• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassins Creed Unity Leaked PS4 version shots (Confirmed 900p / 30fps)

Koobion

Wow, and that anonymous Ubi dev took a shot at Mordor - saying it has next gen gameplay, but not next gen graphics; Mordor is better looking than this.

rbanke

900p is hardly "low-res"

I'm curious how compressed these screens are.

Looks like they were taken down.

I'd agree 900 isn't low-res, but every game I've played that is (900), has tons of jaggies and seems blurry. The 1080 games I've seen that also had noticeable jaggies were at least very crisp.

Also thanks re:videos. I'd like to see it in motion before I decide if I'm picking it up.

fallingdove

ACUnity-PS4-Leaked-6.jpg

This reminds me of AC Revelation's lighting.

53324-Tobal_2_(J)-2.jpg

Reminds me of Tobal 2's lighting.

It is probably 13 days before the Digital Foundry article.

I am having the feeling that some people will find it impossible to reserve their judgement and just go out and say that Unity will be a guaranteed graphical freakshow.

GAF never fails to deliver in these kind of threads.

What a blurry mess :(

Edit: My friend played it today at some show in Helsinki. He said AC IV looked better and now I believe him. He played Unity on X1 and ACIV on his PS4.

I thought the blurry mess comments were hyperbole, but then I looked at the images. They are very blurry

ubiblu

You all realise that the direct feed screenshoot feature of the PS4 compresses all shots right? Assuming that to be the case, these really aren't representative of the final product at all (shadows, maybe).

Piggus

I already addressed that. And if it was already that obvious without cropping then DF wouldn't have wasted their time cropping it.

Um, okay. The DF method is to give examples of places where resolution has an impact. Those areas are no less glaring when the whole screen is displayed. It's a lot easier to do that since you can compare versions side by side without having to switch between two full size screens.

You all realise that the direct feed screenshoot feature of the PS4 compresses all shots right? Assuming that to be the case, these really aren't representative of the final product at all (shadows, maybe).

The compression isn't that terrible. The blurriness is from upscaling from a lower resolution to 1080p.

_woLf

I find it interesting and equally as confusing that this game looks significantly worse in texture/overall image quality compared to Black Flag.

Huh.

GRaider81

I find it interesting and equally as confusing that this game looks significantly worse in texture/overall image quality compared to Black Flag.

Huh.

I agree but it seems you get shot down for that opinion.

Black flag looks great compared to this to me though I admit i don't appreciate all the technical details going on.

majik13

Huh.

I think it would be chalked up to the more realistic/softer lighting and larger scope. The videos showed some nice vistas. Games just had different priorities and focus.

_woLf

I think it would be chalked up to the more realistic/softer lighting and larger scope. The videos showed some nice vistas. Games just had different priorities and focus.

I don't disagree, it just really puts Ubisoft in a tough spot because of the whole resolution and framerate debacle. They hyped the hell out of how good the game was going to look and it's clearly gonna come up flat (no pun intended with the seemingly lack of any shadows in a lot of areas...)

Wasp

Come back cross-gen Assassin's Creed, all is forgiven.

Seriously, it's crazy how Unity is a game built from the ground up specifically for the current-gen consoles yet it somehow looks worse than AC4 which was essentially a port of a PS3/360 game.

Fuck this is super disappointing, I love the AC series, and when this was first revealed.. i knew it was too good to be true. Hopefully the gameplay holds up, I dont want another AC3. I almost gave up on the series then, but Black Flag was amazing.

Seanspeed

Banned
Come back cross-gen Assassin's Creed, all is forgiven.

Seriously, it's crazy how Unity is a game built from the ground up specifically for the current-gen consoles yet it somehow looks worse than AC4 which was essentially a port of a PS3/360 game.
While these screens are worrying, I think we should wait til the game is out proper just to be sure. It would be very strange that this actually looks worse than Black Flag.

Seanspeed

Banned
Isnt it double compression at that point? Ps4 screencap compression to imgur adding even more shit.
If that's how the screens were taken, yea definitely.

If it came from a capture card, then no(although capture quality might not be high in the first place, in which case, then it would add another layer of quality loss).

While these screens are worrying, I think we should wait til the game is out proper just to be sure. It would be very strange that this actually looks worse than Black Flag.
Am I hallucinating or doesn't Unity have some form of global illumination? If so I could see some things taking a hit so that the lighting can have more depth and variation.

Revelations at least had a day/night cycle, this game does not.
It doesn't? Well, shit.

majik13

I don't disagree, it just really puts Ubisoft in a tough spot because of the whole resolution and framerate debacle. They hyped the hell out of how good the game was going to look and it's clearly gonna come up flat (no pun intended with the seemingly lack of any shadows in a lot of areas...)

yeah does look more flat, and the game was presented that it would add all these cool new features and be bigger, but not at the expense of IQ. which now seems to be the case. and the shadow thing isnt exclusive to Unity. Seems we have just one source shadow, and a little bit of AO. most screens look to have the character in the main overall shadow. But wiith a lot of fill light/global illumination in the shadowed areas, so it doesnt come across as a shadowed area. game could benefit from more or stronger ambient occlusion fake shadow solultion in these areas.

This game doesn't have dynamic time of day?

Am I hallucinating or doesn't Unity have some form of global illumination? If so I could see some things taking a hit so that the lighting can have more depth and variation.

It doesn't? Well, shit.

Wait theres no night day cycle?

According to a Kotaku article from the summer, it doesn't. Yves gaf account also said there was no day/night cycle, and that email that giantbomb received after the parity debacle mentioned pre-baked lighting.

I'm still hoping there is a day/night cycle, but right now it's looking like there isn't.

jonezer4

Nope, probably cause it took up 25 gigs for the current lighting alone apparently.

I don't understand. If you're baking the lighting, wouldn't that all just be put into the color texture and be essentially "free"? The statement that they're baking lighting, and it took up 25 gigs seems incongruous to me, but I'm probably just confused.

Top Bottom