity. I'd recommend the PC version if possible.

Yeah, going to have to grab it on PC at some point. Was so sure it'd come to current consoles at some point.

Y'all are going to be very surprised when the reviews hit. Very.

I know I won't be. AC games always review well, and after Unity's malaise which journalists largely didn't complain of during launch, I expect the game to get good-great scores.

The only people expecting bomba scores are those indifferent to the series now but I don't see how this flops critically or commercially.

Wasn't the PS3/360 AC they released last year a Black Flag-esque game? Was it good?

it goes to the point, to the essential. If felt like Blaf Flag 1.5, love going through it, but I didn't bother with ANYTHING secondary, as it's exactly the same as Black Flag : I didn't bother exploring to get the same upgrades for the ship again, didn't bother the same side quest/collecaton for whatever better armor or swords.

But gameplay, environnements, story and mission design wise, it's one of the most focus AC and one of the most enjoyable.

ElitePinecone

Neo Member
Half an hour until reviews.

I'm hoping it's an improvement on Unity - I was a huge fan of AC (and kinda still am) but it's a series that has really struggled to be consistently good. Or even consistent.

Plus it'll be interesting to see how they've taken criticisms of the previous games into account. With an annualised series there's always a question mark over whether they have enough time to make substantial changes to respond to feedback.

Tizoc

I'm hoping it's an improvement on Unity - I was a huge fan of AC (and kinda still am) but it's a series that has really struggled to be consistently good. Or even consistent.

Plus it'll be interesting to see how they've taken criticisms of the previous games into account. With an annualised series there's always a question mark over whether they have enough time to make substantial changes to respond to feedback.

Thanks, was gonna ask when the embargo'll be up :3

ogbg

Not sure if it's based on feedback or not but they already made 2 improvements from Unity - you can whistle again and day/night cycle is back

Hasney

I know I won't be. AC games always review well, and after Unity's malaise which journalists largely didn't complain of during launch, I expect the game to get good-great scores.

The only people expecting bomba scores are those indifferent to the series now but I don't see how this flops critically or commercially.

Well in following the UK charts, Unity had the second worst opening of the series behing Black Flag (although that was 360/PS3 only for the opening week, so some people would have been waiting on it). If it reviews well, it'll be interesting to see if it does a lot better. See if it was word of mouth that made Unity sell worse or if it was people burnt out on too much AC.

EDIT: Should probably note that Rogue did so badly that we couldn't work out numbers for it.

everybody is expecting low scores. does this mean the game is good?
I sat with a friend as they played through review code. I didn't play myself but I was there for a good five or six hours beside them and both of us were surprised at what cutting out contrived things like
app centric shit
can do for a games scope.

Yoday

Well in following the UK charts, Unity had the second worst opening of the series behing Black Flag (although that was 360/PS3 only for the opening week, so some people would have been waiting on it). If it reviews well, it'll be interesting to see if it does a lot better. See if it was word of mouth that made Unity sell worse or if it was people burnt out on too much AC.

EDIT: Should probably note that Rogue did so badly that we couldn't work out numbers for it.
Well, to be fair Unity wasn't cross gen and launched to the smallest installed base in the series history.

I sat with a friend as they played through review code. I didn't play myself but I was there for a good five or six hours beside them and both of us were surprised at what cutting out contrived things like
app centric shit
can do for a games scope.
Interesting, is it built around micro transactions like Unity? If not then that makes it 10x better.

Well, to be fair Unity wasn't cross gen and launched to the smallest installed base in the series history.
I think the problems with Unity were more to do with ambition that they simply couldn't pull off rather than a smaller install base. Having more computing resources at hand doesn't mean you should try and squeeze more out of the machine when traditionally the AC teams have never been able to make any of those really well in terms of optimisation.

ogbg

Interesting, is it built around micro transactions like Unity? If not then that makes it 10x better.

There are micro-transactions like in Unity. You can purchase in-game pounds with real pounds (or dollars) if you are so inclined. I never felt like Unity was built around them at all though.

Hasney

True, that could have also played a factor. I can easily see it doing better than Unity, especially timing it with a PS4 price drop and having a bundle out there.

Yoday

I think the problems with Unity were more to do with ambition that they simply couldn't pull off rather than a smaller install base. Having more computing resources at hand doesn't mean you should try and squeeze more out of the machine when traditionally the AC teams have never been able to make any of those really well in terms of optimisation.
I was speaking to the sales numbers, not its technical problems.

Nugg

The series has fallen so low that even the print ads have glitches

M77UATF.jpg

Even in french, that's not how you spell Assassin

I want to see the original banner. Now I am feeling that I am missing out :(

EDIT: Oh, there is a link to it!
OMG! It's too good. Put it back on!

Top Bottom